The (In)justice of Ascended

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MetalGirl.2370

MetalGirl.2370

There won’t be higher stats than Ascended EVER, so it’s not the point to get it so easy. At launch people used to be full exotic within a week and less and were going on and on how there should be a higher stat gear so they have something to work on. Now when we have Ascended, you people complain about it. Plus it’s easy to get it, it’s your problem that you log in like 1 hour a day or less, if you played more you’d have it in no time. And I think that as a veteran IT IS fair that I have it all because I played instead of complaining about it. Plus ascended is not even a must have.

Mesmerizing

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I don’t mind traditional grinding but i absolutely hate being timegated. It feels like the most cheap method of keeping a player in your game…it’s actually kinda pathetic.

I would agree, if it was not possible to bypass the timegating.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

I don’t mind traditional grinding but i absolutely hate being timegated. It feels like the most cheap method of keeping a player in your game…it’s actually kinda pathetic.

Believe it’s more a market control aspect, being able to mass produce Damask would tank the price. However it is true that it would be a cheap and inefficient way to keep players playing, if that was its intent.

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

While doing the bioluminescent armour achievement, I gathered so many raw materials, flat out gold and keys that turned into even more gold after chest farming all that, that I ended up making the light and heavy ascended armours and still had leftover. It’s a boring grind, but you get so much out of it, it’s not even funny.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PP PLS:

In wvw ppl below 230 levels and above are already in a way different level, as are pugs without builds and food, compared to the silver, gold and platinum fighters…

Even the ascneded armor will not help you to compete. As the experience ppl will get 2500 Hp 100 power and condition dmage wich last even through downs, and ppl using wvw infusions will always have a point up over those also using thier armors for Fractals and so on.

Be aware Ascended armor does give you 5%-7% more armor , depending if you have toughness in your build and could give you 5-10.5% more DPS if you have a zerk armor…

then again the 2 buffs added and food added and bloodlust added and stacking sigils added will make this rather minor, When fully buffed I run 600-700+ more power (without banners or might) then base. (100 power/ 100 condi dmg from 1st buff), 30, 50 or 70 from bloodlust, 250 from stacking sigil, 100 power from food (seldomly run def food tbh. ) ~150-170 power from sharps.
In combat I gain another 600 power and 600 condition dmg from might making me 1200 power more powerfull in combat compared to entering…

Also 30, 50, 70 vitality, healing power, condition dmg, toughness and so on should be considered.

The 17 slots provided for ascneded gear are quite underwhelming … and when considering all numbers the 5% from armor, and the 5% from weapon are the only gain, which is based on a long term investment.

You can make it, some people have it. I have 5 characters with 1 or more pieces of ascended armor (1 with 2 full sets, 1 with 1 full set, 2 with chest and legs and 1 with only chest. of those 5 character only 2 have a set dedicated to WvW on the other 5 charatcer I only use ascneded trinkets and weapons., mostly as I cannot afford the 275-575 gold for each character. And food and utility will far outweigh the benefits… of an armor….

I have my character in exotic armor instantly when achieving 80. having no long term goal will make your reasons to play way smaller. nobody cares for legendaries anymore, as they are more common then all other exotic skins. leaving you nothing to achieve anymore other then playing the game working to reach the platinum or mithril levels of some other players…

You will not be comparable to those players until you are quite a bit in your gold levels… so ~lvl 1400 or so. even when wearing ascneded armor. as they are more versatile, carry more supplies, use ’m faster, can jump on any siege with maximium effects and are inrically familiar with all possible nooks and crannies of the maps…

I know ppl with 7 or 8 k AP who played since headstart. and have ugly characters because they only care about WvW, they only play for WvW, not for looks, skins, points but just know zergs, roaming, and all other facets, I know ppl who played wvw for a long time and did some PvP to return quite dissapointed cause none of the sharks, phoenixes and dragons could hold their own. while they were only bunnies.

It is a gaming mode in its own. fighting with 30 guildies wiping 50 or 60 man blobs asks for coordination and skill, not just armors.

