The Shatterer: MMORPG interview [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Or, now you are The Bomb!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/10478/Guild-Wars-2-The-Shatterer-Reborn.html

Along with the existing turrets and mortars, the vigil artillery line now also includes launch pads, where you get to be the ammo! These launch pads are a great way to get to the front line in a hurry, but for those who have Base Gliding unlocked, they will also allow you to deploy your glider midair, equipped with a Bombardier kit. This kit allows you to envision what life would be like as a B-52, raining death from above with volleys of bombs.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

Hello,

On the State of the Game 2016 blog post, it was mentioned that the Shatterer will be upgraded. Presumably, we can expect it to have much the same effect as Tequatl Rising did.

If so, Shatterer should be considered a “hard-core boss” at that point. Will it still make sense for it to occupy the same spawn times as before? Currently, the Shatterer event occurs concurrently with 2 Triple Trouble and 3 Tequatl spawns. That will cause players to have to choose between Shatterer and one other hard-core bosse at 5 of the 8 available spawns throughout the day.

Please consider removing the Shatterer from its current time slots and increase the hard-core world bosses current 3-hour window to a 4-hour window, 6 spawns a day.

Also, please do not forget to implement a guild spawn feature as with the other 3 hard-core bosses.

Finally, this will be a good opportunity to introduce one of the long-neglected legacy bosses into world boss rotation. Since the implementation of the mega-server, they have been largely ignored by the general world boss hunting community. Among the Dredge Commissar, Fire Shaman, Ogre Chieftain, and Eye of Zhaitan, the Fire Shaman, in terms of its combat mechanics, relative level, and proximity to Shatterer, make the Fire Shaman the ideal replacement for Shatterer on the rotation schedule.

Your reading of this suggestion is much appreciated.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’d be highly surprised if they weren’t already planning some changes akin to what you suggested, but I suppose it doesn’t hurt to make a post just in case.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Shatterer reloaded – lets wait where no men have ever waited before … yay

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

I wonder if the turrets there still kick you off each time they fire.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

i like it.

any chance to give basic gliding to f2p players?
or at least, allowing em to partecipate at the event somehow?

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

i like it.

I’m sure they will still be able to participate in the same way they currently can. Its not like they will make it mandatory to bomb him. Gliding will not be given to F2P. you get it with masteries and need HoT. If you want to glide buy HoT.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

i like it.

Non HoT players will need to be the ground support troops. They also serve who only melee. ^^

I suspect ANet would prefer to keep gliding strictly for expansion buyers since it’s something that provides a great incentive to go from f2p/core to HoT purchase.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I wonder if they’ll take Shatterer out of the possible daily events? At least until people figure out the new fight and can win it as reliably as, say, Teq?

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

That looks awesome. I can’t wait.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I wonder if they’ll take Shatterer out of the possible daily events? At least until people figure out the new fight and can win it as reliably as, say, Teq?

They probably won’t. From the sounds of it, it likely will not be as difficult as Teq. It will require more coordination and effort than people are used to doing for most of the world bosses but I see it as something people will be able to adapt to within a few days of release.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Good to know.

i can’t wait then

Posted by: LTREEVEY.2348

LTREEVEY.2348

Maybe (hopefully) it will be closer to current jormag and less like behemoth rework -_- … I’ll remain optimistic…dont let me down guys…please

#RastaSyl-Vari
#ShrubLife
#DoItForTheVine

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

f2p can participate apparently, you just can’t get the full experience without having HoT(hint hint, buy it)

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

i wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the new meta achievements be related to dropping bombs which might mean non-HoT players can’t get the backpiece. Hopefully Anet took this into account or I know a few people who won’t be very happy.

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

They probably won’t. From the sounds of it, it likely will not be as difficult as Teq. It will require more coordination and effort than people are used to doing for most of the world bosses but I see it as something people will be able to adapt to within a few days of release.

“Difficult as Teq” ?

Have you by any chance fought that dragon recently ?

LOL… gone are the days when you needed strict co-ordination by dedicated guilds to have any chance of success. People beat it with their eyes close now !

Speaking of which, and this is aimed at the Devs… ol’ Teq already has ready equipped launch pads located near where he lands. Any chance of us using them to bomb the kitten out of old stinky breath as well ? :-)

(edited by Hexalot.8194)

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

i wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the new meta achievements be related to dropping bombs which might mean non-HoT players can’t get the backpiece. Hopefully Anet took this into account or I know a few people who won’t be very happy.

They also can’t get any of the new legendary weapons, yet those also require things in Core Tyria. Consider the new Shatterer achievements to be HoT content while the Shatterer is Core Tyria content. To get the achievements you need HoT and you need only the game to fight the Shatterer.

Ayrilana.1396

“Difficult as Teq” ?

Have you by any chance fought that dragon recently ?

LOL… gone are the days when you needed strict co-ordination by dedicated guilds to have any chance of success. People beat it with their eyes close now !

Speaking of which, and this is aimed at the Devs… ol’ Teq already has ready equipped launch pads located near where he lands. Any chance of us using them to bomb the kitten out of old stinky breath as well ? :-)

Read my post again. I’m not saying that Teq is difficult. I was saying it likely won’t be as difficult as Teq.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

It’s either gonna be really cool, or another Frozen Maw type bullet-sponge boss.

Fingers crossed for it being cool…

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Teq isn’t easy, the thing is that players after a good while, learned all the mechanics and how to overcome it.
Have you tried Teq when it was released? It was brutal.
I expect Shatter to be about as hard as Teq. and also as rewarding.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Hexalot.8194

Teq isn’t easy, the thing is that players after a good while, learned all the mechanics and how to overcome it.
Have you tried Teq when it was released? It was brutal.
I expect Shatter to be about as hard as Teq. and also as rewarding.

