The PoF Hero Point Dilemma

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DominiFactum.7103

DominiFactum.7103

I have 9 toons, all with a current HoT elite specialization. Now I need another 250 Hero Points per toon to add a PoF elite specialization.

I would like to make a suggestion that Anet add a one time ability to swap a Hot elite spec for a PoF elite spec for each toon that currently has a HoT elite spec.

This would be similar to WvW world ability reset offered to the WvW community when gliding was added to WvW.

It would certainly get me running in PoF sooner and give me more time to enjoy the game while earning the Hero Points needed to add an elite spec.

What do you think?

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Or get rid of the hero point grind and give elite specs to everyone who buys the expansion(s).

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

Hero points are part of the character progession. You can have over 350 spare hero points right now. There is no dilemma.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

Hero points are part of the character progession. You can have over 350 spare hero points right now. There is no dilemma.

except when acquiring said hero points are gated behind difficult group content or difficult to reach places which require gliding or navigating through multiple layers of map,

yes i’m talking about the Hero Points in HoT maps.

Then there is a dilemma which i’m sure i’m not the only person that has a problem with this. There is no character progression to be had when the character has such difficulty progressing.

I hope the same problem won’t be present in the new PoF maps, getting the new elite spec shouldn’t be such a chore to acquire.

(edited by AncientYs.8613)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I have 359 at the moment, how on earth did i get that many though?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Map completion.

I’m hoping that the new specializations are completely unlockable for 250 hero points like the HoT ones were.

Dante.1763

Map completion.

I’m hoping that the new specializations are completely unlockable for 250 hero points like the HoT ones were.

Really? if they are…well ill never have to worry about running out of them at least

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Map completion.

Really? if they are…well ill never have to worry about running out of them at least

At least on that character, other characters might not have that same surplus. Giving players a reward for map completion like quickly unlocking new specs would be a nice thing to do.

Pre-HoT, you could have gotten a fair chunk of the HoT specs done if you had a complete map. This time around Anet kind of backed themselves into a corner, though. Do they make it harder and make the dedicated player base angry, or do they make it easy and get a collective yawn as many people have it out of the gate.

Hopefully they choose the later and if people want to wait to “earn” it in the crystal desert, they can.

Dante.1763

At least on that character, other characters might not have that same surplus. Giving players a reward for map completion like quickly unlocking new specs would be a nice thing to do.

Pre-HoT, you could have gotten a fair chunk of the HoT specs done if you had a complete map. This time around Anet kind of backed themselves into a corner, though. Do they make it harder and make the dedicated player base angry, or do they make it easy and get a collective yawn as many people have it out of the gate.

Hopefully they choose the later and if people want to wait to “earn” it in the crystal desert, they can.

Yeaaaa ive stopped playing my other characters(i have 11 others) so…plus its making it easier to obtain the items i want for that character. I dont see the problem with it though, i mean the dedicated ones usually are the ones who stick around so its just better to make them happy.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If they reset it, people would expect that every expansion and they might as well simply unlock the elites through the story.

They made hero challenges in HoT worth 10 points specifically because they didn’t want you to unlock the elites immediately. They wanted it to feel like you were progressing through the expansion, just as you would gain new abilities through leveling in other MMOs. If they want to keep doing that however, they’ll need to move away from generic hero points.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

If they want to keep doing that however, they’ll need to move away from generic hero points.

Like the Mastery Points? Core, red; HoT, green; PoF, magenta

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Once it is unlocked it is unlocked. Not really seeing the problem here. Dwayna forbid we have to earn the elite specs through a little character progression.

If you are really worried then go WvW some proofs of heroics.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Play more wvw, you can buy hero points for every heroic proof (1:1)
If you, like me, don’t use them for anything else you can get a complete elite spec for just two weeks for casual wvw, which is like.. 3-4hrs a week?

Posted by: Neltisen.6891

Neltisen.6891

Map completion.

If it were like HoT ones, then it would be 2500 points to unlock spec, while you get 50 points per PoF Hero Challange (they ramped HoT points so that people with 100% completion won’t get full elite right away. They can do it again)

Play more wvw, you can buy hero points for every heroic proof (1:1)
If you, like me, don’t use them for anything else you can get a complete elite spec for just two weeks for casual wvw, which is like.. 3-4hrs a week?

It’s possible to get points from PvE casual play within 2-3 days (HoT elite spec 250 points take 2 hours or so)

Posted by: Marshall Sed.8643

Marshall Sed.8643

Originally, you needed 400 HP for the elite specs….then Anet nerfed that figure to 250.

Use the LFG feature for HP trains in HoT maps.

Problem solved!

Sorry…that was me….. :(

(edited by Marshall Sed.8643)

Posted by: Drecien.4508

Drecien.4508

Use proofs of heroics from wvw. Done.

14 level 80s All races/professions
Server-Blackgate, are there others?
Some must fight, so that all may be free. —Amora Soulkeeper.

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

except when acquiring said hero points are gated behind difficult group content or difficult to reach places which require gliding or navigating through multiple layers of map,

I’d say most people consider this to be part of gameplay. It’s better than handouts.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There are regular HP runs going on right now. I’ve chosen my alts most likely to first learn the elites and I’m joining the trains pretty much whenever I feel like doing one. Some commanders do it just to be nice, some ask for specified tips. It’s a nice bit of community as the squad jokes and banters and helps each other get to the various HP.