Tachenon.5270

How odd.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

The Past is Painful to Watch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

I would pay real money to play the game shown in these videos. Is there any chance that it will happen? Perhaps a crowdfunding effort via Kickstarter?

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I would pay real money to play the game shown in these videos. Is there any chance that it will happen? Perhaps a crowdfunding effort via Kickstarter?

That is if only GW2 is the last game in the GW universe and the devs have moved on. I wonder what GW3 would be like 9 years from now.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: jkendt.7620

jkendt.7620

I’m confused as to what the difference is. Someone explain please?

Posted by: Carltonbanks.1754

Carltonbanks.1754

There is no difference

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

You can … its called GW2. What is the difference between what is shown in the videos and what you see in game?

- My graphics seem to be better than what is shown in the video (esp with sweetfx).
- The skills are all reckognizable and usable skills you can find in game.
- The mobs are all common mobs we can find in game.
- The areas seem to be random areas in game aswell.
- The camera is zoomed in o rout and shown at a certain angle to show the animations. But everything the character does can be done in game.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

How odd.

Yeah, when you sign in it will be a video of Anet explaining why the Ranger class has been deleted and replaced with the “Ranged Warrior”.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I thought it was funny/ironic when they released that trailer and some strange people were enraged by it because there was technology in a fantasy game. Then they realized it was a joke. Then they announced Engineer.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Well, the thief vid seemed pretty accurate, except the last part where the thief stealthed for much longer than 3 seconds.

Posted by: Amirah.1896

Amirah.1896

Man, after watching some of those videos, I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong. My elementalist was nowhere near as awesome as the ones in the video. She never 1 shot anything, let alone 1 shot three creatures in a row with 1 cast.

I don’t know whether to be sad or go make a new elementalist!

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

There is no difference .

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I don’t know whether to be sad or go make a new elementalist!

As a fellow elementalist player… it’s the first option.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Whiners gonna whine.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Sword/Pistol + P/P Thief is an absolutely horrible, disgusting and pathetic combination in reality. The video made it look like it’d be awesome.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Crazy damage poison??? Do want!

Bone Minion X3? Putrid Explosion 1 hit kill? Do want!

Grasping Dead shockwave? No recharge? 1 hit kill??? Do want!

Locust Swarm 1 hit kill? Dagger fireball? Life Siphon 1 combo kill??? What’s this I can’t even…

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Ah the wonders of editing, playing in lower leveled zones, and possibly dev powers as well.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I notice Meteor Shower had a knockdown effect on those Ettins. Well GW1’s MS had it too. And OMG, Staff Water #1 had a knockback o_O

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

(edited by MyPuppy.8970)

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I don’t get the point of the thread.

The game is what it is. If you have constructive criticisms to make, make them.

Otherwise you aren’t discussing this game, which I believe is what the forums is for. Saying you wished this game was more like this or that isn’t very constructive.

I will add this, back when I watched those class/skill videos I was under the impression they were actually gonna have a slanted camera view in-game. I would have NOT liked that at all. Also, when I see a game trailer, I never expect the in-game play to in any way be reflective of…a trailer.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

When I seen the commando page that day, I had forgotten it was April fools and called a buddy who also plays and said “Dude, GW2 just got killed by some new class.”

We were wondering why anyone would play anything other than a commando class. Just snipe everyone half mile away.

then I realized it was april fools.

Yea, they got me.

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

WTB gigantic circular super-Veil!!

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

The point of op (i think) is that many of these skills were much more powerfull in the beta then now, and basically while the game should be ‘more’ now (more builds), it’s actually less builds (cause of all the crazy nerf amounts).

And ofc, the few inconsistencies in the video with reality. Like casting 3x static field in row (wich insta kills mob lol, it doenst do damage).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

If Guardian Shield of Absorption only lasted that long…

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

The Ranger looked like such a “Team” player then, look where it is now.

I really like the Ranger video, that sold me the game, now, well…………

And to quote….

“Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows.”.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

Posted by: PhoenixDown.5467

PhoenixDown.5467

They need charrcopters to kill Shatter. Kittening noobs. I bet they wear PVT gear too.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Man, after watching some of those videos, I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong. My elementalist was nowhere near as awesome as the ones in the video. She never 1 shot anything, let alone 1 shot three creatures in a row with 1 cast.

We have been told then, that the mobs shown had their hps tweaked down to better showcase the skills.

Now, what is sad, is that the primary focus of the class seem to have been on Staff Ele.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Pushback on ele water first skill…. wow! Why nerf such a good idea?

Galtrix.7369

The Ranger looked like such a “Team” player then, look where it is now.

I really like the Ranger video, that sold me the game, now, well…………

And to quote….

“Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows.”.

