The Hero's dangerous obsession

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LightOfTheMoon.4261

LightOfTheMoon.4261

Please note: I hope I manage to create a funny thread to put a smile on your face, I’m not trying to insult anyone or start a flame war. So, let’s begin

No offense, but the Hero (our character, that is) has a very dangerous obsession. The evidence lies below, as fragments from his (or her) own diary:

I can’t believe I gained entrance to the Fractals of the Mist, a place filled with mysteries and powerful magic that I don’t understand… now I’m just going to collect little pieces of it and create from them a Fractal Capacitor that I’ll wear on my back!
If only there were rare, expensive, magical globs of ectoplasm in the world… oh, there are? Let me just get a stack and infuse the Fractal Capacitor with the magic contained within. I bet it’s completely safe, especially since I still don’t fully understand the lore behind the Fractals

Casually going about the Personal Story, learning that an Elder Dragon sees and knows everything his minions see and know. I bet this will never strike anyone as important information, huh?

Hey! I just got a karka shell. Since karka are minions of the Deep Sea Dragon, and I’m the Commander of the Pact that fights against the Elder Dragons, let me just wear it on my back and take it with me everywhere! How cool is that?

Wait! We’re fighting Mordremoth now? Okay, so I guess this is a seed from which one of his minions will grow. Let me just embark on a quest that will take me to remote locations all over Tyria, in an effort to make sure this little Mordrem grows big and strong. And I’ll feed him magical food made with Bloodstone dust, just to be sure.

What’s that Trahearne? We have cryptobotanists now? They dissect Mordrem to learn how they function, so that we may have a better chance at fighting them? That’s cool I guess… NO, I will NOT give them my little Mawdrey! She may be oozing magic from every pore to the point where the air itself blurs all around her, and looks like it’s trying to strangle me, buuut… I’m going to put her on my back and bring her to the super-important summit where Tyria’s leaders discuss how they should fight Mordremoth!

As you can see, the Hero simply cannot resist the temptation of taking any dangerous, powerful, magical thing he comes across and strapping it to his back, even when dragon minions are concerned!

I believe a rehab program is desperately needed.

Ascalonian, Sir, and proud of it!
Playing on Seafarer’s Rest
Ellen! Ellen! She’s our woman! Don’t vote Charr! Elect a Human!

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Ahh yes. A candid look at the archetypal Player Character in many a roleplaying game (especially tabletop games).

Player Characters are nigh-invariably munchkins. The BBEG’s corpse at the end of your epic campaign will not have hit the ground upon death before at least one player will have their loot-rolling dice out, and be calling dibs on ‘that purple-glowing sword and any amulet that gives them bigger plusses than the one they’ve got’.

These…are the Munchkins. Their modus operandi? To level up, kill all the things and take their stuff.

The GM has carefully and lavishly explained about how the Moonstone Necklace of Abrath-Un drives its wearers mad, but grants enormous Kewl Powaz? The Munchkin PC will not let a triviality like madness deter him – he will try to find or finagle for any loophole that allows him to at least wear it during fights without suffering penalties or drawbacks.

O’yea, the Munchkin PC will be pleased to try to figure out whatever gives them the most plusses no matter where it came from or why. Nagging doubts about just why the Demon King sent them a minion with this ERMAGERD MAGICAL suit of epic armor as a ‘gift’ must be thoroughly dismissed when looking at ALL DEM PLUSSES, and because the Munchkin PC is insane from wearing the Moonstone Amulet for all its plusses while mostly hoping the GM will forget the rest of the annoying stuff.

So what if the Demon King can then control them like a puppet when they wear it and uses them to assassinate their companions soon after? Their plusses have never been higher! They’re IMMUNE TO FIRE AND COLD! Plus, the GM said their fancy purple sword of thing-killing now has a second fiery aura around the purple glow.

To the munchkin PC? Nothing less than the phrase ‘Totally Worth It’ can be applied to the above scenario.

And almost every player character in an MMO is played like the utmost of munchkins.

:D

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

(edited by naiasonod.9265)

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

~Snip~

Hey! I just got a karka shell. Since karka are minions of the Deep Sea Dragon, and I’m the Commander of the Pact that fights against the Elder Dragons, let me just wear it on my back and take it with me everywhere! How cool is that?

~Snip~

I get you’re trying to be funny, but it is not as funny when you do not speak the truth. Karka are not minions of the DSD, but where driven out of their homeland(so to speak) by the DSD, along with the Quaggan and Krait, and potentially the Largos.