The New GW2 Flavor Rocks!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

I’m less upset about the addition of a new gear tier, and actually more upset about the change to the flavor of the game.

If you’re having fun with the game, whatever that might be, doing dailies, running dungeons, collecting mats for crafting, experimenting with recipes, doing the open world events, or participating in WvW or PvP then it’s not a grind to obtain new gear.

The original designers of the game understood this. It only becomes a grind when you are forced into a single type of gameplay that you don’t particular like to begin with or becomes boring because you have to repeat the same action and content over and over again.

If everything you do in the game (crafting, adventuring, dungeons, dynamic events) ticks you a bit closer to acquiring the top end gear in the game then you’re earning the gear as a side effect of you having fun playing the game YOUR WAY. This was the promise GW2 had over other MMO’s

I’m pretty sure this was the point of Karma, by just playing the game you earn your way into Exotic gear (the old top level gear in the game) that’s what was great about this MMO. You could also just craft your way into the best gear or if you wanted to run dungeons you could get into top end gear that way too……this system is now broken.

This addition of the Ascended gear and Infusions have basically killed many of the best “Play the Game Your Way Systems” this game had to offer from crafting to karma.
The addition of this new tier of gear is just a symptom of the pandemic of things they broke with this patch.

The original designers of the game removed things like the trinity so there were no barriers for players to leap over in order for people to just play together without the need to search for a single profession type. This new content seems to work against this principle. With the introduction of mitigation armor (Agony) players will seek out others that already have a start on the mitigation sets to group with to improve their odds and be reluctant to let players with lower resistant scores join the group.

With the scaling of difficulty players will also seek out other players that have already unlocked the higher difficulty ranges so they don’t have to repeat the lower ones. This all goes against the original ideology for the game reintroducing walls for the players to leap over to play together.

Although these walls are being self-imposed by the player base the current design teams seems oblivious to how players will twist these systems to their advantage and exclude players lower down on the food chain.

The game is making a shift more towards the instanced dungeon endgame so many MMO’s go with introducing a new token (Currency) the Fractal Relics that will unlock some of the more powerful items in the game. This power creep virtually renders much of the other dungeons in the game obsolete just 3 months after launch, good luck finding a group for any of them if you haven’t already seen them.

I see this instanced endgame shift as an unfortunate step in the wrong direction that diminishes the open world massively multi-player elements. In a game that relies on players to push back against the games open world dynamic event driven environments a critical mass of players is needed to keep these areas playable. We are already seeing endgame open world areas that have multiple way points in contention because players have abandoned the dynamic events in these areas and the world has pushed back against the environment.

My prediction is this doesn’t get better any time soon, players trying to find a massively multi-player experience in the endgame open world zones are not going to find the critical mass of players needed to contend with the many group dynamic events in these areas or throughout the rest of the game.

I’m certain that with the player base already diluted between WvW, PvP and now this new endgame dungeon designed scaling in difficulty allowing players to constantly run them as long as they like the open world will become nothing more than a virtual lobby especially since this dungeon has its own unique currency connected to the best rewards in the game.

Moving forward I see the inevitable evolution for this game is to abandon the open world dynamic events in lieu of a more traditional single player quest system.
If these design changes are intentional then bravo job well done on the part of the live team, but I signed up for a true massively multi player open world experience so I’ll be taking a pass.

“Welcome to the lobby for World of GW2 please make a selection, would you like dungeon A,B or C ….sit back relax your game will start in a moment”

If you got this far and are curious about the title of this post that’s how the Bait and Switch works when you advertise one thing and deliver something unexpected.

(edited by Logun.2349)

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

If you got this far and are curious about the title of this post that’s how the bait and shift works when you advertise one thing and deliver something unexpected.

Nicely stated/demonstrated!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

+1

Unfortunately, some of your predictions for the shift in community are already happening. It is only going to get worse.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Arysta.9530

Arysta.9530

I haven’t visited most of the old dungeons. Sigh. I thought I had time. I’m so disappointed that this happened so quickly after launch. Without a LFG tool, I might as well give up on ever seeing them.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I was hoping this would be about a new flavor of pop rocks like how they do Halo Mountain Dew. Monetization!

Seriously though, I think the a lot of what we fear will happen is just as likely as what we hope will happen. I hope that whatever they change makes the game better, though.

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

Well said op 15 char

Logun.2349

If you got this far and are curious about the title of this post that’s how the bait and shift works when you advertise one thing and deliver something unexpected.

