The (In)justice of Ascended

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CookieMonster.5869

CookieMonster.5869

NOW NOW NOW NOW. I WANT MY TOY NOW.

Seriously, this generation…

Seriously. I know right? These influx of new players complaining on the forums about time gating or the ridiculous amount of mats for crafting ascended/legendary is surreal. Its END GAME GEAR! If I took the time to make it so shall you. Stop being entitled brats.

You should have read post above you’re post. GG

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I find it incredibly tedious to craft ascended gear and wish it were a more interesting activity. But it’s not difficult, plus I can play anything in the game without it.

The OP presumes that it’s required; it’s not. The OP presumes that you have to suffer the time gate; also not true (you can pay extra to acquire the necessary mats, except charged quartz, which is a different matter).

tl;dr gearing with ascended might be boring and crazy expensive; fortunately, it’s not required for 99% of the community.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Carmello Yello.4875

Carmello Yello.4875

Stop with these posts please. Ascended should be hard work otherwise the gear isn’t cool. I like it being a pain to get the gear. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment whenever I complete a piece of a set. You can stay and play the exotic game if you want and no one else would know the difference.

Let us enjoy the carrot on the stick. I want pink letters on all my gear. Why?! Not the minor stats. Rather it is something nice to be continually working on.

CookieMonster.5869

I already said sorry and I have been persuaded. My entitlement moment is over now so sorry… ; ;

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Cookie, maybe editing your original post to say that you’ve changed your mind would help.

CookieMonster.5869

Cookie, maybe editing your original post to say that you’ve changed your mind would help.

Good idea I edited it

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I already said sorry and I have been persuaded. My entitlement moment is over now so sorry… ; ;

That’s too bad. You made good points.

As for the “entitlement” thing. People have been using that term to belittle other peoples opinions ever since ME3 came out. It was a senseless thing then and it’s a senseless thing now. You are entitled :P to your opinion. You are entitled to not want to grind for gear.

It’s just not the way this game is set up. Wishing it were different doesn’t make you entitled. If you ask me it makes you smart.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Should be other ways to get ascended. Not just crafting. (Surefire ways, not RNG)

Posted by: PyroRobby.1987

PyroRobby.1987

Seriously. I know right? These influx of new players complaining on the forums about time gating or the ridiculous amount of mats for crafting ascended/legendary is surreal. Its END GAME GEAR! If I took the time to make it so shall you. Stop being entitled brats.

You should have read post above you’re post. GG

ya ya, we complained …

It is just shocking to be hit with when you are new/returning and to realize the gating. I wouldn’t call it “End game” gear though, it is just slightly better. I can see though how it fits in. I just don’t like the term involving “End”. Maybe gear that requires a Level Of Effort and shows the player has time in the game. Gear that shows the player has reached a higher level of achievement due to level of effort. Maybe call it Ascension gear, as the player as reached new heights from time put into game play.

When new players get into a game and play against veteran players that have all the best stuff, in some games that “Best stuff” is a great advantage and makes the new player experience really rough in PVP and somewhat unwanted in PVE because of gear disparity. However here, disparity isn’t so vastly different that you are really at that extreme a disadvantage. So where it is shocking being somewhat new and looking at the mat list for the slight upgrade, it is reasonable to make something special for players that have done it day after day for a long time and just happen to have a ton of mats in their inventory. I mean, play for years and there be nothing new, nothing special that makes it fun everyday you login. No, this game is providing something special for those that put in the time.

When I return to other games I have played for 10 years and have things no longer in game, I enjoy that. When I have stuff that took a long time to get, it feels rewarding to have them. The memory of it all is a value.

It is a setback to realize I cannot just make the ascended gear after 6 weeks of game play; but I realize that if I continue to play, the mats will pile up over time and the move to ascension is something to look forward to in time. Then what after I get full ascension. New skins, new xpac, new something … or not. There being a gate to ascension seems justified in that perspective, just shocking at first to realize what is involved.

Thinking it all over though it makes sense now. Not that much difference stat wise; but slightly better and very hard to get, unless you have been playing for a while and have an overflow of the mats in your inventory.

(edited by PyroRobby.1987)

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Since the OPs topic has ran its course, time to continue to go off topic.

With out levels, there would be alot of empty maps. Levels are there to keep players on other maps. Otherwise what’s the point in having other maps, other city’s? Its all part of the design to keep you playing. At any point during leveling, did you think to your self “I’m almost to my next level, I’ll play for 5 more minutes to get that done”? I know I have. And ended up playing a little.longer than that.because j ended up doing an event chain or what ever. That’s the whole point. Might not work for everyone, but for everyone one it dose, the more populated the game is.the more people play, the more people play the more of a chance there is that they’ll buy gems.

