The Legendary Journey (sanity check)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

So I spent a lot of time running about doing the legendary journey which was kind of fun for the most part, it’s not covered anywhere I searched so thought I’d just ask here.

The Legend – obviously isn’t bifrost to my shock and horror when building it, it’s only ‘part’ The Biforst, so am I correct in assuming that the only way to obtain said bifrost is to obtain ‘Gifts’ ?

Normally I wouldn’t care it’d just be another collection of stuff, except one of those gifts involves PvP which I point blank refuse to engage in, unless it’s snow ball fight then fine so am I better off just saving gold and buying off the TP?

If that’s the case I’m a little sad at the effort and gold I put into get the legend as I need not have bothered.

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Shards of Glory can be purchased off of the Trading Post. So can the Memories of Battle which requires WvW to generate them. No need to PvP.

Posted by: Excelvior.8520

Excelvior.8520

Sadly you will need the gift of Battle to complete a gift for Bifrost, which means you will have to spend 6-10 hours (with buffs) on WvW. Try to think positive, you may actually like it.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Which gift are you referring to?

The only one which vaguely matches your description is the Gift of Battle… which is obtained from WvW not PvP.

It’s easy enough to obtain… select the appropriate WvW reward track, find a WvW commander and join his/her zerg. Best time is immediately after the weekly match reset… there’s the most activity then. It is a time based reward, so you’ll have to do stuff to increase and maintain your participation. It takes 8+ hours to complete the track, but this can be sped up a lot with guild and experience boosters, and WvW daily reward potions. It sounds like a lot, but relative to all the other things you need to do to craft The Legend, it’s actually a medium level of effort.

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

aerial.7021

Shards of Glory can be purchased off of the Trading Post. So can the Memories of Battle which requires WvW to generate them. No need to PvP.

Ahh, well that good news.. is there some sort of website that has a little of required materials? the guild wars 2 wiki isn’t very useful, as it doesn’t at least from my reviewing mention Shards of Glory or Memories of Battle, in Bifrosts’ construction.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Wiki gives a list of every material. It breaks each gift down into a handy reference chart for ease of comparison.

You do not require Memories of Battle or Shards of GLory since they are for the newer legendaries and Bifrost is a Legendary that existed before those materials were ever in the game.
(You may need them in the Precursor Collection crafting for the Legend, but if you have that, you wont need the above mentioned currencies.)

The Gift of Battle is the only non-pve item you require for Bifrost.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

I don’t understand people who don’t look up all the requirements for building a legendary before hand

onevstheworld.2419

Ahh, well that good news.. is there some sort of website that has a little of required materials? the guild wars 2 wiki isn’t very useful, as it doesn’t at least from my reviewing mention Shards of Glory or Memories of Battle, in Bifrosts’ construction.

Oh… from your post, I had assumed you had already finished The Legend and were about to craft Bifrost. If you’re just about to craft The Experimental Staff… be aware that that step is the easiest and cheapest one. It gets exponentially harder and more expensive from there.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/29180-The-Legend
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/29180-The-Legend
Those are just for The Legend… getting to Bifrost will add even more cost.

aerial.7021

Wiki gives a list of every material. It breaks each gift down into a handy reference chart for ease of comparison.

You do not require Memories of Battle or Shards of GLory since they are for the newer legendaries and Bifrost is a Legendary that existed before those materials were ever in the game.
(You may need them in the Precursor Collection crafting for the Legend, but if you have that, you wont need the above mentioned currencies.)

Oh well good thing I didn’t spend coin on those then, so in other words must pvp to get ‘The Gift of Battle’ to get bifrost ? or am I misunderstanding something.

I don’t understand people who don’t look up all the requirements for building a legendary before hand

I did, my brain tends to go to goo when presents to with laundry lists longer than country mile, hence why I choose to the legendary journey because it was broken up into manageable volumes that I could tick off.

aerial.7021

Oh… from your post, I had assumed you had already finished The Legend and were about to craft Bifrost. If you’re just about to craft The Experimental Staff… be aware that that step is the easiest and cheapest one. It gets exponentially harder and more expensive from there.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/29180-The-Legend
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/29180-The-Legend

kind of; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Legend I have that bit only currently, obtained by the journey method.

