The Temperature of the Six Major City's

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Evga.2471

Evga.2471

Have any of you wondered what temperature it is in the Major City’s of Tyria? Here are my thoughts on what temperature it is in the Major City’s of Tyria.

Lion’s Arch:
About 85 Degrees Fahrenheit (29 Celsius)
About 35% Humidity

Divinity’s Reach:
About 70-80 Degrees Fahrenheit (21-26 Celsius)
About 23% Humidity

Black Citadel:
About 48-60 Degrees Fahrenheit (8-15 Celsius)
About 0% Humidity

Hoelbrak:
About 25 Degrees Fahrenheit (-3 Celsius)
About 0% Humidity

The Grove:
About 85-90 Degrees Fahrenheit (29-32 Celsius)
About 45% Humidity

Rata Sum:
About 90-100 Degrees Fahrenheit (32-37 Celsius)
About 50% Humidity

So that’s what I think. I know some might be way off. Anyway I would like to read your thoughts on what you think.

PS: I hope I can get an ArenaNet person to comment on what they think. Might not happen

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Seems reasonable. Translation of the fantasy themed degrees to normal celsius is appreciated as well.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

As someone who works in a factory – Black Citadel should be one of the hotter and more humid areas (About 70-80% humidity, and 75-95*F – where it’s not 2558*F). Between The Searing (And Flame Legion attempts to keep rekindling it) and Charr industrial revolution, Ascalon has heated up significantly, increasing evaporation from the numerous lakes, and reducing the absolute humidity possible in the region. For the Charr homeland, what they’ve done to it can’t possibly make it very comfortable for them…

Divinity’s Reach and Rata Sum would be the most temperate places (DR because of the environment it’s settled in and RS because it’s so far removed from the environment it flies over)

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I’ll play along.

I’d imagine Lion’s Arch would have a fairly subtropical climate and be quite warm in the summer. The Humidity would be a lot higher than 35% given its proximity to the ocean. It can snow in Lion’s Arch in the winter given past Wintersday festivities but that snow may be purely magical in nature. I’d say it would be say 60s in the winter and 90s in the summer with humidities high year around.

Divinity’s Reach being farther inland would have greater variation in temperature and probably lower humidity than Lion’s Arch. It is still in Kryta which is fairly similar throughout so I’d imagine on any given day temperatures would still be within several degrees of Lion’s Arch.

The Black Citadel I imagine would be much drier than Kryta. Given how much drier Ascalon is from Kryta, the pervailing wind pattern is probably west to east which leaves Ascalon in the rain shadow of the Shiverpeaks. There is still plenty of grassland and some forests in Ascalon so there is still enough of a moisture source coming from somewhere. While it may be dry, it will certainly have humidity higher than 0%. Even Death Valley is higher than 0%. I imagine much of Ascalon to be hot and dry in the summer time, say upper 90s and 20% or less humidity, but quite cool in the winter with conditions maybe in the 40s and 50s and more moisture in the air.

Hoelbrak would be a typical mountain climate. Below freezing during the winter but given how close it is to green grassland it may have some melt and warmer temperatures in the summer. Cold air has trouble holding a lot of moisture but mountains also trap moisture so humidity could be moderate.

The Grove and Rata Sum are probably somewhat more tropical than Lion’s Arch and they are probably humid all year long. 70s-80s in the winter and 90s in the summer with humidity very high.

(edited by Boysenberry.1869)

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Rata Sum would be much cooler I think, simply because it’s floating pretty high up.

LA should have a higher humidity given it seems to be a pretty warm place next to a large body of water.

DR might have higher than expected humidity due to the large lake dammed next to it.

Dawdler.8521

Rata Sum would be much cooler I think, simply because it’s floating pretty high up.