Maps would need to be reworked to compensate, but really map usage isn’t just by leveling characters, if you ever look you will see that most in lower level maps are actually just downscaled. It may also actually increase map usage since there is no defined level, where people will feel they progressed passed it. Switching the NPE to PS and then having each zone function like SW, where its a individual story and a overall buildup/downfall style storyline would be best. It gives some purpose to older maps and could be modified with LS or Expansions releases to keep things fresh without having to worry about how it affects leveling.

I can understand the idea of time vested into leveling, but with a game like GW2 that has pretty much every way to speed up leveling, means that investment isn’t really important. It just seems to me that leveling is more of a hindrance than anything else, considering the lack of endgame, means you will be going back and redoing “leveled” zones regardless.

It just seems odd that Anet isn’t a fan of linear progression, yet the game is still based off of it, just without the main aspect of linear progression, which is endgame.

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

I’m not against working towards a goal but ascended weapons and armor were implemented in the wrong way. They should have been introduced in brand new elite content like raids or elite dungeons along with the time gated crafting for those that didn’t want to or couldn’t complete high level content. I guess for Anet fractals fit the bill but the RNG is brutal and not to mention it still is time gated with the daily.

(edited by Dromar.1027)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m not against working towards a goal but ascended weapons and armor were implemented in the wrong way. They should have been introduced in brand new elite content like raids or elite dungeons along with the time gated crafting for those that didn’t want to or couldn’t complete high level content. I guess for Anet fractals fit the bill but the RNG is brutal and not to mention it still is time gated with the daily.

Except this is exactly what the game was not supposed to be.

GW2 wasn’t about locking gear behind high level content, per se. It wasn’t about “getting ready to play” which is exactly what you’re talking about.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Dralor.3701

Dralor.3701

Does anyone have fun making ascended or getting locked into one stat combination at such a high cost? Just seems like the whole implementation of end game gear could have been handled a lot better and I think the game took a big quality of life hit with this particular grind.

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Ascended gear is something you earn, you can’t just buy it, like legendary weapons. I got my crafting skills to 500, I farmed the materials and gold to make them. Sense the start of Ascended crafting, I am just about to complete my first full set light Ascended armor. It’s not easy but, it’s one of the few long term goals there is in the game.

Too those who think Ascended gear is unfair, go earn them, that’s what everyone else did! Any changes to Ascended gear will make completing long term goals or earning things in the game just meaningless.

Anet has already given in to the crybabies too many times, your earn something special and then they then make it available to everyone (AKA crystal nodes).

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ascended gear is something you earn, you can’t just buy it

You can’t just buy it….except you really just can. With the exception of 2 components.

You can buy everything you need to level to 500 in the crafting. In a matter of hours.
You can buy all of the materials for the final armor. Hell you don’t even have to craft the components if you don’t want.

The only things you can’t buy are laurels for the patterns and vision crystals for the final crafting stage. Laurels only require you to log in, and the materials for vision crystals drop like rain (now). Not really any “earning” going on there.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Except maybe you do NEED your crafting skills at 500… to make the armor and weapons in the end…

You can buy almost anything in thei game, I saw ppl with 300 AP with a legendary on a lvl 47….

Just consider why some things must be gated.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Good idea I edited it

You can also report your op and ask a mod to close the topic.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

IM GOING TO SPEND ALL THIS MONEY I DONT HAVE TO kitten THE NEXT GENERATION’S ECONOMY FOR DECADES. OH AND THEN IM GOING TO BLAME THEM FOR NOT BEING SUCCESSFUL IN THE MESS I WROUGHT.

Seriously, last generation…

(edited by Sorin.4310)

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

New:
I’ve come to the conclusion that ascended is Just. Sorry I did feel a bit entitled. After hearing all the points, even though some were rude, I decided that it is fair and a good longer term goal. Thanks all who were civil in their responses. Anet please do not change ascended gear it should stay as it is. Thanks

Well nice that you chimed in on it and all, joined the discussion, but aren’t you two years late? Anet wanted it no matter what, it’s in, it’s done, sort of a waste to discuss it any further than to just annoy people who still don’t like the results of the addition of it to the game.

And all those people that were so-so or didn’t want it at all long since left the game so really not so many people around to rekindle the debates with over it. They wont change it one way or another, and it won’t bring anyone back to their game at this point if they did.

CookieMonster.5869

I was under the impression this was the OP’s secondary account. Perhaps, I am confused by the post history.

As to the question, no, I don’t think it is unfair.

Marking the thread be closed. Thanks for the discussion it was an interesting social experiment.