Posted by: loat.8601

loat.8601

Oh well good thing I didn’t spend coin on those then, so in other words must pvp to get ‘The Gift of Battle’ to get bifrost ? or am I misunderstanding something.

You can obtain the gift of battle without ever fighting another player. Every day in WvW there will be at least one daily achievement that only requires killing npcs, and gives at least one potion of WvW rewards. Get 80 of these, activate the gift of battle reward track, then consume them all.

onevstheworld.2419

You must WvW not PvP. There’s a difference because WvW is more determined by the quality of the zerg you join, not your individual PvP skill. Just have a ranged weapon handy, because if you’re not used to it, zerg v zerg melee is suicidal.

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

aerial.7021

You must WvW not PvP.

I see, you all are going to disagree but I personally classify WvW as equal to PvP because you can PK another player thus it’s PvP. :/

onevstheworld.2419

You must WvW not PvP.

I see, you all are going to disagree but I personally classify WvW as equal to PvP because you can PK another player thus it’s PvP. :/

You do need to make the distinction… both are PK game modes, both have reward tracks. But only WvW has the reward track that awards you the Gift of Battle. You don’t want to play an entire PvP reward track only to find that it doesn’t give you the Gift you’re after… do you?

aerial.7021

You must WvW not PvP. There’s a difference because WvW is more determined by the quality of the zerg you join, not your individual PvP skill. Just have a ranged weapon handy, because if you’re not used to it, zerg v zerg melee is suicidal.

lol, well I might give it a go I don’t quite have enough clovers 42 of 77 required according to gw2efficiency.com (nice site by the way) lovely little tree view.

I presume once you have 4 of the items you flush them down the mystic toilet and get the expected parts from the ingredients list, or do you discover them in crafting ?

onevstheworld.2419

If you haven’t made the Gift of Bifrost, you’ll have to do some crafting for its components. Otherwise, it’s toilet flushing all the way from here :p

Posted by: electricwater.1572

electricwater.1572

So I spent a lot of time running about doing the legendary journey which was kind of fun for the most part, it’s not covered anywhere I searched so thought I’d just ask here.

The Legend – obviously isn’t bifrost to my shock and horror when building it, it’s only ‘part’ The Biforst, so am I correct in assuming that the only way to obtain said bifrost is to obtain ‘Gifts’ ?

Normally I wouldn’t care it’d just be another collection of stuff, except one of those gifts involves PvP which I point blank refuse to engage in, unless it’s snow ball fight then fine so am I better off just saving gold and buying off the TP?

If that’s the case I’m a little sad at the effort and gold I put into get the legend as I need not have bothered.

I craft legendaries regularly, so I’ll break it down for you.

Crafting precursor The Legend will cost you approximately 794 gold at the moment. After you have that, you’ll need another 1k (again approximately) to turn it into Bifrost. That’s assuming you don’t have the required mats already. If you don’t think you can handle such costs, then don’t even start.

Wiki lists everything you need, so follow it.

You don’t have to pvp, but you will need to spend 8-10 hours in WvW for the gift of battle, you get if from the reward track. WvW is quite easy, just follow the commander and tag someone once in a while, that’s it.

You will also need Gift of Exploration, so you’ll need to finish all vanilla core version maps. That’s quite lengthy and boring, but doable and not hard.

You will also need artificer 400 and chef 400 for this legendary. If you don’t have those trained yet, you will also need additional gold to get to 400.

Getting mystic clovers is a gamble. There are 2 recipes: for 1 mystic clover or 10 at a time. But it is always a 1/3 chance (in my own experience even lower), you can also drop other materials from throwing these 4 ingredients into mf. So better stock up on ecto, mystic coins and obsidian shards.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Clover

You will also need to do Arah dungeon a few times to get 500 tokens to buy Gift of Zhaitan that you use in Gift of Color.

For the rest, follow wiki lists for materials you’ll need.

Making a legendary is not supposed to be easy and it’s supposed to cost people time and gold, so think whether it’s worth it or not for you GL

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

200 Memories of Battle and 200 Shards of Glory are required to craft the first tier “The Legend Experiment”.

100 for the Experimental Staff Shaft and 100 for the Experimental Staff Head

… but that is nothing compared to the 10 elonian leather squares and 35 spirit wood planks

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I believe they already stated twice that they have the precursor.

