The Great MMO Migration?

The Great MMO Migration?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Yes, proper marketing. Making your game into a walking joke is not proper marketing unless you are a fp2 browser game created for kids.

There’s a Scarlet joke just waiting to happen after that comment, but I’m too annoyed to dig for it.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

[q]gotta get people to play the game somehow, right?[/q]

One does that by creating/maintaining a quality product. No amount of hype will change the product being hyped, it’s still as good/bad as it was when created.

I wouldn’t be too sure of that….

Just take a look at the supermarket. Kellog’s cornflakes is more expensive than Tescos cornflakes, it still sells. Are they different? Nope. If you put Tescos’ in a Kellog’s box, no one would notice.

Marketing can do wonders for your product.

Yes, proper marketing. Making your game into a walking joke is not proper marketing unless you are a fp2 browser game created for kids.

Not sayin what they did was good but, I don’t even know what is proper marketing these days.

A bit offtopic, ‘proper’ marketing in general seems to be putting a woman as naked as politically possible as a central part of your advert, then slapping as many gimmicks and slogans as you can in there for the sake of making people remember your advert.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

I found this entertaining. Kind of like cosplaying at work and relating work to what you’re cosplaying as.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

[q]gotta get people to play the game somehow, right?[/q]

One does that by creating/maintaining a quality product. No amount of hype will change the product being hyped, it’s still as good/bad as it was when created.

I wouldn’t be too sure of that….

Just take a look at the supermarket. Kellog’s cornflakes is more expensive than Tescos cornflakes, it still sells. Are they different? Nope. If you put Tescos’ in a Kellog’s box, no one would notice.

Marketing can do wonders for your product.

Not sayin what they did was good but, I don’t even know what is proper marketing these days.

A bit offtopic, ‘proper’ marketing in general seems to be putting a woman as naked as politically possible as a central part of your advert, then slapping as many gimmicks and slogans as you can in there for the sake of making people remember your advert.

Proper marketing is getting your target market to buy your product/service by appealing to them the best you can. A game like GW2 lives and dies by it’s item mall and adults with disposable income are the ones who drive it.

They have two targets with a thing like this people who play MMO’s but not GW2 and people who don’t play them at all. The mmo players aren’t interested in lame PR stunts. They are mmo players and know what’s out there already. They only care about whether GW2 is a better game than the one they are playing currently.

The other market is harder because you have to convince them to try something new. Making it seem corny isn’t exactly the best approach to get someone to try something new especially when the general public still has a negative image of people who play MMO’s as is. Want your game to appeal to non-gamers? Don’t make it look like something for dorky gamer nerds. It’s why game adverts always show attractive 20 somthings playing their FPS’s ect instead of the more likely profanity shouting 12 year old or Cheeto dust covered, underwear-clad gamer.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

I started a thread about this, so I’ll copy and paste my OP. (You know what they say, smart minds think alike)

These “upload a video of GW2 to youtube and win free XYZ” contests feel cheap, and I don’t take it as a healthy sign for the game. This is the 2nd one we have had in two months.

My brother (who doesn’t play GW2) was involved with a lot of these kind of things in highschool (he even won a free copy of the The Lord of The Rings: Extended Editions movie trilogy, haha), but these were always for B-quality games that were trying to make money by exploiting a popular license. It just seems below Guild Wars 2 and I don’t take it as a healthy sign for the game.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Wow, so awkward…

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Didn’t like the ad much at all. I never feel that awkward and uncomfortable is entertaining or amusing to watch.

But it’s getting more likes than dislikes on Youtube. I hope the votes stay that way.

I am interested in seeing the pledge videos. Those could be fun.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

This + the new patch and its controversies are making me think more about moving to another game. -_- I’ll much gladly pay for sub fees at this point.

If a cultural armor skin is getting this much dislike, i wonder how people would react once the ugly ascended armors (and how ridiculous it would require to acquire a set [probably]) come out.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Petez.2975

Petez.2975

That’s a nice video with pleasant, charming folk. I like it. Quite amusing and clever to co-relate game terms with real-life. (The actress is yummy)

Yes, BuyToPlay, no subscriptions for me. I’m not strong-armed to buy any Gems, the choice is all mine.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Kimhyuna.1035

Kimhyuna.1035

Holy mother of cringe.
I don’t think I have cringed that much in a while.
You have one job to do ANET, an expansion. What a waste of monies.

Minion

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

This is.. so horribad that I am removing all references to GW2 from my FB page.

The thing was painful to watch and impossible to finish.

I’m embarrassed for them, they don’t seem to have the sense to be so on their own.