According to EU and US laws with ‘bait and switch’ we can get our money back from Anet, but will you refund our time reading this post? :P

Well the post was free so I’ll gladly refund that. Just like Arena Net will refund your game purchase. However the time you spent reading it is gone forever just like the 3 months of time you spent in this game.

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

I agree.

Let us get gear in the Play style we like This includes SPvP. Forcing us to go to a play style will don’t want to grind is frustrating..

Just because a grind makes you play more doesn’t make the game better.

Adding a grind just to try to get people to play longer is such a crutch, Make people play longer because you are adding fun new content.

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

According to EU and US laws with ‘bait and switch’ we can get our money back from Anet, but will you refund our time reading this post? :P

Well unless you are screwing over your employer, you read this post in your free time.

Here is your refund…….

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Xpiher.5209

I agree.

Let us get gear in the Play style we like This includes SPvP. Forcing us to go to a play style will don’t want to grind is frustrating..

Adding a grind just to try to get people to play longer is such a crutch, Make people play longer because you are adding fun new content.

Everyone is given max armor at sPvP. Why would a person who does only sPvP even care about this update?

Lt Latency.7415

I agree.

Everyone is given max armor at sPvP. Why would a person who does only sPvP even care about this update?

Because I while I mainly do SPvP. I also send a bit of time doing WPvP. So when I go to this content I like, Even thought I spend huge amounts of time playing. I have the WORST gear here because I get nothing doing what I like.

Lt Latency.7415

I agree.

Because I while I mainly do SPvP.

I also send a bit of time doing WPvP.

So when I go to this content I like, Even thought I spend huge amounts of time playing. I have the WORST gear here because I get nothing doing what I like.

Xpiher.5209

I agree.

Because I while I mainly do SPvP. I also send a bit of time doing WPvP. So when I go to this content I like, Even thought I spend huge amounts of time playing. I have the WORST gear here because I get nothing doing what I like.

Hmm, that sucks. They are going to add ascended gear for WvW though. Exotics already exist for it as well. Grind them tokens baby!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

beautiful post OP

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

I am not all for the accended gear and all either. However, I try to work within the system ankittenrying to give it a try like it or not.

I like the concept of the new dungeon. Kind of neat and all, however, and this is a big however, is that I am having a tough time trying to get a group together. I am still level 1. Have not had much time to play this weekend. The issue is people asking for higher levels so they do not have to go back down again. To me this is the biggest issue with that dungeon.

I spent an hour trying to get a group yesterday and was not able to. I am a level 80 with full exotics and am an engineer( which already hurts against me). With not being able to play from the get go, people now are in the upper levels and they do not want to go back and help anyone out. Some say join a guild. I am in a guild, however, 80% of the guild as quit because of some of these issues which pretty much leaves me alone again.

I though well I can wait it out a week until they reset. Well I guess I found out they they will not reset which means anyone trying to do this dungeon later is pretty much out of luck.

I am trying to work with what they gave us and unfortuntely with this type of dungeon system, it will pretty much leave me out of it because that is the nature of the beast with this type of set up. Get behind, fall behind and left out.

Xpiher.5209

I am not all for the accended gear and all either. However, I try to work within the system ankittenrying to give it a try like it or not.

I like the concept of the new dungeon. Kind of neat and all, however, and this is a big however, is that I am having a tough time trying to get a group together. I am still level 1. Have not had much time to play this weekend. The issue is people asking for higher levels so they do not have to go back down again. To me this is the biggest issue with that dungeon.

I spent an hour trying to get a group yesterday and was not able to. I am a level 80 with full exotics and am an engineer( which already hurts against me). With not being able to play from the get go, people now are in the upper levels and they do not want to go back and help anyone out. Some say join a guild. I am in a guild, however, 80% of the guild as quit because of some of these issues which pretty much leaves me alone again.

I though well I can wait it out a week until they reset. Well I guess I found out they they will not reset which means anyone trying to do this dungeon later is pretty much out of luck.

I am trying to work with what they gave us and unfortuntely with this type of dungeon system, it will pretty much leave me out of it because that is the nature of the beast with this type of set up. Get behind, fall behind and left out.