It’s not just players learning Teq’s mechanics that has made it much easier. There is also the fact that the June 2015 patch increased DPS (both power and condi) by a exponential amount… essentially allowing teams to “out dps” all the more difficult counters by Teq (when last have you seen Teq even get a chance to raise his bone walls on a full map ?).

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

“, but the achievements draw attention to the different mechanics of the fight, and add a reward for accomplishing them. There is one exception, which involves questionable positioning at the start of the fight, but it’s hilarious, so we had to do it.

This, this is why i love Anet.

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

(when last have you seen Teq even get a chance to raise his bone walls on a full map ?).

the bone walls only go up when people don’t know how to use the turrets, not related to dps at all

Hexalot.8194

(when last have you seen Teq even get a chance to raise his bone walls on a full map ?).

the bone walls only go up when people don’t know how to use the turrets, not related to dps at all

Fair enough. But I’m willing to bet that even the old guilds that got really good at Teq pre-June patch, weren’t destroying his timer (beating him with 10+ mins left on the clock) the way even pugs are now.

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

Looks really interesting. Shatterer-themed backpiece seems like it might be pretty cool.

Hmm…I wonder if one of the achievements will be to use the gliding/bomb attack on him. >_>

Posted by: ArtemusHunter.9521

ArtemusHunter.9521

i like it.

I’m sure they will still be able to participate in the same way they currently can. Its not like they will make it mandatory to bomb him. Gliding will not be given to F2P. you get it with masteries and need HoT. If you want to glide buy HoT.

Gliding will, eventually, be given to F2P. Idk exactly where they said it(I’m currently looking for it and will edit this reply with the link), but they said as more expansions are made, the previous ones will become free – so that newcomers to the game are not stuck paying for 7 expansions just to catch up to the player base that’s been around for that already.

Which means gliding & other HoT Masteries will become F2P later on whenever the next expansion is created & launched.

IGN: Floyd Hunter
TheRavingNecromancer.tumblr.com

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

It’s not just players learning Teq’s mechanics that has made it much easier. There is also the fact that the June 2015 patch increased DPS (both power and condi) by a exponential amount… essentially allowing teams to “out dps” all the more difficult counters by Teq (when last have you seen Teq even get a chance to raise his bone walls on a full map ?).

I agree, but even before that it was already easy because players knowing the mechanics, later they allowed crit and doubled Teq’s HP but the end result was making it even easier.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Ayrilana.1396

i like it.

Gliding will, eventually, be given to F2P. Idk exactly where they said it(I’m currently looking for it and will edit this reply with the link), but they said as more expansions are made, the previous ones will become free – so that newcomers to the game are not stuck paying for 7 expansions just to catch up to the player base that’s been around for that already.

Which means gliding & other HoT Masteries will become F2P later on whenever the next expansion is created & launched.

I’d like to see that link if you’re able to find it.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Another event to run daily is always a good thing.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

i like it.

No … when you BUY an expansion you get all the previous ones for free.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/ “Business Model Clarification” on the bottom.

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

To much info, imo.

Posted by: Atlas.4509

Atlas.4509

Here is the snippet from the above link:

“In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

“, but the achievements draw attention to the different mechanics of the fight, and add a reward for accomplishing them. There is one exception, which involves questionable positioning at the start of the fight, but it’s hilarious, so we had to do it.

This, this is why i love Anet.

i guess its exactly the same thiugn like what they did with the Claw of Jormag, that you need to stand somewhere on the battlefield where the Shatterer will land once he arrives, just to be crushed by its huge mass to death …

funny, funny, super hilarious ….. uhm,. not rolleyes

If I am later right with this, it will show, how very obvious it was from the begin on…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

“In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.”

Yeah. Free to play will always be JUST the core game. When a new expansion comes out, they wont add old expansions to free to play. They never said that. One will ALWAYS have to pay for an expansion (the newest expansion) to get expansion content/features.

(edited by Rio.4259)

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Yeah. Free to play will always be JUST the core game. When a new expansion comes out, they wont add old expansions to free to play. They never said that. One will ALWAYS have to pay for an expansion to get expansion content/features.

They may split the F2P and the packaged game a bit though. I can see GW2 being on its 5th Expansion and the F2P folks getting up to Expansion 3 for free to just keep them interested and the gem purchases flowing.

What I cant still get behind is the price of HoT for what we got out of it so far. To many Gem store HoT theme’d items that should have been included with the base HoT game though collections or otherwise. Glider skins anyone?!

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

This sounds like a lot of fun.

Hope they add a sprinkling of Tyria Mastery points to this, say about 4 like Triple Trouble has.

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-new-shatterer/

All fine and dandy until this sentence: “With greater risk comes greater reward.”

Just once, I hope this means no RNG based rewards because if it does… well, let’s just say I’ve never received a Tequatl cache or mini or anything but that spoon in all these years of playing since that revamp. No more blues and greens from world bosses, especially those that require additional time to setup before the event. I don’t have that kind of disposable time to waste trying to have fun in a game. And, yes, good rewards for time spent is my kind of fun in a game environment.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Shatterer 2.0 = CC fest ….but I guess the whole HoT is CC fest too so it is ok.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Welp, can’t wait to launch myself at the purple crystal pain in the shape of a dragon.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

“The turrets do more damage and have a faster rate of fire to bring them closer to the effectiveness of the mortars. They also now have a second skill that creates a field of caltrops to cripple and bleed foes. Both the mortars and the turrets have crowd control on at least one of their attacks so they can contribute to defiance bars.”

Has the “kicked off after firing” bug that has plagued those turrets since day 1 been fixed? I sure hope so- it’s the leading cause of NO ONE EVER manning them.

Looking forward to the revamped event, though.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I was hoping for a Shattererer title.