I dont know what exact temperature it is in those fantasy degrees, but I do know one thing – it’s exactly as hot or cold or humid as the Asurans want it to be.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I’m sure Rata Sum is air conditioned.
unless asura are comfortable with heat
also it’s elevated by quite a distance

Also I reckon The Grove is much cooler than that as well. It’s well shaded by the Pale Tree, and imbedded in a mountain or something on one side, with the sea to the otoher side. And especially the lower levels, which are effectively underground.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I think they seem about right. I’d imagine the Grove to be hotter though. Exotic plants like hotter climates.

Seems reasonable. Translation of the fantasy themed degrees to normal celsius is appreciated as well.

Hmm what? Fantasy themed degrees? Am I reading this wrong or do you not know Fahrenheit is a real measurement xD

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Hmm what? Fantasy themed degrees?

He’s having a dig at Fahrenheit I assume.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Hmm what? Fantasy themed degrees?

He’s having a dig at Fahrenheit I assume.

Must be. We all know Lord Fahren discovered it. XD

Kitten.

Sartharina.3542

I dont know what exact temperature it is in those fantasy degrees, but I do know one thing – it’s exactly as hot or cold or humid as the Asurans want it to be.

Understanding the “Fantasy Degrees” is actually pretty simple. On a scale of 0-10, with 0 being “Coldest day of winter in your life” and 10 being “Hottest day of summer in your life” (If you live in a temperate area, or are moderately well-traveled), just multiply by 10 and it’ll give you a pretty rough estimate of the current temperature (With ‘room temperature’ being an average of 7, not 5. Oh yeah – and your body’s internal temperature is a 10. Water freezes at 3, and your fridge is a 4). American units of measurement only become weird when you try to precisely define them, because they’re based on rough estimates of natural measurements.

Dawdler.8521

Understanding the “Fantasy Degrees” is actually pretty simple. On a scale of 0-10, with 0 being “Coldest day of winter in your life” and 10 being “Hottest day of summer in your life” (If you live in a temperate area, or are moderately well-traveled), just multiply by 10 and it’ll give you a pretty rough estimate of the current temperature (With ‘room temperature’ being an average of 7, not 5. Oh yeah – and your body’s internal temperature is a 10. Water freezes at 3, and your fridge is a 4). American units of measurement only become weird when you try to precisely define them, because they’re based on rough estimates of natural measurements.

Wait, wait… What happens when you start to comparing different baselines, like races with different body temperatures? Or the fact that water freeze at different temperatures depending on atmospheric pressure? And what happens when the hottest day of your life is followed by an even hotter day?

This is more complicated than quantum physics. It would make an Asura proud.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Fahrenheit seems very strange and hard to make any sense of if you’re used to Celcius (which most of the world uses these days). It doesn’t seem to be consistent – the difference between 10-20 Fahrenheit doesn’t seem to be the same as the difference between 90-100 Fahrenheit.

Also I think the temperature in a lot of these locations would vary a lot. The Grove for example is, as someone else pointed out, positioned between a mountainous region and the sea (which would give it high rainfall and wind and make it potentially quite cold), but it’s also in a low lying semi-tropical region, and if the estimates that Tyria’s equator are just above Istan are correct then it’s not far from there.

Which means I could see it getting very hot and humid on the middle level, around the bank and TP but much cooler around the crafting stations and the upper level which are open to the sea.

Also I’ve always thought of Ascalon as having a climate similar to England (maybe just because the scenery looks similar) which would mean the temperature in the Black Citadel varies hugely – from -7 or so (Celcius) in winter to +31 in summer.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Sartharina.3542

Fahrenheit seems very strange and hard to make any sense of if you’re used to Celcius (which most of the world uses these days). It doesn’t seem to be consistent – the difference between 10-20 Fahrenheit doesn’t seem to be the same as the difference between 90-100 Fahrenheit.