And the fact ppl think they cannot ever aquire ascneded, well just start.
You will make 1 piece and a week later the second, maybe 1 or 2 weeks later the 3rd and in 2 months give or take 2 weeks you’ll have your armor. Just make sure you think about the stats, wrong stats are nioce but unusable for 300+ gold…

Finally, when playing PvE it really doesn’t matter if you run exotic or ascneded except in lvl 39+ fractals. and even there it is not 100% neccesary. leaving the unjustice of ascneded very very much a personal opinion. in 2 or 3 months you will have your own armor and you’ll compare and find it give you some change, but if you are going to be in problems the differences between exotic and ascneded will not save you…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

Yes. And lol at WvW being more skilled than sPvP…

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I was under the impression this was the OP’s secondary account. Perhaps, I am confused by the post history.

As to the question, no, I don’t think it is unfair.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

As a newish player myself (started in March with one of the 75% off sales), I think it certainly is an injustice to those who have been here for a while and someone who just started demands to have Item X right away. Work for it just like everyone else did. That’s what I’ll be doing.

Kids today…

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

with most of the sets you can skip the timegate by paying little bit extra money. I`ve just bought all timegated mats from tp and crafted whole berserker set in one day.

Posted by: Royale.5863

Royale.5863

Does anyone else think it is totally not fair that we have to grind this time gated gear out? I mean I just recently started the game and would like to get this gear but it seems like a pain. It’s just not fair that others who have been around since launch have multiple sets. It makes me feel so far behind everyone else. I heard that stat difference isn’t much but 5% seems like a lot to me. I’d suggest to up exotic gear to the same as ascended so we don’t have this problem. This also goes against what I thought Anet stood for with no vertical progression and for casual gamers. This is just like WoW with gear grind. And then you need multiple sets of it for different runes and builds. It should just be for fractals. /end rant

So players that have played longer and grinded more are penalized because you don’t want to grind out these sets that dont really provide that much of a difference anyway? How about instead of worrying about the last 5% of a stat which may or may not have helped you you actually learn to play really well or….and dont be shocked…put in some work.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

It should just be for fractals.

Yes, ascended gear should have been just for fractals, and even there, just for the agony resistance, with stats otherwise no better than exotic gear.

The table is a fable.

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

It is not like ascneded was itroduced recently or something:

Game Update Notes – November 15, 2012

New Rarity Type: Ascended

Ascended rarity falls between Exotics and Legendaries on the rarity spectrum.
Ascended items have higher stats than Exotics and come with slots for the new upgrade type, Infusions.
Ascended rings and back slot items have been added to the game.

New Upgrade Type: Infusion

Infusions are a new type of upgrade component that can only be slotted into a matching Infusion slot.
Added 12 new Infusions of the offensive, defensive, and omni types to the game.
Create Infusions through the Mystic Forge using new crafting materials.

Game Update Notes – September 3, 2013

NEW FEATURES AND CONTENT
Changes to Crafting

Weaponsmith, Huntsman, and Artificer can now be leveled to a rating of 500.
Crafting experience for all disciplines has been updated to accommodate leveling to a rating of 500. As part of this, the total amount of leveling experience that comes from leveling a crafting discipline now requires leveling all the way to a rating of 500.
New ascended material refinement recipes now unlock at a rating of 450.
Ascended inscription recipes are available for purchase at all master craftsmen and require a rating of 500 to craft.
Ascended weapon recipes are available for purchase at all master craftsmen and laurel vendors and require a rating of 500 to craft.
Crafting discoveries for exotics have been reset to allow for rediscovery that gives bonus experience and facilitates leveling to a rating of 500.
Some of the new crafting recipes, including those for Ectoplasm Refinement, have cooldowns that must elapse before they can be crafted again.
There is a new collection in the bank that holds ascended crafting materials.
The wood cost on crafting staff shafts has been reduced from 6 to 4.

