The armor in guild wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

So as many may have noticed, heavy armor looks detailed and awesome, Light armor look voodoo and awesome.

But medium armor? Looks bland, boring, not cool. Just trenchcoats, only medium armor that is kinda of cool is the baelfire armor, and thats only cause it has spikes and flames (ON norn male the shoulderpads of baelfire armor doesn’t even show! WTH areanet!)
So I bet you, arenanet, have proberly already heared of the complaints about medium armor boringness,blandness, just no cool creativity about it. I just wish my Norn thief could look as cool as that norn warrior.

TL;DR , Medium armor is boring – only trenchcoats – no cool sets – boring – boring – boring.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Stopped playing an 80 Ranger Because of this.

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

Only armor I found worth my time was the order of whispers vest…everything else didn’t matter because there was nothing good. My character now looks like a half dressed male prostitute, but it was better then the alternatives.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I think it partially has to do with how the classes are categorized…. Scholar, Soldier and Adventurer; the first two are fairly easily to build armors around that general category concept, not so much the Adventurer, especially since (from a fundamental level) rangers, thieves, and engineers hardly share commonality like the different casters (that cast different flavors of spells) or the guardian/warrior (that are frontline fighters and tough as nails even if they do have different styles). Not saying that justifies the end result, though it does sort of follow the thought process behind the “art direction” for medium armor.

Posted by: Angry Angus.2187

Angry Angus.2187

I too stopped playing my 80 ranger because of this/

Posted by: JunkyardWolf.4126

JunkyardWolf.4126

Proberly? Proberly?! Ugh…

Anyway, yes, I completely agree that medium armor is absolutely wretched in its lack of variety at the moment. Hopefully this will be corrected in a future patch with additional styles.

As much as I’d love to level a thief or ranger, seeing a large, bestial cat-person bounding along on all fours in a friggin’ trench coat just completely destroys any sense of fun associated with the respective professions.

Edit: And not just any trench coat, but one that poofs out at the bottom like some ridiculous Snow White ball-room gown. Really, ANet? Really? What the hell were you people thinking…

(edited by JunkyardWolf.4126)

Posted by: Ergi.5201

Ergi.5201

My character now looks like a half dressed male prostitute

I’m desperately trying to get that look on my thief, but is much saddened that the only man kitten armor is heavy armor. More straps and harnesses I say!

Ring of Fire – EU
Some must fight, so that all may be free.

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

I mean, just look at the medium armor , Furnace armor, for SE. Just look at it with your norn male, It looks kittening kitten Look at the positioning of the helm and the shoulders! JUST LOOK HOW CLUNKY AND UTTERLY CRAP IT LOOKS, It’s like the stupid art directors only thought that Asuras were the important thing for medium armor, or human. Not takeing any attention the Norn side.

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

While all three armour types suffer from a certain uniformity syndrome (e.g. light armour is usually some more or less skimpy top plus long skirt), it’s certainly most obvious with medium. Of all the sets in the game I can name exactly four that don’t look outright horrible on my (female) ranger: Norn T1 and T3, Whispers and Duelist. I hate trenchcoats (or any coat for that matter) on a ranger, so go figure!

I really really hope that we will get more variety in styles over time. Like, you know, something a huntress would actually wear. Plus skirts of various length, tops of different styles. Pants.

In short: Actual choices!

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

Well, as an ele I always envied all of you medium armors, imo they’re awesome. So there you go

Posted by: infrequentia.3465

infrequentia.3465

as thief i’m kinda stuck with 2 option, t3 human or duelist, the rest isn’t thief/assassin like at all.
light armor looks amazing as always ( what can go wrong with a cloth >>) and heavy has beautifull armors.
medium is totally left out with the real variaty in armor , its short ’’trench’’ medium ’’trench’’ long ’’trench’’

“If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.”

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

A lot of heavy armor that doesn’t cover a lot, like the commando hauberk, looks like it should of been medium armor. They just flood all the cool stuff to warriors, regardless if it’s actually heavy or not.

