The Eternity issue

The Eternity issue

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DaedSaint.6190

DaedSaint.6190

Yes, this topic has been brought up many times. I want to keep it fresh in everyone’s minds and hopefully Anets. Speaking of I know many posts solicit responses but some feedback on this is much needed.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/What-Eternity-Should-Look-Like

This was a post from an archived forum about a possibility of a new eternity skin made by a very talented artist, and while I am not saying it has to be this one, it wouldn’t be a bad one.

Anet, you have given us some killer looking Legendary weapons, but the “ultimate” one is merely the two before it that flip-flop plus a glowing orb on the end. Lets be honest, for giving up two legendaries to make this one the payoff is not equal to the work invested. The market is reflecting this. Currently the price of Bolt has skyrocketed and is approaching the price of Eternity. Granted it is highly unlikely that Bolt will ever reach Eternity’s price but the price of a combined legendary weapon should dwarf the rest. This is simply evidence that the community at large is dissatisfied with the current state of this weapon.

Anet, you have created a beautiful game. Your artistic staff is surely something to behold. Far be it from me to tell you what you are or are not capable of, simply from observing this game it should be quite easy for you to come up with a design that blows us away. Alternatively, observe the responses to the above post. I share their opinion that that design is quite…well, awesome.

Anet, please hear your community on this. Both the forums and the market are begging for their voice to be heard. For those who wish to keep Eternity as is, I believe that they should be allowed to. However, for the rest of us, this “ultimate” weapon certainly deserves a skin on par with its intended status.

Saint Acardos – [INCO]/[VoX] – DR
“Why do I need damage? I brought a thief.”

(edited by DaedSaint.6190)

The Eternity issue

Posted by: ICEing.9237

ICEing.9237

I agree with what you’re saying but let’s be honest:
Eternity is the very least of their worries atm

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I’m guessing you don’t know how the game works.

If you notice that the twilight and sunrise are using reflective textures. The angle of what you look at the blade determines what you see.

It will never happen on what that thread is trying to suggest, nor will Anet waste time on it and man power on it.

Give up.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

I own Sunrise and Juggernaut. I want something special too!

Get real and be happy you can merge the two into a single, better looking one and still have access to the previous skins.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Now… While I agree with most of the other posters that this will never happen… you guys really could be nicer about it. Geez.

OP, rather than suggest an update to eternity, you could suggest a gem store item, a quest item, something, that could be used to improve the looks of all legendaries. So thus could be eternity’s, but there could be one for all of them. To improve colors or to make the auras bigger… that sort of thing.

And again folks, be nice. No reason to cause animosity needlessly.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Bartosz.2013

Bartosz.2013

Meh, They should at least fix eternitys bugs

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

That picture looks really great .. so .. as long as i don’t have the money to buy it it should better NOT look that way, since else i really want to have it

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Eternity is fine. It got it’s unique-ness to allow people to show off their kitten if that’s how they roll.

There are much more important things to do than tweak something only a very minor few have.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Eternity is in a good place. The only blemish is the bugged skill animations.

If you want Eternity to be fixed, you need to get in line – there are other legendaries that deserve attention, and there are even more other issues that need to be looked at other than cosmetics.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

I like my eternity, but the only thing I’m not very happy about is its aura. I find sunrise aura better and more legendary-looking. It needs to have a better aura as it’s a combined and 2x expensive legendary weapon.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

I’m guessing you don’t know how the game works.

If you notice that the twilight and sunrise are using reflective textures. The angle of what you look at the blade determines what you see.

It will never happen on what that thread is trying to suggest, nor will Anet waste time on it and man power on it.

Give up.

I’m not entirely sure on how they made the weapons, but it is definitely not a ‘reflection’.

How I assume it was done (roughly, I’m no artist/graphic designer):
1 – Create picture to be viewed.
2 – Create a cylindrical mesh.
3 – Create the “window blade” (Doing whatever they did to make the window)
4 – Wrap picture to the INSIDE wall of the cylindrical mesh.
5 – Outer wall of the mesh made to be 100% transparent.
6 – Place the mesh to surround the “blade”.
7 – Insert the other 10+ steps they probably did.
18 – Super sexy blade complete.

However they made the first ones, all they’d have to do now is copy+paste, and replace the sunrise/twilight picture with a new picture, which one person could do in less than a day if they wanted to.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

This is your main issue with Eternity? The way it looks like? I’d consider the fact you can craft it, selling and walking away with over 3500g and getting to keep the progressive skins unlock for Twilight & Sunrise to be a greater cause for concern.

