The "Out Of Combat" Situation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

So there have been times where the following has happened:

1) Game does not recognize that I am out of combat leaving me unable to waypoint, have standard movement speed, and normal jumping height.

2) It does not release from combat quick enough, or this happens from anywhere between 10-30 seconds, therefore I miss content in the world (aetherblade events, etc, in the invasions).

3) The “Out Of Combat” scripting mechanism bugs and refuses to release from combat mode resulting in me having to log out and log back in again.

I truly believe that this is a “world polish” thing that needs to change. ESPECIALLY the last time. Sure I can understand it happening a couple times here and there, but when it is happening on a daily basis, it needs to be looked by the team. I have tried reporting it as a bug in game, but there is no category to report it under. This has also been happening for a year now.

Has this been happening to anyone else? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Has there been comment on this subject in the past by Arenanet?

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

It’s a fine line…. b/c the AI is basically global on this issue.

Making it too easy, would break a lot of dungeon fights where the Bosses were already “Reseting” way too easily just b/c someone stealthed or the primary aggro target got hung up in a weird piece of geometry. (or the boss itself even knock them off Sparta style)

KeybladeMaster.3148

Why should my character die or be inconvenienced because the game doesn’t respond fast enough?

KeybladeMaster.3148

see this is the issue i am talking about. i am in a jumping puzzle right now. and the game wont release me from combat. so now i cannot finish the jumping puzzle

KeybladeMaster.3148

AND IT HAPPENED AGAIN JUST NOW! this is ridiculous!

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Have you regained your senses yet?

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

Ill be honest here.

This was once a problem when the game released. This type of bug rarely ever happens to me nowadays and I am relatively familiar with the distance required for you to OOC.Very rarely the game will keep me in combat for a unusual amount of time but I usually disengage eventually.

Protip: for puzzle jumpers in combat, use Jump Dodge (Jump and dodge button pressed at the same time) to jump until you are ooc. Jump Dodge rolling speed and height is not effected by ooc or even cripple status.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

You probably have long lasting conditions on you, keeping you in combat.

I haven’t had this bug since launch period. AFAIK it doesn’t exist anymore. You’re most likely doing something wrong.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

KeybladeMaster.3148

i had no conditions on me at all. my health remained at 750 for 6 minutes because the game thought i was in combat still. my guildmate was a witness

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

i had this problem 5 6 times a month when i was playing

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

This issue notoriously occurs when using Stealth, which is ironic because Stealth should really help you avoid and escape combat.

It seems to be less of an issue in PvP and WvW too, but in PvE it’s really annoying, especially in Jumping Puzzles.

This really does need to be fixed.

If I don’t take damage and don’t deal damage for roughly 10 seconds, consider me out of combat.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Have you posted in the Game Bugs subforum? Because you are more likely to get an official response there, than here. Good luck.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I get this quite a lot too. C’mon GW2 I’ve not hit or been hit for ages and have no conditions why can’t I regen health or run fast now?

Posted by: bookman.9260

bookman.9260

best way to avert this is to just kill something really quick, it usually happens when you leave combat during stealth or a really sketchy situation and the game won’t let your drop aggro. Killing something or regaining aggro and dropping it is the fastest way to fix it.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Interestingly, I find that it’s not time from being hit by a monster, but distance from said monster that will allow you to drop combat. In other words, the monster that hit you that put you in combat is still close enough to register you as “in combat”.

Solutions:
Don’t get hit. This can be tricky if you’re trying to do it in a jumping puzzle, but it can be do-able.

Keep moving away from the monster. The suggested jumpdodgeroll can help, as can swiftness if you need to make a jump in a puzzle.

Kill the monster that hit you.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Wraith.7529

Wraith.7529

I have this happen allot. I have reported it many times with the in game support tool for bugs and it still happens. I have been completely out of combat and health will not regen, Swapping avatars will reset it but why should I have too, to reset my health after combat, very frustrating and is not fun. I have waited 3 min plus for it to reset at times and yes I move completely moved away to a safe area to try and have it reset , sometimes that works sometimes it doesn’t. I am curious how often the in game reports are review because these things don’t seem to get addressed, re-spawn rates in certain areas are another great example of this broken since launch and still not addressed.

Posted by: TexRob.5183

TexRob.5183

This is not an issue. If they shorten it, it further trivializes content. The whole concept of getting out of combat is easy mode. If mobs are still aggro on you, you’re going to be in combat, guess what, monsters don’t like you.

Go play Everquest for some perspective.

