The Mursaat - When Would it be Appropriate?

in Lore

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

I was always very into the lore of GW1, and remembered a bit from Lazarus the Dire:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lazarus_the_Dire

It is not a long read, so you should read it. But the tl;dr: Basically, a powerful Mursaat named Lazarus the Dire split himself into a few aspects, putting them into hosts. He then came to reclaim these aspects, which in turn killed the hosts. One of the aspects was damaged by a human and an asura, to which Lazarus declared vengeance against countless generations.

It is also interesting that Mursaat once fought alongside races against the dragons. So therefore, it would make sense that the Mursaat would eventually show up.

The addition of infusements. agony resistance (although not the same as spectral agony, but interestingly similarly named) also nod to the Mursaat.

I, for one, am very excited, as the Mursaat were incredibly interesting, lore-wise. Plus, the Mursaat showing up would definitely change GW2 drastically, and would make for a very interesting living story arc.

There is an issue, however, in that the Mursaat were essentially friendly and fought against the dragons. Once the dragons were gone, then issues arose. And since GW2 revolves around the dragons, I cannot imagine them being much of a threat, yet.

Anyways, thoughts on this subject?

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

(edited by OptimistPrime.9283)

in Lore

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Much of the original lore has been tossed out the window as of this game. I wouldn’t expect anything from the Mursaat in the near future though.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

in Lore

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Much of the original lore has been tossed out the window as of this game. I wouldn’t expect anything from the Mursaat in the near future though.

Much of Guild Wars has been tossed out in the name of reaching a broader audience.

Personal Story and Story mode dungeons, hell the story as a whole is absolutely upsetting.

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

This Angel McCoy hate is getting ridiculous.

Mursaat should come to help us in the fight with the ED, when we go to the Isle of Janthir ( somewhere in 2016, prob)

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Lore

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Yeah, unfortunately lore wise, GW just doesn’t feel like GW anymore. I’ve never gone from loving a story so much to hating it so much.

Wouw, people are frustrated with the change because it’s so egregious it almost feels spiteful. It’s like there was a hatred for what was in GW, & someone wanted to kill it & build on it’s carcass.

in Lore

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

expect an exclusive one-week-only Mursaat mini sale in the gem shop.

expect little else.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

in Lore

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Don’t hold your breath, as long as Ms. Angel McCoy is employed.

?

And out of curiosity where is the info that the Mursaat helped fight against the dragons?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Lore

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

When would it be appropriate?

Never.

I was once dying to see how the amazing lore of GW1 would evolve, now I pray Anet has forgotten about it.
I don’t want to see the dynamic “I’m not wearing anything TEEHEE” duo barge into the Ring of Fire, location of the Door of Komalie to find out it’s Scarlet’s main sooper seekret base where she uses the apparently very VERY dusty Bloodstone as her toilet and keeps Lazarus the Dire as her guard dog.

I don’t know how about you but I’ve had enough ~Later Later~ to last me a lifetime.

in Lore

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

?

And out of curiosity where is the info that the Mursaat helped fight against the dragons?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mursaat

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

in Lore

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Ignoring the hate and vile.. sigh. . Wish these forums could be a little more positive..

As someone who didn’t play GW1 but have been doing research on the lore, from what I’ve gathered the Mursaat chickened out and really didn’t help fight the dragons. They found a way to escape and go to an inbetween Tryia and left the other races to fend for themselves against the Dragons.

Also from what I can gather, the Mursaat where then mostly killed and Lazarus was a lone survivor who was able to escape. I could see Lazarus making a return possibly, but most likely as the last of his/its kind.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Lore

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

As someone who didn’t play GW1

i stopped reading after that.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

in Lore

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

B-but why is “X” happening?

kittenING MAGIC!

in Lore

DarksunG.9537

Ignoring the hate and vile.. sigh. . Wish these forums could be a little more positive..

Sorry, but “being positive” is like telling someone they can only agree with everything that Anet is going to do. It’s bogus. If what they did was bad, then acting like it’s good is dishonest & unproductive. It would be the same as doing nothing.

Also, if you didn’t play the first one.. um.. how can you judge the people who did? Pariah & many others feel like the writers have not just “evolved” the story, but mangled it into their personal desires. Like they hated how it was & wanted to create their own universe to push out the old one.

I love the Mursaat & I was so looking forward to seeing them in GW2. But with current weirdness that is the story I can’t even begin to imagine how much they will mutilate the once cool race.

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

The more I yearn for GW lore the more I hope they never mutilate it through GW2 story dynamics introduce it.

in Lore

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mursaat

Ahh, read that page a loooong time ago, and forgotten that part. Thanks.
But as Delvoire said, they didn’t really help fight the dragons, they fled and left the other races to do it.

So what was with the comment about Angel McCoy? Did she say something in something about the Mursaat not gonna happen/appear in GW2?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Lore

DarksunG.9537

So what was with the comment about Angel McCoy?