Op, the gift of battle requires activiting the gift of battle reward track in the wvw game mode. You then need to advance tbat fully, either through dailies or wvw activities. Wvw is a form of pvp, but you cannot obtain the gift via the normal pvp mode

aerial.7021

Crafting precursor The Legend will cost you approximately 794 gold at the moment. After you have that, you’ll need another 1k (again approximately) to turn it into Bifrost. That’s assuming you don’t have the required mats already. If you don’t think you can handle such costs, then don’t even start.

You don’t have to pvp, but you will need to spend 8-10 hours in WvW for the gift of battle, you get if from the reward track. WvW is quite easy, just follow the commander and tag someone once in a while, that’s it.

You will also need Gift of Exploration, so you’ll need to finish all vanilla core version maps. That’s quite lengthy and boring, but doable and not hard.

You will also need artificer 400 and chef 400 for this legendary. If you don’t have those trained yet, you will also need additional gold to get to 400.

Getting mystic clovers is a gamble. There are 2 recipes: for 1 mystic clover or 10 at a time. But it is always a 1/3 chance (in my own experience even lower), you can also drop other materials from throwing these 4 ingredients into mf. So better stock up on ecto, mystic coins and obsidian shards.

You will also need to do Arah dungeon a few times to get 500 tokens to buy Gift of Zhaitan that you use in Gift of Color.

Making a legendary is not supposed to be easy and it’s supposed to cost people time and gold, so think whether it’s worth it or not for you GL

Gift of Exploration got 8 of those and room 4 more with either 3 existing map uncomplete characters or make a new, but I think I am set with that

Cost doesn’t bother me, I tend to chip away at things over time little bit here little bit there it’s taken me 2.3 years to make my first “The Legend” and that was only due to the new system they put in which made it kind of fun to go after such a thing.

WvW as I expected a few seconds ago when I jumped into it, instantly killed by some roaming player. For some reason my server (shard, thing) is always on the losing side, guess I can live with it by just harassing stuff, so should you trip over Aerial in the wild don’t expect her to fight back too much, she’ll just take the beating and go off to some other area to get points, sorry but I find it hilariously funny watching you button mash away furiously like you life depends on it expecting a reaction and none given. lmao. might be just time zone I guess but I don’t see any commander’s doing anything on my side either so yeah.

Crafting I’ve maxed pretty much all of them out already apart from huntsman but thanks for the reminder on that.

Thanks for your advice, I’ll chip away at it likely over time. see you in 4.6 years lol

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

For Gift of Battle you can also get through it very slowly by just doing the dailies.

Land claimer, veteran creature slayer, master of monuments, mist guard killer and of course big spender. That will probably take around a year.

There is also Edge of the Mists which is WvW but not really most of the time.

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Gift of Exploration got 8 of those and room 4 more with either 3 existing map uncomplete characters or make a new, but I think I am set with that

Cost doesn’t bother me, I tend to chip away at things over time little bit here little bit there it’s taken me 2.3 years to make my first “The Legend” and that was only due to the new system they put in which made it kind of fun to go after such a thing.

WvW as I expected a few seconds ago when I jumped into it, instantly killed by some roaming player. For some reason my server (shard, thing) is always on the losing side, guess I can live with it by just harassing stuff, so should you trip over Aerial in the wild don’t expect her to fight back too much, she’ll just take the beating and go off to some other area to get points, sorry but I find it hilariously funny watching you button mash away furiously like you life depends on it expecting a reaction and none given. lmao. might be just time zone I guess but I don’t see any commander’s doing anything on my side either so yeah.

Crafting I’ve maxed pretty much all of them out already apart from huntsman but thanks for the reminder on that.

Thanks for your advice, I’ll chip away at it likely over time. see you in 4.6 years lol

When in WvW, use /team chat and ask if there are any groups roaming around. Check all 3 borderlands as well as the eternal battlegrounds for commander tags.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

For Gift of Battle you can also get through it very slowly by just doing the dailies.

Land claimer, veteran creature slayer, master of monuments, mist guard killer and of course big spender. That will probably take around a year.

