The Return of Monks

The Return of Monks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

A healer class, like Monk, would allow the other classes to be much more focused and less “Swiss Army Knife.” It would be a major game changer in most modes and potentially a much needed shot-in-the-arm for PvP.

I dual main in GW1, Mesmer and Monk.

Currently, with the power creep, ANET finds itself in the position of needing pve situations to be harsher and harsher. This is offset by having exclusive areas such as Heart of Thorns and The Crystal Desert. Should this trend continue, it won’t surprise me to see players using nukes in the relatively near future. ( That’s a joke, but not by much. )

tldr: ANET, bring back Monk. This would permit you to create more focused classes that did not need to carry there own heal/condi remove/boon capacity. This would make creating traits and skills far easier, sinceyou wouldn’t need to roll those things into odd skills.

Besides, the Monk role is traditional in Guild Wars and a lot of fun to play.

Attachments:

Mesmerising Girl

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

GW2 don’t got bots it would have to be a good dps and healer – like ranger/druid combo
so not seeing the point in a monk class maybe a monk elite for guard would be good

The Return of Monks

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Saying “bring back monk” is not very helpful. You seem to want a healer, but how would a healer make its way through the open world to get to where it could help with challenging content such as Raids and Fractals? Or are they to be dependent on insta-80 boosts? I for one wouldn’t want a class dependent on other players in order to progress. There are an awful lot of players who run solo and/or don’t do content that would require a monk to back them up.

Also, while the devs (mostly) know about the GW1 monk, others don’t, so providing some insight into what you are asking for without comparing it to other games is helpful. So, if you’d said something along the lines of “I’d like a monk to heal but also with strong smite skills” and gave some examples, that would help.

Lastly, I don’t think it is a good idea for open world to be balanced around the need for a monk to complete it, not to mention what that does to WvW and PvP. Perhaps you don’t remember getting stuck at Thunderhead until a helpful monk came along…

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

Ah yes, the good old days of GW1 – spamming “ZM HM lf 2 monks to go” for 10 minutes…

No thank you – it may have been fun for the monks who were guaranteed a spot in any party but the rest of us? not so much.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Focus on old-MMO healer tyranny so GW2 could reduce its combat encounters to tank & spank?

No thanks.

I like playing my support characters the way GW2 does it. I can dps, sustain myself, and be a pillar for my team all at once, instead of playing HP-bar Whack-a-Mole with a stroke limit.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

To answer some of the concerns; Smiting has always been a thing for Monks. In fact, that’s one of the first missions for a new Monk, “The Blessings of Balthazar.” A new monk ’toon would find GW2 maneageable.

I’m not saying balance around needing a Monk. There’s content in GW1 that I have very little chance of accessing now because it was designed around a large party of human players with heal/support specs. Slaver’s Deep is a good example.

What I am saying is that a Monk class would permit the other classes to be more focused on there specific role. Right now, ANET faces the issue of shoe horning excess healing/condi removal into every class. That dilutes the classes and causes balance issues. A good example is the Warrior longbow heal combo.

Mesmerising Girl

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I like that each class can build for different purposes. I like that a warrior can be built for support. It’s what makes Guild Wars 2 different from the hundreds of other MMO’s out there that already, and continue to, offer the style of gameplay you’re asking for.

I don’t want content that needs us to focus builds about the trinity. GW2 moved away from that playstyle from day one, and it needs to stay well away from it. You have plenty of options available to you if that’s what you want. We don’t have that many options available that offer the freedom of playstyles (on one character) that GW2 offers.

So, I say no to this. As much as I would like to see the monk as a playable profession, I would not want it to be any more focused on healing than the Guardian can be, and i would want it to have the same flexibility that the other professions have.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

The Return of Monks

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

No thank you please, it only makes me sneeze, and then it makes it hard to find the door.

Not interested in needing a pocket healer because someone thought it was a good idea for ANet to reduce my ability to take care of my own character.

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Deadric.1427

Deadric.1427

Would love to see Monk make a comeback. That class separated the men from the boys back in the original.

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Artyport.2084

Artyport.2084

so many people are always gonna bash this idea..
Its mostly fanboying to guild wars 2 and the removal of the healing class.
I played the gw1 and I played monk.
Smite magic was the go to for soloing things and could be pretty effective.
I do miss protection magic! It felt so good to not allow my party to take damage at all.

I get guild wars 2 has different mechanics.. but I think if you really think about it they are all kind of broken at this point and make no sense.

