The New Lion's Arch - Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The best part.

Well, in my opinion.
And that of a certain amphibian friend o’ mine.

Attachments:

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The best part.

Well, in my opinion.
And that of a certain amphibian friend o’ mine.

Oh wow! I almost forgot about the frog!

Will he ever talk in map chat? puppy eyes

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

I wanna play! but my client stay at 0 kb/s! I’m getting desperate

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Try this:
Put a shortcut to the client on your desktop (if you don’t have one already), then right click and choose properties. In the field called "Target: ", add this to the end of your file path: -assetsrv 93.188.135.37:80

So, it should look something like this: “C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -assetsrv 93.188.135.37:80

Not sure if that will fix it, but it fixed that issue for me once in the past.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I’m also really impressed with Arenanet’s representation of all people from all walks of life.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3aumel/first_transsexual_npc_in_lions_arch/

I sent the Huffington Post an email about GW2 being so inclusive towards the LGBT+ community because not many gaming companies include or represent everyone, and felt it was really important to say something really positive about GW2 because it’s well deserved. Whether something comes of it, who knows, but just thought I’d tell them how thankful I am.

Great job Anet – loving the patch and LA looks spectacular

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

Try this:
Put a shortcut to the client on your desktop (if you don’t have one already), then right click and choose properties. In the field called "Target: ", add this to the end of your file path: -assetsrv 93.188.135.37:80

So, it should look something like this: “C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -assetsrv 93.188.135.37:80

Not sure if that will fix it, but it fixed that issue for me once in the past.

It doesn’t work, it doesn’t even move lol. Oh well, it seems like i will not play today.

Thanks for helping though!

edit: i foung in another thread that was the IP the issue -assetsrv 194.25.94.170:80

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

(edited by Emtiarbi.3281)

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Was the Mystic Forge looking/feeling like a toilet intentional? Or is it some sort of easter egg? Being able to walk into it and what not, it was the first thing I thought of.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

agree…really nice aesthetic for the general architecture and a lot of neat additions. once again, your environment artists/devs did a superb job.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

When I loaded up the map I was in awe. It looks incredible and like a place I’d love to visit in real life and go vacation at

Doesn’t feel like lions arch at all though. Will take some getting used to for sure

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

I have to admit I like the original LA more. New one feels kinda empty to me, with less detail. Oh well, now to figure how the new traits….

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i am also having this problem after the 2nd patch (if there was one) i assumed thats what changed cuz i could play fine after the initial update)

Posted by: nathanjameson.3542

nathanjameson.3542

it’s a subtle nod to the “theme park” aspect of mmorpgs…walking around in LA felt like being at disney world again. i couldn’t find the Pirates of the Caribbean ride though, sadly.

the only building that seemed out of place was the lobster building, as it was not radially symmetrical (the manta ray fort is not as prominent). that’s really just more personal taste, however; and overall the city is beautiful, evocative, and terribly unique…three things GW art has always been good at

Karma Express – Norn Guardian commander

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

This is what happens in real life when you wreck a city that is a historical landmark in and of itself.
It’s poetic. But I do love how it looks now.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I hated the old Lion’s Arch because it was a garbled mess. Even the ruined one looked better. This new Lion’s Arch looks like a real city for starters.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I love it tons. I spent 13 hours today in it (minus a food break). I haven’t been this jazzed for exploring a zone in GW2 for a long time. Everywhere I looked there was something new while the heritage of the city remained.

Maybe over time as I memorize the city it will shrink in my perception, but right now I feel like ANet took a stick figure sketch and fleshed it out. The old LA was supposed to house 40K residents, but all we saw were scattered buildings feeling like a seaside resort for a few hundred guests. Now we have urban areas, we have commerce and fishers all over, we have armaments and solid construction.

I do find the new lighthouse a bit jarring. I felt like I was trotting up the Hirshhorn Museum spiral. Yet it suits as a strong structure with asura tech lighting, something Tyrians likely would build for the purpose. And an exposed spiral presents far fewer camera issues in the ascent

Oh, five of those hours were on the JP with guildies. We just finished! The complexity of LA’s roof system really adds to the feeling of a good scaled trade city.

