The 'I'd Pay for Dungeons' Thread

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: JLHiggs.6258

JLHiggs.6258

The point of this thread is not to debate whether or not you’d pay for dungeons. It’s not to debate instanced content as a concept. This is a simple thread for people who would be willing to buy access to additional dungeons to say so, and give ArenaNet an idea of how many folks in the community would do this.

If you wouldn’t, you’re not pertinent to this discussion. Other people spending money would in no way obligate you to spend money.

Let me kick things off. I would be willing to pay 800 gems for a decent dungeon path, and I’d spend cash.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

i would pay 1 gem and buy it with gold

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

If it was to be a thing where arenanet sells access to separate dungeons you do start to fracture the community, just like what happened with Fractals of the Mists before they finally sorted that out.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

If you wouldn’t, you’re not pertinent to this discussion. Other people spending money would in no way obligate you to spend money.

This is a public forum, so you don’t get to decide who has input and who doesn’t. Dissenters have just as much right to make their feelings known as much as those who approved of this suggestion.

As has been pointed out, such a scheme would fracture the community and cause a clear divide between the haves and have-nots.

Just because you’re willing to throw money around doesn’t mean that everybody else should be required to in order to keep up.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I wouldn’t.

I’m already paying for raids / advanced group content trough HoT

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: JLHiggs.6258

JLHiggs.6258

The entire purpose of this conversation is not to debate the merits of paying for dungeons, but rather to find a community-derived price if they were to implement a system like that. It’s entirely fair to propose a question and ask people to stay on topic with their answer without going tangential.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Unless the proposed system would have an otherwise negative impact on the game. It would be like saying supposed we introduced poison into the water. This conversation is just about that. Should we do it.

And someone comes along and says well people will die if you do it and you’d be saying well, no, that’s not what this conversation is about.

That’s obviously an exaagerated analogy just for entertainment purposes, but you’re asking a question that affects everyone in the game not just you. You can’t expect them not to have an opinion on it.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

The entire purpose of this conversation is not to debate the merits of paying for dungeons, but rather to find a community-derived price if they were to implement a system like that.

The “community-derived price” is zero, because it’s a bad idea that the “community” doesn’t appear to be in support of.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

i wouldnt pay to gain access for a dungeon.

Imagine you had access to AC,CM and TA dungeons,but had to pay additional fees to gain access to CoF, HotW and others? (weather it be in gems or $only..) how would you feel?

Paying for a expansion that gives a lot of features, updates, upgrades, maps,zones, changes as well as new group content ,dungeons or raids is a whole other thing…

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Whatever happens in this thread will not matter at all.
Only a very tiny minority of all players bothers to read the forums, much less post.

Your goal seems to be to check whether or not a new dungeon would be worth making for Arenanet, but the way you do it cant work even if nobody would dare to disturb your all important thread.

And “paying for dungeons” is a terrible idea to begin with.

The fact that you are incredibly arrogant about this to make up for the futility of this thread doesnt help either.

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

Would there be specific loot tied to this dungeon similar to Aetherpath weapons?

If so, how is this not a P2W scenario?

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I thought I paid for dungeon access when I bought GW2?

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

This sounds like DnD, where you had to buy dungeons. I wouldn’t be a fan of this idea.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Vayne.8563

I hated it in DnD and didn’t like the locked off areas in Lotro either.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Personally I’d drop the 25-50 the expansion would likely cost just for a new Arah.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

So this isn’t a discussion thread, it’s just a thread for people who agree with OP?

I wouldn’t pay and I will discuss this because such an arrangement will change the nature of the game I play, much to my detriment.

No, this is exactly how I thought the conversation would progress. Those seeking to dictate other people’s play chime in to hijack a discussion.

Oh the hypocrisy!!!!!

(edited by Sandpit.3467)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I’d end up paying because of how thirsty I am for new content.

I don’t give a kitten what it takes – just give me new dungeons. PLEASE.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I’d end up paying because of how thirsty I am for new content.

I don’t give a kitten what it takes – just give me new dungeons. PLEASE.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

for new content? sure, I would. Not 800 gems, but maybe 200 per path (like unlocking LS episodes).

As for your “if you wouldn’t you’re not blah blah” this is an open discussion forum and everyone has a right to their say. not allowing an opposing opinion skews any possible data ANet could collect from this discussion.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

That’s a snarky assumption, don’t you think?

I think my opinion is very pertinent to this discussion. See what you’re talking about is essentially bribing the developers into a specific design structure for your own gain. To say “I’ll give you money to make X for the game”, that is what you’re doing. It effects me in such a way as it takes time and resources away from core structure of this game’s already set design path.

The developers are working their tails off making the design of group content to be as open as possible by making it within the game’s world. To try to pigeonhole that into a design structured ground small groups of 5 within an enclosed instanced system is absurd. It takes away from everything GW2 has been aspiring to be since the game launched back in 2012.

The Marionette? Lion’s Arch Invasion? Tower of Nightmares? Giant plant worm? Te’Quatl’s revamp. All these things are group content that they pushed for large scale participation and organization.

