The Economy: Draining the Liquid Gold

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

By the power of the forum bug – squishy I am powerful.
Liquid gold from junk items worth 1copper x10 = Neligable as this drops from events.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

TPMN.1483

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Junk_item
So the MAX Value of a Junk item is 16copper.

I think its fair to say with rates this low and drops like this the amount this contributes to a gold/hr in liquid gold rewards is minimal.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

As an FYI, some junk items are worth more.

G R E E N E R

TPMN.1483

We are aware how much the shiney baubels are worth – and it has been noted already in the thread.
It takes many events to get these – and the amount of liquid gold/hr is still very low compared to other sources.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

We are aware how much the shiney baubels are worth – and it has been noted already in the thread.
It takes many events to get these – and the amount of liquid gold/hr is still very low compared to other sources.

It may be a low per hour of liquid gold but until you have an idea how many of the these 30 silver baubles are awarded each day you can’t say that the overall incoming gold is reduced. All you can say that the high dungeon type max gold per char is reduced.

The wiki isn’t correct in all the maps that have them. They are in the HoT map bonuses also. All those people doing those meta events on those maps and all the people doing events on the old maps who get these junk items worth 30 silver each as event rewards could be matching the flow of gold to dungeon runners.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I noticed that the maps that give out shiny baubles for events all (as far as I’ve seen) give a 10 bauble reward at some point. Not too bad.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The silver bauble rewards are arguably better than high dungeon rewards. Not only are they rewarding people for doing events on the maps with everyone else instead of disappearing into instanced content, but there were consequence to one group of people getting sizable amounts of gold everyday for farming dungeons and the other people who do events instead and only getting a silver or two per event. While some were getting rich, others were having trouble getting gold, unless they crafted or farmed to sell to the rich dungeon runners.

I’m betting that ANet looked at the overall gold incoming back then and set the baubles reward rate to approximately match that gold.

ANet may give it to you.

Greener.6204

What I would find more intriguing is trying to measure the effects of the baubles on the economy, as they are not offered every week (though yes, the wiki does need updating).
Teasing out all of the other effects on the economy, such as new content releases, etc. may be hard, but I wonder if we can see the prices of general goods rise/fall depending on if baubles are being given out on a particular week.

G R E E N E R

TPMN.1483

It takes 40 events to get the 10 shiney baubels – doing 40 events takes significant time to get this return. You will certainly not be getting 3g/hr just doing events in liquid gold.

The map rewards are already scripted and known what the results are.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It takes 40 events to get the 10 shiney baubels – doing 40 events takes significant time to get this return. You will certainly not be getting 3g/hr just doing events in liquid gold.

The map rewards are already scripted and known what the results are.

Again

It may be a low per hour of liquid gold but until you have an idea how many of the these 30 silver baubles are awarded each day you can’t say that the overall incoming gold is reduced. All you can say that the high dungeon type max gold per char/account is reduced

The per char/account gold was nerfed. That’s not the same as a nerf to the amount of gold incoming overall.

ANet knew exactly how much gold was coming in from dungeons. To offset that nerf they added the baubles to events. That incoming gold could be (and probably is) enough to approximately match the loss of dungeon gold. In that case the amount of gold coming in to the economy would be the same.

ANet may give it to you.

Greener.6204

Yes, but that’s looking at individual accounts, and not all accounts. As a quick example:

100 players x (3g/hour from dungeons) = 1000 players x (1 shiny bauble/hour)

Obviously you can argue on the nuances of the ratios I just made up, but the basic arguments of wealth being spread out to more players, and the influx of total gold into economy staying the same, are rather reasonable.

G R E E N E R

TPMN.1483

So a quick summary:
Liquid Gold income has been reduced from many sources including Dungeons (which may get raised). It is now harder to earn liquid gold – it is becoming a rarer commodity.

From the TLDR – this we all seem to be agreeing on (from the first post).

I am talking about individual liquid gold rather than across the whole economy.

