The Ship tickets aren't very convenient.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

The captain’s ship ticket in it’s present state doesn’t feel the most convenient of items. While it is as item that lets you port to a convenient mini city in the sky. Should you wish to then deposit that ticket in your bank and change to another character. This character is kicked from the ship upon relogging. Meaning you will then have to run to the bank to reclaim your ticket every time you change characters. By comparison if you simply decided to log out next to a bank or crafting station, you will never have this repeated issue every time you change characters.

This seems contrary to the very nature of using such an item for convenience. Where exactly is the convenience supposed to come from? That you have slightly closer npcs? The grove actually has most of its marketplace, bank and crafting stations within roughly the same distance of each other. (Maybe a little longer for some npcs but it’s barely noticeable.)

While I find the idea of items like this intriguing, in it’s current incarnation it’s flawed and lackluster.

My suggestions to fix this:
Add the ticket to the achievement items so you can create a new one on demand. Very few people will buy more than one ticket anyway and this instantly solves the issue of people who ‘accidentally’ lose their ticket without having to visit the support forums.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the main convenience is being able to port to the Terrace or Airship from anywhere in the world. At least, that’s why I use it. It is especially convenient now that LA is no longer accessible in its pre-damaged state. For me, anyway. =)

Alice.8694

I think the main convenience is being able to port to the Terrace or Airship from anywhere in the world. At least, that’s why I use it. It is especially convenient now that LA is no longer accessible in its pre-damaged state. For me, anyway. =)

You can already do that anyway, the exact same way you did it previously with lion’s arch.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, you couldn’t. The pass allows you to port into the Terrace or Airship, without cost, from anywhere in the Open World. Perhaps, leaving out the ‘without cost’ part was my mistake. Sorry about that.

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

Before you could teleport to the either WvW or Heart of the Mists and then teleport to Lion’s Arch, so all the item does is save you 1 load screen. You can still teleport to the new place from the same portals anyways.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hang on, you can also travel to the Royal Terrace from anywhere in the World? I thought you needed to be in Divinity’s Reach first?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Nope. You can travel to the Terrace from anywhere in the Open World. That’s what makes it so convenient.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s just as convenient as everything else. You can travel to it from anywhere – you can travel anywhere from it – it has everything in close proximity.

But seriously, once the 1-use tickets I got as loot are all used up I’m going back to using the Grove which has always been the best map for this stuff. Bank, TP and Crafting all right next to each other. I don’t use the forge often enough, nor do I use the Laurel vendor often enough, for it to be worth spending money on.

If people want to spend money on it, then that is all cool with me.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It’s just as convenient as everything else. You can travel to it from anywhere – you can travel anywhere from it – it has everything in close proximity.

But seriously, once the 1-use tickets I got as loot are all used up I’m going back to using the Grove which has always been the best map for this stuff. Bank, TP and Crafting all right next to each other. I don’t use the forge often enough, nor do I use the Laurel vendor often enough, for it to be worth spending money on.

If people want to spend money on it, then that is all cool with me.

You can always hop into Heart of the Mist for the forge anyway and when you leave you are back at the same place unless you were in an instance before. At least until they remove it.

Edge of the Mist has the laurel vendor and you can go in and out without changing your location either. The only time that laurel vendor would be insufficient if if you wanted to buy the other infusions. Given cost and time gating that shouldn’t happen more frequently than once every 5 days.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Nope. You can travel to the Terrace from anywhere in the Open World. That’s what makes it so convenient.

Huh. I was under the impression that only the Airship Pass could do that. Well, consider me enlightened.

Still, it’s not going to be enough to make me buy it considering I can just go to WvW Borderlands for most of my banking/crafting/MF needs. Doing so has the added advantage that logging out while in WvW also puts you back right where you were, something which I’m pretty sure the Terrace/Airship can’t do.

Posted by: Intuos.3210

Intuos.3210

The issue is that ship is run down and rusty. It needs a HUGE cosmetic upgrade. I’d rather spend 1000 gems on the Royal Terrace if they brought that back.

Human Ranger – Crystal Desert

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, going to WvW is great, as long as there is no queue on your server. So, for many, that’s a viable option, and really better than having to either travel to a City or pay to travel anywhere else.

