The Most Obnoxious MMO Community To Date?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

Some people post unconstructive, unhelpful and inflammatory comments about the game.

Other people call these people on their unconstructive, unhelpful and inflammatory comments.

Guess who the problem is.

Posted by: MrThebigcheese.2014

MrThebigcheese.2014

Some people post unconstructive, unhelpful and inflammatory comments about the game.

Other people call these people on their unconstructive, unhelpful and inflammatory comments.

Guess who the problem is.

I am done arguing with someone who’s only interest is attacking others opinions. It’s more than clear why threads always fall into stuff like this. People like you.

Talk about the game. Obsessing over what everyone says and trying to prove them wrong is obviously a fool’s errand. I really think people who lower themselves to circular arguments attacking anything and everything expect the point of what was said don’t have a leg to stand on.

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

Chaotic good versus Lawful evil. Who will win? Definitely no one’s time or dignity, that’s for sure.

knightblaster.8027

You can’t go running to hide behind “talking about the game”. When you describe the game in such inflammatory terms, you are directly attacking the opinions of those who enjoy the game. Not by expressing that you do not like the game, mind you, but by being inflammatory about it. As I said above, opinions are fine, and I have no issue with them, but how they are expressed matters, and is directly relevant and on point to the topic of this thread.

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

Mr Thebigcheese wrote:

A lot is Anet’s fault with their ridiculous sales hype. Revolution this and amazing dynamic events that.

Then they released a game that is a step backwards for the genre in terms of creativity and content. All they did was change things up on the interface and make it so you don’t pick up/turn in quests.

The content itself is as stale as it gets. The classes are the shallowest in the genre. Everything about GW2 was tired upon release.

My response it this… that is your personal opinion and not fact. I disagree with it because I am personally not finding these issues. In my opinion they gave me everything they promised and then some nice little cookies that wern’t advertised.

Does the game have some problems… sure it does absolutely. No game less than 1 month from launch didn’t have problems. They are working on issues as we speak. I have only ran into 1 bug so far.. a skill point in WvW was missing, the one at the centar camp. We all reported it… I went and did other things. A few hours later it was fixed… it think it was like 3-4 hours, can’t recall.

Point is there is so much to do that it did not interrupt any game play for me. I just moved on. And that is the main issue for alot of gamers unsatisfied here, they cannot move on.

They spent $60 on a game they are not happy with. It sux, I know. I have dont it myself a few times. You buy a game with preconcieved notions or high expectations etc, and the game dosen’t live up to it. You feel like you wasted your money. Such is life.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and swallow the self intitlement and move on to a different game. The world will continue to revolve, the universe will continue to expand and games will continue to be produced. Gammers will continue to whine and demand everything they think they deserve etc. It’s a never ending cycle.

MrThebigcheese.2014

You can’t go running to hide behind “talking about the game”.

I stopped here. Please stop trolling and talk about the game. This is what the forums are here for, for people to share their opinions. If you don’t like them too bad.

riku.2091

I stopped here. Please stop trolling and talk about the game. This is what the forums are here for, for people to share their opinions. If you don’t like them too bad.

Lawful evil plays a hard game. Chaotic good, response?

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I tell you what it might be, it might be that some of us are sick to the back teeth of hearing the same old breathless hyperbolic kitten on MMO forums from self-assumed tin-pot “experts” with their ludicrously inappropriate predictions of d00m based on two weeks of play.

Enough already. Nobody cares what you think, least of all in an MMO where nobody pays a bloody subscription every month.

Go infect some other MMO forum with your rote bullkitten.

MrThebigcheese.2014

Mr Thebigcheese wrote:

A lot is Anet’s fault with their ridiculous sales hype. Revolution this and amazing dynamic events that.

Then they released a game that is a step backwards for the genre in terms of creativity and content. All they did was change things up on the interface and make it so you don’t pick up/turn in quests.

