The Guild wars i remember

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shizlam.4310

Shizlam.4310

For God’s sake people let me remind you of a thing.
This is a decent light armor, not the ascended things we have now. I mean it looks like they are a joke seriously.

Attachments:

Shizlam.4310

Here’s the backside

Attachments:

Shizlam.4310

And this is the drunkness i also remember.

Attachments:

Shizlam.4310

It’s called Guild Wars 2 for a reason

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

>Guild Wars 2 different than Guild Wars 1
>People complain
>Call of Duties or Battlefields all the same
>People complain

Dev’s can’t win.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

Guild Wars 2 Marketing: “Guild Wars 2 has everything you love about GW1 and more!”

looks for 1000s of skills Nope.
looks for nice armor skins Nope.
looks for heroes Nope.
looks for titles Meh.
looks for awesome armors Meh.
expects to be max level and max gear in a day Nope.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Someone needs to remove their rose-tinted glasses it seems, because the description you gave of GW1 in your latest post is quite different from what I remembered.

There are quite a few nice armors in GW2, but stuff being nice is very subjective.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

The Guild Wars I remember didn’t pigeon-hole you into a certain build just to play certain aspects of the game. GW allowed us to come up with fun/diverse builds. We don’t have that in GW2 with each weapon being stuck with 5 set skills.

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

Gw1 = Nice variety of armour for all professions, male and female. Costumes (REUSABLE) = real money and are combat usable.
Gw2 = kitten armour sets all the same for each race, any they have added in the last YEAR will cost you gems. Costumes = Gems and are non combat.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Someone needs to remove their rose-tinted glasses it seems, because the description you gave of GW1 in your latest post is quite different from what I remembered.

There are quite a few nice armors in GW2, but stuff being nice is very subjective.

You don’t remember good armour, being able to max a character in a day, hundreds upon hundreds of skills and heroes?

You sure you’re not confusing GW1 with your WoW character again?

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Guys this is bold new direction for games.
It is like GW1 but infused with korea at every level.
Such bold. Much Game. Wow

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

>People complain
>People complain

Dev’s can’t win.

Actually they could… But it’s easier to just don’t make the game better and keep milking grinders…

lordkrall.7241

You don’t remember good armour, being able to max a character in a day, hundreds upon hundreds of skills and heroes?

There were some nice looking armor, but there are in GW2 as well, and that is after all up to personal opinion, so not really a valid complain anyway.

You could max a character in a day if you knew how, and it was more or less impossible to do it in Prophecies unless you spend a most of that one day playing in order to level up.
But then again, that can also be done in GW2.

He said 1000s (as in more than 2000 skills), that is a blatant lie, especially since a rather big number of them were duplicate skills so shouldn’t be counted as more than one skill.
Many people in GW1 didn’t really like the heroes back then, simply because it removed the need to play with real players, and thus making it much harder to find groups for certain content.

Oh, and I have never played WoW btw, but nice try.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

There were some nice looking armor, but there are in GW2 as well, and that is after all up to personal opinion, so not really a valid complain anyway.

You could max a character in a day if you knew how, and it was more or less impossible to do it in Prophecies unless you spend a most of that one day playing in order to level up.
But then again, that can also be done in GW2.

He said 1000s (as in more than 2000 skills), that is a blatant lie, especially since a rather big number of them were duplicate skills so shouldn’t be counted as more than one skill.
Many people in GW1 didn’t really like the heroes back then, simply because it removed the need to play with real players, and thus making it much harder to find groups for certain content.

Oh, and I have never played WoW btw, but nice try.

Our bad there were 1319 skills in the whole game, I have to wonder why the duplicates don’t count since they were similar to taking a trait that that allows you to cast a skill twice within its recharge time.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Valanga.5942

Flying shoulderpads and clipping armors said “hi” to you…

Posted by: Maethril.9586

Maethril.9586

Possible, as long as you have either a lot resources or money, preferably both.
Crafting → less than day and you have max lvl character.
While you’re at it, you can use that Crafting to get old “best” gear, exotics in a day, possibly couple ascended ones to add up.

Personally I hate that leveling method, coz it’s for the rich and lazy, but it’s still there.

Lvl 80 Warrior – Ranger – Thief – Elementalist – Mesmer – Guardian.
Switched Anet to Square E and haven’t regretted it even once.

Shockwave.1230

Crafting -> less than day and you have max lvl character.
While you’re at it, you can use that Crafting to get old “best” gear, exotics in a day, possibly couple ascended ones to add up.

Personally I hate that leveling method, coz it’s for the rich and lazy, but it’s still there.

It was possible strictly through time investmest. My record for reaching max level was like 11 hours or something.

