The Wolf's Guide to Getting a Legendary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

THE WOLF’S GUIDE TO GETTING A LEGENDARY

Welcome this guide will not be pretty and its not meant to be. The first thing you will do before you follow my advice is to watch the Wolf of Wallstreet. This will give you an idea of what kind of mindset you need to have in order to win this game. This guide exists to fulfill two simple purposes. A.) Make you filthy rich and get you a legendary. B.) Bring the kind of gameplay that guildwars 2’s systems currently promotes into question and expose the dire need for change.

I carry no responsibility for anything you lose while following this guide. Like playing with the stockmarket in real life, there are elements left to chance and a bad business decision can break you. You’ve been warned.

So, let’s begin:

FORWARD:

If you play the game the normal way, do all your map completion, RNG your way to a precursor, farm your own mats, etc; you’re not getting Skritt. You will have 3000 hours on your account and nothing to show for it. If you want to win, you need to be greedy and ambitious. You need to take take take and take. You need to play the market.

Your golden door to a legendary in less than 60 days is the TP. Here is how you win:

RMT:

Just like real life, you need money to make money. Gems to gold is an easy way to get there. You can easily blow 50$ and start your small fortune with about 300G. This is enough, when used right, to get you rich. This is the fastest shortcut in the game to get what you want.

INVEST:

If you want to win stop looking at Gw2 like a game and look at is as a Wallstreet simulator, because that is what it is. Anything of real value in Gw2 comes from the TP and you barely get Skritt from actually playing the game. Once you have money your going to invest, and your going to invest smart. When new weapon skins come out, BUY them ONLY after the first week (when they drop to about 50-70g and saturate the market). Then you hold on to them. BoE weapon skins are a good investment because they are released then never come back again. This makes them limited edition items and creates a market that is very easy to corner.

You wait about a month, until they go up to 100-200g in value. Then you SELL them slowly, one every few days to maximize profit. So in 60 days, if you turn and burn 3-5 weapons, you can potential turn 250G of investments into over 750g. That’s a precursor right there.

Weapon skins that are BOE and limited edition dyes are good to invest in. NEVER BUY ANYTHING OFF THE GEM STORE THAT YOU CAN’T FLIP ON THE TP. As long as you keep turning and burning while keeping a small fortune on the side to keep this going, you will never run out of money once you get started.

Look for high demand and class popular items that will flip easy, like daggers, swords, and greatswords.

KEY FARM:

You should have one free account space that you will use to roll new toon then complete the map on queensdale to get the free black lion key. After this, delete the toon and do it again. This is an easy way to make keys without spending real money. After some practice, you can clear queensdale in less than 1hr.

(edited by lordhelmos.7623)

lordhelmos.7623

EVENT FARMING:

When large scale events like battle for LA and queen’s jubilee hit, you need to farm. Zerg farming is a great way to get cash and loot boxes. Any rares you get you break down into ecto and account bound luck. Any exotics worth less than 3G you mystic forge for precursers. The mystic forge still yields the highest precursor acquirement rate in the game. Use mystic forge stones if you can.

To event farm the proper way, you need a level 60 necro with power gear (PVT, Knights, or Zerk). Zerk is preferred for maximum tagging power. This will be your event farming toon. Load your bar with wells and always join a party. Whatever your party tags you get to leech loot off of, which is good. Try to get party members that have lots of AoE (eles, rangers with barrage and piercing arrows, longbow wars, staff guardians).

Drop wells on mob spawns to tag them before anyone else can. Rotate wells and life transfer for maximum tags and use a staff to drop aoe marks everywhere. Every player in the zerg is your enemy, you want to tag as much as possible and kill everything before other players get a chance to hit mobs to ensure you get maximum rewards. Necro is the best class for this. With a necro and mass aoe, you can farm THREE TIMES the loot as anyone else. Don’t waste time trying to zerg or champ farm on other classes.

DUNGEON RUNNING:

Dungeon running is another way to make easy loot. You need a lvl 60 warrior or guardian (mesmer gets a worthy mention for portal and mass invis skipping), this is your dungeon runner because he will be invited into speed runs faster than any other class. Do only speed runs that take less than 10m per run, run easy dungeons. You want to blaze through because every second you waste in a dungeon, you can be champ farming on your necro or flipping the TP. Use all zerker. Only use your dungeon marks to buy cheap offhand fodder such as horns and focuses. Through them into the forge with mystic forge stones to grant you additional chances at gaining a precursor.

STOCKPILE MATS:

Stock up all your mats and daily crafting mats. These are capital and are your failsafe if you make a bad deal or fail at the TP (example: what happened to Jade Dragon Weapons when they suddenly price bombed due to unaccounted coffers in player inventories). If you spend too much to maintain your influx of cash, having a huge stockpile of T6 mats and ectos lets you dump this capital on the TP to get gold and quickly recover.