Tex Rob 80 War [RICH] GoM

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

One situation I’ve run across and reported involving this was a bug with rallying. My thief character, and only my thief, will go down and then rally very quickly, but the game thinks I’m still in the “downed” state. I wind up with full movement and everything, but permanently stuck in combat.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Tikky.6231

Tikky.6231

Has this been happening to anyone else? Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Yyyyyep. And i keep hoping they will address the issue.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

This is not an issue. If they shorten it, it further trivializes content. The whole concept of getting out of combat is easy mode. If mobs are still aggro on you, you’re going to be in combat, guess what, monsters don’t like you.

You don’t seem to have read this thread at all.

No-one is complaining about the length that you are in combat.

People are complaining about in-combat becoming bugged, and lasting longer than the devs intend it to. Which hilariously, was something people used to complain about in EQ plenty. EQ’s design was also absolutely appalling, and every game since has moved further and further from it (even DAoC, which was barely two years later had gone from sitting for 30 mins+ to regen to sitting for 3 mins or less – WoW took it down to 30 seconds). So you won’t gain “perspective” from that, just an idea of how incredibly bad and time-unfriendly EQ’s design was (I say this as someone who played EQ a fair bit back in the day).

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

Interestingly, I find that it’s not time from being hit by a monster, but distance from said monster that will allow you to drop combat. In other words, the monster that hit you that put you in combat is still close enough to register you as “in combat”.

Solutions:
Don’t get hit. This can be tricky if you’re trying to do it in a jumping puzzle, but it can be do-able.

Keep moving away from the monster. The suggested jumpdodgeroll can help, as can swiftness if you need to make a jump in a puzzle.

Kill the monster that hit you.

Yep, it does still happen, and the problem is getting hit by something you dont want to kill. Its especially annoying when you’re trying to rush past mobs to get to a Vista. Killing the monster is the easiest way to get you out of combat.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

This isn’t the whole problem. I’ve had what the OP has stated happen to me and still remain in combat AFTER killing the mob. This prevents movement through a jumping puzzle when you kill the mobs and the game won’t release you to jump properly.
It can’t be on purpose or ‘easy mode’ to remain in combat mode long after everything around you is dead.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Step one: Open options and click on keybinds

Step two: scroll through the list until you find “stow weapons”

Step three: Bind that to whatever key you prefer

Step four: Next time you are stuck in combat, press the keybind you created above

Step five: enjoy being out of combat

Works every time for me.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

This bug has been in the game atleast since the first beta.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Arkham Creed.7358

This bug has been in the game atleast since the first beta.

Lots of bugs have been in the game since beta.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I haven’t had this bug since launch period. AFAIK it doesn’t exist anymore. You’re most likely doing something wrong.

Actually, this never happened to me until yesterday, and I got stuck in combat even after:

1.) Killing what was attacking me.

2.) Trying to key out of it.

3.) Killing random things.

4.) Running halfway across the zone. (Slowly.)

5.) Completing an event on the other side of the zone.

The only thing that fixed it was waypointing.

So yeah, definitely a bug, and not a squashed one. Like I said, this was less than 24 hours ago.

Arkham Creed.7358

Actually, this never happened to me until yesterday, and I got stuck in combat even after:

1.) Killing what was attacking me.

2.) Trying to key out of it.

3.) Killing random things.

4.) Running halfway across the zone. (Slowly.)

5.) Completing an event on the other side of the zone.

The only thing that fixed it was waypointing.

So yeah, definitely a bug, and not a squashed one. Like I said, this was less than 24 hours ago.

Happened to me more than a few times during Scarlet’s invasions, so I can attest to that. Tell me, was the zone you were in particularly full? I have a theory that it is caused by server lag due to a large number of players, as it never happens to me in instances or less populated areas.

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Happened to me more than a few times during Scarlet’s invasions, so I can attest to that. Tell me, was the zone you were in particularly full? I have a theory that it is caused by server lag due to a large number of players, as it never happens to me in instances or less populated areas.

It was Blazeridge Steppes. I didn’t see a huge number of people, but there were probably more than usual because of Rox’s quest (which is what I was doing there myself.)

I do wonder if it was server load, though, because my server was doing Tequatl at the same time. I wasn’t in that zone because I didn’t feel like fighting him at that moment, but the server was probably still working pretty hard in general.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

The vast majority of my characters can get out of combat just fine. For some reason my Mesmer, and to a lesser extent my Necromancer, seems to get stuck in combat quite a bit.

