The Zerker Games! (Shatterer Suggestion)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coopziana.1802

Coopziana.1802

I’m gonna get straight to the point! So forgive me if it seems blunt!

It seems to me that the way Champion and Legendary enemy stats are being built is simply to give them a very high amount of HP, combine that with a timer in which you are given to complete the “Event” by killing the said “Champion/Legendary”. It’s not like they are overly strong, just a simple case of being tediously long winded…

With pretty much every enemy set up this way, it stands to reason that the thought process of a player is as such:
“It has a lot of HP and a Time Limit… So I need to do as much damage as possible within the set time… That’s an easy one, I’ll go Zerker!”

As we have seen from the latest patch. The Legendary Giant has a stupid amount of HP, but he’s not challenging when it comes to tactics, it’s more of a case of:
“Get within range, set auto-attack and go make yourself a coffee!”

I see this pattern re-occurring constantly in GW2 (as most players do) and so the smart thing to do is simply build a Zerk [Class Here].

Now I don’t want to point fingers here but, I don’t think it’s really players choice to build this way, it’s more that they feel they have to build this way to contribute and achieve within the game! So I have a suggestion (Dangerous, I know):

Introduce a new equation into the thought process: “What does the most damage?”
With the answer being: “It depends which enemy you are fighting.”

Like & Subscribe to “Game Slobs” on YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/gameslobsuk

Coopziana.1802

Take Shatterer as an example:
Currently – Stand in a pile on it’s right hand side and attack like crazy (No tactics there, just a big Zerker fest).

Changes –
Firstly, give him a decent AoE attack that stop the mass of people from stacking on the side… (read down about Crystals).
Secondly, give it some mechanics, the mortars are their… For what? Well the bone wall has been done to death so how about anyone that runs towards it get auto locked inside a crystal every 5-seconds (maybe 10… i’ll let you decide on the time gap, it’s not important really). The Crystals cannot be destroyed by standard attacks and require the use of the mortars to shatter them. Naturally Light and Medium armour classes would not survive the trek over to the dragon and so TANK BUILT players would be the only viable choice here. (Dare I say we have just moved away from everyone being a Zerker!).

As each crystal is destroyed it leaves behind a shard, which must be collected by that tanks and thrown at the dragon. After the dragon has been hit with 10-20 shards he goes into a stunned phase. which is where our CONDITION DAMAGE BUILT characters come in.

The Dragon itself should be immune from standard damage and as such can only be harmed by conditions, which will have a very large drain on it as apposed to normal enemies.

So the dragon comes out of Stun Phase and… UH-OH, we have a ton of Condition Damage players in it’s line of fire as it starts up with Trapping players in Crystals again. Which is where the HEALER BUILT players help by using healing skills to keep them alive while they flee to the safety of the mortars. Not everyone will make it, but that’s just the way it goes!

So we rinse and repeat the process until Shatterer goes into Phase 2… Wow, that never happened before. By 50% I’m normally asleep!

At this point he flies into the air and (as before) drops his minions… but we are talking an epic (like the wurms) amount of enemies. This is where everyone is needed… most importantly the Zerkers to help kill the enemies quickly – Because Shatterer’s minions have a high tolerance for Conditional Damage… Go Figure!

After you’ve killed [insert number] enemies, Shatterer will land fire at the mortars blowing the up… and the final battle begins…

Shatterer will continue to trap random players in Crystals, but at a slower rate and less damaging so we can all survive them… Just some better than others! He will also continue to spawn mobs, but again not as many. Now we all chip in!

Zerkers will be running around attacking/killing the enemies, while our healers are running around keeping people alive and ressing where needed. The Condition builds will be attacking shatterer face on, but conditions will do less damage to him this time, still with a significant increase, but he will still be immune to standard damage. Tanks will naturally be taking the force of the enemies and helping the zerkers to cull the enemies that are plowing in trying to kill the front line of condition damage players.

And then he dies!

So in this example alone we have created a need for the following Builds:
Tank
Healer
Condition Damage
and Zerker

And all it took was to build an enemy that had an immunity or higher defense against a certain type of attack.