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

I just want the NPC that says “BY OGDENS HAMMER” back. pls anet make my dreams come true

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

I love the new LA, everything about it.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

MUCH prefer the new LA over the old cheesy pirate theme park. and as much as i loved exploring the wrecked LA at first, it had to go.

well done, Anet artists.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Draxus.8570

Draxus.8570

new one> old. It’s Costa Del Sol (ff7!)

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The overall theme and design is nice, just not a good fit for LA imo.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Is this OP’s goodbye thread? It’s kind of hard to tell. They did state that they hate Anet now, so why stick around right?

Personally I love how Lion’s Arch evolved from it’s simple beginnings in Guild Wars 1, to what we witness today.

~golf claps for Anet~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: VitisVinifera.2834

VitisVinifera.2834

I wouldn’t know, now I auto crash upon loading in, can’t see a thing. This is locking my characters out of the game.

Posted by: Vilkata.4725

Vilkata.4725

I like it, though they missed an opportunity when they didn’t make a Sea Lion building.

Also the new Troll’s Revenge JP is crazy.

Leader of The Quiddity [Quid]
Everything is a Nemesis plot.

Posted by: fuzzyp.6295

fuzzyp.6295

Personal, I finally feel Lion’s Arch has returned to its glory from GW1. While the seafaring take was interesting, it was also pretty bland. It looked like a hobbled together mess, which from a lore perspective makes sense given what they turned Lion’s Arch into. But the new LA is just gorgeous . I think the new style is a great blend of the old, more traditional city look whereas keeping the seafaring style that the new pirate haven came to represent.

I know we’re all entitled to our opinions and I can totally see what you mean. It has lost a bit of its uniqueness. But I personally think Lion’s Arch has finally returned to the glory is should have always been. Kudos to the devs for the change!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I object to your post, OP. Not because of your opinion, but because of you directing hate at something because of your specific definition of art. I much prefer this look to the original Lion’s Arch and it’s ALL art.

I can’t imagine someone looking at this LA and not seeing something artistic, but I sure wouldn’t use the language you did to try to get your point across. Because it seems most people in this thread aren’t actually agreeing with you. Seems most people think the new LA is beautiful.

Also I don’t believe any city in the game looks even remotely like it. It doesn’t look like Rata Sum. It doesn’t look like the Grove. It sure don’t look like Hoelbrak. Nor does it look like the Black Citadel.

So if you’re talking about Divinities Reach…I can assure you it looks nothing like that either.

To me it looks like an island fortress. It reminds me of settings from Conan. While the ship architecture was certainly original, I don’t see it as more artistic than this, and I don’t see it as more beautiful.

Frankly, I never really loved the original Lion’s Arch, even though I did get used to it. I never really liked the nautical theme.

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

Yes, I think it is dreadfully bland.

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

I like the style of the new LA, the first one I found ugly also the destroyed one, which was more useful than the old one. Thank you for reopening the waypoint to the wvw-portals, if you just had kept the workbench/TP/bank in this area, then it would be perfect.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I just want the NPC that says “BY OGDENS HAMMER” back. pls anet make my dreams come true

Here is some thing to comfort you in the mean time.

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

Flattered, but nah.

Bland like like weak tea.

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Some parts look really nice but there are many places where i feel like i’m just running across a big plane without any buildings or people. It feels more open and empty than the old one.

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

the old one was indeed more original, but I love the new design, it reminds me of Gaudi a bit, love the wavy architecture. it looks surrealistic.

LOL! Yesterday I was thinking the same! I love the new LA!

Posted by: RollFzzlbeef.4092

RollFzzlbeef.4092

I dunno…..while I’m glad we have a new LA, this design isnt what we were shown in the art.

Where’s the massive arch with the lion painted on it? Why is the very icon of lions arch tucked in the back and out of sight by the wvw portals and not in the middle of the city? What on earth is this huge plaza in the middle of the city, and why is it completely empty?

Don’t get me wrong, I like the new building designs and the walkways, but I dunno…it just feels like I’ve stepped into a resort rather than a harbor for heroes if that makes sense.

Rip and Tear

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

The good!
The City is bright and beautiful.
Lots of hidden stuff to discover.
Troll’s End changed to something equally frustrating, but for good JP reasons this time!
Glad to see a dedicated BL and Guild Building.