Dungeons are not what this game is about and shouldn’t be the focus of development; whether or not you’re willing to pay is moot to that matter.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Dungeons are not what this game is about and shouldn’t be the focus of development; whether or not you’re willing to pay is moot to that matter.

Shame really, that GW2 isn’t more about some Dungeons and Fractals…. Regardless not like there is a dedicated dungeon team or anything. Probably hasn’t been for well into the last two years. Like I said, such a shame and waste. I would be interested in the metrics of just how many players within two 24 hour periods (once during random time during the week and once during random time during the weekend) actually enter dungeons.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Who said dungeons are not what this game is not about….
Please show me an Anet quote.

Dungeons are highly organised instance content just like living story – the big difference is that you can gain loot on each replay of the dungeon. You cannot redo a living story on the same toon hundreds of times and gain loot – so people won’t do them unless it’s on a different toon.

In terms of repeating content many players probably have 200+ times dungeon master completed that is :200×5 paths =1000 paths! That was after completing all the dungeons the first time around.

If you can show me any character who has completed living story for that long or played the same number of hours there – please do so compared to a person who enjoys dungeons.

Dungeons have a high replay-ability content eand if it was not time gated (1 reward / account) and heavily under this form of DR – there would be even more people running this.

The problem with open world events is that it relies on many individuals where you have 0 control of what the final outcome will be.. Let’s look at:
Three headed Wurm = takes one person to mess it all up.
Tequatl = A handful of AFKs at the wrong place can badly affect the Defense and make the run much harder. Requires people to know the content in mass numbers before the event works (also don’t be in nobads gear !).
Marionette = we know how badly that performed where people count work out the basic mechanics – avoid aoe rings, dodge etc or what was needed for each circle for the event.
Vinewrath/Silverwastes= Can be failed where people don’t know the mechanics or bring the wrong skills/don’t do the things at each boss required. Fail to bring enough dps etc. Its a Hugh gamble if a map will fail or loose.

All of the above open world events have a long ramp up time before they can be started again.

Now dungeons however -can be restarted from a waypoint at any time. Allows people to join together in a small group in a co-ordinated way and work out how to best strategise and win as a team without any afk, trolling of events that make big open world event content sometimes fail. The same content and control allows continuous improvement at the content.

I would like to see more instances repeatable lootable content (eg dungeons)- in GW1 this is what kept many of us playing for exclusive loot drops (RNG – got to love and hate it at the same time) or for valuable currency items to buy other stuff.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Oh and I love the RNJesus – where aTA Aether weapons drop would pay for my next precursor … Now if only one could drop for me.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I would, in the form of an expansion. Locking specific playable content behind a pay wall is a terrible idea from a player’s perspective (but obviously a great business decision). These dungeons would surely produce their own bits of unique items, so anyone who doesn’t buy in will miss out on that exclusive content. That is not fair. They already kind of do this in the form of LS chapters if you don’t log in at the appropriate time, and personally I don’t like it. But I digress, ArenaNet is a business. They’ll do whatever their business model requires.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

If the expansion has no dungeon-like content I will not be buying it. Take that for what it’s worth.

Posted by: maxan.7836

maxan.7836

Well covered comments above – All things in a game should be available to the whole community – No – I would not pay -

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I’d be willing to pay another full expansion’s price for dungeons. It’d be higher if I wasn’t a poor college student. Dungeons >>> open world events/bosses.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Well covered comments above – All things in a game should be available to the whole community – No – I would not pay -

Posted by: exp.3178

exp.3178

go play a p2w game. This is gw2.
A payed dungeon would give ppl gear(or skins) that belong to that dungeon.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Well.. it depends on how good the dungeon is, how good the armor set\weapon set looks, how challenging it is and so on. Would i pay for a decent dungeon that tears me a new one cause of challenge with a nice looking armor set at the end waiting for me (after i got the tokens together obviosly)? Sure, why not, i in fact would welcome it.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I would be willing to pay 800 gems simply to unlock scaling dungeons (1-5 players) – no new paths needed

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

People sometimes make the case that the forums are a microcosm of the entire community. With regard to some issues, this might even be true. The OP presents a simple question, “Would you pay…” The unfortunate part about his request that those who would not pay stay out is that (if the unlikely were to occur and this issue were one where the forums actually did represent the entire community) ANet would not know if those not posting were not willing to pay or if they just didn’t see the thread. I’m afraid that information might be relevant to ANet.

As for me, well, it depends. I might buy a package deal with several types of gameplay content (like an expansion) or I might not. I would not pay a per-path fee, however.

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

The OP presents a simple question, “Would you pay…” The unfortunate part about his request that those who would not pay stay out

As for me, well, it depends. I might buy a package deal with several types of gameplay content (like an expansion) or I might not. I would not pay a per-path fee, however.

I cannot make an informed decision on his question unless the following questions are answered.

Would there be specific loot tied to this dungeon similar to Aetherpath weapons?