END:

So yeah, its not pretty but this is how you win. Do this and you will have a legendary in less than 2 months or less. Will you feel dirty? You should, but hey, this is the kind of gameplay and player types Guildwars 2 rewards. No other playstyle is going to get you what you want faster.

When you have enough gold you straight up BUY the legendary and things you want. No doing all the crazy stuff, map completion, getting gifts, collecting mats, etc. It’s a waste of time. You will have 3 legendaries with this method compared to the one you get doing things normally.

Attachments:

(edited by lordhelmos.7623)

Posted by: oliverstoned.2695

oliverstoned.2695

Sooo, when i have a legendary I’ve won the game? Didn’t know that lol.

Posted by: nibblesalil.3561

nibblesalil.3561

i am curious are you that bored you had to type all this LOL ?? curious as to why type this whole thing ? what for ?

if life is a cabaret old chum ………lets caberet

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Dungeon running is another way to make easy loot. You need a lvl 60 warrior or guardian, this is your dungeon runner because he will be invited into speed runs faster than any other class.

My Mesmer says hello. Warriors and Guardians are a dime a dozen. My Mesmer gets a lot of love for Time Warp, Feedback, Temporal Curtain, Mass Invis, and added bonus Portal. In many dungeons those skills are necessary for speed runs.

As for the rest of your post, I found it entertaining to some degree.

The Burninator

lordhelmos.7623

Dungeon running is another way to make easy loot. You need a lvl 60 warrior or guardian, this is your dungeon runner because he will be invited into speed runs faster than any other class.

My Mesmer says hello. Warriors and Guardians are a dime a dozen. My Mesmer gets a lot of love for Time Warp, Feedback, Temporal Curtain, Mass Invis, and added bonus Portal. In many dungeons those skills are necessary for speed runs.

You know, I thought about putting mesmer in there but there are alot of complaints on the mesmer forum about mesmer pve damage. That and the mesmer takes a higher level of effort to play.

It makes a worthy mention along with thief to portal/stealth skip content, but that alone doesn’t guarantee you a spot in a group.

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

Love it. So true. Nice disclaimer – the sad thing is most people won’t understand what you’re really saying.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You know, I thought about putting mesmer in there but there are alot of complaints on the mesmer forum about mesmer pve damage. That and the mesmer takes a higher level of effort to play.

It makes a worthy mention along with thief to portal/stealth skip content, but that alone doesn’t guarantee you a spot in a group.

Well, I’ve never been turned down. My point is Warriors and Guardians are all over the place. A standard pug usually has a few Warriors and Guards. If you want to stand out Mesmer is the way to go. Yes it takes more skill but once a Mesmer learns where and when to use their tricks in dungeons they are very valuable and highly sought after. The end result is a Mesmer can be a key factor in speed runs. I don’t even know how many pugs I have joined to see in chat, “Oh good we have a Mesmer!”

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

lordhelmos.7623

Well, I’ve never been turned down. My point is Warriors and Guardians are all over the place. A standard pug usually has a few Warriors and Guards. If you want to stand out Mesmer is the way to go. Yes it takes more skill but once a Mesmer learns where and when to use their tricks in dungeons they are very valuable and highly sought after. The end result is a Mesmer can be a key factor in speed runs. I don’t even know how many pugs I have joined to see in chat, “Oh good we have a Mesmer!”

Touche, added.

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Haha good post. Tis true.

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

Lordhelmos, what you describe sounds more like work than play (as in playing a game). Think I’ll pass.

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Not the point of his post lol. He didn’t say mesmerizing weren’t viable but that warriors are more viable. Gonna turn this thread into a “no! i’m a ranger and I rarely get turned away from dungeons” thread.

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Yo Lord, imma let you finish, but Dontain has one of the funniest crafting legendary videos of all times:

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Lordhelmos, what you describe sounds more like work than play (as in playing a game). Think I’ll pass.

legendaries aren’t meant for casuals, they were made for those of us who like to grind. There’s still the possibility for casuals to get legendaries mind you, just have to focus on doing certain things. “Work” is just grind that’s you find boring. That’s why you need to find the things that are fun to you and still forward your progress. hell it took me over a year to get one ONE legendary and I am anything but casual. It took me so long because I never directly focus instead I did stuff that was fun to me then got blessed by the mystic toilet.

The Sickest Guild NA

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I like how people do tasks to bore themselves in order earn ~10g/hr if they are lucky, rather than working a small bit of overtime which, while also boring, is a kitten site quicker than boring grinding in game.