Can’t even get my Thief a simple cool looking shirt or vest, it all has trenchcoats and skirts attached to it and clips with my weapons.

They said there’d be a style type for everyone with armor and we could pick whatever~ but medium armor doesn’t have that variety option at all, especially for males. They focused all that effort on Heavy armor.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

I love medium armor!

which is ironic bc my current two toons are heavy and light and I can’t find any armor for them that I like.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Prowler coat, Asura Cultural 2, and CoE are more amazing looking than any light or heavy armor.

Your opinion is noted, and denied.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I was incredibly disappointed with the lack of variety in a lot of the armor sets in this game. Guild Wars’ armor was so exceptionally impressive to me personally. I had never really seen anything like their armor in other games. Also the fact all the different classes had class defining armor made me feel very set apart from anyone else.

Were their popular armor sets, and did you see them everywhere? Sure, did I care? Not one bit! The armor was so beautiful I loved seeing all the copies!

Now this isn’t to say Guild Wars 2 armor isn’t beautiful. I still feel Guild Wars 2 has some very unique sets (most of them being racial which is kind of a pet peeve of mine).

However, I still have a very special place in my heart for the beautiful equipment of Guild Wars 1

Attachments:

Ahlen.7591

I was incredibly disappointed with the lack of variety in a lot of the armor sets in this game. Guild Wars’ armor was so exceptionally impressive to me personally. I had never really seen anything like their armor in other games. Also the fact all the different classes had class defining armor made me feel very set apart from anyone else.

Were their popular armor sets, and did you see them everywhere? Sure, did I care? Not one bit! The armor was so beautiful I loved seeing all the copies!

Now this isn’t to say Guild Wars 2 armor isn’t beautiful. I still feel Guild Wars 2 has some very unique sets (most of them being racial which is kind of a pet peeve of mine).

However, I still have a very special place in my heart for the beautiful equipment of Guild Wars 1

This is of course my opinion, but damn those are some ugly armors.

TheUndefined.1720

Lol @Ahlen,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I’m cherry picking my favorite armor designs. Those definitely weren’t the community’s favorite picks.

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

It’s not that bad, remember about the armors from orders and cultural armors.

Attachments:

(edited by Venirto.4208)

TheUndefined.1720

It’s not that bad, remember about the armors from orders and cultural armors.

Those were the armors I had in mind when I was writing my post. I can’t say all of Guild Wars 2’s armor is bland, because there are some absolutely beautiful pieces. Particularly racial equipment, and some faction sets. However, it does annoy me a bit I can’t play the race I want, and still wear the equipment I love. My Norn Thief would look so amazing in the human medium equipment.

The decision to make racial exclusive armor bewildered me since they did go into that little rant about no racial differences, and play whatever you want. :/

Ahlen.7591

Lol @Ahlen,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I’m cherry picking my favorite armor designs. Those definitely weren’t the community’s favorite picks.

The first one looks pretty good, but the second one is like…they just stuck spikes on it for no reason.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I love the Trenchcoats, but i’d like more variation.

Although the last thing I want is the horrible spike-infested Assassin armor from GW1.

The biggest problem I have with teh coats is how, especially on Norns, the waist & legs bulges out WAYY too much. even the fat Norn body type has the coat over-scaled by like half a foot around the wait & legs. it looks awful.

TheUndefined.1720

Lol @Ahlen,

The first one looks pretty good, but the second one is like…they just stuck spikes on it for no reason.

Guild Wars 1 had far more subtle assassin armor than the second image I posted, and I really wanted to show the range between the two.

The way I look at equipment is as a whole. Generally I think to myself, which emotion is this equipment evoking?

The attached blades screamed dangerous, to me. Also the armor begged the question, Want to catch me? Then try and touch me! The design may be a little too heavy handed for some players. I loved it.

You should check out the armors though, they’re very interesting works of art if anything else.