They are building support classes but they cant really do it because support while doing damage is often overpowered.
Look at the scourge.. it will either be OP or Nerfed to the ground which is the constant cycle all classes go through.

I love this game. but really the combat system is becoming over saturated and messy and I would love for them to take some time and redo it.

combat needs a revamp. everything is too twitch to passive. We need cast times. Some spells should require you to stand still. Some things should be channeled.

Nothing feels BIG it just feels like we are pressing buttons.
I know skill is involved in things like wvw/pvp/high level fractals/raids
but if you are just a casual pvp guy you are likely just pressing buttons and dodging out of the tons of red circles the game throws at you

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There are multiple healer/support build options in the game now. If you feel the need to ask for the return of the monk class then you are perhaps not using the existing options. If you are not sufficiently interested in playing a healer/support character now then why would ANet take your request to add yet another option for that playstyle to the game seriously?

The Return of Monks

Posted by: dchsknight.3042

dchsknight.3042

We already have 3 solid healers in gw2. It is the meta’s fault that everyone and their mother listen’s to the “Meta” bull crap to think that there is any another classes besides Zerker and Condi.

The Return of Monks

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

We already have those options. Are you suggesting that the monk class should be significantly better at healing and support than druid, for example? When people are already trying to claim that druids are too good at what they do? And that content should be balanced around that?

Seriously, anything requiring even more healing would be a twitch content where if you blink in the wrong second, you die. Or your group dies, if you’re the healer. Practically, the only option from the old monk class that we lack is Protection magic. Which actually might be cool to have as, for example, a future guard healing e-spec, but is not something requiring a separate class.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

The Return of Monks

Artyport.2084

We already have 3 solid healers in gw2. It is the meta’s fault that everyone and their mother listen’s to the “Meta” bull crap to think that there is any another classes besides Zerker and Condi.

Having the class be support as its theme is the thing that is missing!
THEME!!!
ranger at is core is a bow animal guy.
ele- is a classic mage
guardian – is the closest thing that comes to that but is more paladin themed and not healing themed.

Monk would have its theme start off as support themed.
then could have an elite spec that is smite based and one that is more offensive support base.

The Return of Monks

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

To answer some of the concerns; Smiting has always been a thing for Monks. In fact, that’s one of the first missions for a new Monk, “The Blessings of Balthazar.” A new monk ’toon would find GW2 maneageable.

I’m not saying balance around needing a Monk. There’s content in GW1 that I have very little chance of accessing now because it was designed around a large party of human players with heal/support specs. Slaver’s Deep is a good example.

What I am saying is that a Monk class would permit the other classes to be more focused on there specific role. Right now, ANET faces the issue of shoe horning excess healing/condi removal into every class. That dilutes the classes and causes balance issues. A good example is the Warrior longbow heal combo.

I don’t know if I agree with this statement. There is a balance in having to have each character bring their own healing/condi/CC to counter the number of just offensive options they might bring. If you want to go straight offense then you are going to be lacking in other areas and should be more at risk. I say this from all three game modes. I think adding in pure heal classes would create more power creep that people often mention since it already be there but people need to have stun breaks in place in case, or cleanses/CC and such. In short, it is nice that people don’t have to wait now for a perfect group before doing anything and everyone has potential to solo things if need be. Just my 2 cents though since I know others that would love to just heal and would welcome something like this.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

The Return of Monks

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

A healer class, like Monk, would allow the other classes to be much more focused and less “Swiss Army Knife.” It would be a major game changer in most modes and potentially a much needed shot-in-the-arm for PvP.

I dual main in GW1, Mesmer and Monk.

Swiss Army Knife is a good descriptor of classes in GW2, but that is what they were meant to be.

As many above have mentioned, looking for a monk in groups was exasperating. People were tired of waiting and never finding a monk to complete their group.

I miss my monk too. I liked playing a support role and still do with my guard and druid. As much as I would like a healer class, I don’t think it is at all what the devs wanted for this game.

The Return of Monks

dchsknight.3042

THEME!!!
ele- is a classic mage
guardian – is the closest thing that comes to that but is more paladin themed and not healing themed.

then could have an elite spec that is smite based and one that is more offensive support base.

You kidding right? All druid can do succesfully is heal and support. That is what their class mechanic is all about.

One thing that I think needs a definition is “class”. A ranger is a ranger, but a Druid is not a ranger. They are a different class with a whole new class mechanic. The soul reason a druid was made was for support and heals. While they can do other things, that is not what they where made for.