Why focus being successful in a virtual world when you can be in a real world.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

INVEST:

If you want to win stop looking at Gw2 like a game and look at is as a Wallstreet simulator, because that is what it is. Anything of real value in Gw2 comes from the TP and you barely get Skritt from actually playing the game. Once you have money your going to invest, and your going to invest smart. When new weapon skins come out, BUY them ONLY after the first week (when they drop to about 50-70g and saturate the market). Then you hold on to them. BoE weapon skins are a good investment because they are released then never come back again. This makes them limited edition items and creates a market that is very easy to corner.

You wait about a month, until they go up to 100-200g in value. Then you SELL them slowly, one every few days to maximize profit. So in 60 days, if you turn and burn 3-5 weapons, you can potential turn 250G of investments into over 750g. That’s a precursor right there.

These are awful investments, so many people invest in such items to the point where it’s a waste of your time and takes too long to give any reasonable ROI. 1 month for 100-200g value increase? Care to take a look again – specifically at the halloween 2013 skins, 6 months on and they have barely moved.

This would have worked if you did these on the earlier weapons, but that ship has sailed and too many people are jumping on the ticket weapon bandwagon.

T6 is the best investment right now.

Dungeon running is a mediocre way to make gold too – especially if you don’t enjoy them. It’s only really a gold making method that should be adopted to those that enjoy – who are usually good PVErs and sell paths to produce much greater profit than simply completing the dungeon, while being able to run their favourite paths multiple times. Doing the standard COF → SE → AC → COE farm is a waste of time.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I KNEW IT, we were LIED TO, this is WALL STREET WARS2 not Guild Wars2. -LOL

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

If you want to win stop looking at Gw2 like a game and look at is as a Wallstreet simulator, because that is what it is. Anything of real value in Gw2 comes from the TP and you barely get Skritt from actually playing the game.

And this is the main reason I dislike playing this game nowadays. Diablo 3 tried to use the auction house as the main source for obtaining armor/weapons and it failed miserably. People hated it.

Change this, and Guild Wars 2 will be better.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

If you want to win stop looking at Gw2 like a game and look at is as a Wallstreet simulator, because that is what it is. Anything of real value in Gw2 comes from the TP and you barely get Skritt from actually playing the game.

And this is the main reason I dislike playing this game nowadays. Diablo 3 tried to use the auction house as the main source for obtaining armor/weapons and it failed miserably. People hated it.

Change this, and Guild Wars 2 will be better.

I say NERF THE TP.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

So your guide is to farm just like everyone has been farming for the last year? How groundbreaking….

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’m surprised no one mentioned that speedrunning/tagging zergs with a level 60 character is pretty darn ineffective.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Darkhayle.2473

Darkhayle.2473

I’d also say that elementalists are also pretty vital in speedrunning dungeons because they can up party dps majorly with scepter/dagger might stacking. Zerk eles also have fantastic dps in general. also, FGS and ice bow ftw

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

INVEST:

Brilliant simply brilliant…..

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Warrior / thief combo can stack might easily too and thief has even better dps.

Dungeons are ok for G but only COF P1 because its so short and SE P1/P3 (relatively short and many champ boxes). You need tokens for exos to salvage and you might get lucky and get the inscriptions (tip: Knights and Berserker’s insignia go for the most G) and you probably need the Globs of dark matter + ectos as well.

If you want to farm T6 mats, rares and G, best events are Assault Arah and Temple of Melandru. You only hope there arent lots of players that have super DPS which prevents you from tagging – in my experience it happens quite a lot at Arah. At least in temple of Melandru, the number of mobs and spawn rate scale better with the number of players and during the defend the interrupter phase this will increase the number of champ spiders spawned.

Then again post Apr 15 this may not be the case and devs have indicated nerfing loot drops and / or distributing more evenly throughout the other maps. Devs in Anet, better loot otl : 3

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

Yo Lord, imma let you finish, but Dontain has one of the funniest crafting legendary videos of all times:

That was indeed pretty hilarious, especially the WvW part

Professional noob guardian

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Clearing Queensdale to farm keys? Doh, you need to google key farming better.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

flipping TP is the only way to earn money, if enough people do it we will reach a state in which no more gold is ever created in the game.

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

Khal Drogo.9631

flipping TP is the only way to earn money, if enough people do it we will reach a state in which no more gold is ever created in the game.

Well Anet could just pump in G by buying stuff from TPers then.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Only do dungeons that are less than 10min? lol so I guess a 15-20min arah path is not profitable.

Also, no love for ele and thief?

Khal Drogo.9631

Only do dungeons that are less than 10min? lol so I guess a 15-20min arah path is not profitable.

Its profitable only for non pugs and arah super vets + selling of spots to noobs/nubs.

