The Red Star in the Sky

The Red Star in the Sky

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sulist.2408

Sulist.2408

If Meteorlogicus is to prove anything to us, is that there is more than Tyria in the universe. Distant planets with distant mysteries. One of these I believe to be the red star, a unique dot in the sky I have for over a year now been observing with curiosity. I have patiently waited to see if anyone else would mention it, or it would come up. Alas, nothing. So here I am to present to you a handful of photos. A great red star, and a neighboring white. There are only certain maps you can see them, but you can usually find them on a clear sky to the South West region. Divinity’s Reach is a good spot point, as is the Gendarran Fields, and I believe some of the Charr lands.

I am sure that on a logical point they are just reused skyboxes with stars set around the sky, but I can’t help but wonder why this one is red, and why it too shimmers. Yes, shimmers. It tends to glow in and out, like it is pulsing. It’s what first caught my eye.

I’d like to imagine though it is something more. Maybe Anet will clue us in on the mystery, maybe they will remain silent. We can speculate. I don’t doubt due to my late night posting this thread may get buried, but I thought it was high time to bring it to light, if only for a while.

Attachments:

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Radio Isotope.3045

Radio Isotope.3045

This is very interesting. I like your speculation!

(TLE) The Legendary Eternum, Devona’s Rest
Guild Founder

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

It’s scarlets aetherstation in space. Coming soon in season 2.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Varakkys.2490

Varakkys.2490

Uh-oh. Threadfall incoming…..

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

That’s why the dragons are coming back. Fightin’ Threads.

The Red Star in the Sky

Radio Isotope.3045

Check this out, this is through the telescope.

Attachments:

Guild Founder

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It may be Betelgeuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse
The star is classified as a red supergiant of spectral type M2Iab and is one of the largest and most luminous observable stars.
Betelgeuse and its red coloration have been noted since antiquity;
In the night sky, Betelgeuse is easy to spot with the naked eye owing to its proximity to the belt of Orion and distinctive orange-red color.

This star is on the pathway to a supernova. If it’s close enough to Tyria, it will wipe out all life on the planet when it explodes. Causing the game to close down and forcing the Devs to make gw3, but on a different planet.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

The Red Star is the world of Aion.

The White Star is the world of Lineage.

That is my guess.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

That is my guess.

Worlds don’t shine, though. Their suns do.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Martians land with Tripods. It’ll be a 17 part LS where in the end the invaders all die because they are allergic to the pollen from the Pale Tree.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Some more pics from the telescope

Attachments:

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

That depends. If the worlds are fairly close to the world of Tyria (say… in the same solar system) then the reflection from the sun could very well make a planet look like a star. Consider Mars, which looks like a bright red star, but it only shines because it reflects the sun. Early astronomers knew Mars was different because it “wandered” about the sky. It changed position relative to the stars around it.

Also, visual flickering in stars tends to be caused by atmospheric lensing or other disturbances.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Commenters and TS have more imagination than Living Story’s writers.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

A red star that pulses? It may be related to Algol, aka the Demon Star.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algol

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: DONO.8760

DONO.8760

That is my guess.

They certainly do reflect the light of their star. Maybe the Aion and Lineage worlds are in the same star system.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Out of a realistic and scientific view, the most logical answer is, that a red star is nothing else, than a huge dieing sun, known under the term as “Red Giant Stars”

Stars are not planets, Stars are suns, whose lights that we see is coming form millions over billions of light years away from us.
This means, a light of a star that we see on a clear dark night, is basically all the millions over billions of light years old, until that light reached us and we saw it, because we saw at the right moment at the right time into the night sky.

http://www.au.dk/fileadmin/www.au.dk/pressen/Kepler/FIG7.jpg

Red Giants are dieing suns, who are at a very near end of their “lifecircle”, before they basically run out of nuclear energy and so nearer they get to that state, so bigger does a sun become , until the moment will be reached, where the Red Giant will explode, what will be then a “Supernova”

If something like a Supernova would happen for example with our sun of our solar system, it would basically erase us out and also planets like Mercury, Venus, Mars and very possibly also Jupiter could be just erased out, if somethign like that will happen in several millions of years perhaps with our sun.

The flickering of a red star comes from the huge sunbursts of solar activities of those red giants as they lose alot of “mass” when they burst out their energy.
After a supernova, will remain a tiny “white star”, a bright white pulsating neutron star, also known as “Pulsars”

This means, so more a red star is flickering, so more mass does the star lose and so more likely will it become, that the star will explode into a supernova, leaving at the end a neutron star (Pulsar), which we will see then as white stars, which “live” far far far far faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar longer, than red stars do, whats also the reason, why we see billions more of white stars in the dark nights, than we ever do see a red star.

The light of such a pulsar is also far more intensive and stronger, thats why we see it also over a much wider distance of undescribable longer light year distances, than that of thsoe red giant. Another reason, why we see nearly never red stars in the night sky.

To get to the OP’s topic, I strongly believe, thhis has absolutely nothign to mean and its as the OP says it self just a star sky picture without any meaning that players shouldn#t interpretate too much into.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

The Red Star in the Sky

Astral Projections.7320

Facts
1)There is a giant pulsating red star in the sky
2) pulsating red stars are Red Giant Stars which are dying suns, a future Supernova
3) if a Supernova goes off nearby it will kill all life on the planet of Tyria

The only possible conclusion is

GUILD WARS 2 IS DYING!