Assassin

Ranger

Ritualist (My personal favorite series of armor <3)

(edited by TheUndefined.1720)

infrequentia.3465

don’t you dare forgetting the other ‘’ medium’’ armor class from gw 1
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dervish_armor

TheUndefined.1720

don’t you dare forgetting the other ‘’ medium’’ armor class from gw 1
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dervish_armor

Lol! You caught me! I was holding off on showing that equipment, because I have a feeling they’ll be adding Dervish to the game later.

I doubt they’ll be adding my favorite class (and main), Ritualist, though. So I wanted to share my deep love for my elegant class. <3

Posted by: Vennoth.7698

Vennoth.7698

Bloody hell – most of you kitten and whine about the bugs in the game – now we have a whole new set of complaints – armour detail.

Some suggestions:
1: use your favourite paint package (or crayons for most of you going by your behaviour on the forums) to draw the armours you’d like to see and send them in to the peeps at ANet – you may get lucky!

2: wait and give them a chance for kitten sake. The game is still in its infancy, yes..?

EDIT: I am English – my spelling reflects this – for the idiots that will try to point out mistakes.

I cannot be held responsible for the above comment as, apparently, my llama can now type.

infrequentia.3465

well the medium armor complaint has been goin on from start >>
and ye bugs are still high on the complaint list but it just icks alot of people in a game where cosmetics is everything the armor just lacks alot of it

Vennoth.7698

and ye bugs are still high on the complaint list but it just icks alot of people in a game where cosmetics is everything the armor just lacks alot of it

Understood mate – just pisses me off the amount of whining people do – if they aren’t happy go back to that hold-your-hand-baby-mode-ez crap game.

I cannot be held responsible for the above comment as, apparently, my llama can now type.

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

I like my Inquest armor tyvm

Doggie.3184

I miss my Kurzick and Luxon Assassin armor.

note; Assassins had NO SKIRTS and not a single Trenchcoat. Thief = Assassin’s replacement but unfortunately didn’t get it’s armor and got Ranger’s instead.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

If more Assasin/stealthy looking armours were available in the Gem shop, i would buy without hesitation!
All i have now that suit my Thief are Duelist or T3 – the rest are Trenchcoats :-(

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

If more Assasing (word?) armours were available in the Gem shop, i would buy without hesitation!
All i have now that suit my Thief are Duelist or T3 – the rest are Trenchcoats :-(

Inquest, whispers, a few others if I remem right

Doggie.3184

If more Assasing (word?) armours were available in the Gem shop, i would buy without hesitation!

Inquest, whispers, a few others if I remem right

Those both have skirts, which doesn’t follow GW1’s Assassin style. Gah, it hinders mobility as well. .-. All that stuff flying around when I’m trying to ninja around.

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

on the vigil pact armor, asuran toes stick out of the feet, leaving my guardian’s flippy toes exposed to the colder elements in the shiverpeaks.

in fact, i think that their toes clip through many armor styles.

(edited by rgrwng.4072)

infrequentia.3465

note; Assassins had NO SKIRTS and not a single Trenchcoat. Thief = Assassin’s replacement but unfortunately didn’t get it’s armor and got Ranger’s instead.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_Canthan_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_Elite_Canthan_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_Monument_armor
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_Oni_Leggings
where’s the no skirt? these are all "skirt’’ assassin armor
tho i would love to see some of them

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Whispers you are wearing a long skirt … Inquest still a long coat style..

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: Laethan.7862

Laethan.7862

Medium armour in this game does not offer much of a variety. Everything is long bulging trenchcoats and all look the same pretty much. And on Norn males look like Im wearing a hoop skirt. Id kill for a set of gw1 ranger obsidian armour. Or anything that doesnt make me feel like im in the Matrix or Dark Tower. Human T3 is the only set I really like and Im a Norn. I miss the armour being Class specific as well. Rangers and thieves shouldnt look the same.

Signed for more Shirt/ Vest combos, even vests without shirts.

