The Game Has Content...That You Can't Do

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

I want to do Dungeons, but I hit the dungeon cap. I want to do Dynamic events, but I hit the dynamic event cap. I want to farm mobs, but I hit the loot cap. I want to do WvW, but the queues are too long.

If any one of them were available it’d be ok, but there’s nothing left…

Posted by: Galactus.2108

Galactus.2108

A cap ? I was unaware of this.

Posted by: Naughty.5064

Naughty.5064

Yep, same with mob killing/looting. Once you do so many it kicks in and the rewards, as shown in their screenshot, become almost laughable. Never have I attempted to play a game where you are punished for trying to play it your own way. We are basically being forced to play it the way someone else thinks we should be. We are limited on how many of a certain mob we can kill before we gain nothing, and we are limited on how many events we can do before we gain nothing.

Strill.2591

Yep, same with mob killing/looting. Once you do so many it kicks in and the rewards, as shown in their screenshot, become almost laughable. Never have I attempted to play a game where you are punished for trying to play it your own way. We are basically being forced to play it the way someone else thinks we should be. We are limited on how many of a certain mob we can kill before we gain nothing, and we are limited on how many events we can do before we gain nothing.

There’s two separate caps, one for loot and another for dynamic events. I can only assume they’re anti-botting systems but ironically they have no effect on bots because bots can’t farm fast enough to trigger either of them. Only an actual player exploring dynamic events and actively seeking out places to AoE mobs can manage to trigger these caps.

(edited by Strill.2591)

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

The DE cap only applies for repeating the same event over and over. Spread out and stop farming the same 2-3 DE’s in Orr.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Nisshoku.3479

Nisshoku.3479

So you only want to play the game if it gives you decent virtual items?

How laughably trivial and idiotic.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

But why should we normal players be punished for this? What is the reasoning for it? To stop the “bots”? Thats just a BS excuse imo!!

If people want to farm/grind or whatever then let them!!!! So stupid to put a cap on these things.

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

Your post is idiotic. Grinding the same thing over and over again is definitely not fun and that’s what they meant for us to do. As such, we wanted to make do with rewards. Guess what? No rewards either.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Strill.2591

The DE cap only applies for repeating the same event over and over. Spread out and stop farming the same 2-3 DE’s in Orr.

That’s entirely false. In fact, it’s the complete opposite. A week ago I did the same events over and over, specifically grubs and town defense in Cursed Shore. I never hit the DE cap. But after I went out into the world to find new Dynamic events, I found I was completing them far faster. It was only then that I got hit by the cap. Since then I’ve found so many events to do that I can reach the cap within just 25 minutes without repeating a single event.

The cap is based on how FAST you complete events, not which events, nor on which zone the events are in.

(edited by Strill.2591)

Nisshoku.3479

Your post is idiotic. Grinding the same thing over and over again is definitely not fun and that’s what they meant for us to do. As such, we wanted to make do with rewards. Guess what? No rewards either.

And yet again, you get worked up that imaginary actions don’t lead to significant imaginary gain. You’re philosophy on playing video games is incredibly skewed.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

I must not be doing them fast enough, because I’ve been golding a DE about once every 5 minutes, give or take, and I’m constantly getting about 290 Karma every time.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Strill.2591

I must not be doing them fast enough, because I’ve been golding a DE about once every 5 minutes, give or take, and I’m constantly getting about 290 Karma every time.

In the northwest corner of cursed shore you can easily get an event once per 3 minutes if you do the events there and head to any town defense events in the east as they trigger on your map. There’s tons of events there but they tend to end quickly so not many people realize how dense the area is, and just sit in town and farm one spot all day.

(edited by Strill.2591)

Posted by: Naughty.5064

Naughty.5064

There’s two separate caps, one for loot and another for dynamic events. I can only assume they’re anti-botting systems but ironically they have no effect on bots because bots can’t farm fast enough to trigger either of them. Only an actual player exploring dynamic events and actively seeking out places to AoE mobs can manage to trigger these caps.

