The Flaws Of Zergplay

The Flaws Of Zergplay

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

1. No meaningful difficulty will ever be present in a fight.

2. Animation only telegraphs are useless.

3. Amazing character/model design goes to waste.

4. Good boss/mob gameplay design goes to waste.

Here is a picture of a fight against Scarlet Briar.

I still have no idea what Scarlet Briar even does in the fight, and if she hadn’t popped up before I wouldn’t even know what she looks like.

The twisted nightmares have some amazing design that can be hard to see with all the spam going on as well, and apparently even has different phases in the fights, not that I’d notice.

And even if we could see all of this and know what they did, there would still never be any difficulty or reason for me to play well, I can just set my 1 to auto and read the forums til it’s dead.

Then there’s the problem of rewards, the game STILL rewards selfish gameplay way too much, oh someone’s on the ground and needs some help? Well if I do I might lose my tag on that champion sorry!

Oh I have some interesting support abilities that could boost other allies dmg or maybe give stability, nah I need more dmg to tag so I can get my loot. Oh is this event about to fail, maybe we should strategize a way to play better to win it… oh ignoring it and killing mobs is actually more rewarding? Well alright.

Attachments:

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

Yeah…

But I like zerging.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Yeah…

But I like zerging.

And the OP doesn’t soooo…. probably a good idea that Anet not simply stick to just zerg type events and content hmm? That way everyone is happy (who am I kidding? “everyone” will never be happy).

The Flaws Of Zergplay

projectcedric.6951

Yeah…

But I like zerging.

And the OP doesn’t soooo…. probably a good idea that Anet not simply stick to just zerg type events and content hmm? That way everyone is happy (who am I kidding? “everyone” will never be happy).

Yeah. Its good. Its guuud!

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I agreee This is a major design failure.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

Yeah…

But I like zerging.

I don’t hate zerging. It can be fun now and then but that’s all there is.

Would love to have more events that break up the zerg more so it’s maybe 20 people tops fighting stuff.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

ShadowPuppet.3746

Yeah…

But I like zerging.

I don’t hate zerging. It can be fun now and then but that’s all there is.

Would love to have more events that break up the zerg more so it’s maybe 20 people tops fighting stuff.

I am with you 100% OP, I thought at the start of the game that I liked the idea of large roving bands of people taking down huge enemies, right up until I fought one of the world boss events and I thought to myself “well that was less than epic”. I know there are some that do enjoy that style and more power to them, but I prefer to be able to feel the impact that my individual performance has more than what is currently possible in these zerg type of events. I don’t think they should really take them away, but they should give some other options especially for those of us who dislike temporary content.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

I can say with confidence that if you don’t enjoy zergplay GW2 is not for you. Everything from WvW, Champ farming, and living story events are all about zerging.

Hardly anyone is doing non zergplay activities now a day since all zerg farming give the most rewards.

Good luck finding a new MMO. I heard there is a couple that sound pretty promising. It is not too late to sign up for beta.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

Zerging is totally fine. The problem arises when the game is 95% zerg content and then the 5% that actually requires the player to use their brain grants almost NO REWARDS.

It all comes back to Risk vs. Reward. That 5% should be more rewarded then the 95%.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Yep, there’s no challenge to overcome… simply report for duty and collect loot. Like a list of chores, instead of something that inspires players to achieve greatness.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

ShadowPuppet.3746

I can say with confidence that if you don’t enjoy zergplay GW2 is not for you. Everything from WvW, Champ farming, and living story events are all about zerging.

Hardly anyone is doing non zergplay activities now a day since all zerg farming give the most rewards.

Good luck finding a new MMO. I heard there is a couple that sound pretty promising. It is not too late to sign up for beta.

Or, we could press the developers to actually keep true to their word of the manifesto and ask them to include content for all types of players. There is so much potential for this game, it’s a shame to see it wasted on unimaginative design and players.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

Zerging is totally fine. The problem arises when the game is 95% zerg content and then the 5% that actually requires the player to use their brain grants almost NO REWARDS.

It all comes back to Risk vs. Reward. That 5% should be more rewarded then the 95%.

This exactly, I don’t want to get rid of it.

Would love to see more well developed stuff like fractal, but maybe also for 20 people, and I don’t mean raids per say.

But smaller zerg sizes for future content where the good development can actually be put to use.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

projectcedric.6951

Btw, it’s called “social gameplay”.