This still keeps the game diverse as any class be be any build (yes some are better than others), but it will give game another dimension and players will have to start relying on other players and their builds, giving everyone a proper role, other than "do as much damage as you can in the time given.

Let me know what you guys think. If you want a more diverse game, sometimes we have to moan a bit… but be diplomatic not offensive!

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Your first example of a zerker fest is a boss that is immune to critical hits?

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Shatterer is the worst example to complain about “zerkers,” you can’t even crit him, zerker gear gives you no advantage over soldier gear.

If they do redesign the other dragons, I hope they do not do any more condition immune or direct damage immune mobs. If you really want the game to be ‘play how you want’ then having things your character can’t do is counter productive.

Coopziana.1802

The first part was about about making a build choice and the only logical choice in GW2 is to go zerker (for most classes). The part about Shatterer was simple an example of how to rebuild enemies to make people think twice about going for Zerker.

It’s not an Anti-Zerker post. It’s more of an Anti-“Anet making all enemies exactly the same”. I just feel like the game has no diversity! (No not the dance group :P) With a few tweaks of the enemies other builds will become viable. They just need to make it happen.

Best example of boring bosses right now is the Legendary Giant in Dry Top… Stupid amounts of Health and doesn’t really provide any sort of challenge at all… no achievement attached to it and very little rewards… but aside from that it’s a 15-minute waste of time and only completed with a large number of zerkers.

If they continue to make bosses like this, then no-one will every change from Zerker… because they would be harming themselves… not the enemies!

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

you can’t even adapt from using terms like zerk fest after being proven incorrect with what you are saying.. yet you expect arena net to adapt their game development… i love this forum, i really do. . . . shatter neutralizes crit stat, zerk gear utilizes crit stat.. therefore, shatter does not encourage zerk gear.. it encourages power builds and afk loot.. at the very least it fails to deter against an ongoing gw2 zerk mentality..

regardless, i’d like to see them nuke the shatter afk spot, the jormag ice wall afk spot {which i call the gutter}, and remove the box from the mark golem platform

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

(edited by cheshirefox.7026)

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

The best bit is where the OP wants to make a need for tank an healer builds despite it being stated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again that there will not be tanks or healers in this game. It’s almost as if they’re playing the wrong game.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

regardless, i’d like to see them nuke the shatter afk spot, the jormag ice wall afk spot {which i call the gutter}, and remove the box from the mark golem platform

+1 in support

Question, which is a little off topic, but how bad would it be if they removed auto-attack too? The worst offense would be to those players that are suffering from overuse or injury in their hands… But would it be effective in staving off afk autoattackers or 1 spamfests?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Coopziana.1802

Well it’s clear from the posters that you’re all happy to have a game based around a single viable build… That’s up to you.

All I’m saying is that I think that the enemy mechanics should push everyone into having to go Zerker and should be more diverse so that players are given a real choice as to which build they want to run without fear of not having enough DPS to kill a boss. Because that’s all the game is about, there are very little tactics and all bosses are designed with a time limit and lots of health which means you are almost forced to go full zerker otherwise you just won’t complete the event in time.

I’ve played many RPG’s and a couple of MMO’s including GW1 and never have i come across a game that pushes you into making a certain build as the game doesn’t require or have any use for any other builds. (PvP excepted and maybe, at a push, WvW)

@Cheshirefox – I did state that it was an example on how to adapt things to make the game more diverse… it wasn’t anything to do with Zerkers vs Shatterer… TWO POINTS, 1 POST.

- FYI I chose shatterer as it’s a prime example of stand around and auto-attack with no tactics involved what-so-ever. But while we are looking were looking at a Zerkers only game I though it tied in well with examples of changes that could be made to incorporate new mechanics to include the need for other builds.

@Maha – If they were not intended for the game then why are there armours and traits for those exact things… Seems a bit silly to add it in if they never intended them to be used….

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Well it’s clear from the posters that you’re all happy to have a game based around a single viable build… That’s up to you.