Game Update Notes – December 10, 2013

Armorsmith, Tailor, and Leatherworker can now be leveled to a rating of 500.
New ascended-material refinement recipes unlock at a rating of 450.
Ascended insignia recipes are now available for purchase from master craftsmen and require a rating of 500 to craft.
Ascended armor recipes are now available for purchase from master craftsmen and laurel merchants and require a rating of 500 to craft.
Crafting discoveries for exotics have been reset to allow for rediscovery that gives bonus experience and facilitates leveling to a rating of 500.

So when looking at this in May 2015 we can say:

1. Ascneded trinkets and back have existed for almost 2,5 years now, the game is nearly 2,75 years old.
  2. Ascended weapons have existed for almost 1,75 year now
  3. Ascended armor has exoisted well over a year now, closing 1,5 years.

So it’s not like they did it just recently. The request was originally from people who had 5 or more characters with max stat gear in 2012 and asked for content so they could continue to improve their gear on main and alts in the long term.

On average a legendary should take 3-6 months of farming and a ascneded set should take 2-3 months farming… And I mean farming, not talking about doing the TP flip and buying everything in 12 months and saying: Well, there is no content.

Just be patient, I just finished my 3rd armor and I have gotten 3 boxes of armor and put them to good use. I have been playing since headstart.

So you know. And still ascneded gear is not as powerfull as anybody says. In 90+% of the game it functrions like exotic gear anyways, as it downscales below lvl 80. rendering your gear exotic in all areas except for SW, DT, southsun COve and Cursed shore, and in ALL dungeons with exceptions of COE explorable, HOTW explorable and ARAH. The only place where it holds true value is in WvW where infusions could be added, (whcih is useless atm, but the +5% amror is nice) and FRACTALS weher it is very usefull in lvl 50 fractals, as most ppl DO have an wepaons set and armor, but no aquabreather or underwater weapon(s) of ascneded quality..

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Does anyone else think it is totally not fair that we have to grind this time gated gear out? I mean I just recently started the game and would like to get this gear but it seems like a pain. It’s just not fair that others who have been around since launch have multiple sets. It makes me feel so far behind everyone else. I heard that stat difference isn’t much but 5% seems like a lot to me. I’d suggest to up exotic gear to the same as ascended so we don’t have this problem. This also goes against what I thought Anet stood for with no vertical progression and for casual gamers. This is just like WoW with gear grind. And then you need multiple sets of it for different runes and builds. It should just be for fractals. /end rant

Totally. What I don’t think is fair is that I have to start at level 1 and am forced to level to 80. I mean, it just isn’t fair that someone who has played the game for longer gets to be a higher level than I am and have more stats and traits. I should be able to make a character that starts out at level 80 with full Ascended gear.

While on the topic, does anyone else find it unfair that people who have been around since launch and been playing WvW get to be thousands of ranks higher than everyone else? I want to be rank 3000, but it’s so unfair I have to grind that out. They should give you the option to choose what WvW rank you are when you make your character.

/s

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Cyrill Faust.9340

Cyrill Faust.9340

PP PLS:

In wvw ppl below 230 levels and above are already in a way different level, as are pugs without builds and food, compared to the silver, gold and platinum fighters…

Even the ascneded armor will not help you to compete. As the experience ppl will get 2500 Hp 100 power and condition dmage wich last even through downs, and ppl using wvw infusions will always have a point up over those also using thier armors for Fractals and so on.

Be aware Ascended armor does give you 5%-7% more armor , depending if you have toughness in your build and could give you 5-10.5% more DPS if you have a zerk armor…

then again the 2 buffs added and food added and bloodlust added and stacking sigils added will make this rather minor, When fully buffed I run 600-700+ more power (without banners or might) then base. (100 power/ 100 condi dmg from 1st buff), 30, 50 or 70 from bloodlust, 250 from stacking sigil, 100 power from food (seldomly run def food tbh. ) ~150-170 power from sharps.
In combat I gain another 600 power and 600 condition dmg from might making me 1200 power more powerfull in combat compared to entering…

Also 30, 50, 70 vitality, healing power, condition dmg, toughness and so on should be considered.

The 17 slots provided for ascneded gear are quite underwhelming … and when considering all numbers the 5% from armor, and the 5% from weapon are the only gain, which is based on a long term investment.

