The Dreamer - Sound

The Dreamer - Sound

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SpookyElk.6041

SpookyElk.6041

You all know what I’m talking about. I’ve been using the legendary shortbow on my main thief since before it had footprints. Lately I find myself and people around me annoyed by the sounds it makes. For a while I tried to ignore it and even turned down my sound, but just knowing it bothers other people around me makes me feel bad to use my own weapon.

Please remove the noise from the Dreamer so I can have sweet dreams again. Until then, I will sadly use a different skin.

Anyone else agree it would be better off with no sound like before?

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

The Dreamer was fine for a long time, but I don’t think there is a point in the games history where people weren’t whining about the sound it makes. So Anet keeps trying to fix it, and it keeps getting worse.
I’m tired of it being changed every time someone complains about it.
The sounds are fine, they do not need to be taken away, and there are people, such as myself, who have pointed out that a good compromise would be to have the horse sounds firing off randomly (once between every 5 to 10 shots). It would let the bow have it’s identifying sound, without making it annoyingly repetitive. However Anet’s only attempts to fix the issue have been the change the sound itself, which has had negative results.
I like the sounds, and I do not want them removed, however there are compromises that I feel are totally acceptable, it’s just that no-one seems to want to work on a compromise.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

The Dreamer was fine for a long time, but I don’t think there is a point in the games history where people weren’t whining about the sound it makes. So Anet keeps trying to fix it, and it keeps getting worse.
The sounds are fine, they do not need to be taken away, and there are people, such as myself, who have pointed out that a good compromise would be to have the horse sounds firing off randomly (once between every 5 to 10 shots). It would let the bow have it’s identifying sound, without making it annoyingly repetitive. However Anet’s only attempts to fix the issue have been the change the sound itself, which has had negative results.
I like the sounds, and I do not want them removed, however there are compromises that I feel are totally acceptable, it’s just that no-one seems to want to work on a compromise.

Sure, a compromise: Make an option to turn off legendary effects all together. Both graphics and sound. The legendary weapons often get in the way of other people trying to do puzzles (or other places that involve jumping, like the uncategorised fractal).

Or make a completely different sound for the dreamer that wouldn’t make the mad king thorn sparkle with rainbows when it shoots.. One that isn’t of the kind that goes straight in the nervous system and makes little gibs go down the spine like little needles poking in your bones.

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The Dreamer is my main weapon and the sound genuinely doesn’t bother me (maybe because when I have the sound on it’s fairly quiet). But it’s probably my least favourite part of the weapon.

It would be nice if it could be toned down somehow. I think just lowering the pitch so it’s a deeper sound would help.

Or as other people have said playing it less frequently. Although I think already if there’s a lot going on (like a big group of people attacking the same boss) the sound doesn’t play every time I shoot.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

I would be happy about removing the Incinerator sound on Ele Fire #1 Dragonclaw.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Wisper.2764

Wisper.2764

Gotta +1 this. Like a lot of players i don’t actually play with sound, and if i do it will be quiet at least. People aways complain about my The Dreamer, and since i’m farming about the entire time in the Labirinth i get people whispering me that they are tired of hearing its sound. -sigh- Not changing my skin because of them tho

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

FWIW, I don’t mind the sound. I wouldn’t be opposed to reducing the frequency, but otherwise just leave it alone.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: HolyWood.7853

HolyWood.7853

Sound is fine in my opinion. It is already implemented that it won’t trigger on every shot. Also keep in mind that half of the people crafted/bought it for the sound.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Sound is great. Big reason I got Dreamer.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

The sound honestly bugs the crap out of me. I find that, in a large group of people, if someone has the dreamer, the sound of it is twice as loud as normal weapon sounds. I’ve been farming in the Labyrinth the past few days and I’ve literally contemplated deleting the Dreamer sfx from my GW2 files just so I wouldn’t have to listen to it anymore.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

They changed the sound file about a year ago so now the sound pitches from hi to low like everything else. Also shortbow #5 trigger the sound twice which is annying

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Love the look, but it has the most annoying sound ever.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I don’t have the dreamer, but I’ve had wvw players and meta zerglings fire this weapon at me or right in my ear. People like me are over the annoyance.

If you made the weapon you should be proud, you should NOT feel guilty about a sound you have no control over. If people are whispering you, suggest to them they make it.