Each potion gives 250 points of reward track progress. The whole track requires 20000 points. So, you need at most 80 potions. There’s always at least one easy daily, sometimes more.

No, you wouldn’t need a year. Not even close.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Honestly someone who can’t competently complete a reward track isn’t very legendary deserving.

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

Dude, you should try to make one of the first new legendaries that came with HoT – real sanity check.

aerial.7021

Each potion gives 250 points of reward track progress. The whole track requires 20000 points. So, you need at most 80 potions. There’s always at least one easy daily, sometimes more.

No, you wouldn’t need a year. Not even close.

Well I got the first tiny chunk done 1-5, so I’m guessing with a little effort I’ll get that done, it is kind of fun I suppose.. I’m just waiting for the abuse “why you not fight back”, no one’s done it yet. or that funny moment when I meet someone else doing the same thing, and we just stare at each other doing nothing. lol

aerial.7021

Honestly someone who can’t competently complete a reward track isn’t very legendary deserving.

It’s going a little OT, but okay.. I’m fine with things like snowball fights etc. because the playing field is balanced totally you cannot bring anything new and custom so I lose or win based on my efforts, conversely PvP where you can bring whatever you like I hate because it’s basically a toss up who wins, of course they say the balance patch etc. skills but really it couldn’t be further from the truth if they tried from my point of view, it’s all a random numbers game from internet connection to skill button press & and which ones you brought, so snowball fights are fun at least there is some modicum of ‘actual’ skill, not that I’m any good at that either but still I’m happier with that.

Actually that could be a whole new game type (if it doesn’t already exist) you get a build that day/week that’s all you can use in PvP for that class next week changes, no need to upgrade anything everything is preset, just click play.

(edited by aerial.7021)

Posted by: Riku.4821

Riku.4821

Someone else posted the link above, but just to put the last nail in I’ll post them again for credibility?
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/30698-The-Bifrost
This link, and website itself is great for crafting and other needs.
It breaks down the Check list you need to keep track of(and will even tell you which supplies you already own and re adjust the list and cost of the weapon if you select that option at the top).
It’ll also break down the steps one by one until the final step of getting the legendary. Tells you what items are once a day crafts, how many you need, how many days it will take, and above all, which items you can buy or not.

Enjoy the crafting, and the time gate. It’s a blessing in disguise honestly.

Guild Leader of Lunar Tree[LT].
Officer of Power Overwhelming[ZERK].
First term Forum PvE Specialist.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

@OP

You can do the WvW reward track without fighting a single player, just by capping Sentries, Flipping Supply Camps, Killing Dolyaks, Running Dolyaks into bases, repair Walls, claiming Shrines, on top of the Daily WvW reward potions. It takes about 10-20mins to max participation this way.

And if you have boosters and keep your participation up at 195 you will have it done in 4.3 hours without fighting a single player.

The intent of Legendaries is to play along a Gamemodes, just be happy they removed WvW map completion from the Gift of Exploration.

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Well I got the first tiny chunk done 1-5, so I’m guessing with a little effort I’ll get that done, it is kind of fun I suppose.. I’m just waiting for the abuse “why you not fight back”, no one’s done it yet. or that funny moment when I meet someone else doing the same thing, and we just stare at each other doing nothing. lol

No asking to ‘abuse’ you, but why don’t you run? I get if you don’t want to fight another player, I usually don’t, but depending on class mobility you could get away from them to avoid dying

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

I really don’t like WvW, yet I’ve obtained 4 Gifts of Battle in the past few months, just by doing dailies that don’t require killing other players or a group to complete. And on rare occasions I join a (small) zerg I come across and tag along for a while. I also use boosters that increase reward track progress. I don’t particularly enjoy this process but I don’t hate it either. Bottom line, I do want a fair share of the legendaries (about 14 or 15, from the top of my head) and personally, after giving it a go, I find this effort worth it for the reward you eventually get. In fact, I only started working towards legendaries after the precursor collections were added to the game, since I didn’t like the ways we could obtain them before. Random drops are too rare (I got my first one since launch only recently) and you have no control over what you get (of course the one I got was for a legendary I do not want). And saving up gold for all those precursors isn’t worth it, considering all the other things I want to spend my gold on. Precursor collections finally gave me a satisfactory way to obtain them.

aerial.7021

@OP

You can do the WvW reward track without fighting a single player, just by capping Sentries, Flipping Supply Camps, Killing Dolyaks, Running Dolyaks into bases, repair Walls, claiming Shrines, on top of the Daily WvW reward potions. It takes about 10-20mins to max participation this way.