You can make it, some people have it. I have 5 characters with 1 or more pieces of ascended armor (1 with 2 full sets, 1 with 1 full set, 2 with chest and legs and 1 with only chest. of those 5 character only 2 have a set dedicated to WvW on the other 5 charatcer I only use ascneded trinkets and weapons., mostly as I cannot afford the 275-575 gold for each character. And food and utility will far outweigh the benefits… of an armor….

I have my character in exotic armor instantly when achieving 80. having no long term goal will make your reasons to play way smaller. nobody cares for legendaries anymore, as they are more common then all other exotic skins. leaving you nothing to achieve anymore other then playing the game working to reach the platinum or mithril levels of some other players…

You will not be comparable to those players until you are quite a bit in your gold levels… so ~lvl 1400 or so. even when wearing ascneded armor. as they are more versatile, carry more supplies, use ’m faster, can jump on any siege with maximium effects and are inrically familiar with all possible nooks and crannies of the maps…

I know ppl with 7 or 8 k AP who played since headstart. and have ugly characters because they only care about WvW, they only play for WvW, not for looks, skins, points but just know zergs, roaming, and all other facets, I know ppl who played wvw for a long time and did some PvP to return quite dissapointed cause none of the sharks, phoenixes and dragons could hold their own. while they were only bunnies.

It is a gaming mode in its own. fighting with 30 guildies wiping 50 or 60 man blobs asks for coordination and skill, not just armors.

You will make 1 piece and a week later the second, maybe 1 or 2 weeks later the 3rd and in 2 months give or take 2 weeks you’ll have your armor. Just make sure you think about the stats, wrong stats are nioce but unusable for 300+ gold…

Finally, when playing PvE it really doesn’t matter if you run exotic or ascneded except in lvl 39+ fractals. and even there it is not 100% neccesary. leaving the unjustice of ascneded very very much a personal opinion. in 2 or 3 months you will have your own armor and you’ll compare and find it give you some change, but if you are going to be in problems the differences between exotic and ascneded will not save you…

Your vastly over estimating the boost you get from ascended armor the armor bonus is 4.9-5.1%(depending on armor class) for the full set and if you wearing all zerk the dps bonus would be about 1.5%.

Proud member of [BANK] my bank guild and [BANK](2) my other bank guild

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Yes. And lol at WvW being more skilled than sPvP…

Thank you for your very usefull comment, staying so well on topic.

And do understand ppl playing WvW ALSO play PvP, and it is not structured. It isn’t fair: it is WvW. If you take a zerg and wipe all guild groups they need to rebuild stacks, until then they are way less effective. Realize this…

Also realize this is how WvW is played, and when fighting 30 vs 40 while the 40 have stacks and you do not: you are showing greater skill then those in PvP, IMO.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

This QQ thread is about 2.5 years late and was to be expected when Ascended gear got announced way back – but after all – it’s nice that Anet added ascended even though they missed doing so on launch. Just leave that ball dead now; no point ripping up the old wound.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PP PLS:

Your vastly over estimating the boost you get from ascended armor the armor bonus is 4.9-5.1%(depending on armor class) for the full set and if you wearing all zerk the dps bonus would be about 1.5%.

I cannot see ascneded as gear without trinkets or weapons.

If people are raging about ascended armor to go, you should remove ascended as a tier, not just the armor. Understand this.

Else you’ll alow 5% dmage increase from weapons but no corresponding armor increase.

And I am -against- removing ascneded as a tier and I am -against- removing the timegate.
As removing the timegate would allow any person with no experience just to hop in ascneded armor by just paying money instead of playing the game.
Once again creating the porblem of no mat sink / time sink for your characters and again removing a sense of progression and accomplishment.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Totally. What I don’t think is fair is that I have to start at level 1 and am forced to level to 80. I mean, it just isn’t fair that someone who has played the game for longer gets to be a higher level than I am and have more stats and traits. I should be able to make a character that starts out at level 80..