=))

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

It is my HOPE that we’ll see more “small group” content now that they’ve supposedly locked down their seasonal rotation of events.

We’ll see.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

=))

That’s what’s ironic, it’s supposedly there to make you play with others, but it’s the least social thing out there lol.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Right and wrong. Gw2 is hardly about zerging. The problem is, zerging, for THE MASSES, is the most efficient for the method. For example. I was playing WvW yesterday, raiding the enemy borderlands. There was three of us, and 5 of them, and we ripped their group apart. Were we fighting unskilled opponents? Easy and sadly to say, quite possibly. Because zerging doesn’t promote skill. On the contrary, due to our skill, we managed to break the, up and quickly take them out. These poor buggers probably only knew the zerging way to play, not the skilled way. And this doesn’t factor that we were fighting at their supply camp, too, so we have guards and stuff on our backsides. Numerically disadvantaged.

The fact that this works is proof that zerging is not necessarily the most effective way. Even in WvWvW, a good defence can break the Zerg easy, because most of them think its all about blowing the gate down, not setting up reflection walls, defence golems, domes and other effects. Zerging works because its easy, but a skilled team vs a pure Zerg can easily crumble the massive force if their surgical tactics are up there enough.

And honestly, if you do things on your own. It’s easier to feel good about yourself because you know you saved that waypoint or smashed that mob with your own effort, not that of 500 mindless forces swarming around you like a bunch of locust.

Even in the Scarlet events, zerging is actually punished, the more people there are, the more mobs you face, however the problem is every wave has an immediate 3 second invulnerability. I made a big post on this in the CC forum which I can’t be bothered to search for, but basically, the more time you spend on a camp with overly inneficient numbers, the harder it becomes to get to Scarlet with the subtle time flow.

I ? Karkas.

(edited by Seven Star Stalker.1740)

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: MeanPi.6025

MeanPi.6025

OP, I’m ‘Vinegar Whine’ in that pic and it’s the final fight so of course it’s a zerg.

1 thing to say: Don’t leave a portal site once it’s closed like everyone else does. Stay and clear out the remainders with a couple other people around and you might have what you want. Maybe. Some, repeat some, of these portals when closed keep spawning, Champs even and with few people it’s..hate to say it..fun.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

OP, I’m ‘Vinegar Whine’ in that pic and it’s the final fight so of course it’s a zerg.

1 thing to say: Don’t leave a portal site once it’s closed like everyone else does. Stay and clear out the remainders with a couple other people around and you might have what you want. Maybe. Some, repeat some, of these portals when closed keep spawning, Champs even and with few people it’s..hate to say it..fun.

It’s a zerg fight no matter what.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

MeanPi.6025

Ok Knote, I re-read your original message and you’re asking for utopia and I’m afraid that done don’t exist. If you want to know why figure out what the term ‘mob rules’ means. Want fun, stay away from the zerg.

Course you’re not asking for fun, you’re asking for an imposability: oraganized chaos. Good luck with that.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

=))

Well you rarely team up for zerg stuff and certainly don’t talk to other players and often people are left behind unressed because there’s no time to ress you. If you want to call that social…

I think it does what it does in WvW. Attacking a castle and all. Yeh, that’s usually done with an army zo a zerg makes sense there to me. The big dragons….well, not very heroic but considering how things are it makes sense there at well….but for the rest it’s just silly and not very social in my view. But I do get with some people like it.

And to the OP I’d like to say, yep, you’re right…it doesn’t require skill and that’s about where this game wants to be I think.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

Ok Knote, I re-read your original message and you’re asking for utopia and I’m afraid that done don’t exist. If you want to know why figure out what the term ‘mob rules’ means. Want fun, stay away from the zerg.

Course you’re not asking for fun, you’re asking for an imposability: oraganized chaos. Good luck with that.

What?

There are ways they can design the events to force the zerg to split up more evenly.

Especially if there was a better way to indicate on the map how many people are at a certain event by hovering over it, this is something that’s fantastic about Rift’s massive events, the map information.

They could have multiple objectives that need to be protected and make the rewards for succeeding much larger while reducing the amount of champ spam so winning is where the money is, could also make it more profitable to AVOID the zerg instead of joining it.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

I wonder why ANet even bothers with a “story” or the designs. Remove all but one map, keep frequent spanws of champions and most of the playerbase will be happy.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

I wonder why ANet even bothers with a “story” or the designs. Remove all but one map, keep frequent spanws of champions and most of the playerbase will be happy.