The content itself is as stale as it gets. The classes are the shallowest in the genre. Everything about GW2 was tired upon release.

My response it this… that is your personal opinion and not fact. I disagree with it because I am personally not finding these issues. In my opinion they gave me everything they promised and then some nice little cookies that wern’t advertised.

Does the game have some problems… sure it does absolutely. No game less than 1 month from launch didn’t have problems. They are working on issues as we speak. I have only ran into 1 bug so far.. a skill point in WvW was missing, the one at the centar camp. We all reported it… I went and did other things. A few hours later it was fixed… it think it was like 3-4 hours, can’t recall.

Point is there is so much to do that it did not interrupt any game play for me. I just moved on. And that is the main issue for alot of gamers unsatisfied here, they cannot move on.

They spent $60 on a game they are not happy with. It sux, I know. I have dont it myself a few times. You buy a game with preconcieved notions or high expectations etc, and the game dosen’t live up to it. You feel like you wasted your money. Such is life.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and swallow the self intitlement and move on to a different game. The world will continue to revolve, the universe will continue to expand and games will continue to be produced. Gammers will continue to whine and demand everything they think they deserve etc. It’s a never ending cycle.

How will games ever improve if only positive feedback is allowed and anyone with criticism should “just move on”?

This makes no sense to me.

It’s important to note that they probably shouldn’t have called this Guild Wars 2 because it is nothing like the 1st game. Can’t blame people who loved the 1st game only to be shocked at how watered down the 2nd game is in terms of complexity.

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

Don’t know why people even bother bring discussions like this one up…. Nothing is going to change, haters will still hate, fans will still defend the game.

I really don’t care anymore. It is just sad that a good tool for comunication can’t be used for anything else than flame wars these days. And its the same for every other MMO out there.

MrThebigcheese.2014

I do not care so much about your opinion, although I may disagree with it. I DO care about how it is expressed, and that was the point of this entire thread, which appears to have sailed over your rather oblivious head.

Resorting to insults?

I will simply report this and move on. You are obviously secure in your argument with the name calling.

knightblaster.8027

Name calling? What name did I call you? I simply said that you seem to be rather oblivious to the point of this thread, which was the obnoxious nature of the community. It wasn’t a thread about the game. Yet you attacked me for discussing the topic of the thread — meaning you seemed to me to be oblivious to what the thread was about. Not name-calling but describing how your posts were at odds with the thread topic, and how you seemed not to notice this.

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

Mr Thebigcheese wrote:

How will games ever improve if only positive feedback is allowed and anyone with criticism should “just move on”?

What I would really like is one of you people with valid complains, to come here and tell us what is your vision of a positive criticism. And after that, actually post some of this same criticism so we can compare.

I see many positive criticism from people who, like me, want a better game. We will always want a better game, because there will always be room for improvement. But I also se many many many more completely useless posts of people who find posting that they want a completely different game something positive at all.

If you really think that a post saying things like “this is a complete fail”, “this is NOTHING what I expected”, “change everything, because what you have sucks” and alike is any kind of positive, you must have problems, really.

Now my only gripe is with those kind of posts. Posts like “things I would like to see changing”, “suggestions for a better end game”, “ways to improve your dungeon experience”, are very very welcome.

If you feel entitled to post just to vent your frustrations with nothing construtive, get ready to be flamed to death by the so called obnoxious community.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

Mr Thebigcheese wrote:

It’s important to note that they probably shouldn’t have called this Guild Wars 2 because it is nothing like the 1st game. Can’t blame people who loved the 1st game only to be shocked at how watered down the 2nd game is in terms of complexity.

Its not surprising it does not make sense to you, when you are the prime example of the thread topic.

There is little point in evaluating negative opinions of someone that does not like the game. Sure, its valid that you have a negative opinion of the game. Feel better now?

Now we can move on, and someone can post a real criticism that actually has intent to be helpful to the games future development.