While I know this was a jest(and off-topic), but I do actually think GW2 would do better without levels and that leveling is actually redundant. Most content you do in PVE@80 is scaled and usually not even in level 80 zones, both WvW and sPvP are scaled, and dungeons are scaled with a minimum level. So you have a leveling system, but everything scales, which makes levels meaningless.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Ascended gear is powerful enough to make people want it without being so powerful as to be mandatory.

It takes a long time to craft in order to incentivize players to log in every day while crafting it.

It was annoying when they added it because it disrupted the status quo (the “best” was made “not the best”). As long as they don’t add an additional tier at this point, I don’t have any problems with it now.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I have a better idea, lets just do away with it all. Everything should have the same stats as a level 1 item. That way everyone can be a special little cup cake with no effort at all.

Then we can watch people leave the game because its too “hard”, there’s no “end game”, what ever other reason people want to throw in.

The problem is these days we don’t really have to wait for much. Want to watch/listen/play something? Chances are you can download it. That way we don’t have to wait till we can get to the shop next. Don’t know the answer to a question, Google it. We no longer have to wait to see someone who might know, or go to a thing called a library to look in books for the answer. Modern life has destroyed the need for patients.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If you want you can do any and all content in green gear up to fractal lvl 9, then it starts getting a problem, only in fractals…

If you want to run Bl’s or EotM in greens be my guest. if you stay alive long enough to build decent stacks: I ’d say: good gaming.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

This QQ thread is about 2.5 years late and was to be expected when Ascended gear got announced way back – but after all – it’s nice that Anet added ascended even though they missed doing so on launch. Just leave that ball dead now; no point ripping up the old wound.

Nah, it’s all good. ‘Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it’, and so on and so forth. Especially considering the changes wrought to the game since launch, which, in retrospect, indicate that the game started out as a dreadful mess, regardless of how well-received it may have been.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Totally. What I don’t think is fair is that I have to start at level 1 and am forced to level to 80. I mean, it just isn’t fair that someone who has played the game for longer gets to be a higher level than I am and have more stats and traits. I should be able to make a character that starts out at level 80..

While I know this was a jest(and off-topic), but I do actually think GW2 would do better without levels and that leveling is actually redundant. Most content you do in PVE@80 is scaled and usually not even in level 80 zones, both WvW and sPvP are scaled, and dungeons are scaled with a minimum level. So you have a leveling system, but everything scales, which makes levels meaningless.

With out levels, there would be alot of empty maps. Levels are there to keep players on other maps. Otherwise what’s the point in having other maps, other city’s? Its all part of the design to keep you playing. At any point during leveling, did you think to your self “I’m almost to my next level, I’ll play for 5 more minutes to get that done”? I know I have. And ended up playing a little.longer than that.because j ended up doing an event chain or what ever. That’s the whole point. Might not work for everyone, but for everyone one it dose, the more populated the game is.the more people play, the more people play the more of a chance there is that they’ll buy gems.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

How about a compromise? Have the devs make it so that one of the game modes (preferably one that is based on player versus player combat) gear is standardized so people who just bought the game have the same stats as vets. For the other game modes have gear matter since it will give people who want a little progression something to work towards, but dont have it count TOO much or it will be unfair (something between 4 and 6% would work!), and as a bonus have the gear sets good for several years so people dont have to grind a new set every month.

Sound fair?

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Nah. I don’t think the time gating is unfair. Only annoying.

For example, if you wanted to use crafting boosters for the ascended materials, you’ll waste all of the remaining time because you can only craft 1 of each per day.

I much rather change the ‘once a day’ thing into a quota you can accumulate daily for use later .

That way you can accumulate one use of the recipe each day you log in in the game, and use them all together later.

As for the material grind we have to wait and see how those “Map Rewards” work.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Honestly, I think a lot of the ascended complaints would go away if Anet simply eased up on the time gate a bit and ascended weapons / gear were available via other means than crafting and lucky drops.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

lordkrall.7241

Honestly, I think a lot of the ascended complaints would go away if Anet simply eased up on the time gate a bit and ascended weapons / gear were available via other means than crafting and lucky drops.

Why ease up on something that can be completely bypassed already?

