The MMO with no training wheels.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

It seems MMO gamers have become so used to the game telling us what to do, that when we get a game with no “training wheels”, many players are lost as to what they are actually meant to do in the game.

For years now we have become so trained to follow quest lines from zone to zone, and in some cases “complain” of leveling gaps in our game of choice, simply because we couldn’t find the next quest. This model of MMO design worked for years, but has become SO predictable and linear, you really do feel like you are on a single path behind all the other people going through the game in single file.

Now we have Guild Wars 2, a game without direction. Yes we have the Hearts, Vistas and points of interest. But these are just “pointers”, to help people begin to explore. They are NOT quest hubs, and they are NOT the path through the game. This game is about exploring, and making your own path. It really is up to the player, to direct their own experience.

If you like to explore and see whats around the next corner, interacting with random NPC’s , listening the their stories, helping with tasks and joining events, that are all completely optional, this game is a joy to play.

If you like to follow quest lines all the way to max level, and see max level as the “goal”, then this simply is not the game for you.

This game is about exploring and playing in the world ArenaNet has created, it was never about rushing to max level so you could do " end content". The entire game IS the content.

Thank you ArenaNet for giving us this jewel. Finally

Posted by: Payne.5062

Payne.5062

I may have exactly the opposite problem. I love this game so much that i don’t wanna level up. I completed everything in my town and now im completing other race’s main town’s instead of going to harder areas.

If there where no training wheels i’d be just killing mobs.

Posted by: Wazabi.1439

Wazabi.1439

play how you want to play. Loving it.

Diva.4706

> Payne

That is the great thing, you are choosing your own path !

Posted by: Kesare.2041

Kesare.2041

I agree completely, it’s refreshing to have a game that just lets you do your thing. I have my main at 80 and I didn’t rush I kinda levelled accidentally by having the most fun I have had in an MMO in years.
I run around randomly looking at shiny after shiny, wondering what’s around the next corner.
The one thing I keep meaning to do is some sPVP/WvWvW as I keep getting distracted by other stuff, I’ll get to it I’m sure eventually.
GW2 is really making me enjoy gaming again!

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

Now we have Guild Wars 2, a game without direction.

The intended direction is lvl80 tier 3, or is that tier 4? How many character tiers are there anyway, and why are tiers not explained (except for crafting tiers on the official GW2 wiki)?

Yes we have the Hearts, …they are NOT the path through the game.

Hearts do have level requirements. It’s not a narrow path but a path nonetheless (not that it bothers me).

And from lvl 80 it’s mostly old-school tier grinding (which does bother me).

Posted by: Sinmar.3154

Sinmar.3154

What do you mean there are no training wheels? The very first NPC you meet when you arrive at your hometown tells you exactly how to play. Follow the hearts, visit the vistas and POIs. Enjoy events.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I don’t feel this message is adequately out there, however.

Due to the intro of the game, where the first thing you’re told to do is talk to a scout who circles hearts on your map, gives players a clear path to follow. It’s counter to what the “ideal” is and in most cases leaves the player under-leveled.

Players understand that hearts have levels and provide the path through the zone. I don’t know what ArenaNet has to do to get the message across, but there is growing amounts of moaning.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I think some people are just missing the mini-tutorial that you had with Factions and Nightfall. It does take a little bit to pay attention to what is going on. But the general gameplay is not that hard to figure out. Once you learn when to dodge, you are pretty much set.

Posted by: Nyxx.8316

Nyxx.8316

I agree with the OP. This game is a breath of fresh air compared to past mainstream MMO’s and I think the folks who are having trouble didn’t properly research the game before they purchased it.

The goal of this game (for me at least) is to explore every nook and cranny; to get all the vistas, to discover new crafting recipes, to appreciate the world around me and learn its story. I understand that some are annoyed that there’s “nothing to do after 80”. For me, after 80, I’m going to roll an alt and learn her story. I’m sure by the time that happens (I’m a VERY slow leveler) they will have more content available… and if they don’t, well… there are more character slots that need filling!

I think ArenaNet did a great job achieving their vision for GW2 and anyone who feels the game doesn’t meet their expectations didn’t really do their homework when they researched and purchased the game.

Posted by: Hux.8739

Hux.8739

Sure sounds like a good PvE game the way you introduce it. Except the PvE portion of the game is really only the leveling process to play in a competitive PvP game. All of the vistas and dynamic event and such will be swept aside in favor of the PvP system after you reach 80. That is, unless you just continue to reroll alts. It does seem to have impressive PvE for the leveling process but if you expect it to have this focus for month/years to come it certainly seems you are mistaken on the direction this game takes.

Huxer(EC) Economic Collapse
Asura Warrior
BlackGate

Posted by: Nyxx.8316

Nyxx.8316

Sure sounds like a good PvE game the way you introduce it. Except the PvE portion of the game is really only the leveling process to play in a competitive PvP game. All of the vistas and dynamic event and such will be swept aside in favor of the PvP system after you reach 80. That is, unless you just continue to reroll alts. It does seem to have impressive PvE for the leveling process but if you expect it to have this focus for month/years to come it certainly seems you are mistaken on the direction this game takes.

This is assuming, of course, that people are in this game to play PvP. I personally have never been into it (though I may make an exception with this game) but for every game I’ve played, I’ve done if for the PvE.

As the game currently is, you’re right. Years to come, the current PvE won’t hold. That’s why they release expansion packs. There are so many storylines though, alt rolling is definitely an option for those who don’t enjoy PvP and don’t see it as a primary focus.

When you say all the vistas and dynamic events will be swept aside for PvP, isn’t that assuming everyone is interested in PvP?

Diva.4706

What do you mean there are no training wheels? The very first NPC you meet when you arrive at your hometown tells you exactly how to play. Follow the hearts, visit the vistas and POIs. Enjoy events.

Here is the problem ANet ran into when designing the game. In the original design there was no hearts or scouts, just events. People in closed beta didn’t understand that they where free to do anything they wanted. They stood around looking for quest NPCs and didn’t take part in events because they didn’t have a “quest”.

So ANet put in the scouts and hearts as a “tutorial” that there are events “going on” in the world. This was the little “push” to get people exploring. In later zones there are no hearts at all. The downside is people now see the scouts and hearts as actual quest hubs, and think this is the ONLY content in the zone.

The reward for playing GW2 is the fun of exploration in a dynamic world. Not gear and max level.

Posted by: Yonan.5376

Yonan.5376

Thank you ArenaNet for giving us this jewel. Finally

Seconded!

Posted by: SixStringed.3760

SixStringed.3760

This was spelled out pretty clearly when IGN was doing a “review in progress” series of videos and it was one of the biggest aspects of the game that made me buy it. The encouragement to explore on your own just feels more real and personal. I dig it.