The Bad!
While the destroyed LA had 3 city centers, (one for PVPers, one for Dungeoneers and one near the Mystic Toilet) this one for some reason has only one again!
It seems A-net is struggling to make bankers useful (despite crafting stations including a bank) and that’s more visible now as a bank is the closest thing to the Mystic Toilet.
Mystic Toilet Being away from the crafting stations, and so is the tradepost, that takes a few more steps that I would bother to take.
This looks less like a Pirate City and more like a Water Theme park!

The Ugly!
The biggest WOW moments with the old LA where:

• The moment I found the hidden Wispers base inside the rock behind a hidden passage.
  • The tents that looked like Waves.
  • The Ship turned into a bar/hotel being the tallest building there.

None of them Remained! Not even the Wispers Hideout that was spared from the destruction!
I would like to visit those again, even if it’s just as an instanced area during the old Personal Story.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

Agreed, love the new design. The lighthouse, the crabbuilding, field of the fallen and so many other things. Love the new design which is a perfect blend of the five races. And the little karka hunt mini game a nice thing to do when exploring the city. Love how you must spot them by listening :-)

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

I absolutely agree. Beautiful. Art department and people who made this map (the best in the game imo, and thats a lot to say, cause each map is beautiful) should win an award and win more money.

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

New LA is breathtaking and seems so spacious too. Also I loved the new jumping puzzle!

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Breathtaking work, truly. The old Lion’s Arch was a bit too “barnacles and wood-rot” for my taste. This clean alabaster aesthetic is a huge step forward in appeal for me. Could not be more pleased with it.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I honestly much prefer the new lions arch to the old one. As a central hub for pretty much all world trade and travel, it makes sense that the city itself would look upper class and rival the other major racial cities in terms of infrastructure, if not exceed them.

The old LA was nice but it didn’t make much sense from a practical point of view, given its purposes and place in the world. I mean, an entire city made out of old wooden ships is just a fire disaster waiting. If one person drops a match in their house the entire city could literally go up in flames and once the fire starts, it would be near impossible to stop. No wonder Scarlet had such an easy time raising it to the ground.

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

The new LA is a complete improvement over the old, which was anything but aesthetic, unless your desired aesthetic is “barnacle-encrusted rotting wood”. The new city is far more artistic, your high-and-mighty design sensibilities aside.

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

hated the old one, love the new one!!!!! awesome

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

There are a few of the old buildings and sights I do miss, like the lion statue, the high bow with the two stone lions on each side, the dive-plank, the entrance to the sewers (haven’t checked if the sewer system itself is still there) and some small fence I was always jumping on.

But overall I do find it a huge improvement as the original LA was sort of messy, it did grow on you but it was a mess nonetheless.

What I do very much miss in the new LA is the ability to get into all the new buildings.. All the thick walls are supposed to be building you can get into (as can be seen by the all the windows) but you cannot get in them.

I understand that creating that would likely have almost doubled developing time for LA but a main city should have most buildings accessible imho, in addition they could do some nice things with it. They want a living world, how better to do that by indeed having the buildings being real buildings you can get in and letting the NPC’s move inside when it is raining our at night.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

The old Lion’s Arch was the most imaginative and creative piece of video game architecture I have seen. Themed for a seafaring city, it being made of old ships hulls was a creative application of existing materials. While result was not always sound architecture, in that some of it would have been structurally unsafe, it did represent that video games can be a meaningful art form.

I know what you mean. I really loved the old LA. The way it is now is exactely the way I expected it to become and form my point of view it’s not the best one. Everything is so clean and perfect, it’s not a living city anymore but something that looks like thought out by cityplanners. It looks like a futuristic airport. But what do you expect from a city, built by an investment company (the Konsorium) from ready made pieces.

The old LA was Special it felt “real”. This one now is like any other gamecity, beautifull but replaceable.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The good!
The City is bright and beautiful.
Lots of hidden stuff to discover.
Troll’s End changed to something equally frustrating, but for good JP reasons this time!
Glad to see a dedicated BL and Guild Building.

The Bad!
While the destroyed LA had 3 city centers, (one for PVPers, one for Dungeoneers and one near the Mystic Toilet) this one for some reason has only one again!
It seems A-net is struggling to make bankers useful (despite crafting stations including a bank) and that’s more visible now as a bank is the closest thing to the Mystic Toilet.
Mystic Toilet Being away from the crafting stations, and so is the tradepost, that takes a few more steps that I would bother to take.
This looks less like a Pirate City and more like a Water Theme park!