Doggie.3184

I’m talking about male armor, idc about female side, they get/will get enough attention as is.

infrequentia.3465

I’m talking about male armor, idc about female side, they get/will get enough attention as is.

well males don’t wear skirts at all since its a female clothing piece >> unless your crossdresser there shouldn’t be skirts on males whatso ever

Vennoth.7698

well males don’t wear skirts at all since its a female clothing piece >> unless your crossdresser there shouldn’t be skirts on males whatso ever

Well the scottish wear skirts…?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I guess there is no accounting for taste. There are any number of pants skins from medium armor I’d prefer for my light armor female character. I’m just not a big fan of skirts, especially skirts over pants. And I’d kill for my necro to be able to wear the Duelist Skin. Say, why can’t we transmute armor looks outside of our class, again?

Doggie.3184

Anything that hangs below the waist is either a skirt or trenchcoat, regardless of gender. Medium armor happens to be either of these on both genders for everything. Except female humans actually get racial armor that resembles GW1 Assassins, as well as another armor set for all females only~

TheUndefined.1720

Understood mate – just pisses me off the amount of whining people do – if they aren’t happy go back to that hold-your-hand-baby-mode-ez crap game.

I can understand your frustration, especially with how aggressive these forums have become, but please try to understand many of us are here to share our opinions. Although some may come off worse than others, in the end ArenaNet will make the game they want to make.

Those of us that do not agree with their changes will stop playing on our own, while others will want to come here, and express their opinions. In the end, it all comes from a place of concern (or else why even come here in the first place? Lol).

There will always be problems to fix in any game, but especially with MMO’s the team will always have to push forward. If they didn’t, we’d never see new content lol.

Although the equipment in this game overall is very pleasing, there just isn’t a lot of variety. I don’t think this is a huge fault on the art team. Personally, I didn’t even realize a few armor sets were available until 5-7 levels after the fact. Sure this could be my fault, but when armor isn’t properly spread through out the game a player can assume there’s just really not a lot of armor accessible.

This was just my personal gripe though.

infrequentia.3465

i dare you to say that to a scottish person =P
kilts and skirts are different

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

Maybe i do something wrong, but i’ve leveled a medium armor class, because of it’s looks… o.O

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

It would be nice to see some different looking leather curiasses thrown into the medium armor section. Coats can be good looking and all, but variation is always good.

Vennoth.7698

i dare you to say that to a scottish person =P
kilts and skirts are different

Been there, done that – was the source of much amusement when I was in the Army;p Always had a bloody good laugh with those manky scots gits after tho!

Seriously – we had phun

Posted by: Hantu.2815

Hantu.2815

I am awaiting for Anet to bring the following medium sets into the game from GW1. I believe they were community favored and do not have any look-alikes in GW2. Correct me if im wrong. Maybe they will not all fit in the lore/gameplay, but even a few of those styles will add some diversity to the trench coat disease.

Please note that if you personally dislike a style it does not mean that it is not wanted by people who loved it in GW1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and stuff like that!

Ranger:

http://www.guildwiki.org/Ranger_Fur-Lined_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Ranger_Studded_Leather_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Ranger_Elite_Druid_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Ranger_Luxon_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Ranger_Primeval_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Ranger_Obsidian_armor

Assassin

http://www.guildwiki.org/Assassin_Imperial_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Assassin_Kurzick_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Assassin_Elite_Canthan_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Assassin_Elite_Kurzick_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Assassin_Elite_Luxon_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Assassin_Vabbian_armor

http://www.guildwiki.org/Assassin_Obsidian_armor

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

i wish we had armor as awesome as in Blade&Soul, that would be just… PERFECT!!

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

While I agree with what you guys are saying I have actually found great looking armor for my level 80 ranger. I prefer bulky metal type armor that actually looks like it protects you rather than trenchcoats and the like. I have Sorrow’s Embrace pauldrons(which look great because they are very bulky), SE furnace helm, SE boots which are very cool and I am temporarily wearing a trench-coat for my body but it looks great in combination with the above. With that said, this was literally the ONLY armor I could find that suits my tastes. Here’s to hoping they add in more armor variation down the line.

Edit: this is with the COF helm which looks just as good as the SE one imo:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/gw009a.jpg/

(edited by BroScientist.9875)