That’s because of the nature of those temperatures. 10-20 is below freezing. 90-100 is close to human body temperature, and above ‘room temperature’, and the body doesn’t experience heat in a linear manner. The advantage of Farenheit (According to those who use it, like me) is that it’s a 0-100 (Plus or minus 10 degrees) scale that applies to most everyday things going through life. Comfortable temperature? About 70 degrees, or a “C” on a school test, or ‘Average’ video game score. Of course, body acclimation does throw it all out of whack. But still – 100 degrees is “Very high natural atmospheric temperature – hottest you’re likely to encounter in a year” and 0 is “Extremely low natural atmospheric temperature – coldest you’re likely to encounter in a year”. 100 is “Water Boils” in Celcius. But for ordinary humans, you’re not going to encounter “Boiling Water” temperature walking outside to get the mail or go to work. And while 0 C is “Water Slushies” – In winter, there’s a lot of days when you go outside to get the mail/go to work that the water’s already completely frozen solid.

Also I’ve always thought of Ascalon as having a climate similar to England (maybe just because the scenery looks similar) which would mean the temperature in the Black Citadel varies hugely – from -7 or so (Celcius) in winter to +31 in summer.

I imagine Black Citadel is hotter and more humid than the rest of Ascalon – even Smokestead. Being made completely of dark stone and metal and housing several masssive steel-melting furnaces does that to a place.

Posted by: Evga.2471

Evga.2471

Thanks for all the great thoughts/comments to my post. I thought I wouldn’t of got any.

The temperatures are mostly based in Summer.

Lion’s Arch I was thinking more like a beach with some humidity, not much.

That’s why I gave DR a temperature of 70-80F (21-26C)
The humidity however will vary like most places in the summer.

For BC I gave it that temp. since it’s relatively close to Hoelbrak. I thought it would be cooler but dry.

For RS and TG, since they are further south. They would have hotter temperatures and higher humidity.

Thanks again for your thoughts/comments on this topic.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

The temperatures in Rata Sum should be perfectly balanced and can changed at any time.

Back then, when I still attended the College of Dynamics, I worked on a Transatmospheric Converter. It is one of my best inventions as young Engineer in my vita. Was a great time under my mentor Blipp. However, that was years ago and the prototype was not as powerful as we wished and I ran out of funds, but it was still a great design and the plans and blueprints were stored in the libraries. Too bad the backups of the plans were lost or stolen and the patent archive in Desider Atum was set on fire by the Inquest.

Who knows if the Inquest just tried to make me think my plans were gone, maybe they were still stored and Grep, the clerk, just failed to find it. Or maybe one of the others at my college class picked up the idea. Changing the weather is a fascinating topic!
Apparently some other Asuran genius picked it up and developed it further with his or her krewe to not only control the weather but also the climate in a large scale.

The tropical temperatures in and around Rata Sum would unbearable when testing out my improved formula of the basic Charr napalm recipe for the flamethrower or under a gas mask and protective suit in the labs.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I loled. xD

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Given that the asura were an underground race, I don’t see them enjoying high heat very much. Rata Sum would be air conditioned.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

More like :

Lion’s Arch:
About 85 Degrees Fahrenheit (29 Celsius)
About 25% Humidity

Divinity’s Reach:
About 70 Degrees Fahrenheit (21 Celsius)
About 23% Humidity

Black Citadel:
About 80 Degrees Fahrenheit (21 Celsius)
About 10% Humidity

Hoelbrak:
About 25 Degrees Fahrenheit (-3 Celsius)
About 30% Humidity (it’s often snowing and snow is water)

The Grove: (near the coast, and it’s an undergrowth environment so it should be pretty cool)
About 75 Degrees Fahrenheit (17 Celsius)
About 45% Humidity

Rata Sum: (yeah tropical)
About 90-100 Degrees Fahrenheit (32-37 Celsius)
About 50% Humidity

So true :

Given that the asura were an underground race, I don’t see them enjoying high heat very much. Rata Sum would be air conditioned.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wouldn’t it depend on how deep their cities are? The deeper you go in mines, the hotter it gets. Deep mines are very hot and the heat limits how far down miners can go.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Zedek.8932

Yep, it really depends around the geographical situation, too. I think digging tunnels near an active vulcano is different than digging for salt in Siberia. But as already mentioned, Asura invented weather manipulators already, so it’s more like in a car: Permanent monitoring of temperature and when you get out of the car you’re running into a wall of heat (like driving from Germany over to Rimini, Italy. We went out of the coach and almost died from a heat stroke!^^).