Unparalleled archers my butt. Warriors have better bow skills and do more damage with a bow.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Those Video were made when the Manifesto was still in effect. Those are the original Guild Wars 2 videos.

What the game is now is Ascended Grind Wars 2. Different game.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

LOL I know right! Like the rifle on the engineer actually ever one shot anything in the launch. sigh. Much less the turret, you could set the turrets all on overload and it would take multiple shots and that would be if any of them survives any hits at all! Much less the main mine skill that doesn’t do hardly any damage but has a knockback and no slow effect even tho it would normally blow off legs in RL.

Oh and love the jump back on the glue shot, never happened either! sigh…

Try to one shot jump shot an enemy especially in Orr HA!

Oh oh and the piece de resistance was the single grenade throws…sigh. Back when grenades actually acted like grenades.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

What game is that? It looks so polished and fun! The class skills don’t seem to have an hour CD on each interesting ability. I can’t wait that play that game when it comes out.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

(edited by Nightarch.2943)

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

All the stuff getting one-shot in these vids are trash mobs. You can easily one-shot things with any class in a newbie zone if you are:

1) Level 80
2) Optimized for damage via power and critical strength
3) Fully geared with exotic equipment.

Some skills have different effects in terms of their parameters and on-hits. I really wish they kept Grasping Dead how it was, but I can also easily see how that would be an optimization issue when you have to consider up to twenty necros generating that visual effect at once.

I don’t really find this painful or wistful to look back upon.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

tigirius.9014

You can … its called GW2. What is the difference between what is shown in the videos and what you see in game?

- My graphics seem to be better than what is shown in the video (esp with sweetfx).
- The skills are all reckognizable and usable skills you can find in game.
- The mobs are all common mobs we can find in game.
- The areas seem to be random areas in game aswell.
- The camera is zoomed in o rout and shown at a certain angle to show the animations. But everything the character does can be done in game.

What I see is different:

~ my graphics are worse because culling was in the original
~ the game didn’t have a kernel memory leak like it does now
~ the skills are completely different have longer cooldowns and do less damage for everything other than warrior
~ the mobs never died this quickly cept in beta.
~ the animations are different and many of the skills act totally different (ie single grenades, mines that actually kill, instakill rifles and rifle turret on engineer, shield that absorbs spells)

tigirius.9014

All the stuff getting one-shot in these vids are trash mobs. You can easily one-shot things with any class in a newbie zone if you are:

1) Level 80

Some skills have different effects in terms of their parameters and on-hits. I really wish they kept Grasping Dead how it was, but I can also easily see how that would be an optimization issue when you have to consider up to twenty necros generating that visual effect at once.

directed at the one shot comment — perhaps warrior methinks?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What you see in these videos was talked about by Anet. They made it so you could see what the skills do. They used custom cameras and setting to demonstrate the skills. It was never meant to say that things would drop dead because you sneezed. If the game was like that, you’d play it for a week and you’d never come back, because ultimately it would be boring.

Those who have never been a position where they’ve had to create a video to demonstrate something that will later be in the real world are in error in thinking something made to show something off will 100% equal reality. It’s a skill demo, showing what skills look like and what they do. They’re in the game.

And every skill demo you see here is in the open world. Those who play rangers or engies…if you can’t cope with the open world, you’re probably not going to be very successful at MMOs in general.

Because the ranger is one of my favorite open world characters. And my engie with the bomb kit was one of my favorite farming characters.

All professions are viable in the open world. It’s the specific situations like dungeons that people complain the most about.

In fact, when I run around, I see tons of rangers in this game, no matter where I go. Someone must like them.

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

Seeing these makes me sad

I was SO STOKED for the game (hell, I would dearly love to play as a commando on special occasions too)

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s all still in the game. My staff ele kills ambients with the greatest of ease.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Just look at how epic every raid looks like in WoW’s video ads and then look at how they actually look like in the game.

Camera angles and setups can do wonders. If you really wanted to, you can recreate those scenes in the game right now, just angle your camera right, set everythign up and edit the video a bit.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I think the point of this thread (and correct me if I’m wrong), is that the game has take a huge turn from what it was originally intended to be since beta.

It’s not a matter of just those skill videos, it is a matter of the game as a whole. People are disheartened because the game they were sold, is not the game we have today. And for some, that is a bad thing. They wanted what was advertised to them, what they were sold on, what they saw in the betas and release. Not what we have now.

And it makes them sad to see what has become of what they once enjoyed.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

The skills were obviously overpowered for demonstration purposes, but other than that, no difference.

Xae Isareth.1364

I think the point of this thread (and correct me if I’m wrong), is that the game has take a huge turn from what it was originally intended to be since beta.

It’s not a matter of just those skill videos, it is a matter of the game as a whole. People are disheartened because the game they were sold, is not the game we have today. And for some, that is a bad thing. They wanted what was advertised to them, what they were sold on, what they saw in the betas and release. Not what we have now.