Which is even worse than wow because you just got left behind a lot faster. The intention of only releasing a few items at a time was to make the treadmill slower. Too bad they added levels, with increasing loot, to the dungeon as well. Doesn’t help that doing anything lower than level 10 is useless once you get there because the daily at level 10 gives you an ascended ring LOL

Posted by: Bornthisway.4609

Bornthisway.4609

Very well said. At first I was excited at “new gear, new dungeon” but the gear should not be ONLY obtained through this dungeon. That is unfair and a total contradiction to the whole rest of the game. Everything should be downgraded to Exotics and we should move on.

Agony is also a terrible, uninspired idea. So disappointing, all in all.

Posted by: Cerulean.5142

Cerulean.5142

Nice post OP. +1

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

I will still wander around playing the way I want to play, but now I know doing so will never allow me an equal footing, so much of the game and all of the major incentives to socialize are closed to me.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Logun.2349

I’m really sorry to hear that Sardonia.

I didn’t expect my fears I talked about in the opening post to be realised this soon. Like I said the live team seems to not realise how MMO players castoff players that they feel could impede there progress.

The original developers (ankittenep using that term because I can’t believe any of them could be involved with this tragedy) were smart enough to recognise the things that prevented players from grouping and putting up self-imposed walls and did away with them.

The live team seams to have thrown out the GW2 development hand book and are doing there own thing.

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

Very nice post OP.
Your last paragraph really put things in perspective.

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

I’m really sorry to hear that Sardonia.

I didn’t expect my fears I talked about in the opening post to be realised this soon. Like I said the live team seems to not realise how MMO players castoff players that they feel could impede there progress.

The original developers (ankittenep using that term because I can’t believe any of them could be involved with this tragedy) were smart enough to recognise the things that prevented players from grouping and putting up self-imposed walls and did away with them.

The live team seams to have thrown out the GW2 development hand book and are doing there own thing.

Thanks for the concern. I saw anothe post in another thread where a person tryied for 2 hours and could not find a group.

Again I am trying to work with what they gave us and because of that one specific design, and this does not even mention agony yet, it will leave a lot people out. I do not have a lot time in a day to play. So spending and hour or so looking for a group just will not cut it.

I still play other parts and such, just my motivation has decreased a lot because of all this.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I’m not willing to keep upgrading my gear every few months/years, even if it’s just a matter of doing 1 dungeon run, meta event, or personal story quest chain. I simply won’t do it, and if you can’t assure me that once I reached max stats on my gear I will never have to work for those max stats again, then I won’t be able to play your MMORPG.

GW1 and other single player RPGs conditioned me, just like WoW conditioned grinders. I may be spoiled, but that are now my criteria now are for even considering putting any effort in a game with character progression. I’m willing to partake in vertical item progression if I can be 110% sure that once I reach the top stat wise, I’ll never have to return to working towards it again in order to stay at peak efficiency.

Infusions, whether they affect basic stats or just agony resistance, are an unacceptable mechanic for me. They aren’t a one time update, but are tiered as well.

What this means to me is, if ANet doesn’t scrap the concept entirely(which has pretty much no chance of happening), the next time I could even consider spending any time on maxing my gear is after they released the full ascended gear and ascended infusions. And who knows, by then they might have introduced another tier of armor with another set of upgrades like infusions.

(edited by ASB.4295)

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

Good one. I was initial disgusted by the title but got pleasantly surprised by its content.

Anet/NCSoft shenanigan, on the other end, made me stop playing. I had planned on leveling up all 8 professions to 80. Now I don’t know if I should start demanding for a refund due to being lied to or leave it as a second account for my wife.

They won’t see a dime from me again either way. I’ve spend over 500 dollars in two accounts since open beta in what is now junk for me. Been playing with Anet since late 2005. This sudden abandonment in philosophy and official comments on future content (which will deepen gear grind) comes particularly hard and is a major letdown.

Let’s all hail the new overlords and their awesome new flavor: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/crystin-cox/3/957/a77

dalendria.3762

Dang. This is happening to you only after 2 days since the patch. This is one of the things some of us were afraid of. We have seen this happen before. However, I really am disappointed now in this change of direction because I never would have guessed it would happen after a few days. That tells me that something is wrong in the design.

Fractals is new so it should be real easy to get a group within the first few weeks. Why are people now reporting that they cannot get a group after only 2 days?

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

Fractals is new so it should be real easy to get a group within the first few weeks. Why are people now reporting that they cannot get a group after only 2 days?

Because the system works.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Haha, everytime I make a thread where the title doesn’t directly describe the contents, a moderator changes it.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Agreed.