Posted by: Maethril.9586

Maethril.9586

Crafting -> less than day and you have max lvl character.

It was possible strictly through time investmest. My record for reaching max level was like 11 hours or something.

I never watched how long it takes, leveled one character to 1->80 with crafting less than day, just wanted to try it out if it’s possible like some people said.
Expensive though, especially nowadays.

EDIT: Gw1 wise it had way less levels too so I don’t find it that shocking if it was fast to get to cap, though I don’t have experience of that game. Wasn’t interested of it at all back then.

Lvl 80 Warrior – Ranger – Thief – Elementalist – Mesmer – Guardian.
Switched Anet to Square E and haven’t regretted it even once.

(edited by Maethril.9586)

lordkrall.7241

Our bad there were 1319 skills in the whole game, I have to wonder why the duplicates don’t count since they were similar to taking a trait that that allows you to cast a skill twice within its recharge time.

Those 1319 is including the duplicates, and no, we shouldn’t count those, seeing as they are not unique skills. They are after all identical other than name and campaign, other then that there is literally no difference at all.

Or are you going to claim that all those armors in GW2 that uses the same skin should be counted as unique armors as well? Because for some reason people never seem to do that, but when talking about GW1 it is apparently fully allowed to do the exact same thing.

Oh, you mean just like the clipping issues that existed in GW1 as well?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Shockwave.1230

Those 1319 is including the duplicates, and no, we shouldn’t count those, seeing as they are not unique skills. They are after all identical other than name and campaign, other then that there is literally no difference at all.

Or are you going to claim that all those armors in GW2 that uses the same skin should be counted as unique armors as well? Because for some reason people never seem to do that, but when talking about GW1 it is apparently fully allowed to do the exact same thing.

Duplicate armors and duplicate skills are different comparisons. It’s like fruits and vegetables.

Duplicate skills were important, because like I said it was like having a trait to cast a skill twice within it’s recharge.

Earthquake an enemy then Dragon’s Stomp an enemy, same skill effect but you can use it twice in order to knocklock a group of enemies.

That’s different than having duplicate skin A and duplicate skin B, because they are mutually exclusive from each other in combat.

Skills are not mutually exclusive from each other.

Valanga.5942

Yeah, you’re right… let’s not try to improve!
From a game that comes years after the previous one, i expect MORE and BETTER than the prequel.

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

My beef is where are all the Mesmer-like armors (besides HoM and I don’t count Masquerade because it looks like it was a dress mauled by a bear or cut by someone as a prank to make a fool of the wearer)? And those Mesmery armors they showed to us before the game was released and aren’t able to be obtained…

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

To someone who never played GW1, these threads sound like grumpy old men sitting on a porch complaining about how much better things were in the “good old days”.

It’s a new game. Take it on its own merits. If there’s specific things you want brought into it from GW1, then suggest it and maybe they’ll do it, but the overall “why is this not like the other game” griping seems pointless.

Posted by: Kiayin.3427

Kiayin.3427

From a game that comes years after the previous one, i expect MORE and BETTER than the prequel.

You expect a mmorpg with no clipping issues…?

You have MORE races, you have MORE body types and you have MORE armor parts to combine.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

My beef is where are all the Mesmer-like armors (besides HoM and I don’t count Masquerade because it looks like it was a dress mauled by a bear or cut by someone as a prank to make a fool of the wearer)? And those Mesmery armors they showed to us before the game was released and aren’t able to be obtained…

The Mesmer armor from GW became the Light Armor from HoM in GW2. All of the HoM armors are old GW armors.

Bagel.4598

You have MORE races, you have MORE body types and you have MORE armor parts to combine.

This would be valid if the bugs that existed and acknowledged in other areas of the game had been fixed within an entire year of identification, let alone armour clipping issues.

Anet does the bare minimum, as proven by using living story as an excuse to not make an expansion.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Some Guild Wars 1 armors were completely horrid though and many didn’t appear at launch. Some didn’t appear until Eye of the North a couple of years later.

And may of the armor skins from Guild Wars 1, I thought were a joke anyway. I guess we get to ignore those.

Kiayin.3427

This would be valid if the bugs that existed and acknowledged in other areas of the game had been fixed within an entire year of identification, let alone armour clipping issues.

Anet does the bare minimum, as proven by using living story as an excuse to not make an expansion.

And a lot of bugs have been fixed.

I wouldn’t call the living story an excuse; it was a choice, and a cool idea. I do believe its implementation was flawed and at this point I’d rather an expansion myself, as it would allow them to concentrate more on the content itself and to rely less on gem sales. But the amount of detail and thought that goes into each update is staggering, and saying that Anet does the bare minimum is simply untrue.