The Ugly!
The biggest WOW moments with the old LA where:

• The moment I found the hidden Wispers base inside the rock behind a hidden passage.
  • The tents that looked like Waves.
  • The Ship turned into a bar/hotel being the tallest building there.

None of them Remained! Not even the Wispers Hideout that was spared from the destruction!
I would like to visit those again, even if it’s just as an instanced area during the old Personal Story.

The old personal story stuff is still the same in the personal story. Any new characters coming through will see the old areas.

Posted by: Shadowsrb.6241

Shadowsrb.6241

Like anything is good about this update,complete waste of time.LA looks like old folks summer resort,at least they could give us wheels to drive around.It looks as they wanted, as remastered 10years old design.MF is now like in middle of street ppl throwing dices…Personally i dont care,its not as bad as this fetish they have about messing with character skills.

Posted by: Moesmaker.9581

Moesmaker.9581

First had to pick up my jaw from the floor. This architecture is sooooo gorgeous! I love it!

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I am torn. For now I don`t like it that much, because it is just completly different from what it was before.

Don`t get me wrong. There is a lot of beautiful art there, however the more I ran around the city I asked a lot of: Why is that here? What is that supposed to be? Where is this? Why isn`t that here anymore?

This change is radical and nothing that has been teased and that disturbs me.
It is like two different cities and the things that are alike are very minimalistic.

I am never a fan of destroying the natural enviroment, so it really saddens me to see many mountain structures gone.
I am also sad to see many landmarks gone as well. The sea lions that greeted you.
The familiarity the old LA city had has been completly washed away.

I expected new structures, a shift to a new position, something that added to the city.
I did not expect a complete overhaul that basicaly created a new city.
They went to far in my opinion
Too much, Too quick and furthermore on a very unrealistic scale.
I am concerned on a story perspective. First we got a stretch of nothing. like they had no money or anaything and then BAM, a new marbel city, which looks like disney land.

other questions
- Where is the Lions Statue? The Original? Where is the fountain?
- Why are there no gates or doors at Fort Mariner? Isn`t this supposed to be a military place?
- Why is it build like disney land? Where are the Tea cups?
- Why are so little old parts reused? Not everything was destroyed.
- Why does the OoS have a direct tunnel to their headquarters and no simple hideout? How is this Secret when they run a bar openly. Sure they are in public view now, but there are some standarts.
- Why is there a “Data Dog” running around and teleporting?
- Why is the priory not having a better building to look at the ley line spring Scarlet dug? In extension, why are they still thinking about doing things, instead of allready be doing them?
And many more…

The city looks big, but empty. It feels like one of these great exhibitions areas.
Furthermore. It doesn`t feel like a city run by pirates, but the opposite. It`s like the navy got hold of it.

I bet it is the consortiums fault.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Never liked that old shabby pirate look. Nice to see a fairly modern, southern city – finally feels like the fantasy MMO style I prefer.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

pleaase uninstall this game if you get this up in arms about artwork of a city… I don’t login to this game (or any game) to stand around in a city, play dress up, and look at the design/artwork.

Wow, god forbid someone offer some feedback. Not everyone is like you, doesn’t mean you get to tell them what they can and can’t do with their game. Deal with it.

I know what you mean. I really loved the old LA. The way it is now is exactely the way I expected it to become and form my point of view it’s not the best one. Everything is so clean and perfect, it’s not a living city anymore but something that looks like thought out by cityplanners. It looks like a futuristic airport.

Maybe it’s just all clean now, and won’t be later on (if they decide to change things a bit)..?
I don’t know, wishful thinking perhaps.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

(edited by Blackworm.2167)

Posted by: Gladys.3542

Gladys.3542

WAs new LA inspired by this :P???

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1694844397_1/Free-shipping-2014-new-style-Beach-toys-quality-kids-education-toy-set-8pcs-set-the-most.jpg

and then but into this ?

http://www.plioz.com/wp-content/images/hexagon-sandbox-can-provide-funful-playfield-for-your-kids1.jpg

Nothing against playing in sand boxes (use to love it when i was 6 or 7) but i hoped for smthing epic like LoTR city’s but this biggest fail i seen entire gw2.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I like the new LA, it looks gorgeous.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”