(Everyone may now panic and ask for a refund).

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Kilo November.4268

Kilo November.4268

Lavos.

/15chars

Brofist Maximus
[RISE]
Gate of Madness

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Xiem.4719

Xiem.4719

Lavos.

/15chars

Attachments:

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My thoughts exactly.

Living Story season 2 surprise plot twist – the dragons are actually here to save us from Thread. (Plus we all get our own dragons to ride.)

(Great, now I’m going to be fantasing about a Pern MMO all the way home from work.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

The humans of Tyria came from another planet somewhere (according to something I saw written somewhere…forget where.) This is most likely the system they came from.

Pern is a good idea as well. Explains all the grubs, which is why we don’t seem to have any Thread damage except for what they find in the forums

Level 80 Elementalist

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

It is the Doom Star.
Somewhere there are 5 chosen people who will use the power of it to usher in a new age.
Hunt down everyone that has bought a flute, drum, harp, bells, or horn!
The Dead Lights must not touch them!

If we fail, then Tyria will face something (guitar riff) brutal.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Where is this telescope you speak of?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Where is this telescope you speak of?

First path of the Arah dungeon at the end, when you beat the final Jotun boss you’ll gain access to the telescope.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

The Red Star in the Sky

Astral Projections.7320

Lavos.

No you are absolutely wrong. It’s a Sloar.

Somehow the Inquest cult, guided by Scarlet herself, discovered a way to lure a young Sloar from its home hell dimension into the sky above us. More impressively they also managed to imprison that juvenile Sloar within a ghost world pocket. Fueled by hatred, bile, and anger and assisted by mechanical monstrosities of Scarlet’s own design, this captive Sloar serves as the powerful guardian of the ghost world pocket dimension-aligning Orrian machinery.

During the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Inquest Supplicants, they will chose a new form for him, that of a Giant Sloar! Many Asura and Charr will find out what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

During the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Inquest Supplicants, they will chose a new form for him, that of a Giant Sloar! Many Asura and Charr will find out what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

(Applauds wildly)
Beautiful, just beautiful

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Ever play Zelda Majoras Mask? Ever look up into the Sky during the night of Day 1, and notice there also a red star?

Here’s your explanation:

Attachments:

The Red Star in the Sky

Sulist.2408

So to sum up so far from the posts above… Scarlet, who isn’t really dead (or transferred her holo-conscience) has used the power of a dying star to fuel a red aetherstation (cause… you know, she’s Scarlet) known as Doom Star. The new Destiny’s Edge will have to use asuran technology to breech the Doom Star by finding an overlooked weakness, while the rest of the races fight off Scarlet’s band of thugs.

“OoooOooo, Quaggan thinks it’s a trap.”

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Same as in Majora’s Mask. It’s actually “They” who invaded Romani Ranch.

Attachments:

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

What’s cool is that I get this reference

As to the OP’s post and pics… very interesting indeed.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

The Red Star in the Sky

Radio Isotope.3045

My thoughts exactly.

Living Story season 2 surprise plot twist – the dragons are actually here to save us from Thread. (Plus we all get our own dragons to ride.)

(Great, now I’m going to be fantasing about a Pern MMO all the way home from work.)

That would be cool, the dragons to ride. Maybe, a small dragon mount with no speed boost, could be sold on the Gem store like the Broom and Tunneler mounts.

Guild Founder

The Red Star in the Sky

Sulist.2408

Forgive me for resurrecting my old thread, but I was having a rest in the Heart of the Mists and I got a great view of the starry sky box and noticed that those two stand out very distinctly. I feel they MUST be something more, as I can’t find similarly sized dots in the remainder of the star filled skies. Color me crazy, but I really wish that this could be officially purged as coincidence or perhaps an artist’s eluding to some lore.

The thing that gets me if the fact the red star fades in and out very clearly. Oh well, this will be my last jab at this… maybe someday this thread will be referenced again in relation to something tangible. Thanks for reading, enjoy the feature patch!

Attachments:

The Red Star in the Sky

Sulist.2408

Sorry, that was the wrong one. The clouds moved in… here is a somewhat better example…

Attachments:

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

This is the star of the planet of the space goats.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I am shocked I actually understood the reference. One of these days I’ll need to reread those books.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I too have wondered about this mysterious entity, its next to a bright yellow one too if you notice, always next to a bright yellow star

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Oda Nobunaga.2395

Oda Nobunaga.2395

Listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RO7K4W-c9g as I read this thread.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

I…have a terrible urge to replay ocarina of time – time to head to the attic box of consoles.

The Red Star in the Sky

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

hmmmm………….

Attachments:

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

The Red Star in the Sky

Sulist.2408

I too have wondered about this mysterious entity, its next to a bright yellow one too if you notice, always next to a bright yellow star

Aye, I noticed. The two large stars. I only focused on the red due to it’s pulsing animation, but the yellow is just as distinct. I’m glad I’m not the only one who shows interest though. I’m a terrible OP in terms of fueling constant replies, but it’s nice to check in and see other player’s thoughts. I had to look up the Threadfall reference. I hadn’t read the books, but since so many seem to have familiarity, I feel like I should now.

Crazy new theory time!

The yellow star is the coalition of gods fighting against the raging remaining essence of Abaddon. Mostly because battles are always more battle-y in space.