We need a really clear statement from ANet that Ascended gear will be available through crafting, WvW, open world content, in addition to dungeons, and that there won’t be a big stretch of time between its addition to the other spheres of gameplay.

They have indicated this might be the case, but not with the clarity necessary.

I don’t like the gear treadmill, but I will tolerate it if I can reasonably keep up without running dungeons.

dalendria.3762

Agreed.

We need a really clear statement from ANet that Ascended gear will be available through crafting, WvW, open world content, in addition to dungeons, and that there won’t be a big stretch of time between its addition to the other spheres of gameplay.

I don’t like the gear treadmill, but I will tolerate it if I can reasonably keep up without running dungeons.

Here is a question. Why was it rolled out without offering those other ways to obtain it? The exotic has all paths. This is a new tier afterall. So if you are trying to stay within your game framework, why only make it obtainable via a dungeon?

Oh wait, traditional MMOs do that. You can only obtain the top tier gear via dungeon runs. So if it was offered via the other methods now, would those that love this approach have really come back or played more?

And if not, will they really introduce the other methods anytime soon. Having it available via other means in the next 4-6 months is too late. By then, the people who spend a lot of time running dungeons will fully out gear everyone else and therefore, be more powerful based on gear alone. Oh wait again, I think I just answered my question.

Logun.2349

Agreed.

Here is a question. Why was it rolled out without offering those other ways to obtain it? The exotic has all paths. This is a new tier afterall. So if you are trying to stay within your game framework, why only make it obtainable via a dungeon?

Oh wait, traditional MMOs do that. You can only obtain the top tier gear via dungeon runs. So if it was offered via the other methods now, would those that love this approach have really come back or played more?

And if not, will they really introduce the other methods anytime soon. Having it available via other means in the next 4-6 months is too late. By then, the people who spend a lot of time running dungeons will fully out gear everyone else and therefore, be more powerful based on gear alone. Oh wait again, I think I just answered my question.

I’m all full of predictions today, but I think it will come to light that the game is under new management or something like that. Eric Flannum and Colin Johanson must be out of the picture.

From vertical progression, to power creep, to player separation. To really dumb stuff like, placing mobs on platforms in dungeons in a game where half your defence is based on the dodge mechanic …. Or in this case they should call it the ….fall and go splat mechanic.

I’m starting to think they don’t ever play their own game….LOL

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Hello fellow players! We hope you all are enjoying the new dungeon and content area of Southsun Cove! We have added some events to earn karma which you will not need for the new gear, be sure to check out the new jumping puzzle, there’s a couple chest stocked with blue items! As some of you may have already seen, we have also included a new PVE rank for players to accompany the new content – The Elitist! As you race up the dungeon level ranks, players from the lower ranks will begin to hold you back, be sure to keep inviting high ranked players to continue your ascent into the higher rankings of the dungeon! First one to 100 gets an achievement! We hope with this new direction that players from other mmos will feel right at home playing Guildwars 2!

(Sorry I needed to get that off my chest somewhere… !)

Probably because they wanted to force people to play the dungeon for loot this weekend. Although you can make back pieces from the wishing well, I mean mystic forge.

I agree they should have added in all the methods to obtain the new items as they did with exotics. This is one of the great things about the exotic tier, you can go about obtaining them however YOU want. I’m not really expecting anything for wvw for quite some time now, it’s not a priority for them.

People will now see what happens when you add in a new tier of better shinies, the older content will start to get less usage.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I haven’t visited most of the old dungeons. Sigh. I thought I had time. I’m so disappointed that this happened so quickly after launch. Without a LFG tool, I might as well give up on ever seeing them.

Never fear. WoW has one and that means GW2 will have one soon. In fact, I bet it’s in late development as we speak.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Haha, everytime I make a thread where the title doesn’t directly describe the contents, a moderator changes it.

How do you moderate The Titanic? It pretty much just happens.

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

Same ol carrot infront on a stick. Finaly get my 3rd 80 and im ready to grind out some karma for gear and bam! This lost shore crap pops up and bye bye cursed shores.

Agree with the op 100% and yes this game is going in another direction it was going a month ago. Because of the direction its going im finding myself spending more online looking for better game for myself then actualy playing this now.

Enjoy your bait/switch hit n run game.

Posted by: Sion.1653

Sion.1653

The OP nails it on the head. This is precisely what is happening and what has already happened and what’s going to happen if Anet doesn’t turn around now.