The Eternity issue

Umut.5471

This is your main issue with Eternity? The way it looks like? I’d consider the fact you can craft it, selling and walking away with over 3500g and getting to keep the progressive skins unlock for Twilight & Sunrise to be a greater cause for concern.

Legendaries are high-grade cosmetic items, so cosmetic is the first concern when it comes to legendary weapons. They are the end-game target, so their cosmetics have to be fixed/tuned too.
Also you will lose gold if you craft & sell eternity.
It costs ~4500 gold + karma/exploration etc etc., and tp sell price is only ~3800.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Neva Eilhart.5347

Neva Eilhart.5347

Bolt price is higher now because most legendary hunters made Twilight/Sunrise/Eternity as their first legendary weapon. Now that pretty much every player got these, players are farming for less commonly used weapons, such as Bolt.

(edited by Neva Eilhart.5347)

The Eternity issue

Realist.5812

These are the original Sunrise/Twilight images before being applied to the invisible meshes or whatever it is they did:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/What-Eternity-Should-Look-Like/page/5#post3427382

Page 1, 4 and 5 contain some cool Eternity suggestions. Well not so much the rainbow one on page 4.

With no response from the guys with the power to change it.

ALL IS VAIN.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i think the look its stupid and should be changed i really likehttps://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/127538/Eternity_Idea.jpg its SOOOO epic guys so so EPIC

The Eternity issue

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

The suggested design is really amazing!!!!

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Dark Jackson.3417

Dark Jackson.3417

Yeah indeed +1 to that. It’s less lazyly done

Attachments:

The Eternity issue

Umut.5471

Yeah indeed +1 to that. It’s less lazyly done

+1 to this design. I think dark and light designs must be combined constantly without day/night cycle.
At day or night it just looks like twilight/sunrise. A better design difference is needed.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Even if they wanted to change it to the suggested design, it would be a major legal headache. No way it’s happening. Just no way.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Mossy Gargoyle.3274

Mossy Gargoyle.3274

Rejoice! From the most recent patch notes:

The legendary greatsword Eternity:
Added a new projectile replacement effect.
Added new weapon-drawing effects.
Enhanced the footfall effects.
Enhanced the drawn-state effects to further distinguish it from the legendary greatswords Sunrise and Twilight.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

anyone got a vid or screenie of the new look?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

The Eternity issue

Vol.7601

anyone got a vid or screenie of the new look?

from reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/Q18WfHZ.jpg

sexy

The Eternity issue

Vol.7601

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Snoctopus.7084

Snoctopus.7084

When I logged in and saw mine, I was totally pumped. It looks great.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Now any time someone says the Devs don’t listen, everyone can point to Eternity and say, even if it takes them forever, they can get it done.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Now any time someone says the Devs don’t listen, everyone can point to Eternity and say, even if it takes them forever, they can get it done.

They fix a small thing that affects <1% of people, but ruin things that affect the masses in the same patch.

It’s not even a silver lining at this point lol.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

sigh Nothing is ever good enough for some…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Because those who don’t have Eternity will benefit from this, right?

Sheep mentality is amusing.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

This is something that many people have been asking for, even people who don’t have it simply because they’re aware of it. Also, because it’s almost exclusively textural in nature it was probably much easier to fix of all the things people have been asking for. Maybe put some context and weight management into your belief structure before begrudging people their opinions.

I do not, and will not ever have an eternity. I will probably never have any legendary because I just don’t like them. But I can support this, because I understand the need those who had it had in wanting it changed. Of course I also don’t understand why there are three greatsword legendaries, when you can only wield one, but one dagger, axe, or sword of which you can potentially wield two.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I love the new aura at night but I really still don’t like sunrise

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

The Eternity issue

Umut.5471

New footfalls are awesome but I have to say that aura is still barely visible on big characters(like norn and charr), it needs wider aura like the bifrost. Considering it requires 2x the price of these greatswords, color/texture change like suggested on these threads to distinguish it from its combined parts, twilight and sunrise would be good.

The Eternity issue

Realist.5812

Bladetrail looks epic… it throws a twilight and sunrise together in a sort of X shape.

Interested to see guardian spins/whirl finisher in action

ALL IS VAIN.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They’ve exaggerated a bit on footstep effects, more of that and it’ll be on pair with rainbow-pooping unicorn particlefest.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

The Eternity issue

Posted by: nickcosta.8256

nickcosta.8256

Just got my Eternity Yesterday (Woot!). Looks awesome.
But two things really bug me.