MrThebigcheese.2014

Name calling? What name did I call you? I simply said that you seem to be rather oblivious to the point of this thread, which was the obnoxious nature of the community.

Quick quote for irony. Take care.

Its not surprising it does not make sense to you, when you are the prime example of the thread topic.

There is little point in evaluating negative opinions of someone that does not like the game. Sure, its valid that you have a negative opinion of the game. Feel better now?

Now we can move on, and someone can post a real criticism that actually has intent to be helpful to the games future development.

See above. The problem is people who attack others.

knightblaster.8027

Name calling? What name did I call you? I simply said that you seem to be rather oblivious to the point of this thread, which was the obnoxious nature of the community.

Quick quote for irony. Take care.

Your habit of selective quoting, when the text that you have omitted from your quote undermines the reason for which you are quoting it, is singularly unimpressive and frankly quite tiresome, as this this the second time you have pulled that stunt in the same thread.

riku.2091

Let’s dissect this post to see what points are made.

1. Not like first game
2. Some people who liked the first don’t like this one

Now let’s see which points were offered to remedy these problems that work within the game’s intended parameters.

Huh. Alright, let’s see what was offered in general.

…Really, then? Alright. To be fair, let’s look at all your posts and see what you offered.

1. …

I just read through all of your posts. And guess what? A whole lot of complaining with absolutely no feedback on how to make their game better. Constructive criticism isn’t just “I hate this”, or “I hate this and this is why”, it’s “I hate this, this is why, and here is a suggestion on how to improve it”, without a suggestion, to them, they have to keep changing things until they somehow stumble onto the right answer.

What have you done on this thread?

1. Presented your opinions as facts
2. Complained when someone pointed this out to you
3. Reported someone for trying to explain his problem with you in the hopes misunderstandings could be cleared up.

(edited by riku.2091)

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

If you walked into Street Fighter IV’s forum and blathered on about how much the game sucks because it’s nothing like Tekken 6, you’d rightfully be met with hostility.

People are doing pretty much exactly that on these boards. Relevant criticisms take a back-seat to uninformed consumers whining about wanting this game to be a carbon copy of either WoW or GW1.

Actually, this is the problem right here. People using this huge strawman against any critic of the game. Obviously we’re all playing this game, and not WoW or GW1. There’s something about it that motivated us to pay US$60, a sizable sum, and spend precious time playing it. That doesn’t mean WoW and GW1 don’t have worthwhile features worth bringing up when discussing this game.

All you’re doing here is painting everyone as swine who can’t appreciate your pearl of a game. THAT is how communities are ruined.

User was infracted for being awesome.

riku.2091

If you walked into Street Fighter IV’s forum and blathered on about how much the game sucks because it’s nothing like Tekken 6, you’d rightfully be met with hostility.

People are doing pretty much exactly that on these boards. Relevant criticisms take a back-seat to uninformed consumers whining about wanting this game to be a carbon copy of either WoW or GW1.

Actually, this is the problem right here. People using this huge strawman against any critic of the game. Obviously we’re all playing this game, and not WoW or GW1. There’s something about it that motivated us to pay US$60, a sizable sum, and spend precious time playing it. That doesn’t mean WoW and GW1 don’t have worthwhile features worth bringing up when discussing this game.

All you’re doing here is painting everyone as swine who can’t appreciate your pearl of a game. THAT is how communities are ruined.

I’ve started to think of MMO communities as gangs.

Complete sucking-up or death.

And the gods help you if you step into another MMO’s territory (forum).

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

In a way they are but I’m more than willing to jump in a WoW player

Posted by: Nemmar.8491

Nemmar.8491

Historically Guild Wars fans have always been extremely touchy about other MMO’s, to the point where mentioning WoW on guild chat was forbidden. I never quite understood that insecurity. The original Guild Wars was a very good game.