There are people with legendaries they are proud of, whether they bought them or made them they will obnoxiously flaunt them. There will be people that obtain the legendary armor that flaunt it in everyone else’s faces, it will most likely be annoying. The Dreamer will soon be far less annoying, unless one day in the future you find yourself next to a glowy, purposely transforming theif firing The Dreamer…

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: OJM.5103

OJM.5103

best noise in game

[GAMW]

The Dreamer - Sound

Danikat.8537

I’ll tell you what, it might not annoy me but it’s really disconcerting when someone else is using it around me. (As just happened in the Labyrinth.)

Even though it’s not that unusual to see one I’ve apparently come to associate that noise with my attacks specifically, so when I start hearing it while I’m using a different weapon or not even attacking it just sounds wrong. I thought I was imagining it at first.

If you made the weapon you should be proud, you should NOT feel guilty about a sound you have no control over. If people are whispering you, suggest to them they make it.

As far as I remember I’ve had precisely two negative whispers about the Dreamer. One was just recently and said “plz not horse I cant even” which is barely even a sentence but after realising there was no more forthcoming and thinking about it for a bit I guessed they didn’t like the sound.

The other one I cannot repeat here but they started from a mistaken assumption about my gender and sexuality and went on to accuse me of some fairly bizarre hobbies, then got reported for verbal abuse and blocked.

I’ve had far more positive comments. Still not a lot, I think by the time I made one legendaries were common enough that it wasn’t a big deal to see one, but some people will comment on it still.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: nickhimself.2739

nickhimself.2739

I’ve literally contemplated deleting the Dreamer sfx from my GW2 files

Can we actually do this? Where is this sound file located?

To anyone who has crafted this weapon: your enjoyment of this item shouldn’t be hinged on whether or not the rest of us have to see/hear it as well. Seriously this item is annoying to be around, and I genuinely don’t care if that makes some of you upset. Hearing neighneighneighneighneighneighneighneighneigh nonstop in Lab shouldn’t be remedied with “just turn the sound off”

Uh… people were paid money and spent a lot of time working on the sounds for this game. I want to be able to enjoy that. I don’t want all of the ambiance drowned out by a bad horse sound file that won’t stop playing.

There really needs to be an option added to turn off legendary particles and/or sounds separate from one another, so those with lower end graphics cards can still enjoy the game, and those who want to farm in zergs aren’t frustrated that someone’s trying as hard as possible to fire their bow eighty-five thousand times per second because horses.

I don’t understand the need to have it make noises on fire anyway. It already shoots little rainbow darts or whatever else it’s got going on. Why does it have to keep announcing it’s presence to everyone in the area?

The Dreamer - Sound

Danikat.8537

As much as I agree that we shouldn’t have to stop using it I have been experimenting with other weapons I could use on my ranger and I’ve found Axe/Torch a pretty good alternative.

I can’t remember why I stopped using main hand axe, other than I prefer using a bow. But it works for the lab – fast attack rate on all 3 skills (and torch gives you a 4th ranged skill) and 2 is a spread attack, just like shortbow.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

As a Dreamer owner, I just wanted to say that I did not make it for you to look at, I made it for me to look at. For me to enjoy. I did not make it to troll anyone and I didn’t make it to be annoying. I love the skin, I love the hoofprint trails and I love the unicorns…it amuses me to kill things with unicorns. I get my enjoyment from a rather silly weapon and whoever can get theirs with a huge screen taking up GS or whatever legendary you happen to prefer. Lumping every one who ever made a Dreamer into one big troll pile isn’t cool…that’s not why some of us made it. It’s not my fault the noises bug you just as it’s not someone’s fault while standing in a stack I can’t see anything because of a huge GS or a Norn/Charr butt in my face.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

They say “Don’t hate the player hate the game” but when I hear someone near me with a Dreamer I start to hate the player… despite the fact that it was Anet made the most annoying sounding weapon in the game, they did not force anyone to use it, so I blame them both.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: eliroth.3869

eliroth.3869

Seriously, they could just omit legendary effects ala Effect LOD setting.

The Dreamer - Sound

Danikat.8537

They say “Don’t hate the player hate the game” but when I hear someone near me with a Dreamer I start to hate the player… despite the fact that it was Anet made the most annoying sounding weapon in the game, they did not force anyone to use it, so I blame them both.

They don’t force anyone to use it but if you like the Dreamer there isn’t a way around it.

It’s not like we can just pick one of the other weapons that shoots rainbows and unicorns. As far as I know this is the only one in any game that does that. That’s why I got it and why I love using it. I love it enough that I don’t mind the sound (as noted earlier I always have the sound for the entire game fairly quiet which probably makes it less annoying) and I’m not going to stop using it on the off chance that someone around me doesn’t like it, just as I don’t expect people to stop using spider pets and minis because they terrify me.