The Mesmer problem for me is just odd. I can run past mobs all the time and get out of combat just fine on other characters, but my Mesmer gets stuck for an obscene amount of time over and over (and there are no illusions active). Just random times out of the blue, combat combat combat. A few times I had to just relog I was so frustrated. If a mob stops following you and you are ignoring it, combat should end immediately as there is no combat going on. It doesn’t always do that.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

You guys think that’s bad? Then you have not come across the monster’s out of combat bug, last time I soloed a champ in its spawn spot, got its hp down to 10% and all of a sudden it decides to turn its back on me, out of combat WHILE I WAS STILL HITTING IT and regen to 100% hp, all within it’s spawn spot.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

There are certain areas in the game where I notice this to be REALLY bad. One good example is around the SW heart in the branded area in whatever map that is (shatterer map).

For jumping puzzles (and indeed even vistas such as on those water platforms) keep in mind going up or down a certain distance you may not be going far enough for the game to recognize you are out of the enemy’s range. I have this problem every time I run past that krait champion in Mount maelstrom I think it is on one of the water platforms. I have to log out every time to get that vista.

Now for a tip: if the game wont break combat and you are sure you are out of range and sometimes just not even in fighting distance. You can sheath your weapon (set this up to Insert or whatever other key suits you) and there is a good chance as long as you are not damaging the enemy that it will break combat for you.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

You guys think that’s bad? Then you have not come across the monster’s out of combat bug, last time I soloed a champ in its spawn spot, got its hp down to 10% and all of a sudden it decides to turn its back on me, out of combat WHILE I WAS STILL HITTING IT and regen to 100% hp, all within it’s spawn spot.

Happened to me countless times. It’s annoying. lol

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Step one: Open options and click on keybinds

Step two: scroll through the list until you find “stow weapons”

Step three: Bind that to whatever key you prefer

Step four: Next time you are stuck in combat, press the keybind you created above

Step five: enjoy being out of combat

Works every time for me.

I run into this bug about 1-2 times per week. I usually just stealth on characters that have it, but I am SO going to try this out the next time it happens on my characters without stealth, THANK YOU!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Good luck getting them to see this. I’ve been complaining about this one for some time now. It’s just as bad as the ability for the PVE mobs that see me despite my being stealthed for an extended period of time and send spells and ranged attacks that hit me despite my being in stealth or using a cloak from a runeset. But they’d rather take stealth away by using ranger pets instead of fixing us outright.

The whole in combat status thing has been happening since December for me.

So there have been times where the following has happened:

1) Game does not recognize that I am out of combat leaving me unable to waypoint, have standard movement speed, and normal jumping height.

2) It does not release from combat quick enough, or this happens from anywhere between 10-30 seconds, therefore I miss content in the world (aetherblade events, etc, in the invasions).

3) The “Out Of Combat” scripting mechanism bugs and refuses to release from combat mode resulting in me having to log out and log back in again.

I truly believe that this is a “world polish” thing that needs to change. ESPECIALLY the last time. Sure I can understand it happening a couple times here and there, but when it is happening on a daily basis, it needs to be looked by the team. I have tried reporting it as a bug in game, but there is no category to report it under. This has also been happening for a year now.

Has this been happening to anyone else? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Has there been comment on this subject in the past by Arenanet?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Just had this issue during a fractal run. We had to jump off to reset the hammer in Cliffside and for some reason, even after the party wipe, we were stuck in combat. Fortunately one of the party wasn’t stuck in combat or we would have had to abandon our run.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

There are certain areas in the game where I notice this to be REALLY bad. One good example is around the SW heart in the branded area in whatever map that is (shatterer map).

Hm, really? It’s in Blazeridge Steppes, and that’s exactly where I was when the issue I mentioned above happened. I didn’t realize it was a bug known to that area. Interesting.

Paulytnz.7619

Hm, really? It’s in Blazeridge Steppes, and that’s exactly where I was when the issue I mentioned above happened. I didn’t realize it was a bug known to that area. Interesting.

Yeah I have world complete now on 7 chars and have seen this problem EVERY time in this exact area on every single one of those chars. I have sent in a bug report via the in game system so I expect it to be fixed in time. It’s just a matter of when is all.

KeybladeMaster.3148

since you mentioned specific areas, i wonder if the “not so secret” jumping puzzle is a specific afflicted area as well

Paulytnz.7619

since you mentioned specific areas, i wonder if the “not so secret” jumping puzzle is a specific afflicted area as well

Could well be. Anytime you are going up and away from enemies you usually have to go some distance to get away from them. A real pain in JP’s tbh.