Posted by: Battousai.7586

Battousai.7586

please… this is the only game iv played in 30 years where random [none guildies] people thank you for reviving & assisting 9/10 times [EU], and banter on the trade channels are mostly troll & hate free.. i just log into wow and trade is spammed with anal, and people erping out in the open with gold sellers! agh

(edited by Battousai.7586)

riku.2091

Historically Guild Wars fans have always been extremely touchy about other MMO’s, to the point where mentioning WoW on guild chat was forbidden. I never quite understood that insecurity. The original Guild Wars was a very good game.

To be hipster? I dunno. I think it’s more “We don’t WoW suggestions because” …meh. I played WoW for 3 months and lost interest. I can’t say I consistently played GW1, but I would play it in small bursts for 6 years after I bought it.

Posted by: Nemmar.8491

Nemmar.8491

To be hipster? I dunno. I think it’s more “We don’t WoW suggestions because” …meh. I played WoW for 3 months and lost interest. I can’t say I consistently played GW1, but I would play it in small bursts for 6 years after I bought it.

I generalised though. I’m a huge fan of the original guild wars and it never bothered me.

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

This was very interesting to come back to. Goodbye topic, hello insults.

Posted by: ashsmith.8976

ashsmith.8976

I find it sad that ALOT of players in this game are massively insecure when it comes to WOW be it ingame or on these forums . You know when i log wow noone talks about guild wars . When i log guild wars everyone is talking about wow no matter what anyone has to say about anything.

what does that tell you ?

knightblaster.8027

It tells you that WoW has 10m subscribers and has cast a huge shadow over the entire MMO genre. The person casting the shadow isn’t worried, but the people in the shadow are. GW2 has an opportunity to be something different, but tons of its players are lobbying like mad to make it more like WoW. So, yes, that’s an issue. Does every MMO have to be like WoW, because WoW has millions of players who play every other MMO as well and demand it??

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I think I’ve seen WoW mentioned in-game in map chat once in the whole month so far on my server (Piken Square). Most of the WoW mentions on the forum come from people who insist on comparing what they perceive as the shortcomings of GW2 with what they perceive as the advantages of WoW.

And then in response to that you see us fanbois commenting about how WoW isn’t all that.

It used to be, for sure, but not any more. GW2 is more like WoW was when it started actually – not in detail of mechanics, certainly, but more in the spirit of its trying new things in the genre.

Posted by: ashsmith.8976

ashsmith.8976

so adding a few features that would make the game better is making it like wow . Ok i see your logic there . I hope they dont add authenticators , would make the game to like WOW. What next pandas ?

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

gw2 has gotten to be the hipster mmo… its kinda funny

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

knightblaster.8027

so adding a few features that would make the game better is making it like wow . Ok i see your logic there . I hope they dont add authenticators , would make the game to like WOW. What next pandas ?

Authenticators are fine. Pandas I don’t feel strongly about. Raids, stat gear progression — yes, I feel strongly about those. But in any case the point is that the game isn’t WoW and doesn’t need to be conformed to WoW. Many of us who are playing it are playing it precisely because it is NOT like WoW in some key respects (not authenticators or Pandas — as far as I am aware, those have not come up on the forums, and are classic strawmen).

Posted by: pmiles.3489

pmiles.3489

Look at the bright side, a community up in pitchforks is a community that is still more focused on GW2 than anything else. If they truly were fed up, they wouldn’t even bother to stop in to complain. They’re still here… and playing… it’s when the forums turn into a ghost town that they have all actually left. But as you can see… it’s as vibrant and active as ever.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

We won’t get pandas (thank goodness) but maybe someday we’ll get Kodan.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

We won’t get pandas (thank goodness) but maybe someday we’ll get Kodan.