And while it might very well make some of the complaints go away it might also bring in new complaints and put us back on square one again: “It is so fast and easy to get the best gear, add something that requires some work!”

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Not once during the time it took me to make both light and medium ascended sets did I ever think ‘Awww poor me, I have to wait a month to craft it…ANet should do something about this.’ There is a cost of time management for this, as this isn’t just something you can buy for a gold from some WvW vendor. It’s supposed to take a while and give you something to do after you’ve done everything else. Stop trying to turn it into something you can craft in an afternoon.

Question is…do you plan on ever doing level 50 fractals? If not, don’t bother. It’s not worth it to anyone who never touches the higher end fractals.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Why ease up on something that can be completely bypassed already?

And while it might very well make some of the complaints go away it might also bring in new complaints and put us back on square one again: “It is so fast and easy to get the best gear, add something that requires some work!”

Not everyone has the gold to just outright buy the materials, nor do they want to whip out their credit card and short cut it. Some people actually choose not to play like that.

Others prefer to craft it, or at least don’t detest crafting it, but the “1 a day ever” is a bit frustrating when they have 2 or more professions leveled that could craft it. They don’t mind “working for it,” but the time gate enforced on those players is completely silly given that they could just take the “simpler route” and not bother “working for it” at all.

By your own statement, their reasons for having the time gating have failed. So what’s the point in maintaining it?

lordkrall.7241

The point in maintaining it is that it makes crafting relevant to the market.
Why would people bother buying the materials on the TP if they could just make all of them by themselves in a day?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

If I had a wishlist for an ascended change, I would:

remove wvw infusions (keep agony though of course)
Make ascended armor base stats the same stats as exotics ecept in fractals.
Put a big/huge MF % and gold drop % stat on ascended armor
when wearing a full ascended set, 10% chance in a crit hit tosummon a lackey for 10 secs that kneels before you and tells you how great you are.

Then people would still want ascended, and it wouldnt give a competitive advantage in other areas. Anyone who would complain at that point would be complaining about losing their competitive edge (like in wvw).

(edited by mulzi.8273)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The point in maintaining it is that it makes crafting relevant to the market.
Why would people bother buying the materials on the TP if they could just make all of them by themselves in a day?

I’m not saying to completely remove the daily gate; however, they could increase the limit from 1 to 3 and it would still maintain their secondary ‘reason’ for the gating, which was to give crafters a consistent high value item to make and sell. However, even that has failed for all of the ascended materials except damask, and damask is only as expensive as it is because its set up is broken.

However, given that their supposed primary reason for implementing ascended was because they wanted BiS armor to take a ‘certain amount of time’ and people can almost completely bypass that, it does tend to make the gating of the materials themselves pretty much pointless.

Posted by: Brokenangel.1389

Brokenangel.1389

Give me a kitten break.

It’s -end game- gear for a reasons. And it’s a MMO.

MMOs are, by definition, a time sink. What, did you expect all the best gear to rain from the sky & armor you in all their glory without some (gasp) effort on your part?

It took me a month of work to get a full ascended set of armor & a week to get full exotic.

Put in the time & effort, quit whining for free stuff.

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

No.

What you are saying is:
“Hey, you know this system that was explicitly put in place to be a time and gold sink for players? Can you make it not a time and gold sink thus negating the point of it?”

No.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I’ve been playing since beta and my only ascended armor set is on my WvW wells necro; one piece I got as a drop. For everything else I use exotics but I do admit I make a ton of gold selling silk and linen to those that must have it. Either way, as in life, if you want the best you had better pay for it. I’m playing for fun and not to be an alpha dog myself.

Oh and thanks for buying all my silk.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Progression is fundamental to RPGs, and MMOs of course by extension. People like to see some level of measurement of time put in. Heck, many single player games follow a leveling/progression system.

I mean, just think if Elder Scrolls or Final Fantasy games had no character progression. I can’t claim they couldn’t somehow make it work where your characters didn’t progress, but I certainly wouldn’t enjoy it. I like working toward making my character stronger and stronger the more I play. Single player games fortunately have a definitive end,whereas MMOs need to be able to keep some kind of progression indefinitely. This is why Ascended armor exists in the first place.