No, I’m not happy about the “Zerker or BUST!” meta in this game.
But if you want to alienate me from agreeing with you… That’s up to you.

Also give your thread more than an hour time limit before you sum up everyone as being “happy with something” and/or against your suggestion.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I’m pretty sure the thought process of 99% of world event zergers (myself included) isn’t “how can I minmax DPS so this guy goes down faster” but rather “oh hey there’s like 200 other people here so my DPS contribution doesn’t even matter, let’s see if i can find a safe spot to afk at range so i can go do other things till he’s dead”.

If you’ve ever soloed a world boss with an actual zerker in a DPS spec, you’d realize they go down REALLY fast with a zerker’s sustained DPS. The reason they take so long currently is because most people don’t have DPS, they’re using ranged specs with low DPS gearsets and traits because there’s no reason to pour in effort to raise overall average DPS by .01%, unless you can guarantee that everyone else is going to do the same. And you know they’re not so might as well just afk at range.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

+1 in support

Question, which is a little off topic, but how bad would it be if they removed auto-attack too? The worst offense would be to those players that are suffering from overuse or injury in their hands… But would it be effective in staving off afk autoattackers or 1 spamfests?

no no no, please don’t do that ):
There are a large number of people with physical difficulties playing this game.

What they should do, is auto attack switches off, IF no other key/skill has been used in say 60sec? This would prevent afk’ing, without punishing those with disabilities.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Eeeeeh, sorry but no. I was ticked off enough in the WildStar beta when I had to sit there and click (and click and click and click) for each and every attack. And with no rotation to occupy through (games with rotations have very weak auto-attacks so.. yeah), auto attack is kinda vital to my sanity and keeping my mouse intact.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

My thought process on this is, gear is bleeping expensive enough!!!!! DO NOT encourage them to add encounters each requiring different gear. No way in heck could I afford it!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

There is build variety tho. 6 4 0 0 4 or 6 4 0 4 0 mes for instance.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Altair.6109

Altair.6109

Not this holy trinity thing again.
No I don’t want to rely on healers to survive, and No I don’t need tanks to tank damage for me, I use my dodge button.

All Anet needs to do is adding more world boss like evolved jungle wurm period.

(edited by Altair.6109)

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

No re-design necessary for Shatterer, as well as a couple of other World Bosses. Since the Megazerger is here to stay, just limit the map to 20-30 players. Did Shatterer earlier with about 12 people and it was fun again.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

(edited by dkspins.4670)

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

yes more teqautl and wurm will fix everything.. the only two wbt events that have commanders and guild heads spamming chat in other events to ‘go there’ and also the only events that get a response ‘meh, i’d rather not’ as apposed to ‘i did that already.’

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Coopziana.1802

Not this holy trinity thing again.
No I don’t want to rely on healers to survive, and No I don’t need tanks to tank damage for me, I use my dodge button.

You don’t want to rely on others? Yet with each patch it seems Anet are pushing players together more and more (Megaserver) and they add in achievements that require the work of everyone in a single map to work together so you can get it. You may not want it but i think Anet do!

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Relying on other people and working with other people are not the same thing

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

So, although I agree on improved boss mechanics, and that I’d like things that involve thinking and working together, I do not believe your idea is valid.

GW2 has the ideology of “play how you want” with the intention of every class is viable. Whether or not this is the case in reality, this is their principle. Forcing an event to require healers, tanks and con damagers is going against this, and in my opinion the wrong way about it.

I do not think your build and class should matter in a world boss, what should matter is an understanding of the bosses mechanics, and skill and coordination to over come them. However, the current state of Tequatl is worrying. Do I see it and think “ooh I’ll go!”? No, I think “It’ll just be a bunch of commanders yelling in chat, people not reading and then it’ll fail”. I personally went there my first time and did not understand the process of killing him. I followed commanders orders but I was still confused.

And as for the Wurm, whenever I go to do that no one is there.

I’d like to see updated world bosses but they need to be looked at carefully. At some point, it becomes too hard to say it’s worth the rares, and the loot also needs a looking over.

| Lithia |