Yep, I am aware they are 2 different ones…just pointing out it works the same. Was assuming previous poster knew about the anti-farm code, and trying to make a correlation. =)

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

Soon we will be playing a new version of guild wars 2 that forces you to pay to get things done in a timely manner. Like, you can pay to reset your DE limit for the day. Similar to the games like farmville. They’d probably call it “Farmville: you can’t farm unless you pay us”.

Gauradan.8361

And yet again, you get worked up that imaginary actions don’t lead to significant imaginary gain. You’re philosophy on playing video games is incredibly skewed.

I guess we’ve been playing different video games then. Because in the ones I played, rewards were a big part of the “fun” I was having.

Furthermore, if there are no rewards then there’s no fun to be had at level 80. Why? Because no matter how much you claim you’re doing it with friends/guild and you’re doing it right and so forth, after the 10th run of the same dungeon you’ll probably want to rip your hair off at the thought of going back there.

Gauradan.8361

Soon we will be playing a new version of guild wars 2 that forces you to pay to get things done in a timely manner. Like, you can pay to reset your DE limit for the day. Similar to the games like farmville. They’d probably call it “Farmville: you can’t farm unless you pay us”.

That, unfortunately, is the future of gaming.

Nisshoku.3479

Your analogy is week DaedalusDragon.

With Farmville you have limitations on playing the game that are only lifted if you pay them. With Guild Wars you still play the game but don’t get the virtual reward.

I ask of you, why do you ultimately play a video game? Do you play for in-game rewards and benefits? It seems awfully backward to play a game just so you can get a sword with big numbers that are meaningful only in the game and aesthetics that also only retain meaning within the game.

If you aren’t having any fun in the actions leading up to getting the ultimate 666 sword of satanic doom + 5 then why the hell are you playing at all?

DaedalusDragon.3754

You can play farmville without spending money and still play constantly. It probably means that you are just staring at your screen, but you do get to play. And honestly, if you want to play this game you NEED money (armor repair, waypoint, decent gear) and now the only way to make money is the gem store.

Posted by: prodigy.1023

prodigy.1023

That, unfortunately, is the future of gaming.

And that’s why GW2 is probably the last video game I’ll ever buy. After all my recent disappointments I had extremely low expectations but ANet couldn’t meet even those. The game is a buggy mess where diminishing returns are blocking every possible way to make gold and gold sellers are running rampant.

All in all it just screams “Cash shop or ….” (please insert a kitten of your preferable color here).

My mesmer’s story ended on 07-Oct-2012.

Posted by: Thor Rising.7850

Thor Rising.7850

Nope, even just killing Risen will trigger your loot cap, which can ruin the whole point of being in Orr. With full magic find gear I can farm Risen for maybe 20 minutes before the drops stop happening and 90% of my kills give no loot.

Posted by: Zora.8437

Zora.8437

good it stops farmers botters and losers from sitting there doing the same thing over and over where is the fun in that also….go get a life go to another zone do other stuff…quit complaining because you wanna bot….

Fan with a plan,
Zora

Gauradan.8361

I ask of you, why do you ultimately play a video game? Do you play for in-game rewards and benefits? It seems awfully backward to play a game just so you can get a sword with big numbers that are meaningful only in the game and aesthetics that also only retain meaning within the game.

Because that’s what matters to some people like myself. I care about how my character looks not because of prestige or because I want to show how awesome I am, but because it matters to myself and myself alone. Is that really so hard to comprehend? They’ve made level 80 a grind, which they promised it wouldn’t be (and it wasn’t during the Betas – dungeon gear, order armor and cultural armor costed far less), then, after so doing, they won’t even allow you to do that grind.

So I ask you, what is the point of all this? Because as it is right now, there’s no logic to anything at level 80. Don’t tell me it’s having fun, because doing the same DEs or dungeons over and over again or waiting for the limit to reset sure as hell isn’t (not to me at least).