Tengu plis

I’m personally hoping for both. =)

Posted by: Altair.7560

Altair.7560

If the past 12 years of gaming have taught me anything, the thing is that forums are a quick way to change your viewpoint on a game. Sometimes good, sometimes down right awful. You see the ugly side of things that make you hate certain aspects of the game. You see yes men and zealots attacking anyone that speaks their mind. You see people endlessly complain about things and point out the faults of the developers. Your mind changes, you don’t just enjoy this game anymore. You start to be more critical and analyze every little piece of game information, and may even dwell too much on opinions. Is that good? Balthazar knows. All I know is that sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

(edited by Altair.7560)

Posted by: KittyWitty.7813

KittyWitty.7813

MMO bandwagoners are realizing this isn’t the MMO they want, they probably have nostalgia for an old MMORPG and suspect whenever a new MMORPG releases that claims to be different it means it’s their old MMORPG V2. They try it out, it’s not their thing, they complain on the forums, demanding the game be changed to their nostalgia rose-tinted glasses view.

But, for the actual in-game community, I found it’s been pretty good, I remember playing WoW for the first time and someone criticizing my choice of talents. However I found people are genuinely nice and I’ve had people join up for mini adventures.

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

I personally found the best community to be City of Heroes, another NCSOFT game. (But it is going to be axed by NCSOFT itself). Questions about the game, builds & etc are often answered in the help channel by players themselves. Some would even go out of their way to team with you for an hour or so if you needed help when there are no incentive for them to do so.

The most toxic and noxious communities I ever came across is WoW. People are generally unfriendly, unhelpful and occasionally mean spirited, but that may have something to do with the fundamental core design of the game. Especially when it competes players against each other for in game resources.

Raid slots, mobs need for mats/quests, raw material nodes and etc…

It is true that GW2 itself hasn’t really revolutionize the MMO genre. Most heart quest, challenges and events have been done before in past by other games. The formula is pretty much the same, do XYZ and the progression bar towards quest completion moves by a %.

So its nothing really new here. BUT… what it gets right is that it eliminates a lot of the tedium that is normally associated with MMORPGs, such as;
1. Find NPC with Quest
2. Click on NPC to take Quest
3. Go out and do Quest
4. Return to NPC to hand in Quest

The other thing that also really like about GW2 is that I still get EXP even if I didn’t tag the mob and just joined in attacking after fight have started. The player who started the fight gets exp/loot, I get exp/loot. I can also join a caravan escort while coming across it, instead of going to the pickup point and start all over.
Not only that, reviving fallen players also net you a small exp reward. Your level also gets auto-tuned to the zone that you are in. Making it possible for your lvl 23 charr to go group up with your lvl 5 Asura friend who just picked up the game.

To be honest, I’m not sure how much more creative or innovative one can get at MMO game design. With incentives that encourages people to work together and be helpful, I feel that this would foster a more cooperative environment and a better community.

Sure, there are some rabid fans who would bite your head off for criticizing the game.
However you can find these sort of people almost everywhere. MMOs/ other games / sports/political views/religion etc etc…

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

MMO bandwagoners are realizing this isn’t the MMO they want, they probably have nostalgia for an old MMORPG and suspect whenever a new MMORPG releases that claims to be different it means it’s their old MMORPG V2. They try it out, it’s not their thing, they complain on the forums, demanding the game be changed to their nostalgia rose-tinted glasses view.

Oh this is so true. I know because I happen to fall into these category.
My first MMO was Ultima Online (UO). And for those that don’t know, it is a fantasy inspired, SANDBOX mmo.

So as I migrate over to the new MMOs, the changes I clamor for most are those features would personalize your experience. Which existed in UO / SWG: Housing & the ability to decorate them with furniture, armor dyes, social outfits/costumes, personal boats, crafted goods that is competitive/on par with dungeon/raid drops, etc etc…

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

If the past 12 years of gaming have taught me anything, the thing is that forums are a quick way to change your viewpoint on a game. Sometimes good, sometimes down right awful. You see the ugly side of things that make you hate certain aspects of the game. You see yes men and zealots attacking anyone that speaks their mind. You see people endlessly complain about things and point out the faults of the developers. Your mind changes, you don’t just enjoy this game anymore. You start to be more critical and analyze every little piece of game information, and may even dwell too much on opinions. Is that good? Balthazar knows. All I know is that sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

No it is not. The problem you describe has nothing to with being ignorant or not. It’s a matter of being influenced by others. You need to become aware of the fact that everyone is always at every moment being influenced by other people and once you’re aware of that you can try to shield it off to a point that it wont overwhelm your own opinion.