Currently there are 18 classes in the game. 4 of them can heal pretty good, 3 of them are amazing at it.

We dont need a healing support class we already got 3 of them that are fantastic at it.

The Return of Monks

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

THEME!!!
ele- is a classic mage

We did, and still have a Support themed class…. the Guardian. And it was so good at that job, it dominated the meta (in all modes) until Raids forcibly shoe horned the need for higher sustained healing to counter sustained DOT from the encounters.

Even Ele, which had a specific support config, couldn’t keep pace with the guardians easy access to boons generation in a “Combat” configuration, before they had to reorder everything for Raid Comp.

The problem here is that you really don’t understand how these encounters work, if you think healing is a useful primary function in a game mode (Core Tyria) where every class has access to a sustainable self-healing skill.

This one trait https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Writ_of_Persistence used to be 2 traits that every guardian once took, making it the strongest passive healer in the game. The next closest competition would be Ele and Engineer, mostly because Water+Blast combos are stronger.

As for the argument of Elite spec…… Smite would be a core trait, because its from the original Attribute list of GW1. Smiting, Protection, Healing, Divine favor, and an invented 5th one that would clearly overlap with the Guardian, given Guards were based most heavily on Monks. Hell.. name aside, the Dragon Hunter’s concept of manifesting light through sheer conviction. Spear of Light, if it wasn’t part of Core, would had been the first skill added to that Espec.

But all of that pales in comparison to the reason Monks were scrapped….. Divine power, source of a Monk’s magic, is missing from Tyria, and is practically a Human exclusive to begin with. Guardians were a work around by combing the idea of martial disciple with personal conviction, evolving the Paragon model, to free it from godly sources of power. Take the concept of a Paladin, and allow it to radiate its power outward, and you have the basis for a Protection Monk. “Compassion” used to the be name of Healing power…. and would thematically fit a guardian who focuses on healing the wounded.

Its almost ironic that Revenant gains its power by channeling energy from powerful mist beings. Yet does so, not by devotion and prayer, but by enslaving them. The whole premise of the Monk neatly subverted, twice, in a way that allows them to confront beings they were once at the mercy of.

The Return of Monks

Artyport.2084

THEME!!!
ele- is a classic mage

You kidding right? All druid can do succesfully is heal and support. That is what their class mechanic is all about.

One thing that I think needs a definition is “class”. A ranger is a ranger, but a Druid is not a ranger. They are a different class with a whole new class mechanic. The soul reason a druid was made was for support and heals. While they can do other things, that is not what they where made for.

Currently there are 18 classes in the game. 4 of them can heal pretty good, 3 of them are amazing at it.

We dont need a healing support class we already got 3 of them that are fantastic at it.

Theme is completely different than mechanics.

A cloth wearing support character who looks to be weak offensively but is strong defensively is a character most of us who enjoy support have played in every MMO.

My point is not that the other classes cant do healing. its not that the druid is a great healing spec but while the ability to heal and support are in game. The feeling that you get from playing one of these archetypes is missing from the game.
Again guardian is paladin style.. and a lot of us hate heavy armored classes. I’ve literally tried everything to make my guardian feel like a cloth wearer.. but his most support weapon is a mace.. which is.. just not the feels people like the top poster are looking for.

For instance FFXIV has 3 healers.
Astro/White Mage/Scholar.
There is no class that has the same feeling as the above three classes.
and that is why BRING THE MONK BACK threads pop up all the time.

The Return of Monks

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

THEME!!!
ele- is a classic mage

A cloth wearing support character who looks to be weak offensively but is strong defensively is a character most of us who enjoy support have played in every MMO.

My point is not that the other classes cant do healing. its not that the druid is a great healing spec but while the ability to heal and support are in game. The feeling that you get from playing one of these archetypes is missing from the game.
Again guardian is paladin style.. and a lot of us hate heavy armored classes. I’ve literally tried everything to make my guardian feel like a cloth wearer.. but his most support weapon is a mace.. which is.. just not the feels people like the top poster are looking for.

Have you never camped water Ele?

The Return of Monks

dchsknight.3042

THEME!!!
ele- is a classic mage

If you want the monk… I want the Paragon and Dervish back…

The Return of Monks

Artyport.2084

THEME!!!
ele- is a classic mage

Have you never camped water Ele?

you cant do that if you want to play effectively. also its boring to camp one attunement.
However if they ever give us the option to just have to choose one attunement and gain weapons swap. I will be very happy!!