I’ve got 1800+ hrs into this game since early release. I’ve completed every dungeon, done every fractal level, have crafted legendaries, crafted multiple Ascended armor sets, have done every world boss, every jumping puzzle, logged countless hours in PvP and WvW, have 10 level 80 characters (completed the above around the 1400hr mark). People like me have fizzled and are anxiously awaiting HoT so that we can progress.

I know some of the new players have yet to complete all of these things so I understand why they feel Ascended armor is a time sink and it isn’t fair, but honestly, if you play the game regularly, you will achieve all of these things too. They really need to get over this “I want it NOW!” mentality.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

I agree with OP. Ascended gear is such a waste of time. I have a better solution. Please make all basic white coloured gear to have the same stats as Ascended. That way everyone is on a level playing field. While we’re at it, also make it so that every new character created is automatically level 80 with all skills and traits unlocked, because you know, character growth and progression is “such a waste of time”. Finally, please unlock all achievements and complete all storylines (both personal and living world) automatically on character creation and deliver all rewards straight to my account using in-game mail just so playing the game isn’t “such a waste of time”.

I’m sure this would be completely fair to all those who actually “wasted” their time and effort in getting these things.

Thank you ANET.

(edited by Vesuvius.9874)

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Ok I’ll stop being new now and turn myself into a veteran GW2 player. /face palm.
The thing is I don’t have the gold to pay upfront like that. You lose like 100g+ by going that route.

If you do not have thousands of gold (in gold or assets to sell) you are hardly a veteran at this point.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: CookieMonster.5869

CookieMonster.5869

Wow everyone gets so upset. I’m not really worried about this I actually got another chest drop so I have 3 berserker pieces now so I’m seeing how it isn’t a big deal. I mentioned that earlier but someone deleted the post I replied to so my post was deleted too. The only pain is making multiple sets but from what I hear it’s best to just go berserker. Not sure what I’ll do with this healers chest though. And since its account bound I think I’ll just make my second 80 light armor too. Thanks for the feedback but I do see others points now.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Wow everyone gets so upset. I’m not really worried about this I actually got another chest drop so I have 3 berserker pieces now so I’m seeing how it isn’t a big deal. I mentioned that earlier but someone deleted the post I replied to so my post was deleted too. The only pain is making multiple sets but from what I hear it’s best to just go berserker. Not sure what I’ll do with this healers chest though. And since its account bound I think I’ll just make my second 80 light armor too. Thanks for the feedback but I do see others points now.

Please give me your luck >.>

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I mean I just recently started the game and would like to get this gear but it seems like a pain. It’s just not fair that others who have been around since launch have multiple sets. It makes me feel so far behind everyone else

I crafted 6 legendaries since launch. Do you feel it’s unfair and make you feel so far behind everyone else? Do we need to give you some legendary to make you feel better?

The thruth is that ascended wasn’t a really good idea from Anet, but it’s too late to change it, they are stuck. If they leave it as it is people will complain that ascended limit build diversity and is a grind that don’t belong in GW2. If they make ascended and exotic of the same level then people that crafted ascended will feel cheated and will complain. There is no ideal solution here.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Ok I’ll stop being new now and turn myself into a veteran GW2 player. /face palm.
The thing is I don’t have the gold to pay upfront like that. You lose like 100g+ by going that route.

If you do not have thousands of gold (in gold or assets to sell) you are hardly a veteran at this point.

lolwut. I’ve played since head start, but I definitely don’t have “thousands of gold” (even if I combine my assets and my gold on both of my accounts). Unless we’re counting the account bound and soulbound items I’ve made over the past couple of years (which can’t be sold for a profit).

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

Oh look this thread again, must be a slow week. Usual points,
-You don’t have to it’s not required except for high level fractals which it was designed for (WvW isent meant to be balanced for 1v1 combat rendering that counter argument moot and any large scale fights would have a mix on both sides.)