When the energy level of my pretty capitol would collapse for whatever reason it’d probably take 1 hour to have the tropical humidity and temperatures spread all over the place. Checking the flora of the Metrica Province which looks like e.g. Thailand I’d guess that would be very close to that.

To me, Rata Sum also feels like it’s in a bubble or dome of certain sort. I haven’t checked for a longer time, maybe it even is.

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Is it a joke. What it was? :O I have never seen something stupid like it. Joke topic, but funny comments

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

Wow! People are seriously bored here.

Zedek.8932

Why is that a joke? I am pretty sure the developers and mappers first step is to set up a world with general ideas and core features. It would not make sense to have a desert town with sudden glaciers around. Flora and fauna (Snow Wolves in the mountains etc) is also connected to it.

Wow! People are seriously bored here.

You are bored enough to read and even to post. I am not bored, neither are people who give constructive ideas (unlike you, whoseem to be the bored one) I like the ideas and ways of thinking. It’s called “immersion”, and in times of stupid and cheap app store games and facebook nonsense, I really like this and how people back it up.

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yep, it really depends around the geographical situation, too. I think digging tunnels near an active vulcano is different than digging for salt in Siberia. But as already mentioned, Asura invented weather manipulators already, so it’s more like in a car: Permanent monitoring of temperature and when you get out of the car you’re running into a wall of heat (like driving from Germany over to Rimini, Italy. We went out of the coach and almost died from a heat stroke!^^).

When the energy level of my pretty capitol would collapse for whatever reason it’d probably take 1 hour to have the tropical humidity and temperatures spread all over the place. Checking the flora of the Metrica Province which looks like e.g. Thailand I’d guess that would be very close to that.

To me, Rata Sum also feels like it’s in a bubble or dome of certain sort. I haven’t checked for a longer time, maybe it even is.

They may have invented weather manipulators, but before these things were invented the Asura were living without them. If they were living deep underground without these temperature regulators then they would have evolved to be heat tolerant, and in that case the weather manipulators would be used to get the air warmer, not cooler.

ANet may give it to you.

Zedek.8932

The air might be as warm as usual. Air conditioning also includes humidity.
Also, weren’t they pretty crafty already when still under the surface? As quickly as they established their new lives above the surface I don’t think they started to use a hammer the first day they left their subterannean homes. Maybe the even used magic, maybe draining the power also had an effect on the weather. But that is already way beyond my knowledge.

EDIT: Also, do we know where they have been living before? When it’s next to Rata Sum, it should be toleration to cooler temperatures.

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Just a flesh wound.3589

The air might be as warm as usual. Air conditioning also includes humidity.
Also, weren’t they pretty crafty already when still under the surface? As quickly as they established their new lives above the surface I don’t think they started to use a hammer the first day they left their subterannean homes. Maybe the even used magic, maybe draining the power also had an effect on the weather. But that is already way beyond my knowledge.

EDIT: Also, do we know where they have been living before? When it’s next to Rata Sum, it should be toleration to cooler temperatures.

Yah. We don’t know how deep the cities were or how long they lived underground. I just wanted to point out that being underground doesn’t necessarily mean that the Asura were cold tolerant like the person I quoted above said. It could mean they were heat tolerant, depending on the circumstances.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Wind. Don’t forget the wind at Rata Sum. Have none of you ever been up on a high structure? Now go back and recalculate.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I think Divinity’s Reach would be cooler than The Black Citadel, since The Black Citadel has that massive junker’s yard with the lava.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

The temperatures in Rata Sum should be perfectly balanced and can changed at any time.

Back then, when I still attended the College of Dynamics, I worked on a Transatmospheric Converter. It is one of my best inventions as young Engineer in my vita. Was a great time under my mentor Blipp. However, that was years ago and the prototype was not as powerful as we wished and I ran out of funds, but it was still a great design and the plans and blueprints were stored in the libraries. Too bad the backups of the plans were lost or stolen and the patent archive in Desider Atum was set on fire by the Inquest.