Just a flesh wound.3589

So a quick summary:
Liquid Gold income has been reduced from many sources including Dungeons (which may get raised). It is now harder to earn liquid gold – it is becoming a rarer commodity.

It’s harder to earn individual liquid gold if you used to do dungeons to earn gold. If you did events then your ability to gain individual liquid gold has improved.

With more people getting this gold increase, although small, it means that more people have gold to spend instead of a smaller population (the dungeon runners) having the gold to spend. This means that more gold is flowing around through the economy if it’s not concentrated in the wallets of those doing dungeons.

If a relative few are making the bulk of the gold and the rest are getting a few silver here and there, that’s not a good thing for the economy. Once the dungeon runners get what they want, then that gold just sits in their wallet doing nothing and for all practical purposes might as well not be there. More gold spread out, even if thinly, is more gold that goes to buying and causes trade to be brisker.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So a quick summary:

Wether an individual is able to earn more or less gold since HoT is irrelevant for your theory that there is less gold in the economy.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

TPMN.1483

Looking at an individual rather than the wide economy – pre HOT liquid gold was much easier to earn than after HoT,

Therefore to the individual it is becoming a scarcer item- although it may be being distributed out to more people (smaller amounts).

An individual’s purchasing power is what’s important in the grand scheme of things.
This has decreased if they personally are earning less gold overall and static cost items remain the same (commander pins etc).

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think you’re looking at the situation too narrowly. You’re looking at it from a dungeon runners point of view and not seeing it from the point of view of the non dungeon runners. You’re not seeing the effect of a few people getting large amounts of gold and the rest scraping by with a few silver from doing events.

Any economy where the bulk of the income is concentrated in the wallets of a relative few is a top heavy, inefficient economy. Trade is slower and is more dependent on what the rich want or need, not what that masses want or need. Adding more gold to the pockets of the non dungeon runners means that they now have more gold to spend. Trade speeds up. The economy runs hotter with more items being bought. There’s more gold to make, even if it’s not first hand liquid gold.

The dungeon runners are making less gold but not everyone is making less gold and the spread in wealth is arguably better and is freeing up trade.

ANet may give it to you.

Greener.6204

Looking at an individual rather than the wide economy – pre HOT liquid gold was much easier to earn than after HoT,

Therefore to the individual it is becoming a scarcer item- although it may be being distributed out to more people (smaller amounts).

An individual’s purchasing power is what’s important in the grand scheme of things.
This has decreased if they personally are earning less gold overall and static cost items remain the same (commander pins etc).

If we’re going to take a myopic view of this gold situation, then let’s go to anecdotes.

I’ve played this game since it released. The money in my account barely got to ~230 gold before HoT. I never made money; never cared.

After HoT released, I managed to gather enough money to buy Zap off the TP (with a 100g gift from a friend), and craft Bolt. I then got myself back up to ~130g, saw the Dominator skins, and bought two. I then got myself back to 30g, and spent the rest yesterday on guild upgrades.

I have no idea where this money is coming from; frankly I don’t care. I’m making way more money now than ever before, and it’s not from selling mats. I hoard. I’m getting liquid gold.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Trophies are also sold as junk as well FYI. Many of said trophies are also worth a considerable amount. Additionally, Fractal runners can accumulate a decent amount of them.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Manuscript_of_%27Proposal_for_a_1:1_Scale_Map_of_Tyria%27

TPMN.1483

On average each cracked fractal box is with .60-70s- if you buy the key/box it’s not worth it as most of the items inside are now worthless.

This is why fotm gives you a limited amount of gold for your 1 HR- if you do all the swamps/Daliys it’s about 10g for your HR.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

On average each cracked fractal box is with .60-70s- if you buy the key/box it’s not worth it as most of the items inside are now worthless.

This is why fotm gives you a limited amount of gold for your 1 HR- if you do all the swamps/Daliys it’s about 10g for your HR.

Not really. You either break even or make a substantial profit from the encryptions. If you’re a fractal runner, you drop enough encryptions in a day that you can buy the 30 keys a day, with no net loss in gold. You only have a net loss if you buy the encryptions and only get the basic trophies.