I disagree with that. They just need to update the rewards in terms of risk vs rewards for the other parts of the game, and from what I’ve heard IS on it’s way thankfully.

As an example, if you had a little fenced barn area with different pens that are colored differently (to represent different parts of the game) and there’s a little bit of hay in each of them, but only 1 has a buffet of delicious sweets, where would all the little piggies end up? Sure some may hang out in the other pens because they enjoy the color once in a while, but the ones pigging out like other colored pens too.

Distribute the good food evenly throughout the pens? Now all the piggies get to eat and get to choose whichever colored pen to feel like eating in. =D

Not that pigs eat hay or anything…… but yeah.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

ShadowPuppet.3746

What?

There are ways they can design the events to force the zerg to split up more evenly.

Especially if there was a better way to indicate on the map how many people are at a certain event by hovering over it, this is something that’s fantastic about Rift’s massive events, the map information.

They could have multiple objectives that need to be protected and make the rewards for succeeding much larger while reducing the amount of champ spam so winning is where the money is, could also make it more profitable to AVOID the zerg instead of joining it.

I also enjoyed that Rift’s invasions were zone wide, granted they had no real impact on the zone itself but sadly neither do the invasions here nor many of the dynamic events beyond blocking a wp. I honestly have begun to think that the majority of the people on the forums defending the current design trend in this game are just doing so out of fear of losing out on their easy cash, I have no proof of this of course as it’s just my opinion. I just can’t see how even the players that like the zerging for their own personal reasons couldn’t want more from the design team in terms of compelling game play.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

MeanPi.6025

Knote you’re expanding on your original post but it’s what others before you have posted and it makes sense now.

Knote and Jaga, yes, these story things are hollow. Boring even. But it’s what’s there. I’m done with the achievements and I’m casual, according to map chat I’m a farmer. I understand now what you’re saying. Attack a portal solo and see what happens is basically what I’m saying.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

Knote you’re expanding on your original post but it’s what others before you have posted and it makes sense now.

Knote and Jaga, yes, these story things are hollow. Boring even. But it’s what’s there. I’m done with the achievements and I’m casual, according to map chat I’m a farmer. I understand now what you’re saying. Attack a portal solo and see what happens is basically what I’m saying.

Yes it definately is different going solo instead, the difficulty is actually there, granted that’s mainly because it’s minimum scaled value is for like 2-3 people, but yeah.

However you barely get rewarded for doing that, and it is just a waste of time. I’m not asking for it to be soloed though. It would just be nice if the most you’d ever see at (most) of the events was 20 or so people that actually had to work together, and it wasn’t just selfish behavior because that’s what the game rewards, it should reward success not mob tagging.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

MeanPi.6025

Knote, now you need to define what you term ‘reward’. Loot? Loot as in pre-Anets loot hammer madness (running Maw as lvl 20 and getting awesome lvl 80 loot and hammer upon hammer upon hammer till everything only gives whites and blues) or reward as in some unknown thing conjured up while Erich Zhann flailed playing his violen as a madman to keep out the evil wanting to suck out the world in H.P. Lovecrafts story? Or..something different?

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Opynn.2936

Opynn.2936

If more zerg contnet is the direction GW2 is going I’m looking/waiting for other game. I understad its a mmo so you play with a lot of people and they made GW1 where everything is instanced so they wanted to make GW2 more massive. My graphic card cry when I enter invasion. In the zerg I feel meaningless and everthing is too easy (I play this game for a year now- I want challange).Staying behing bloob of people and spaming ability, trying to spot mob in the sea of bodies and spell effects is not fun imo. And its “social gamig”? I dont care about every single person in the zerg im in. Srsly they are like npc to me. I ress they for dayli or for exp, I use shout not to boost them but just for my party member who happen to be my brother. If they would introduce more content for larger group like 8-10-20 ppl like guild missions I would care about those ppl. I care about my gulildies when we do guild missions because we need eatch other to complete it. I can close portal solo.