Who knows if the Inquest just tried to make me think my plans were gone, maybe they were still stored and Grep, the clerk, just failed to find it. Or maybe one of the others at my college class picked up the idea. Changing the weather is a fascinating topic!
Apparently some other Asuran genius picked it up and developed it further with his or her krewe to not only control the weather but also the climate in a large scale.

The tropical temperatures in and around Rata Sum would unbearable when testing out my improved formula of the basic Charr napalm recipe for the flamethrower or under a gas mask and protective suit in the labs.

OMG
YOU are the one that caused the freak hail storm at my prodigy’s birthing day celebration!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Wintermute.5408

Wintermute.5408

Hoelbrak is waaaay lower than 3C. It has ice statues, and that probably means temperature never goes above 0C. As such, minimal temperatures would be roughly around -40-60C, fluctuating to maybe -10-15C during year.

Welcome to Rivendell, mister Anderson

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Hoelbrak is waaaay lower than 3C. It has ice statues, and that probably means temperature never goes above 0C. As such, minimal temperatures would be roughly around -40-60C, fluctuating to maybe -10-15C during year.

-3 C, not 3 C

Also -40 to -60 C is -40 to -76 F (for Americans). Hoelbrak is in the mountains, not the poles nor in the stratosphere. I’m thinking Alps.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I’ll play along.

I’d imagine Lion’s Arch would have a fairly subtropical climate and be quite warm in the summer. The Humidity would be a lot higher than 35% given its proximity to the ocean. It can snow in Lion’s Arch in the winter given past Wintersday festivities but that snow may be purely magical in nature. I’d say it would be say 60s in the winter and 90s in the summer with humidities high year around.

Divinity’s Reach being farther inland would have greater variation in temperature and probably lower humidity than Lion’s Arch. It is still in Kryta which is fairly similar throughout so I’d imagine on any given day temperatures would still be within several degrees of Lion’s Arch.

The Black Citadel I imagine would be much drier than Kryta. Given how much drier Ascalon is from Kryta, the pervailing wind pattern is probably west to east which leaves Ascalon in the rain shadow of the Shiverpeaks. There is still plenty of grassland and some forests in Ascalon so there is still enough of a moisture source coming from somewhere. While it may be dry, it will certainly have humidity higher than 0%. Even Death Valley is higher than 0%. I imagine much of Ascalon to be hot and dry in the summer time, say upper 90s and 20% or less humidity, but quite cool in the winter with conditions maybe in the 40s and 50s and more moisture in the air.

Hoelbrak would be a typical mountain climate. Below freezing during the winter but given how close it is to green grassland it may have some melt and warmer temperatures in the summer. Cold air has trouble holding a lot of moisture but mountains also trap moisture so humidity could be moderate.

The Grove and Rata Sum are probably somewhat more tropical than Lion’s Arch and they are probably humid all year long. 70s-80s in the winter and 90s in the summer with humidity very high.

It likely has summers hotter than 90 because even the North (think New York, Seattle, etc.) has 90 degree summers (edit I was thinking of high points not averages). Hoelbrak I see as a mountain town like Colorado. Divinity’s Reach is not that far north of Lion’s Arch, which has a Floridian vibe to it so we will assume it has Miami like temperatures. So Lion’s Arch would have good weather around the year except for hurricanes though the humidity isn’t to everyone’s liking. The Grove and Rata Sum I envision having temperatures similar to Mexico City.

The impression overall I get from the map of Tyria is within its relatively small window (we aren’t getting the entire picture and we still see the Crystal Desert further south of us and firmly in high temperature territory so we haven’t reached the point where further south equals colder yet in the game) the distance between Divinity’s Reach and Lion’s Arch as 650 miles give or take. The canonically the playable parts of the world are only a tiny fraction of what’s actually there lore wise and the distance between DR and LA could be even bigger than the map implies.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)