I have no clue what demographic they want, only that it is not me.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

I’m gonna be honest this wouldn’t convince me to buy the game if I was on the edge but it was fun/funny, some people think that your MMO of choice is srs business and no fun allowed? Bit strange that they then go on to complain about things they don’t find fun but yeah OK.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

The Great MMO Migration?

Finnway.2183

Lol The next great MMO migration is going to be everyone leaving GW2 for the next new MMO that hits the market.

• Elder Scrolls Online — Spring 2014
  • Wildstar — Spring 2014
  • Diablo 3 Expansion — Spring 2014
  • WoW Expansion — Winter 2014
  • EverQuest Next — release date unannounced

At this point they really need an expansion because the living story has not been good enough to draw people to the game based on word of mouth.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Spawne.3128

Spawne.3128

So in other words, good by GW2 come Q1 2014. Oh well, had a good run and some potential.

The Great MMO Migration?

Leo Paul.1659

I can’t wait for EverQuest Next.. Looks really promising.

The Great MMO Migration?

Finnway.2183

So in other words, good by GW2 come Q1 2014. Oh well, had a good run and some potential.

I dunno. I played Lord of The Rings Online and that microtransactioned the hell out of you because it started with a subscription based model. As long as GW2 doesn’t microtransaction the hell out of you, people will always be able to come back because it has no sub fee.

The Great MMO Migration?

Spawne.3128

The funny thing about everquest next is they took alot of the concepts that GW2 was SUPPOSED to have and made them work so much better, such as living world in GW2, is made to work on a much larger scale as permanent environmental changes in everquest. I mean christ, there isnt even realistic weather changes or a day/night cycle with the actual clock in GW2.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: HappyPrimes.3904

HappyPrimes.3904

I saw the video and immediately unsubbed from their youtube channel, it was like a BP oil spill in my subscription feed. And yeah, the way the last few months have gone this game will be dead in the water by its second anniversary assuming their marketing team doesn’t kill it before then. Which is a shame, because GW1 was a great game but they threw away such a good world/lore foundation to build a game out of.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Guess you haven’t played any of the other betas. The grass isn’t always greener. You think this forum is dark, you should see the stuff being said about ESO.

The Great MMO Migration?

Finnway.2183

At this point they really need an expansion because the living story has not been good enough to draw people to the game based on word of mouth.

Goodbye GW2 come spring 2014.
They really should have released an expansion and fired the monetization manager, the boring LS and the lazy/greedy person who slapped flames on a T3 skin to sell for $10 says it all.

Game had promise but NCsoft got too involved and Anet just rolled over.

I think the Living Story had potential. I think the biggest problem is that it didn’t live up to expectations, and hence it didn’t sell the game by word-of-mouth.

(edited by Finnway.2183)

The Great MMO Migration?

Substance E.4852

Lol The next great MMO migration is going to be everyone leaving GW2 for the next new MMO that hits the market.

• Wildstar — Spring 2014

At this point I’m trying to find reasons to not just go back to EvE. Missile boats are probably still near useless in pvp but at least CCP respects their player base. That used to be something I thought I could say with certainty about anet…

The Great MMO Migration?

Spawne.3128

• Wildstar — Spring 2014

At this point I’m trying to find reasons to not just go back to EvE. Missile boats are probably still near useless in pvp but at least CCP respects their player base. That used to be something I thought I could say with certainty about anet…

Ugh god, is it bad that I was thinking exactly the same thing? I swore id never go back to eve strictly because im a pve player not a pvper, and CCP caters to PVP play. I lost a 1.5 billion dollar ship last year in a .9 system to griefers and swore id never play again.

The Great MMO Migration?

Leo Paul.1659

The funny thing about everquest next is they took alot of the concepts that GW2 was SUPPOSED to have and made them work so much better, such as living world in GW2, is made to work on a much larger scale as permanent environmental changes in everquest. I mean christ, there isnt even realistic weather changes or a day/night cycle with the actual clock in GW2.

Yea. It makes me think if it’s too late for the GW2 to improve.

The Great MMO Migration?

Substance E.4852

• Wildstar — Spring 2014

Ugh god, is it bad that I was thinking exactly the same thing? I swore id never go back to eve strictly because im a pve player not a pvper, and CCP caters to PVP play. I lost a 1.5 billion dollar ship last year in a .9 system to griefers and swore id never play again.

I left after their whole “ya so we suddenly decided the Drake is super OP if you blob with 30+ of them so we’re gonna redo everything that makes it good. Hope that’s cool guys…”

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Guess you haven’t played any of the other betas. The grass isn’t always greener. You think this forum is dark, you should see the stuff being said about ESO.