DaedalusDragon.3754

good it stops farmers botters and losers from sitting there doing the same thing over and over where is the fun in that also….go get a life go to another zone do other stuff…quit complaining because you wanna bot….

You aren’t level 80, are you? Cursed shore is kinda the place you go and once you cap that then you are done until it is released. It is even more true with the cap on events AND mobs and of course you can’t forget the new super cap on dungeon rewards.

It looks a lot like they figured out that GW2 didn’t actually have an end-game like they had said it did up until release so they had to make a lot of random grinds to keep people in the game longer until they figured stuff out. All MMOs have grinds in the end and this is no exception. Too bad.

Gauradan.8361

@Zora Try harder, troll. You’re not even funny.

Strill.2591

It doesn’t stop them at all. They don’t kill fast enough to trigger the loot cap and they don’t do dynamic events fast enough to trigger the DE cap. The only ones who could possibly be affected by these caps are legitimate players.

Gauradan.8361

And that is why gold sellers still exist after 3 weeks. Because they’re making money. No gold seller would have wasted time in a game where nobody bought the gold.

DaedalusDragon.3754

If you look at their prices before you block/report them, they have MUCH better prices for gold than the gem store conversion rate is. Now I am not endorsing gold sellers by any means as they are against every code this game has but it is, more often than not, a scam to get your password.

Gauradan.8361

If you look at their prices before you block/report them, they have MUCH better prices for gold than the gem store conversion rate is. Now I am not endorsing gold sellers by any means as they are against every code this game has but it is, more often than not, a scam to get your password.

Be that is it may, even the fact that they are getting enough passwords to stay in business suggests people are willing to buy gold. I would never buy gold myself, but I can’t blame others for wanting to when it’s so hard to acquire in-game.

Posted by: Tanef.7284

Tanef.7284

world event cap? wtf… I was unaware of that.
this is ridiculous.. If i want to farm world events and dungeons, what’s wrong with that?

and all of you who say that dungeon grinders and loot grinders are sad- hey- THIS IS WHAT WE LIKE TO DO! we are not telling you how to lvl your char and how to play the game, so please, DONT TELL ME HOW TO PLAY WITH MY CHAR! its all fun and nice that I have alot of lore and exploring and bla bla bla, but if I don’t want that, and I wanna lvl the way im used to from other games – Why can’t I have that? why do you have to limit me?!

Gauradan.8361

Seems like we’re getting a new patch. For their sake, I hope it fixes all the stupid things they’ve added in the previous one.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

But why should we normal players be punished for this? What is the reasoning for it? To stop the “bots”? Thats just a BS excuse imo!!

If people want to farm/grind or whatever then let them!!!! So stupid to put a cap on these things.

I agree. this is just a dumb change by Anet.
if enough people protest this change, than maybe Anet will revert it.

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

Where in gods name he said somethign about items? Your post is here for no reason and it’s dumb. You came here to show how smart and funny you are and you just failed horribly.

Seems like we’re getting a new patch. For their sake, I hope it fixes all the stupid things they’ve added in the previous one.

In history of games I can think of only very few cases of rollback in patch. It’s not gonna happen.

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Caps of this nature are the type of thing that sounds good on paper, but fails in practice. You could cut the rewards by 90% and they only things left doing it would be bots, since they don’t care how long it takes.

Gauradan.8361

@Deith Yes, that is true. Given how few people are complaining it’s doubtful it will change. Also, I doubt they’d worry too much if the people who are complaining leave, since the game seems to have already attracted quite a huge crowd of morons. I don’t think those people will be bothered by anything, just like they weren’t bothered in WoW. I guess it’s no longer about the loyal fans, who have been following the game for a long time, but about the people who can pay the most money, which is the aforementioned morons.

Posted by: Thor Rising.7850

Thor Rising.7850

Right now I’m being forced to make an alternate and level that up just because I am wasting my time spending more than 20 minutes killing Risen as the anti-farming drop rate prevents me from getting any drops. So yes, I really enjoy playing this game, but I do want to get loot for killing stuff, as getting xp at level 80 doesn’t help me much.