OP: how much of a difference could there be, once you dye it properly?

Attachments:

Bagel.4598

I wouldn’t call the living story an excuse; it was a choice, and a cool idea. I do believe its implementation was flawed and at this point I’d rather an expansion myself, as it would allow them to concentrate more on the content itself and to rely less on gem sales. But the amount of detail and thought that goes into each update is staggering, and saying that Anet does the bare minimum is simply untrue.

You are kidding right?
It was an excuse.
A year was the interval for gw1 campaign additions.
Entirely new continent, skills, weapons, weapon skins, armour skins, professions, monsters, lore.
Gw2 has poorly written and rushed unrelated lore.
Bugs that benefit players are either hotfixed or fixed with a patch days after they are discovered, bugs that hinder players to game breaking point are ignored for months or even years.
Broken promises and lack of entire teams (dungeon teams) ruin in game content.
Sure it was a choice for them not to make an expansion, but living story was an excuse for the choice.
They are all for gem sales to the point where they implement infusions so players will buy their gem store item of infusion removing consumables.

(edited by Bagel.4598)

Kiayin.3427

You are kidding right?
It was an excuse.
Entirely new continent, skills, weapons, weapon skins, armour skins, professions, monsters, lore.
Bugs that benefit players are either hotfixed or fixed with a patch days after they are discovered, bugs that hinder players to game breaking point are ignored for months or even years.
Sure it was a choice for them not to make an expansion, but living story was an excuse for the choice.
They are all for gem sales to the point where they implement infusions so players will buy their gem store item of infusion removing consumables.
Money hungry biased slackers.

I do not agree. You listed all the cons and conveniently forgot all the pros. Let’s leave it at that. It’s Wintersday! Have a good time. Wherever that may be. –

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Majority of GW2’s armor is definitely a major step down from GW1.
It’s one of the things that bother me the most.
Although I like the Ascended light, it’s normal fitting and doesn’t have a huge skirt.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Bagel.4598

You are kidding right?
It was an excuse.

I do not agree. You listed all the cons and conveniently forgot all the pros. Let’s leave it at that. It’s Wintersday! Have a good time. Wherever that may be. –

The pros are why I play and what I paid/pay for.
The cons are why I am disgruntled and posting here.
You don’t pay extra every time the loaf of bread you buy from your baker is great and makes you go back, but you sure as hell tell them if there is a problem.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

>People complain
>People complain

Dev’s can’t win.

When I purchased the game, it was already changing although I didn’t know it until I started playing.

Many people would have been in the same boat so to speak. What they purchased and what they thought they were purchasing based on the company’s original plans/ideology was proved to be erroneous.

These dev’s will never win because the trust has been lost, trust being important to any relationship.

I’d never buy another of their games simply for that reason, I couldn’t trust anything they say.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

You are kidding right?
It was an excuse.

You don’t pay extra every time the loaf of bread you buy from your baker is great and makes you go back, but you sure as hell tell them if there is a problem.

Some people can’t use the TP because of the screwed up font, they’ve told the baker from the start.
He ignored them.

Bagel.4598

You are kidding right?
It was an excuse.

Some people can’t use the TP because of the screwed up font, they’ve told the baker from the start.
He ignored them.

I’m not sure of what you are saying. I feel like you half stated a con you feel about the game and half used my analogy.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

>People complain
>People complain

Dev’s can’t win.

Actually they could… But it’s easier to just don’t make the game better and keep milking grinders…

Except for when they do, no one wants to play it.

Look at TSW for example. A modern setting, the best wardrobe function I’ve seen in a game, 525 primary skills, 50 or so auxiliary weapon skills, and about 60 more augment skills you can play around with, and a storyline thats better than most console games, with a ton of interesting side missions in every zone (with their own cutscenes etc). You could even say its like an improved version of GW1.

Look at how low the subscription numbers went before they had to turn in B2P….

And armor looks really is quite subjective. Personally I found about maybe 3 sets of armor in GW1 good-looking, and only remembers Lich’s Raiment as being amazing. The most prestigious armor in the game, Obsidian, look like crud, and the mesmer class in its entirety had nothing which didn’t make me question if the devs actually pur any effort in.

GW2’s armor skins certainly isnt amazing when compared to games like Vindictus, but its step up from GW1 for me personally.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Exactly. The predecessor for the game that should have learned from the mistakes of GW1. Still in GW2.

Complained about long before you heard of GW1, complained about to this day, not ever been fixed. Maybe they should learn from Bethesda?

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

I’ve never been much of a fan of Anet’s armor designs, but I still think GW1 had the better looking armor.