Opyrr[GoT] Warrior

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

Knote, now you need to define what you term ‘reward’. Loot? Loot as in pre-Anets loot hammer madness (running Maw as lvl 20 and getting awesome lvl 80 loot and hammer upon hammer upon hammer till everything only gives whites and blues) or reward as in some unknown thing conjured up while Erich Zhann flailed playing his violen as a madman to keep out the evil wanting to suck out the world in H.P. Lovecrafts story? Or..something different?

Just the basic wealth items.

Lots of greens, blues, rares, pure silver drops, mats, salvagable items, basically just money.

Of course there are UNIQUE rewards/fluff which are also important, but basic “farm” is what I’m talking about.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

MeanPi.6025

Okay Knote, I was afraid that’s what you were talking about. It used to be like that, not anymore.

Nothing left to say here except I’d rather be entwined in the madness of Erich Zhann then playing this game if I was a loot hound since ANet always nerf hammers anything that could be fun loot-wise into the non-existant ground. And they can get away with it. For now.

Okay I have to edit this: farming the events gains a lot of gold. Sell all the blues, do what one will with the greens and yellows. It seems ANet realizes they’ve been jerks about the loot-nerf-bat and maybe making up for it. I don’t know but this update is casual friendly.

(edited by MeanPi.6025)

The Flaws Of Zergplay

projectcedric.6951

=))

Well you rarely team up for zerg stuff and certainly don’t talk to other players and often people are left behind unressed because there’s no time to ress you. If you want to call that social…

I think it does what it does in WvW. Attacking a castle and all. Yeh, that’s usually done with an army zo a zerg makes sense there to me. The big dragons….well, not very heroic but considering how things are it makes sense there at well….but for the rest it’s just silly and not very social in my view. But I do get with some people like it.

Of course! The fact that you don’t necessarily have to talk with anybody in the zerg -because there isn’t anything to talk about- makes it even more comfortable to simply join zergs.

You can rest assured that there won’t be any conversation leading to anybody poking about your real life whatsoever, nor will there be any sharing of banal, mundane things like how the weather is like on your side of the world, or how men can never understand women, etc.

Furthermore, the fact that almost everyone’s build is the same, and there are no distinct individual roles make it unnecessary to bother other people about what they shall be doing as part of the zerg, so you can concentrate on spamming your 123457890 on that champ.

What’s not to like?

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Get a better computer and monitor. 1024×768? Really?

It is hard to see in zerg fights, but you are in no position to complain with that poor of hardware.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

It is hard to see in zerg fights, but you are in no position to complain with that poor of hardware.

Wow lol.

Yes having a higher resolution is totally going to fix everything I just talked about in my OP, totally.

Please read or grow brain cells before posting.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

projectcedric.6951

Mwahahahaha. Omg I love this post!! +100000!!!

King troll ftw!

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Unless they split overflows into 10 people max I can’t understand how you would prevent zerg type activity. I don’t understand why it is your mission to prevent zergs either. You can easily find portals that no one is on because they are in a group somewhere else. You are falling into the mentality that you must follow the zerg but it is not mandatory.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

There’s a big difference between WvW zerging and PvE zerging. In PvE, the best option is generally to mindlessly follow the events, and spam down everything in your path. It’s pretty brainless. Extremely rewarding, not terribly involved.

In WvW, assuming you’re actively involved (ie on your server or guild’s VOIP of choice) you need to be listening to orders and acting together. When your commander says “Stabilities up… double dodge, avoid the melee train, burn down the back line!” it’s in your and your team’s best interest to listen. Of course there are folks who mindlessly follow WvW zergs, but there’s not much you can do except try desperately to get them to join the teamspeak.

As for not zerging? There’s always sPvP. And uhhhhhhh… dungeons?

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Someone would think OP would be happy with this. But nah, he stick to zerg and complain about zerg. Even in invasion events theres only 1 fight that “has” to be zerged (Scarlet), in other 40+ minutes theres crapload of events that aint zerged. Does OP goes there? Nah, stick with teh zerg and complain about zerg.

Its pretty much user and not game issue.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

Unless they split overflows into 10 people max I can’t understand how you would prevent zerg type activity. I don’t understand why it is your mission to prevent zergs either. You can easily find portals that no one is on because they are in a group somewhere else. You are falling into the mentality that you must follow the zerg but it is not mandatory.

If you actually want rewards (which is really the only point to this event besides achievements) then yes you do need to follow the zerg, that’s where the money is.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Yargesh.4965

Which rewards? More boxes that have greens? A chance of a big score? You can get a big score killing any mob in game (precursors have a chance from absolutely any mob).