The problem is, the original idea didn’t quite work out. The game lacked stickiness.

Its a MMO, and the MMO crowd wants stuff to work towards.

Lonesamurai.4852

The problem is, the original idea didn’t quite work out. The game lacked stickiness.

you’re right, they do, however thats only because thats what they have been taught

why couldn’t GW2 be different?

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

For some, it didn’t work out. Otherwise, it was perfect the way it was for everyone else.

But Anet reacted to those select individuals and gave them what they wanted. Which in turn, ruined the game for those that did not want that. It was a complete reverse decision on how the game was advertised, just to appeal to the traditional MMO player instead of doing something new for once (like they advertised).

They could of stuck to their guns and said “This is what we are offering. If you want your traditional MMO features, go play your traditional MMOs. GW2 is different and offers you a different experience”. But they didn’t. They gave in, and made GW2 more traditional to appease a portion of the player base while ruining the game for those that wanted that something different.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

Xae Isareth.1364

you’re right, they do, however thats only because thats what they have been taught

Because then they won’t play your game. Its like going to China and telling everyone ‘why don’t you guys start speaking Japanese instead?’.

It doesn’t happen.

and @ above

Not quite. The gaming community was treating GW2 like a single-player game. You buy the game, get to 80, do everything and see everywhere, then you never log back in again.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Lonesamurai.4852

Because then they won’t play your game. Its like going to China and telling everyone ‘why don’t you guys start speaking Japanese instead?’.

It doesn’t happen.

Thats not the case, the MMO market is in a state of flux
The subscription model is dying, free to play is on the rise (and some would say destroying the genre), buy to play is what made GW1 work (to a point) although the end game there was PvP

Us gamers are now hard wired that bigger numbers means a sense of achievement, however this isn;t the case
Go play a real pen and paper game of D&D, a good GM will make you totally forget about leveling up and make the game and story fun, this is what ANet and other games companies could easily do and make leveling somewhat dissapear

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Companies really can’t afford to be the one that drastically changes a genre. Too much of their own money is tied into it for them to be counted on to take that risk.

The players themselves have to be willing to take the onus to change how they play their games. The MMO market seems unwilling to do so to any great extent. Arena.net tried, the player base wasn’t willing to follow, Arena.net had to alter their designs to fit what the market wanted.

Oh well.

Xae Isareth.1364

It doesn’t happen.

Thats not the case, the MMO market is in a state of flux
The subscription model is dying, free to play is on the rise (and some would say destroying the genre), buy to play is what made GW1 work (to a point) although the end game there was PvP

Us gamers are now hard wired that bigger numbers means a sense of achievement, however this isn;t the case
Go play a real pen and paper game of D&D, a good GM will make you totally forget about leveling up and make the game and story fun, this is what ANet and other games companies could easily do and make leveling somewhat dissapear

Yes, gamers are hardwired to see bigger numbers as an achievement, and that should be changed. The problem is, who’s going to change it?

Experiments are all good if you’re an indie dev with nothing to really lose. But when hundreds of people’s jobs are on the line with millions spent on developing a project, there’s only so much one can gamble. In fact, GW2 actually tried it. Cosmetics was the endgame, but everyone just said it lacked progression after 80 cos their numbers aren’t going up and left.

Its dangerous to try to change things sometimes and frankly, people may just not actually even want a change.

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

1) Level 80

directed at the one shot comment — perhaps warrior methinks?

I am a Ranger. I have also done this with my Necro and Ele. So…

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Galtrix.7369

What you see in these videos was talked about by Anet. They made it so you could see what the skills do. They used custom cameras and setting to demonstrate the skills. It was never meant to say that things would drop dead because you sneezed. If the game was like that, you’d play it for a week and you’d never come back, because ultimately it would be boring.

Those who have never been a position where they’ve had to create a video to demonstrate something that will later be in the real world are in error in thinking something made to show something off will 100% equal reality. It’s a skill demo, showing what skills look like and what they do. They’re in the game.

And every skill demo you see here is in the open world. Those who play rangers or engies…if you can’t cope with the open world, you’re probably not going to be very successful at MMOs in general.

Because the ranger is one of my favorite open world characters. And my engie with the bomb kit was one of my favorite farming characters.

All professions are viable in the open world. It’s the specific situations like dungeons that people complain the most about.

In fact, when I run around, I see tons of rangers in this game, no matter where I go. Someone must like them.

I like Rangers. I’ve played them since the beginning of GW1. I really like the playstyle, but the damage is just incredibly bad. It takes me 2 minutes to kill one monster that’s my level. I can two-hit the same monster with my warrior. I agree though, all professions are viable in open world.