And if you have boosters and keep your participation up at 195 you will have it done in 4.3 hours without fighting a single player.

The intent of Legendaries is to play along a Gamemodes, just be happy they removed WvW map completion from the Gift of Exploration.

Yeah that’s how I got 8 of those gift of exploration, sometimes I get them just for the fun of it.

I love how you describe WvW though, it’s as if you’ve completely deleted the very concept that an enemy even exists on the map anywhere, while you’re busy running about doing all that do you really think the other teams are going to be all ‘ok’ with that, of course not they are going to send someone to take care of you and your efforts, my guild last night was doing missions for some reason or another I couldn’t tag along but I found them and ran spy missions.

aerial.7021

No asking to ‘abuse’ you, but why don’t you run? I get if you don’t want to fight another player, I usually don’t, but depending on class mobility you could get away from them to avoid dying

Oh of course I try running, sometimes I just can’t be bothered.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

@OP

Yeah that’s how I got 8 of those gift of exploration, sometimes I get them just for the fun of it.

I love how you describe WvW though, it’s as if you’ve completely deleted the very concept that an enemy even exists on the map anywhere, while you’re busy running about doing all that do you really think the other teams are going to be all ‘ok’ with that, of course not they are going to send someone to take care of you and your efforts, my guild last night was doing missions for some reason or another I couldn’t tag along but I found them and ran spy missions.

Seeing how I know from first hand experience if you want to avoid the enemy it’s easy. You are just making excuses to complain about it, I am in T1 the most highly populated matchups and when all I want to do is scout/flip camps/run yaks and not run into players it’s easy. Especially if you do it on the Dessert BL no one goes there unless you assault one of the Keeps leaving everything else for easy taking.

At least you have the easier end of the stick and only need to spend 4-8hrs in WvW for one gift vs the 20+ needed for PvE that WvW/PvP players have to slog through to make one.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

@OP

I don’t like WvW at all.

Yet I went in and did it twice to get map completion done on two characters before they removed WvW maps from getting 100% map completion.

Short of the few times I happened to be needing something my side was trying to take, I never had many issues getting what I needed. There were a couple of times while trying to get the Centaur skill point where enemies I had not tried to attack would come attack me while I was communing, but it is WvW. For all they knew I was going to turn and attack them as soon as I got the skill point.

It’s very easy to avoid players if you really try for it.

aerial.7021

@OP

Seeing how I know from first hand experience if you want to avoid the enemy it’s easy. You are just making excuses to complain about it, I am in T1 the most highly populated matchups and when all I want to do is scout/flip camps/run yaks and not run into players it’s easy. Especially if you do it on the Dessert BL no one goes there unless you assault one of the Keeps leaving everything else for easy taking.

At least you have the easier end of the stick and only need to spend 4-8hrs in WvW for one gift vs the 20+ needed for PvE that WvW/PvP players have to slog through to make one.

I wouldn’t call it excuses just personal preferences, but yeah it could be worse for instants having to map WvW I did a little dance in my room the day they removed that from WvW, as for PvP players well you can just slog it out because I don’t care about you insane lot if it’s fare, you know if either group doesn’t care about the other.

aerial.7021

Actually I’ve discovered I don’t need to do much of anything just stand there and it gives you points. lol

Posted by: Revilrad.1962

Revilrad.1962

Actually I’ve discovered I don’t need to do much of anything just stand there and it gives you points. lol

You can steamroll WvW and watch a whole season of supernatural as you do it to earn rewards.

Thank god they dont hide Leg weapons behind content like Raids.

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

I wish i could just afk through the pve parts to make legendary weapons and armor. Pvers sure get it easy.

aerial.7021

I wish i could just afk through the pve parts to make legendary weapons and armor. Pvers sure get it easy.

Well just to point out, I don’t actually afk I find something to do.

Just got the gift of battle.. wasn’t as bad I thought, enjoyed using the large robot from time to time.

(edited by aerial.7021)