The way I see it there are 3 possible solutions for this (listed in no particular order):

1) Add an option which enables players to disable this sound on their end. Either just the Dreamer sound or all legendary sounds.

• Pros: only affects people who want it.
  • Cons: if it only disables the one sound there will be numerous requests for similar options for other weapons. If it has other effects (e.g. disable all legendary sounds and effects) it may put people off using it. Would you want to turn off the Dreamer sound if it also meant your Twilight looked like a normal sword?

2) Give Dreamer uses the ability to disable it for their own weapon.

• Pros: Can then be switched on and off as needed.
  • Cons: Players may be unfairly pressured to use it or subjected to abuse if they don’t. The person who is getting annoyed cannot do anything and the person who can may not be annoyed by it.

3) Change the sound it makes.

• Pros: Probably the easiest to do and removes any responsibility from players.
  • Cons: Last time they did this it made it worse. Unless the person making the change understands what the problem is and how to fix it there’s no guarantee it will help. It may upset some of the people using the weapon and the new sound may be annoying for a whole new group of people.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

agreed 1 isnt bad. but when your stuck in say a dungeon with 4 of them constantly. yeah it gets annoying. but 1 is mostly fine.

im bad at sarcasm

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Odinius.9826

Odinius.9826

Or just give it an awesome neighing sound when drawn/sheathe that could come with a prancing unicorn animation.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

3) Change the sound it makes.

I’ll admit, the first time I ran into Dreamer, years ago, I thought it was hilarious. Once.

Problem is, Shortbow skills on both classes that use it are very quick. 3/4 sec, if I recall right. So suddenly, “NeighNeighNeighNeighNeighNeighNeighNeighNeighNeigh” whenever one gets near me. And I treat that person as a leper or pariah.

That’s not particularly fair to the player. It’s not the player’s fault that the once-cute horsey noise plays on every attack. It plays one attack sound before the other is even done playing. That’s absurd. Give Dreamer an internal cooldown of a few seconds or only play the sound on abilities 2-5, and the problem would be solved.

Building on that, I guess have a counter of X times before it plays the horsey shot on auto attacks (ie, internal cooldown) and have a secondary sound that plays in between.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I’ll admit I’ve mentioned the ‘terrible sound’ a few times when encountering such a player during an event or boss. Because even though I don’t own one and use one, that short time period is already enough to make it worth a mute lol. They should add a sound cooldown to it or something, or make it fire off certain skills rather than auto attacks.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Link the legendary sounds with one of the sound sliders, like the player musical instruments or something, that lets players enable/disable it as they please. (Off in my case)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I’ve literally contemplated deleting the Dreamer sfx from my GW2 files

Can we actually do this? Where is this sound file located?

To anyone who has crafted this weapon: your enjoyment of this item shouldn’t be hinged on whether or not the rest of us have to see/hear it as well. Seriously this item is annoying to be around, and I genuinely don’t care if that makes some of you upset. Hearing neighneighneighneighneighneighneighneighneigh nonstop in Lab shouldn’t be remedied with “just turn the sound off”

Uh… people were paid money and spent a lot of time working on the sounds for this game. I want to be able to enjoy that. I don’t want all of the ambiance drowned out by a bad horse sound file that won’t stop playing.

There really needs to be an option added to turn off legendary particles and/or sounds separate from one another, so those with lower end graphics cards can still enjoy the game, and those who want to farm in zergs aren’t frustrated that someone’s trying as hard as possible to fire their bow eighty-five thousand times per second because horses.

I don’t understand the need to have it make noises on fire anyway. It already shoots little rainbow darts or whatever else it’s got going on. Why does it have to keep announcing it’s presence to everyone in the area?

I actually target and point out the people with the trollbow now. (I’ve been referring to it that way for ages.)

As someone who primarily plays using headphones, I’ve rage-quit more than once due to the horrifically irritating noise it produces.

Someone at Anet must enjoy trolling, since there’s no reason I can see that this has the effect it does, and has been left un-muted for all this time.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

I’d rather they categorize all Legendary sound effects as musical instruments if Anet doesn’t want to add another category for them since there’s already a slider bar for it.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

The Dreamer - Sound

Posted by: CedarDog.9723

CedarDog.9723

Why not make the legendary weapons have discrete game sound files that we can replace with something else or just delete/rename to disable that particular sound locally?