If you actually want rewards (which is really the only point to this event besides achievements) then yes you do need to follow the zerg, that’s where the money is.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

MikaHR.1978

You dont have to zerg. Thers plenty of events that spawn that aint zerged. I closed few portals on my own. Its your choice alone how to play.

But nah, complaining just for the sake of complaining seems to make some people happy.

Anyways, GW2 is the first MASSIVE multiplayer game in a long long time, and i hope they keep it that way instead of dungeon play. Yes, massive=zerg.

I enjoy invasions and www a lot. Hadnt have that kinda of game in 10 years. Good job ANet, you brought massive to MMOs again.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

You dont have to zerg. Thers plenty of events that spawn that aint zerged. I closed few portals on my own. Its your choice alone how to play.

But nah, complaining just for the sake of complaining seems to make some people happy.

And you get 10% of the loot the people in the zerg are getting.

If you enjoy doing a basic “kill some mobs” event and getting a very low reward, good for you, I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself, you can get the same thrill soloing basic events in Queensdale pretty much the same loot too.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

MikaHR.1978

No it isnt, i would play invasions even if NO champions spawned. Can you understand what enjoyment means?

The Flaws Of Zergplay

MikaHR.1978

If you enjoy doing a basic “kill some mobs” event and getting a very low reward, good for you, I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself, you can get the same thrill soloing basic events in Queensdale pretty much the same loot too.

And? Your point? Go back to dungeons then. This content isnt for you it seems. Not everything in the game has to be made to match your measure.

When did players became so selfish? me me me me me…and some more ME

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Simply allowing us to turn of nametags would help massively in situations like the posted screenshot.
They’re such an eyesore.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Yargesh.4965

Simply allowing us to turn of nametags would help massively in situations like the posted screenshot.
They’re such an eyesore.

Unless you are in absolutely lowest setting you can turn them off, I have and it is great.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

=))

There’s nothing social about that (unless you were being sarcastic.) I wouldn’t call GW2 “anti-social” as much as I’d say it’s “asocial” meaning no one participates socially.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

=))

Of course! The fact that you don’t necessarily have to talk with anybody in the zerg -because there isn’t anything to talk about- makes it even more comfortable to simply join zergs.

You can rest assured that there won’t be any conversation leading to anybody poking about your real life whatsoever, nor will there be any sharing of banal, mundane things like how the weather is like on your side of the world, or how men can never understand women, etc.

Furthermore, the fact that almost everyone’s build is the same, and there are no distinct individual roles make it unnecessary to bother other people about what they shall be doing as part of the zerg, so you can concentrate on spamming your 123457890 on that champ.

What’s not to like?

I sense a certain measure of sarcasm here….

One adjustment I would propose….you only have to spam 11111111, the rest doesn’t matter really. Oh wait no, you don’t have to spam at all….auto attack ftw!

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Zerging in itself is fine. But the OP points out correctly that animations, and even the bosses themselves, are completely invisible in the middle of a zerg. That’s a design flaw.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Are you kidding? have you not seen the birthday ‘present’ threads?

Anyways, GW2 is the first MASSIVE multiplayer game in a long long time, and i hope they keep it that way instead of dungeon play. Yes, massive=zerg.

I enjoy invasions and www a lot. Hadnt have that kinda of game in 10 years. Good job ANet, you brought massive to MMOs again.

I dont think anyone can argue that. These events do bring massive amounts of people together. That’s not the problem. The problem is these massive amounts of people don’t interact. They dont socialize, theres no reason for them to coordinate, no reason to help each other out, no strategy, no reason to learn anything at all.
If there ware different mechanics involved, it would likely be a different story, where the masses had to coordinate and use strategy, bring people together to work for a common goal.
Zerging has none of this. Zerging promotes anti-social behavior, where the goal is just make sure you press 1 quick enough to get auto-attacking on the mob to get credit before it dies.
I don’t think anyone argues it brings the massive back to MMO……but it does so in a way thats contradictory to the social and teamwork aspect of an MMORPG.

The Flaws Of Zergplay

Knote.2904

And? Your point? Go back to dungeons then. This content isnt for you it seems. Not everything in the game has to be made to match your measure.

I would love that, make dungeons as profitable as zerg farming.