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

Its profitable only for non pugs and arah super vets + selling of spots to noobs/nubs.

or just solo P4 in 20 min and sell the spots at 9g each, instant 102g/hour profit

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

It’s faster than having to do 3 “below 10min” dungeon runs, so it’s profitable even if you don’t solo and sell. That being said, it was more to say 10min is a ridiculous time. In PUG runs almost everything aside from COF p1 and SE p1 will take longer than that.

Posted by: Stroft.1290

Stroft.1290

Wow, using this method i’ve gone from a measly 12g to a whopping 13g in under 2 hours!! Thank you !!

Khal Drogo.9631

or just solo P4 in 20 min and sell the spots at 9g each, instant 102g/hour profit

Everyone should do this.

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

legendaries aren’t meant for casuals, they were made for those of us who like to grind. There’s still the possibility for casuals to get legendaries mind you, just have to focus on doing certain things. “Work” is just grind that’s you find boring. That’s why you need to find the things that are fun to you and still forward your progress. hell it took me over a year to get one ONE legendary and I am anything but casual. It took me so long because I never directly focus instead I did stuff that was fun to me then got blessed by the mystic toilet.

However this is more than simply grinding (I do my share of that). This is treating GW2 much more like a job and a hobby/pass time/recreation. I already have one of those (jobs) and don’t need to come home to a 2nd job. As for legendaries, I guess having them doesn’t motivate me enough to turn this into work.

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

Thats the point though, if you really want that legendary you’d better treat it as the job it is. When i made kudzu the ember farm and the scarlet events were still running and i was farming those things every spare minute i had to get that kudzu. 3 weeks it took from having nothing but a pile of karma. You need to have that grim determination to pull it off.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Lol nice, this was much better than the bobbleheads.

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

I understand all of these principles.

But I don’t follow them.

I don’t have the patience to wait on markets to change. When I want something I want it NOW.

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

i highly suggest deleting the Key farming method ~ i don’t want anet to nerf it

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

Actually, this one is well known to ANet. There were even discussions with several devs whether this is an exploit or not, so I guess deleting it from this thread now is about… 1 year? too late…

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Actually, this one is well known to ANet. There were even discussions with several devs whether this is an exploit or not, so I guess deleting it from this thread now is about… 1 year? too late…

The thing is he has you clearing Queensdale map for keys – which does NOT always give you a key. It’s a random drop for clearing ANY map. I think he confused map clear possible key rewards with the actual way of farming which is via Personal Stories.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

-snip-

-snip-

The thing is he has you clearing Queensdale map for keys – which does NOT always give you a key. It’s a random drop for clearing ANY map. I think he confused map clear possible key rewards with the actual way of farming which is via Personal Stories.

I don’t know if Klonex was referring to the original post (clearing Queensdale) or to your reply with hints to the actual key farming method as it is known to most of us. I was referring to the latter. However I’m quite sure both methods are known to ANet.

That the one with clearing a map isn’t the fastest, is another story…

Posted by: skorpia.2041

skorpia.2041

omg, that guide……

1- invest real money? what the hell!! if you need invest real money to win from 300 to 750 g in 2 months…. you playing it sooo bad, and so slowly. at begining of game, i made one of the first “vision of the mist” in 1 week, only had 4 gold, take me a few days investing this 4 gold to get the 100g needed for it, just buying items, crafting, selling it, buying items, craft , sell +, buy+ …. you understand?

2- speedrun with lvl 60 mesm/guard/warr? lol, never!!! only lvl 80 full equiped will be able to do real speedruns, if not, you wasting your time and others.

difference about dung and play AH, its that if you have your own dung runners team it will be a gold factory. in fact you can do speedruns/speedclears of every dung/day and get a legendary in less than a month.

AC 1+2+3 = 35 min
CM 1+2+3 =30-35 min
TA up+fw = 25min or less (7from up, 15 fw)
SE 1+3 =25 min
COF 1+2 =20-25 min
COE 1+2+3 = 50 min
HOTW 1+2+3 = 45 min
Arah 1+2+3 =1h20-1h30

i repeat, the only way to get it its to have your own team, no need to ask for a combo,teamm play, coordination, full dung might stack , full bloodlust, no healings, reflects, aegis —→ delete mobs.

lot of dung = lot of money lot of items to savage/selllot of tokens than can invest on mf with exotics or savage for ectos/insignias + lot skill points.

if you add world eventes like wurm+tequatl you will get extra gold+karma+granted rares+ especial drop to sell+ lot of items.

thats the better trick to do a legendary, in fact, takes me a month to get one doing it, have 11 atm and close to get the 12th

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

The fastest way to get a legendary? Get a real job and buy one off the TP with the money you make. Sad but true.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

May i say time of speedruns seems impossible to me.

TA expecially…i get the fact speedruns doesn t consider unskippable dialogues, loading and stuff, unfortunately when you consider gold per hour they almost double time required for dungeons.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.