The armors in guild wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GummyBearSummoner.7941

GummyBearSummoner.7941

Unsure how to start this so please bare with me. First off, i love this game and i am only stating my opinion. One thing that i really dislike about this game is the armor. Guild Wars had better armor in my opinion compare to what we have now. For starters, we, light armor, have no actual pants for female and only one for male. Medium has too many trench coats and does have pants but no nice and casual tops to go with it. As for heavy armor, its just too bunky for my taste. To make things easier, here are a few pictures from Guild Wars armors that i would like to see in game. Even though the pictures shown do not have any actual pants, i still think they actually look good regardless.

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

Dude… heavy armor is meant to be bulky. Do you seriously want everyone going full norn?
I agree with your other points though – I’d like to see light armor pants and a good medium armor top that isn’t a trenchcoat.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I for one would love to see more Medium and Light armors that show off male/charr bodies. Why can’t Medium armor have some revealing leather armors like the bad guys in Mad Max movies tend to wear? They should totally have a “Three Belt Top” similar to the Heavy Armor Scallywag chestpiece.

And both need armors that show off the legs.

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

The OP’s points, I well agree with. The example armours weren’t a good example of an improvement though, imho.

There are lots of other games to take examples from—-in general, the armour in Guild Wars 2 is bland.

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

My heavy armor doesn’t make me look bulky at all… Granted the legs, gloves, and boots are skins… BUT the chest piece isn’t… and what a hairy chest it shows off!

~EW

Attachments:

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Heavy armor needs more plated pants also, even there you have to much butt pants.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

gw1 armor was individual for every profession and gender.

meaning there was no heavy/medium/light armor, there was:
Warrior,Ranger,Elementalist,Mesmer,Monk,Necromancer,Assassin,Ritualist,Paragon,Dervish armor.

and it came separate in male and female form..not just slightly different but full on difference.

this also happened with emotes, each profession/gender had different emotes,specifically ,dances

Posted by: zideeffectzz.6379

zideeffectzz.6379

They gotta just get rid of outfits and make the armors…. problem solved.

Pure Heart.1456

The first step in improving the armour situation—and this could almost be scripted automatically on various levels—is to ‘export’/add all the non symmetrical shoulder armour as symmetrical versions.

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

The first step in improving the armour situation—and this could almost be scripted automatically on various levels—is to ‘export’/add all the non symmetrical shoulder armour as symmetrical versions.

And the opposite, with left/right variants.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

They seem to just brush this off by saying that making these takes alot of time and work but they seem to have the time to make MANY cash shop skins.

But as for the topic, they should have some light coats not just robes and some heavy armour that covers the butt.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They seem to just brush this off by saying that making these takes alot of time and work but they seem to have the time to make MANY cash shop skins.

But as for the topic, they should have some light coats not just robes and some heavy armour that covers the butt.

And as it’s been said time and time again armor is many, many times harder than an outfit due to it’s mix and match, piece meal nature.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Pure Heart.1456

And as it’s been said time and time again armor is many, many times harder than an outfit due to it’s mix and match, piece meal nature.

It’s harder to fly into outer space than it is to fly around the Earth. So, let’s not fly into space then? What the hell, just give us our real armour! Nobody cares “how hard it is”. There is no substitute for quality

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s harder to fly into outer space than it is to fly around the Earth. So, let’s not fly into space then? What the hell, just give us our real armour! Nobody cares “how hard it is”. There is no substitute for quality

It’s a manpower issue. If you only sell X amount of an armor set for $10 you have to keep the development costs (talking manpower) roughly half of $10 times X. Outfits which take less time to do because it’s all or nothing at $8.75 is likely very profitable.

At the end of the day, ANet needs to pull in income to pay the bills and it would be stupid of them to devote resources on developing a gem shop item that isn’t as profitable as it needs to justify the time invested. It’s a cold equation but for us to play the game, there has to be a company there tomorrow.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Dude… heavy armor is meant to be bulky. Do you seriously want everyone going full norn?
I agree with your other points though – I’d like to see light armor pants and a good medium armor top that isn’t a trenchcoat.