1) Twilight’s aura compared to Sunrise’s is hardy visible on any char, was REALLY disappointed when i only had Twilight. And now the same thing. Day time is awesome, night time is MEH.

2) Can’t see ANY aura on my big charr!!! Looks amazing on my big norn female..the only little bit of aura i can see on my char is..on the lower bottom of the body and between the legs? -.-

Charr is not happy >:@

Gandara (TAC)
15chars

The Eternity issue

Umut.5471

Just got my Eternity Yesterday (Woot!). Looks awesome.
But two things really bug me.

1) Twilight’s aura compared to Sunrise’s is hardy visible on any char, was REALLY disappointed when i only had Twilight. And now the same thing. Day time is awesome, night time is MEH.

2) Can’t see ANY aura on my big charr!!! Looks amazing on my big norn female..the only little bit of aura i can see on my char is..on the lower bottom of the body and between the legs? -.-

Charr is not happy >:@

I agree, It’s very visible on slim characters but it’s invisible on bulky characters like charr/norn(male). Aura looks great on human female mesmer, while there’s nearly no aura on my charr guardian.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

I completely agree with you. Sheep mentality IS amusing. For example: Sheep seem to think it takes ALL of ArenaNet staff to stop what they’re doing to fix one weapon. Always makes me laugh when non-developers talk about developer time.

Dare I ask you to educate yourself on such matters before you speak of them?

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I completely agree with you. Sheep mentality IS amusing. For example: Sheep seem to think it takes ALL of ArenaNet staff to stop what they’re doing to fix one weapon. Always makes me laugh when non-developers talk about developer time.

Dare I ask you to educate yourself on such matters before you speak of them?

Gold.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

The Eternity issue

Umut.5471

I took some screenshots from different races, as you can see, bigger and bulkier characters or males don’t have very visible aura. Charr as heavy class don’t even have visible aura, because it stays inside the character(and armor), it doesn’t scale up with the thickness of a character. That causes aura to look good only on female(slim) characters. Please fix this and add an unified single special aura for both night and day. Night(twilight) aura doesn’t look good and is barely visible compared to day(sunrise) aura. It will be perfect after aura fixes… You can also change the hilt of eternity to distinguish it from twilight and sunrise.
I want to thank designers for this remake anyway.

Attachments:

The Eternity issue

Posted by: nickcosta.8256

nickcosta.8256

^
Exactly what he said x1000

:)

Gandara (TAC)
15chars

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I own Sunrise and Juggernaut. I want something special too!

Get real and be happy you can merge the two into a single, better looking one and still have access to the previous skins.

most likely merging weapons will only be of the same type otherwise there are to many combinations.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lets be honest, for giving up two legendaries to make this one the payoff is not equal to the work invested.

Arguably true, but it’s not like they’re fooling anyone. You can find out exactly what you’re getting with a couple minutes of Googling, so in my mind, if you put in the effort, it’s obviously worth it to you, or else you wouldn’t have done it.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

The Eternity issue

Umut.5471

Lets be honest, for giving up two legendaries to make this one the payoff is not equal to the work invested.

Arguably true, but it’s not like they’re fooling anyone. You can find out exactly what you’re getting with a couple minutes of Googling, so in my mind, if you put in the effort, it’s obviously worth it to you, or else you wouldn’t have done it.

I think so too, but still, they can improve it to look ~2x better than its components for people to think it worths crafting.
I also agree that we need other combined super-legendaries for other weapon types too. These are(with other legendaries) the main gold sinks(and goals for many people) of the game and this is the most valuable item, not another ordinary item.
To sum up, I think it’s a design issue, it doesn’t require so much developer effort as many people think here. It’s current situation is good after the last patch, it just needs some mini-fixes as I mentioned in my post above.

The Eternity issue

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Yes, this…

Have you seen eternity in-game?
It was polished just to the point of perfection recently. Amazing footsteps, an extra shiny pommel, and new particle effects truly worthy of both sunrise and twilight.
But some people are not satisfied with it – and there’s a lot of them – that’s because they are either light, either dark, and eternity goes against such an idea – they are fine with just sunrise/twilight. And the game has gifted them with an ability to keep their desired Legendary skin and sell off eternity. And that is the true reason behind the eternity pricefall.

(edited by Evalia.7103)

The Eternity issue

Umut.5471

I also have an idea and suggestion about eternity/sunrise transitions. Instead of day/night transitions, more frequent transitions in combat with an unified aura would be better for a greatsword like eternity. For example, risen high wizard(at the gates of arah) has something like this if you have noticed. His greatsword changes from sunrise to twilight in combat.