Posted by: Tsaritsin.5364

Tsaritsin.5364

I know no good can possibly come from this, but every time I drop by the forums I can’t help but notice how disrespectful and defensive this community has become. Anyone that has anything critical to say is given the old Thousand Hand Slap by the game’s fans.

In MMOs with subs I chalk it up to people wanting on whatever level to defend the money they spend every month on the game. But here it is as bad as I have ever seen and the game has no sub..so I am at a lost.

Why all the hostility?

lol, you think this is bad ?

You should of seen the Diablo forums just after release, or the SWTOR forums for that matter.

This forum is quite civilised tbh, and I hope it stays that way.

ps, I would much rather have a forum like this, than a forum like the Blizzard forums that are simply – “Rate the Transmog above you” and “Blizzard we love you, we want to have your children”, and then everything negative is simply deleted.

I shall not be there, I shall rise and pass,
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

Posted by: Quench.7091

Quench.7091

Have you ever played SWTOR and been to their forums when the game launched? That was the most obnoxious community in an MMORPG. The fanatics of that game steered the developers into not taking action on the problems the game had until it was too late. I even saw people report a player for posting a link to the unsubscribe page while unsubscribe button was broken! That is obnoxious defense. Actually willing to get in the way of other gamers just to stop them from quitting the game.

But that doesn’t excuse the hostility on this forum, it only gives an example of what can happen if people defend even the flaws of a game.

riku.2091

Have you ever played SWTOR and been to their forums when the game launched? That was the most obnoxious community in an MMORPG. The fanatics of that game steered the developers into not taking action on the problems the game had until it was too late. I even saw people report a player for posting a link to the unsubscribe page while unsubscribe button was broken! That is obnoxious defense. Actually willing to get in the way of other gamers just to stop them from quitting the game.

But that doesn’t excuse the hostility on this forum, it only gives an example of what can happen if people defend even the flaws of a game.

I know I’ve fallen victim to zealot-ing in this game’s favor, but I try to keep my zealous-yness slightly fact-based.

I think right now, though, it’s just a cloud of confusion. Plus the different groups of people posting.

Some people from other MMOs are coming here and finding things they weren’t expecting. Some of those get angry, instead of properly learning the mechanic/gameplay. Some of those then come here and complain. The few that water down into the last step are usually pretty mad.

Another group is usually well-intentioned, with the opinion of the game is new, and a lot of these problems are not really problems, but parts of the game that simply heavily differ from others. They will vehemently guard these aspects, and can often fail to tell the difference between “bug” or “innovation”, and persecute both equally as someone “just not getting the game”.

Rarer are those who post good things, and just try to have fun and ask questions.

The rarest are those who CAN tell the difference between innovation and bug, and construct a very through, valid piece of constructive criticism without insulting ANet or other players.

Just my thoughts and observation.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

So far, when I made constructive criticism, I never met any hater/fanboy to spit on my mature points.

Most complaints I see are very disruptive, opinionated, generic, use absolutisms and never give any realistic solution.
Those are rants, not criticism, and as such they deserve to be assaulted because if we let people hate freely this forum will become like GW2Guru’s Tyrian Assembly.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

@OP: Trust me, Teras community was 10 trillion times worse than GW2 at launch..

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

I don’t think that it is here any worse than I have seen on other MMO boards.

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

Posted by: fingis.2867

fingis.2867

All MMO forums are pretty much the same. People who have a complaint are motivated to post. People who are happy with the game aren’t motivated to post.

I’m not really sure what some of you thought this forum would turn out. Why would it be different from every other MMO forum out there?