I find it rather interesting that you say that. I’ve been in several of their betas, including the most recent one and it appears to me that the vast majority are saying good things about it. That is including in game and forums. It definitely isn’t my cup of tea, but can see why people like it.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Oh my god people are so whiny! Yes, Balthazar forbid they should do something fun and funny to attract attention! Or worse, actually enjoy themselves and maybe tell players it’s okay to lighten up a little! The sky is definitely falling.

I thought it was cute and I hope it draws some positive attention to the game. For the people what can’t handle being seen playing a game that treats itself like a game … well, glad to see you go.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

The Great MMO Migration?

Finnway.2183

I thought it was cute and I hope it draws some positive attention to the game. For the people what can’t handle being seen playing a game that treats itself like a game … well, glad to see you go.

It’s not that… it’s that they’re hosting contests to get players to advertise for their game. Ideally, you’d advertise for your game by creating great content that players want to tell their friends about.

The Great MMO Migration?

Leo Paul.1659

But it wasn’t fun and funny for me. :/ It was tacky. I hope it draws negative attention to the game so Anet will finally listen to whatever players they will have left want come the new games.

The Great MMO Migration?

Vayne.8563

I find it rather interesting that you say that. I’ve been in several of their betas, including the most recent one and it appears to me that the vast majority are saying good things about it. That is including in game and forums. It definitely isn’t my cup of tea, but can see why people like it.

I’d look at the reddit thread. It’s literally being torn apart. And I’m not the only one saying this. But believe what you like.

Just remember, people said the same stuff about GW 2 before release and a year later look what they’re saying. People said the same thing about SWToR and look what they’re saying.

We’ll see what we’ll see, but most of the games when they finally come out will have to compete with a two year old MMO and most of them will be buggy, not have enough content and will be desperate for market share, which will make for some interesting errors along the way as well.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

I think they got this backwards it’s actually given today’s patch an exodus FROM GW2. To games that are better designed and actually play tested before release. Hint you probably want a way point in your fractal that says choose a waypoint on death /caugh

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I’d look at the reddit thread. It’s literally being torn apart. And I’m not the only one saying this. But believe what you like. .

The ESO reddit page appears to be greatly positive. I don’t even see a single negative post on the entire first page. People are talking about withdrawals and fiending for more. Completely off topic, I just wanted to point out that I don’t agree with the " You think this forum is dark, you should see the stuff being said about ESO."

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The oath is a little scary if you ask me. But, I’m one who would prefer that GW2 was sub-based.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I’d look at the reddit thread. It’s literally being torn apart. And I’m not the only one saying this. But believe what you like. .

The ESO reddit page appears to be greatly positive. I don’t even see a single negative post on the entire first page. People are talking about withdrawals and fiending for more. Completely off topic, I just wanted to point out that I don’t agree with the " You think this forum is dark, you should see the stuff being said about ESO."

If you want to see a really healthy forum, check Wildstar, i havent see a single bad comment for that game, and im pretty sure there are some out there but the fact that i havent see any it means that they are not many!

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

The Great MMO Migration?

Substance E.4852

If you want to see a really healthy forum, check Wildstar, i havent see a single bad comment for that game, and im pretty sure there are some out there but the fact that i havent see any it means that they are not many!

Have they even done a beta yet? I checked out the site and they still have 2 classes to unveil.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

That is about as unhealthy as can be. There is not much worse for growth than a lack of negative commentary. Surround yourself with yes-men and suffer the consequences.

The Great MMO Migration?

Vayne.8563

That is about as unhealthy as can be. There is not much worse for growth than a lack of negative commentary. Surround yourself with yes-men and suffer the consequences.

Actually it’s very common for game forums to be overwhelmingly positive before people play games. It’s only after the initial shine wears off that people really go to war. That’s why games get hyped before launch and fail so dismally after.

So as I said, we’ll see. But I don’t believe most of those games will have the followings people think they’ll have.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

This thread is not about other games.
This thread is not about the financial stability of the company.

This thread is about the current promotion that the company is doing.

I personally feel the taxi thing was not funny, others think it is, good to know.
I personally have the most trouble with the swearing of allegiance thing. That is where my confusion sets in. Who thought this was a good idea. Who do they want to come into the game? To me it opens huge cans of worms that really have no place in what is a fun and enjoyable game.

The Great MMO Migration?

Vayne.8563

I don’t know. I think it’s pretty silly. It’s so silly it’s impossible to take seriously. I don’t think it means you should literally swear allegiance to Anet or Guild Wars 2. And when you’re doing satire, those sorts of things happen.

This feels a lot like satire to me. It’s not really meant to be taken seriously.

I also think pledging allegience to a country that you’re born to, just because you happen to be born to it, is a bit of a stretch. What if I’d been born in a third word country with no freedoms. They’d expect allegience too.