-It’s not like Wow at all, a treadmill is where more and more higher tiers are added which keeps reducing your relative progress, no more gear tiers are being added the last tier just takes a bit longer to get too.

-A game for casual gamers means they can play and still generally make meaningful progress, it does not by any means imply that you have access to every item that you want some items should be out of your reach, maybe that’s ascended for some people.

lolwut. I’ve played since head start, but I definitely don’t have “thousands of gold” (even if I combine my assets and my gold on both of my accounts). Unless we’re counting the account bound and soulbound items I’ve made over the past couple of years (which can’t be sold for a profit).

If you’re talking about your account value it combines everything you’ve got unlocked on your account. (I.E legendary 4k gold , Sab skins 1k gold , Dungeon skins 2g a pop, exotic hunter collection skins 600g , etc etc) In which case you’d easily have more that 10k golds worth of skins.

If you mean liquid assets are you sure you don’t have 1k g on hand? don’t forget your collections tab I.E I’ve 600 ectos , 50 charged cores, 11 charged loadstones and about 700 T6 mats , and other assorted stuff , just sitting in my collections all from drops, they really do add up. Not to mention about 100 random exotics which could be salvaged.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

If you mean liquid assets are you sure you don’t have 1k g on hand? don’t forget your collections tab I.E I’ve 600 ectos , 50 charged cores, 11 charged loadstones and about 700 T6 mats , and other assorted stuff , just sitting in my collections all from drops, they really do add up. Not to mention about 100 random exotics which could be salvaged.

I was under the impression the person I quoted was talking about liquid assets, not overall account value. And no, I definitely don’t have over 1kg on gold and assets because I tend to sell them once I get over a certain amount (that amount depends on the tier of the mats); unless I’m actively saving t6 for a weapon, upgrade, or a legendary, I sell them as I get them. I also don’t usually hold onto exotics (I either immediately forge, salvage, or sell). I also sell charged cores and lodestones (and onyx) when I get them because I don’t plan to use them. So yeah. Some players will tend to hold onto a lot of things, resulting in a huge goldmine to fall back on. But I just don’t save up that way (largely because I am too cheap to deal with buying the collection expanders or anymore inventory or bank space).

My only point here is that a player can be a veteran without having tons and tons of potential gold at any given time.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Does anyone else think it is totally not fair that we have to grind this time gated gear out? It’s just not fair that others who have been around since launch have multiple sets. It makes me feel so far behind everyone else. I heard that stat difference isn’t much but 5% seems like a lot to me. I’d suggest to up exotic gear to the same as ascended so we don’t have this problem.

Top kek.

You don’t honestly expect to invalidate the work of all the players who made that same grind just so you don’t have to, right?

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

My only point here is that a player can be a veteran without having tons and tons of potential gold at any given time.

That’s true no argument here. I was just mentioning in-case you didn’t realize how much gold you could have stashed away and not have noticed. (In fairness the only reason I haven’t sold all that stuff is to be ready when HOT hits).

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I don’t blame ArenaNet. I blame people who want to play video games like a full time job. Nothing short of long grinds will satisfy them, and so developers cave.

You just have to decide.

1. Is Ascended worth it?
2. If not, does it bug you enough that I don’t want to play the game.

I landed on getting ascended jewelry and weapon on all my characters, and being satisfied with exotic armor. That suits my middle of the road (not uber casual, not hardcore) play style. Until another, shinier MMORPG comes along, I’m pretty much content there.

Posted by: CookieMonster.5869

CookieMonster.5869

Thanks all you have persuaded me. I think I’ll just grind out like 120 more gold and finish my set. Sorry I had an entitled moment.

Posted by: Jay.1085

Jay.1085

NOW NOW NOW NOW. I WANT MY TOY NOW.

Seriously, this generation…

Seriously. I know right? These influx of new players complaining on the forums about time gating or the ridiculous amount of mats for crafting ascended/legendary is surreal. Its END GAME GEAR! If I took the time to make it so shall you. Stop being entitled brats.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

well unless you wuvwuv or do fractals ascened is not needed tbh

[WM]give us in game ladder