Posted by: Mhyrria.4160

Mhyrria.4160

The OP nails it on the head. This is precisely what is happening and what has already happened and what’s going to happen if Anet doesn’t turn around now.

They won’t. They already had a set of plans to follow, adding more powerful infusions. Nexon saw it fit to make a cash cow out of the GW2, which is, imho given a few more months, could be sit side by side with WoW. With the lack of bug fixes to a whole lot of things, you can pretty much tell that they spent their resources on this update. There’s no way in hell that executives would retract this.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

They won’t. They already had a set of plans to follow, adding more powerful infusions. Nexon saw it fit to make a cash cow out of the GW2, which is, imho given a few more months, could be sit side by side with WoW clones. With the lack of bug fixes to a whole lot of things, you can pretty much tell that they spent their resources on this update. There’s no way in hell that executives would retract this.

Fixed that for you. Nobody is ever going to come anywhere near WoW’s success by coping WoW.

Posted by: Wreckdum.8367

Wreckdum.8367

Power creep doesn’t work when you only need one set of gear… You get ascended then you start running regular dungeons for the cosmetic gear… The same thing everyone has been doing since September when they already hit the gear ceiling. It doesn’t change anything. The game is still easy and short.

Rex Smashington – 80 Norn Warrior <Tyrians United Retard Division> Yak’s Bend
“That big kitten Norn with The Juggernaut”

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Power creep doesn’t work when you only need one set of gear… You get ascended then you start running regular dungeons for the cosmetic gear… The same thing everyone has been doing since September when they already hit the gear ceiling. It doesn’t change anything. The game is still easy and short.

What makes you think that ANET won’t add another tier of gear later ?

Posted by: Greep.6394

Greep.6394

This definition means no MMO has a gear treadmill and is thus a worthless term. WoW doesn’t have a treadmill because it has a bunch of armor which once you’re done grinding for you don’t need higher stats.

Which is all kitten. This is a gear treadmill. The moment you add one gear tier you’re on the treadmill. They can HALT the treadmill, which would be insanely unlikely, but it has started.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Mate, no one runs dungeons for cosmetic rewards. People want shinies with stats, not just shinies. How many people actually transmutate dungeon armours/weapons? Probably not much. Check how desolate are areas with old dungeons, they became obsolete. Yesterday I couldn’t find 2 people for arah and once I did they wanted to skip every trash mob so they left -.-

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Mate, no one runs dungeons for cosmetic rewards. People want shinies with stats, not just shinies. How many people actually transmutate dungeon armours/weapons? Probably not much. Check how desolate are areas with old dungeons, they became obsolete. Yesterday I couldn’t find 2 people for arah and once I did they wanted to skip every trash mob so they left -.-

Looking for a dungeon group for an old dungeon less than 24 hours after the game kicked off a new one-time event that includes a dungeon which is not only new, not only mechanically unique compared to every other dungeon, but which contains items that render obsolete every existing piece of equipment in their slot (along with materials that will almost definitely be required for making further pieces of gear that obsoletes the equipment in every other slot)… That might not have been the optimal time to be looking for an Arah group. Just maybe.

(The game has a problem with finding dungeon groups in general but that’s an issue of not having the proper tools to find and connect with other players; plenty of people do and will continue to do the older dungeons for their cosmetic gear – it’s just that now, nobody’s going to bother with them until they’ve finished running the Treadmill of the Month.)

Posted by: warmonkey.8013

warmonkey.8013

I was running dungeons largely for cosmetics.
Of course, no reason to now.
May as well just wait a month or two until you can get Ascended gear.
Sure they said it would be a slow rollout. They said a lot of things.

Frigi Dair — SoR Necro

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I was running dungeons largely for cosmetics.
Of course, no reason to now.
May as well just wait a month or two until you can get Ascended gear.
Sure they said it would be a slow rollout. They said a lot of things.

I share your pain. I wanted 2nd shiny set of arah for my new guardian but it might be a bit too difficult to do with everyone doing fractals.

Logun.2349

Posted by: xeph.8410

xeph.8410

+1, it’s almost like I fired up GW2.

Posted by: Caelos Silvermoon.2759

Caelos Silvermoon.2759

I certainly hope ANET is reading THIS particular post. OP is spot on.
I want to support you ANET, but you’re starting to make this passion…challenging and I mean that in an unfriendly way.

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Epic. 10/10

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

+1 for the OP. Are you listening Anet?

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Quality post!

Agreed with everything you said and you said it so well