Heavy actually has the least bulky pieces of armor currently though. Still need least bulky everything for everything though.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Amaxia.5784

Amaxia.5784

It’s a manpower issue. If you only sell X amount of an armor set for $10 you have to keep the development costs (talking manpower) roughly half of $10 times X. Outfits which take less time to do because it’s all or nothing at $8.75 is likely very profitable.

At the end of the day, ANet needs to pull in income to pay the bills and it would be stupid of them to devote resources on developing a gem shop item that isn’t as profitable as it needs to justify the time invested. It’s a cold equation but for us to play the game, there has to be a company there tomorrow.

What they aren’t factoring into that equation is the necessity to create an emotional attachment between the players and their characters. Being forced to choose between hideously, atrociously ugly armor skins or an outfit which makes your character a copy of ten thousand other characters doesn’t promote that attachment. They churn out outfits and players buy them because they hope to find one which they can customize enough to make them happy while simultaneously giving them a sense of individuation, but that’s a short road to profit that ends in a ghost town. Beyond very limited color customization (yes, four colors, but lacking granularity in application), there’s no way to make an outfit unique to the player, thus no way to truly bond with the character. They may as well set all faces to a default model when outfits are equipped, because that’s the impression given and experienced.

We need more choices in armor skins. The ability to pick and choose between multiple pieces to put together an ensemble which satisfies our need to differentiate ourselves from everyone else is critical to the longevity of a game like this. Dyes can’t completely fulfill that requirement with limited armor options to choose from. Outfits do even less to meet that goal.

Our characters are our digital representatives in the game, they are our expressions of self-identification and they are how we interact with the game, the game world and the other players populating it. Every outfit they make sends the players yet another memorandum that they are, in the company’s eyes, generic. We’re not asking for mints on our pillows and warm expressions of affection on expensive stationary. We’re asking to be given the illusion of individuality in a virtual environment, through more armor skin choices so we can better customize our characters.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

yes please! more non trenchoaty medium armor, for males specially! give us leather straps, tight fitting clothes, etc!

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Here’s some examples of armor styles I’d love to see one day. I hope that the more Anet improves the core game, the more willing they will be in the future to devote more time into making fun, unique, and stylish armor sets. It was discouraging to say the least when they said that armor sets took too much time (6 times the effort as an outfit? Is that true??) and thus was the main reason why we received such a paltry amount in the HoT expansion. I understand that there are more pressing matters to attend to, but it would be nice if we could get substantially more armor sets in the future.

Attachments:

Sartharina.3542

… Still too much male pants.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I agree. The men should take off their pants!

(It was worth the possible infraction for posting this)

~EW

Sartharina.3542

I agree. The men should take off their pants!

(It was worth the possible infraction for posting this)

~EW

I have all sorts of ideas they could try for male armor. Buttcapes with fancy loincloths could work for light armor. I really should try sketching them out…

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Here’s some examples of armor styles I’d love to see one day. I hope that the more Anet improves the core game, the more willing they will be in the future to devote more time into making fun, unique, and stylish armor sets. It was discouraging to say the least when they said that armor sets took too much time (6 times the effort as an outfit? Is that true??) and thus was the main reason why we received such a paltry amount in the HoT expansion. I understand that there are more pressing matters to attend to, but it would be nice if we could get substantially more armor sets in the future.

Love these.

If outfits were closer to this level of style and practicality, I think most people wouldn’t have a problem with them. I’d certainly not want to change a thing on most of ’em.

It’s unfortunate that GW2 was launched with so many intentionally rubbishy, low-quality armour sets, most of which are just taking up unnecessary space in our wardrobes. Would be awesome if some them could get a visual update of sorts.