Going back and doing dynamic events and hearts in lower level zones is kind of a waste as well. The drops I get will sometimes be up to level 78, but never above that. The materials they drop are also the same level as the mobs. So essentially there are two areas that I can farm to make any real money, one is all Risen mobs, and the other has about 3 or 4 different mob types that I can kill. The one world event in this area takes usually 1 to 2 hours to complete on my server (Claw of Jormag) and nets me a few silver and some blue items from the chest.

While I do agree with stopping those speed farms that are almost exploits, I really hate how playing my main for more than about an hour a day becomes a complete waste of time as I will barely be getting any karma or gold. And while some of you say that going for items in a game is sad, I happen to enjoy having reachable goals. I don’t grind for them, but limiting how much money I can make in a day this harshly really sucks. I only have a few hours to play and I hit the farm cap in every zone within 20 minutes per zone.

Posted by: Khat.9327

Khat.9327

This is rather disturbing… I don’t wanna have my game limiting me with what i can and cannot do o.O.

Posted by: Otleaz.5639

Otleaz.5639

I wouldn’t be surprised if the OP was one of the tools who goes to sleep at an event location with his “1” key held down.

Gauradan.8361

I wouldn’t be surprised if the OP was one of the tools who goes to sleep at an event location with his “1” key held down.

There are no logical arguments against the points we’re making in this thread, so you start making baseless assumptions. Does it matter what the OP does? In a game which marketed itself as offering you choices, you’d expect that if you wanted to grind you could grind. Grinding should actually even be closer in reach given how much of it is required to get a dungeon, cultural or karma armor. First they said there would be no grind. Now that there is and people were willing to do it, they made it unrewarding. What choices have we left? Buying gems and trading them for gold? If that’s the case, then they and their game can go to hell.

I understand NcSoft only has one decent game and this is it, but the way they’re milking it is so shameless and noticeable that I’m surprised there aren’t more people making a stand against it.

Deith.7596

@Deith Yes, that is true. Given how few people are complaining it’s doubtful it will change. Also, I doubt they’d worry too much if the people who are complaining leave, since the game seems to have already attracted quite a huge crowd of morons. I don’t think those people will be bothered by anything, just like they weren’t bothered in WoW. I guess it’s no longer about the loyal fans, who have been following the game for a long time, but about the people who can pay the most money, which is the aforementioned morons.

Welcome to game industry

Posted by: Hieronumous.3541

Hieronumous.3541

Welcome to game industry

Nice. Insults against fellow players. Stay classy, you two.

Posted by: Blaqwolf.1264

Blaqwolf.1264

I understand NcSoft only has one decent game and this is it, but the way they’re milking it is so shameless and noticeable that I’m surprised there aren’t more people making a stand against it.

They are, but no one is listening.

Gauradan.8361

They are, but no one is listening.

Not nearly enough. If there were, they’d be forced to listen. As I said in a previous post, there’s quite a large portion of the community who are simply put, morons. Those people aren’t bothered by anything, just like they weren’t in WoW. To them, Guild Wars 2 is the next cool thing and they’ll just play it no matter how hard ArenaNet screws them over. The community in this game is a long way from what the community in Guild Wars 1 was and that’s because, as I said, it’s been polluted with morons.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Maybe the game is trying to tell you that it’s not healthy to play computer games 16 hours a day?

One – Piken Square

Deith.7596

Welcome to game industry

Insults? Stay classy? I don’t…I don’t catch your drift…your problem is?

Hieronumous.3541

Welcome to game industry

Insults? Stay classy? I don’t…I don’t catch your drift…your problem is?

Problem? None, really. I think it’s great that Gauradan can call everyone who disagrees with his view ‘morons’ and be hailed, where if someone who enjoyed the game were to do the exact same thing, it’d be seen as fanboyism. That’s the kind of world I’ve always wanted to live in.