If so, how is this not a P2W scenario?

the answers to the first question can make my answer range from yes i would pay for the content to no and i will quit gw2.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

This is a public forum, so you don’t get to decide who has input and who doesn’t. Dissenters have just as much right to make their feelings known as much as those who approved of this suggestion.

As has been pointed out, such a scheme would fracture the community and cause a clear divide between the haves and have-nots.

Just because you’re willing to throw money around doesn’t mean that everybody else should be required to in order to keep up.

I agree that all opinions on this topic are valid, but I do not see how this would cause a clear divide between the haves and have-nots. The gem store has done that from the game’s inception. The much celebrated Heart of Thorns expansion will also do the same. Not seeing the problem with paying for additional content.

And of course, yes I would support this. As long as the cost is reasonable and the dungeons are well made and have good replay value.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

I guess most of the people against this idea didn’t get the Bonus Mission Pack in GW1 that was, essentially, instanced content that gave unique (and awesome) skin rewards.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Vayne.8563

I guess most of the people against this idea didn’t get the Bonus Mission Pack in GW1 that was, essentially, instanced content that gave unique (and awesome) skin rewards.

Nope I wasn’t against the Bonus mission pack. I have absolutely NOTHING again solo content like that. Because it is solo. No one can come with you.

But I have a guild full of people and what I don’t want to see is someone saying, looking for a group to do this dungeon and then hearing them say, sorry you can’t join us, you don’t have the pack.

It creates complications. It puts pressure on people who might not have the money to get it to keep up with everyone else…sort of like an expansion.

But for the people who don’t have it, and they’re watching others run these dungeons, it’s a bit of a let down. That’s not the case with the historical mission pack.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

But I have a guild full of people and what I don’t want to see is someone saying, looking for a group to do this dungeon and then hearing them say, sorry you can’t join us, you don’t have the pack.

It creates complications. It puts pressure on people who might not have the money to get it to keep up with everyone else…sort of like an expansion.

This is understandable. I’ve seen this happen first hand in DDO and LotRO where we could unlock content in bits and pieces. It sucks, but it’s life.

We’ve already established that ANet cannot give us any substantial content without revenue to fund it, and it’s unreasonable to limit options for those willing to pay so that we don’t upset those who can or will not.

Vayne.8563

This is understandable. I’ve seen this happen first hand in DDO and LotRO where we could unlock content in bits and pieces. It sucks, but it’s life.

We’ve already established that ANet cannot give us any substantial content without revenue to fund it, and it’s unreasonable to limit options for those willing to pay so that we don’t upset those who can or will not.

Yes, it’s precisely after playing DDO and Lotro that I’m against it. It causes more problems than it solved…for me. Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Paying for locked bits and pieces of a game is always bad. It split up the community and make it less fun for everyone.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I would pay for content packs, but not for small bits like individual extra fractals or dungeons.

For example, I would pay for something like GW1’s Bonus Mission Pack if the price is reasonable, but not to be able to play just the Abaddon fractal no matter how interesting that sounds.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I paid for a game and connectivity issue that became even more frequent with Megaserver update hasn’t been fixed even a bit.
Why should I pay for access to something when such a basic thing as connection doesn’t work properly?

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

If it was to ever become a thing, and I sincerely doubt it would, I liked DDO’s system where you could either subscribe for access to everything, or pick and choose which ones you wanted to buy, and just like in GW2, you could buy them with their cash to ingame currency earned through playing the game.

Gave 3 options:
Don’t want to mess around picking and choosing stuff/worry about which friends can play which dungeons? Buy a subscription and have access to everything.
Have a bunch of time/willing to do some grinding? Earn gems via gold to buy it.
Want to only buy the stuff you’re interested in doing and have access to it forever once you buy it? Buy only the dungeons you want AND guest passes were available for a small amount so you could run through the content once and test it out/buy a pass for your friends.

Of course, living story was the best of them all, get a bunch of stuff for free, but I think the community ruined that one already with their constant complaining without understanding that it was a content delivery platform, not the content itself. But I’m sure forking over 40$ or whatever for HoT will make SOMEONE happy…

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Nope I wasn’t against the Bonus mission pack. I have absolutely NOTHING again solo content like that. Because it is solo. No one can come with you.

But for the people who don’t have it, and they’re watching others run these dungeons, it’s a bit of a let down. That’s not the case with the historical mission pack.

Curious, do you feel the same way about the new open world content in the expansion?

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I’d also buy Super Adventure Box, but oh well.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I’m confused. When did ArenaNet say, “We are not making enough money off box sales to feed our starving childrens! Please give us an idea to make more money?!” Link plz?

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I wouldn’t, because the content should be open to all to have more people playing it, making it easier to find groups.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

oh no. unless you pay for the content you can’t do it. that is so not fair. everything should be free and given to me.

/s

actually on topic, yes. I would pay for new dungeons definitely.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I would pay $50 for an expansion specifically targeting end-game, instanced content. Here’s to hoping!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I would pay $50 for an expansion specifically targeting end-game, instanced content. Here’s to hoping!

+1

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I wouldn’t.

I’m already paying for raids / advanced group content trough HoT

Pahahahaha!

So naive.