I haven’t used my passes to the Airship yet, because I’ve heard it isn’t as nice as the Terrace, which I like very much. Maybe they will change the Airship, maybe not. I think the passes are worth it, other do not. =)

Alice.8694

Is anyone going to actually address the points I made or are you all going to skip around the issue entirely like a bunch of Quaggan trapped in buyers remorse bias?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

What you describe is how passes have always worked. You get kicked out of the area upon re-logging. Only one character can occupy the ‘convenience area’ at a time.

Your suggestion is nice. Maybe, some day, ArenaNet will implement it, but doubtful any time soon. I am sure selling more passes would be more profitable than not, and it really isn’t any different than the Account-bound Infinite Gathering Tools.

Oh, and why would you think someone has buyer’s remorse? I love my Terrace pass. I think it is one of the better convenience items sold; in fact, my second favorite after Infinite Gathering Tools.

Alice.8694

What you describe is how passes have always worked. You get kicked out of the area upon re-logging. Only one character can occupy the ‘convenience area’ at a time.

Your suggestion is nice. Maybe, some day, ArenaNet will implement it, but doubtful any time soon. I am sure selling more passes would be more profitable than not, and it really isn’t any different than the Account-bound Infinite Gathering Tools.

I suspect they’d sell more tickets if people actually perceived the item as a convenience. Rather than banking on a slim hope that people who buy one ticket will then go on to buy multiple tickets to overcome this unnecessary issue.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

While I see what the OP is saying, I imagine it’s because Anet would much rather you buy a pass for each of your characters. It is a convenient item when you only have one character, and considering most of the items we have available to us seem to be designed without alts in mind, I would assume this to be the case here. As far as I can see, the nod to people who have several characters is to make this account bound rather than soul bound, but without necessarily adding in any change to the item itself.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Is anyone going to actually address the points I made or are you all going to skip around the issue entirely like a bunch of Quaggan trapped in buyers remorse bias?

Technically buyers remorse refers to remorse one has after purchase, if we had to label what I’m seeing here (and label it as a bias) then I’d say choice-supportive bias, which is the opposite of buyers remove where after purchase people are actually think their choice was just the greatest. If anything you have buyers remorse.

But yeah, must like many of the other convenience items, they’re intended for character not account convenience. ANet seems to have an interesting opinion of alts. Also probably hoping to sell multiple tickets to some users.

Alice.8694

Technically buyers remorse refers to remorse one has after purchase, if we had to label what I’m seeing here (and label it as a bias) then I’d say choice-supportive bias, which is the opposite of buyers remove where after purchase people are actually think their choice was just the greatest. If anything you have buyers remorse.

…This is why I shouldn’t post in the morning, good catch thanks for the correction. ^^

But yeah, much like many of the other convenience items, they’re intended for character not account convenience. ANet seems to have an interesting opinion of alts. Also probably hoping to sell multiple tickets to some users.

I agree, but then the level of convenience these tickets give a single character is very poor when compared to the already in-game free counterparts.
Hence this thread, really…

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

If your character holds the ticket, it is a free port to any city (in two hops), as well as access to all the critical hub stations in close proximity. That’s pretty convenient.

What isn’t convenient is transfering the ticket itself. That would be much improved if the airship was docked at Vigil Keep (with its bank) instead of above the refugee camp.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree with the OP. This is why I don’t understand either the appeal of the Royal Terrace/Airship or the rage on the forum over their creation.

As far as I can see any benefit over the existing systems (free travel via the Heart of the Mists or WvW or paid via waypoints) is extremely minimal and not at all worth the downsides (kicked when you log out, only 1 character can have the pass) plus the cost of buying a ticket.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I suspect they’d sell more tickets if people actually perceived the item as a convenience. Rather than banking on a slim hope that people who buy one ticket will then go on to buy multiple tickets to overcome this unnecessary issue.

Almost the whole game is designed like everyone only has one character. Not surprising that these items make the same assumption.

If they really wanted to allow all characters on an account to use it then it should have been an account upgrade and it wouldn’t even be an item. Just a button in a menu or window somewhere that you click.