Posted by: Levelord.5746

Levelord.5746

People keep saying this, but even playing an alt (where there is no incentive or need to farm events) because there are so many areas to do events in (as opposed to only 2 lvl 80 areas), this DE cap makes no sense for people running around doing different events levelling up normally.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ic331u.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/wl5h.jpg

Why can’t the DE caps just apply to lvl 80’s only because that’s the level where people usually farm for the most karma. Putting the cap on people levelling normally is plain ridiculous.

Gauradan.8361

@Hieronumous Whenever did I call anyone who disagreed with me a moron? I just pointed out that a part of the community is represented by that kind of people and that this fact is quite noticeable. You disagree with me most likely. Did I call you a moron? There was not even the slightest hint in any of my posts claiming that you were somehow stupid and I’m sorry if you felt that any of my posts implied that.

As I said, like in WoW, there are a lot of people who just play the game no matter what the company does. If that’s not a sign of being a moron I don’t know what is.

(edited by Gauradan.8361)

Hieronumous.3541

You’re calling an entire playerbase that you disagree with (kids who play WoW despite Blizzard, and for some odd reason you kind of folded ANet into that) morons. How is that NOT calling people who disagree with you morons. It’s not objectively true: I actually agree with the sentiment, that the game they play is horrible (WoW, post-BC), but I’m not going around calling them morons.
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt; maybe you just don’t know what moron means. It’s an insult; a derogatory name people use when they’re trying to call someone stupid.
I don’t care that you didn’t say it to me; I care that this crap is being said in general, on both sides. Just because you disagree with someone’s gaming philosophy doesn’t mean they’re dumber than you, and the fact that you like something else doesn’t make you smarter.

Gauradan.8361

You’re calling an entire playerbase that you disagree with (kids who play WoW despite Blizzard, and for some odd reason you kind of folded ANet into that) morons. How is that NOT calling people who disagree with you morons. It’s not objectively true: I actually agree with the sentiment, that the game they play is horrible (WoW, post-BC), but I’m not going around calling them morons.
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt; maybe you just don’t know what moron means. It’s an insult; a derogatory name people use when they’re trying to call someone stupid.
I don’t care that you didn’t say it to me; I care that this crap is being said in general, on both sides. Just because you disagree with someone’s gaming philosophy doesn’t mean they’re dumber than you, and the fact that you like something else doesn’t make you smarter.

No need to give me the benefit of the doubt, since I know all too well what moron means. I’m not using the word lightly either. I have seen the way they behave and talk in map chat. My brother brought up the same concerns in his guild chat last day. Do you know what happened? He was told by a guy he had helped in a dungeon (as in doing story mode with him because he hadn’t completed it so that they could do explorable) that they didn’t care and that he should stop complaining. That, to me, is a moron. If you cannot have an ounce of respect for someone who took their time to help you, you’re a moron. That’s just one example.

Besides, there’s nothing to agree or disagree with. Some of the systems in the game are clearly broken. The only subjective thing is whether you acknowledge that or not and whether you keep playing or not. No, this is not imposing my opinion upon others, it’s simply the truth. Would you have bought a car that could only go for 10 kilometers per hour then, after you had done those 10 km you would have to wait until the hour passed and it reset? Would you have bought a car that had a constantly decreasing maximum speed and then finally stopped with you having not to use it for some time so that the speed limit would reset? How come things that are unacceptable in other products are acceptable in MMOs?

Deith.7596

What’s with the quoting here! Anyway.

Hieronumous: You see, I’m in the group of people here that sees flaws in this perfect game so it’s really hard to think I’m a fanboy. The difference is, I got enough experience so I know that developers ignore the feedback in 9 out of 10 cases, that’s why I said Welcome to game industry. It’s not about the players anymore, at least it’s not for couple of years now. It’s about vision they have and being profitable, that’s all, there is no magic here it’s as simple as that. And whoever thinks that in making games nowadays is about the players, let me ask you this: Why there are less and less new games every year and more and more squels of existing ones. Because players want to see more of the game? Or maybe because it’s easier and cheaper to make a sequel because you don’t have to invent things, you just change them.