No no. people bring that up because she was responsible for writing the “evolution” from GW1 lore to GW2. Things like how the lore of the gods was all wrong because it was recorded by “biased humans”. It’s pretty obvious retconning & worst of all, it devalues many GW1 payers past experiences & things we liked. There is also a thread in these changes that, as I said, seem to have a disdain for the flavor of GW1 lore.

in Lore

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

I sincerely hope they return. The Mursaat are by far my favorite villains from any game series, if you could even call them “villains”. Their reasons are not evil, but their methods are.

I’m on IoJ. My amulet is an Eye of Janthir. I use a Mursaat Token. I’m probably one of the biggest fans of the Mursaat.

To ignore using them in the future, or at least Lazarus, would be a terrible shame.

in Lore

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

I don’t want to see the dynamic “I’m not wearing anything TEEHEE” duo barge into the Ring of Fire, location of the Door of Komalie to find out it’s Scarlet’s main sooper seekret base where she uses the apparently very VERY dusty Bloodstone as her toilet and keeps Lazarus the Dire as her guard dog.

Right? if the writers weren’t so focused on the garbage that doesn’t matter (them being lesbos) they would be interesting characters. But nope instead of going into more detail about something that we want to know about such as Majory being canthan (theres only a million post thread on cantha, i’m sure people would love it) we get this lame omgsoprogressivegaycouple crap. At this rate its going to turn into something from a tarnished coast erp session.

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

in Lore

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

When would it be appropriate?

Never.

I was once dying to see how the amazing lore of GW1 would evolve, now I pray Anet has forgotten about it.

I don’t know how about you but I’ve had enough ~Later Later~ to last me a lifetime.

This hurts because I could see it happen.

in Lore

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I’m with you OP. I believe they will make a return. They are too cool and adversary not to bring them back.

in Lore

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

The mursaat are a dead/dying race like the dwarves (little is known of them in gw2 because the only one interacting with the other races is ogden stonehealer who was turned to stone sometime between gw1 and 2).

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

in Lore

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Perhaps they have already made an appearance within the storyline… Counting six times now.. Then again perhaps they have not appeared at all.. We have seen them already but then again, who knows…. Who Knows.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

There is an issue, however, in that the Mursaat were essentially friendly and fought against the dragons. Once the dragons were gone, then issues arose. And since GW2 revolves around the dragons, I cannot imagine them being much of a threat, yet.

This is false.
The Mursaat were never friendly and did not assist the other races in fighting against the dragons. They found a way to phase themselves out of Tyria and did so, leaving the other races alone to fight the dragons. They are pretty evil…

Either before or after this point (though I think before?) the Mursaat had been at war with the Seer’s, who did not come out very well.. So yeah. Definitely evil.

in Lore

Posted by: Scynte.1340

Scynte.1340

When? When there are writers who care about actual gw lore.

How? If Mursaat phased out of existence, then not all may have phased into existence as of their near-extermination in GW1. The rest phased into existence much later than events of Prophecies. No one can see them because no one has ascended since GW1 time. (No [2nd] profession changing and the like.) These newer Mursaat are cautious because they learned about how the others were defeated by humans. They’ll do what the others had done: subtly affect events to their benefit. New areas: Crystal Desert and Isle of Janthir.
It requires that they be the focus of the story! No ED/Scarlet as the big bad! If an ED must be involved, then have the Mursaat manipulate the PCs to get rid of it for them.

*Edit: Oh, and they wouldn’t be at the Ring of Fire. No need; titans were gone for centuries. PCs would be led to Crystal Desert for ED (subtly, by Mursaat). Discover Mursaat exist, but can’t see/fight them. Mursaat would guard Augury Rock, which still holds the power of the gods. They’d ascend, discover passage to the IoJ, and take the fight to them. There! GW2 first expansion.

(edited by Scynte.1340)

in Lore

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

As soon as I heard about Agony in Fractals, I thought of the Mursaat. In GW1, they inhabited areas that are not currently open in GW2. These would be Ice Caves, Iron Mines, Thunderhead Keep (one of my fave missions in Prophecies) in the Southern Shiverpeaks and the Ring of Fire islands. They and their Jade constructs used Spectral Agony to devestating effect to anyone who did not have infused armor. (GW wiki says, “Jade constructs do not activate Spectral Agony directly. Instead, the effect is automatically applied if they deal damage to a character.”)

I REALLY hope that all of the new ascended crafting stuff was introduced so we would have time to “infuse” our armor and weapons with agony resistance, in preparation for opening areas where we will encounter the Mursaat and their Jade constructs.

in Lore

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Thanks for kittening up boards and deleting my original post. Here is the gist of it.

As other people have said I don’t want anymore GW1 lore being brought up in GW2. Ever since Eye of the North they have just been retconning and mangling it up.

I’ve come to terms with GW2 being worse then 1 in that department so as long as they don’t keep showing their utter disdain for GW1 fans I can just enjoy this game for what it is and try to ignore the damage that is already done. This is actually part of the reason why I don’t hate Scarlet.

So yeah keep Lazarus the Dire and his harry potter rip off story and his Saturday morning cartoon villain final threat out of the game, I don’t need reminding of that.

in Lore

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Because this thread has drifted completely off topic and people have resorted to insulting remarks, this thread is now closed.