I don’t know. I don’t see what the big bruhaha is about. I found it mildly entertaining.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Raim.6123

Raim.6123

This makes no sense to me. Assuming you already have a copy of Guild Wars 2, this means that the only people doing this are people who have yet to play Guild Wars 2. Now why would I pledge to put aside other games when I know so little about this particular one? Not to mention for all we know, they might only give out one copy and just use the rest of the videos for free publicity.

The Great MMO Migration?

Yargesh.4965

I don’t know. I think it’s pretty silly. It’s so silly it’s impossible to take seriously. I don’t think it means you should literally swear allegiance to Anet or Guild Wars 2. And when you’re doing satire, those sorts of things happen.

This feels a lot like satire to me. It’s not really meant to be taken seriously.

I also think pledging allegience to a country that you’re born to, just because you happen to be born to it, is a bit of a stretch. What if I’d been born in a third word country with no freedoms. They’d expect allegience too.

I don’t know. I don’t see what the big bruhaha is about. I found it mildly entertaining.

I personally think that swearing allegiance to anything is silly. That said you only need to read the newspapers anywhere in the world to see that there are people who take it deadly seriously. That is what I am talking about.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i enjoyed watching the video.

fun to watch, as a guild wars 2 gamer myself.

however, not everyone who boards that taxi plays computer games though.

The Great MMO Migration?

Vayne.8563

I personally think that swearing allegiance to anything is silly. That said you only need to read the newspapers anywhere in the world to see that there are people who take it deadly seriously. That is what I am talking about.

People take religion seriously and it’s often satirized. The only person who might be offended…at least I thought…is a totally patriotic American. I don’t think something this silly should be cause for concern. If someone gets offended by this, they’re unlikely (in my mind) to be a gamer in the first place.

There are so many serious breeches of protocol and ettiquette…this one just seems like a goof to me.

Are you worried about those who might take that stuff seriously or are you worried people will seriously think they have to swear allegience to the game?

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

It’s called having fun.

I would put it this way. If they use our money to do crap like these instead of inputting it into the game, then Anet drop the ball, HARD. You could argue this might come from an advertising branch, but that seem a bit off considering that they advertise on people that never seen to play a MMO and I would bet the passenger are turn off by the weirdness of the driver.

The Great MMO Migration?

Yargesh.4965

People take religion seriously and it’s often satirized. The only person who might be offended…at least I thought…is a totally patriotic American. I don’t think something this silly should be cause for concern. If someone gets offended by this, they’re unlikely (in my mind) to be a gamer in the first place.

There are so many serious breeches of protocol and ettiquette…this one just seems like a goof to me.

Are you worried about those who might take that stuff seriously or are you worried people will seriously think they have to swear allegience to the game?

I just have this nagging feeling that people will be people (ie read these or any other forum). Will things get violent, no. Will this possibly backfire, in my opinion yes.

The Great MMO Migration?

Vayne.8563

I just have this nagging feeling that people will be people (ie read these or any other forum). Will things get violent, no. Will this possibly backfire, in my opinion yes.

Ah, I see. I’m not sure I see that happening, but I get where you’re coming from now.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

This video was very, very funny…

Good way to promote the game in the run up to xmas…

Best bit was, ‘you won’t notice the grind in Tyria’…lol

Obviously GW2 and this forum has players with no sense of humour at all…

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

This video was very, very funny…

Good way to promote the game in the run up to xmas…

Best bit was, ‘you won’t notice the grind in Tyria’…lol

Obviously GW2 and this forum has players with no sense of humour at all…

Right? I thought it was hilarious, especially because they got Meg Ballsy Turney to be a cab driver and she stayed in character THE ENTIRE time.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I just never realized taxi riders were the next great untapped source of MMO players.

Generally, I imagine if you have 30-50 bucks to blow on a single ride across town, you have more pressing things to do with your leisure time that fret over whether it costs a whole $15 per month. Like go skiing at your winter house, maybe.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I didn’t like it nor hate it. It made me laugh actually. It was cute, lighthearted, and funny and showed the game for what it is, “Make your own fun!” If you can’t do that, you do not belong here.

The red haired girl is Felicia Day, the voice actress for Zojja.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

The Great MMO Migration?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I didn’t like it nor hate it. It made me laugh actually. It was cute, lighthearted, and funny and showed the game for what it is, “Make your own fun!” If you can’t do that, you do not belong here.

The red haired girl is Felicia Day, the voice actress for Zojja.

aye i was wondering if it is her (felicia day) or not.
someone mentioned it was some other people though.

it makes sense to get felicia day since she already worked on zojia’s voice acting in guild wars 2 before.