The blocking system

The blocking system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SlickDon.5290

SlickDon.5290

Q:

If someone blocks you, why should they be allowed to message you?

I feel like this is a flawed system. I’ve been blocked by trolls twice now and each time its happened they carried on sending abusive messages and laughing at the fact I can’t respond.

I don’t mind that they want to do this and are enjoying it, I just kept reporting them, but why should they be allowed to send messages to someone they blocked?

When using messaging apps such as WhatsApp and you block someone, you cannot message them unless you unblock them.

I know you can block them as well and I have done so. It’s just that it has been like this in guild wars 1 as well and to be honest I feel like it’s something that should have been implemented a long time ago.

I’ve also noticed that you can view the location of the person you blocked as well as if they’re online or not, which I feel like is too much information for this person you don’t want to have contact with in the game.

I feel like Anet should consider adding this in the game.

[Just to clarify this is not about wanting to respond to them, its about not letting them be able to message you once they have blocked you]

[I accidentally set this as Q & A and can’t change it back ]

(edited by SlickDon.5290)

The blocking system

Posted by: Empty.8756

Empty.8756

Agreed. It’s annoying when some troll feels like whispering you kitten, but you can’t respond. Sure it’s best to just block them back, but if I blocked every troll I would probably only hear 4/5 of my teammates in PvP chat.

The blocking system

Posted by: Dibaryon.7469

Dibaryon.7469

I agree with this. It’s a very cowardly atittude to do this type of thing, and it shouldn’t be allowed. Rude players don’t rant in the map chat because they want to have a lower chance to get their account suspended/banned (because if they do, they have the risk of being reported by multiple players).

This happens to me in PvP, and in WvW. Enemy players block me and then send me childish messages and/or accuse me of cheating or using macros because I defeated them in the game lol.

This change would definitely benefit the community.

*GANDARA *
Flipping your camps since 2014 :3

The blocking system

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

I usually don’t respond to such people nor do I block them, I just make sure to kill them again (in WvW or PvP) and spam /laugh on their corpse, then crab some popcorn and enjoy all the salty whispers they keep sending me. Sometimes they even unblock me in the hope I’ll talk back to them, but I won’t, I’ll just keep killing them and keep spamming /laugh every time they die. I’ve seen trolls rage-quit because of me. So you should try this next time.

The blocking system

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

+1, you should not be able to whisper someone that is on your blocklist.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

The blocking system

Posted by: Sanguina X.8301

Sanguina X.8301

If someone blocks you, why should they be allowed to message you?

I feel like this is a flawed system. I’ve been blocked by trolls twice now and each time its happened they carried on sending abusive messages and laughing at the fact I can’t respond.

I don’t mind that they want to do this and are enjoying it, I just kept reporting them, but why should they be allowed to send messages to someone they blocked?

When using messaging apps such as WhatsApp and you block someone, you cannot message them unless you unblock them.

I know you can block them as well and I have done so. It’s just that it has been like this in guild wars 1 as well and to be honest I feel like it’s something that should have been implemented a long time ago.

I’ve also noticed that you can view the location of the person you blocked as well as if they’re online or not, which I feel like is too much information for this person you don’t want to have contact with in the game.

I feel like Anet should consider adding this in the game.

I completely agree. Blocking someone should shut down all forms of verbal communication within the game.

- Sanguina X

The blocking system

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

… so the “trolls” will simply message you then click block quickly and nothing will have changed?

Ignore it, block back, have a nice day.

They are trolls. Why are you trying to respond?

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

The blocking system

Posted by: SierraRei.8526

SierraRei.8526

Because if you take away their soapbox they won’t bother in the first place.

The blocking system

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

… so the “trolls” will simply message you then click block quickly and nothing will have changed?

Whatever makes life more difficult for trolls is in my opinion always desirable.

The blocking system

Posted by: SlickDon.5290

SlickDon.5290

I’m not trying to respond to them, I just don’t want them to be able to message me once they have blocked me.

The blocking system

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

Never respond to a troll. They only want to suck negative attention, and no theres no reasoning with them. In the past i tried, but the years have given wisdom in this area. Ignore, block, report (if its the worst harrasing type) and never look back. My online game experience has been a lot more pleasant nowadays.

The blocking system

Posted by: Tarahdise.4850

Tarahdise.4850

I wanted to add! I’ve experienced abuse from people that blocked me I just tried to ignore. I’ve had people say some truly vicious things and lots of sexual harassment. Of course I block/report and I usually never engage them but that doesn’t mean the system isn’t flawed. They block you but have power to still harass you? That’s unfair and cruel.

Saying, “Ignore it” is ignorant. Why shouldn’t this be changed/fixed? Why would you give trolls or otherwise vicious people the power to passive aggressively verbally abuse you without you defending yourself regardless if you should be engaging these horrible people or not?

The blocking system

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

I agree. To reduce the amount of toxic trolling in the game, they should also make it where if you blocked someone, you can’t unblock them for a week. So this will prevent those trolls who simply unblock you to message you after they block you to gain your account name, which happens quite often in WvW.

The blocking system

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

As Don has already stated.

All they would then to do is “Message, block, unblock, repeat.”

You have the tools to handle people like this, use them, you can’t blame Anet for this.
Someones blocked you and is still messaging you? Block them back.

I agree. To reduce the amount of toxic trolling in the game, they should also make it where if you blocked someone, you can’t unblock them for a week. So this will prevent those trolls who simply unblock you to message you after they block you to gain your account name, which happens quite often in WvW.

This is dumb and here’s why.

“Oh hey John, I’ll just join your map! Oops, accidentally clicked block, guess I’m not talking to you for a week.”

As mentioned above, you have the tools already to combat “toxic trolling” Use the block feature.

Stop requesting for features you already have.

They block you but have power to still harass you? That’s unfair and cruel.

No they don’t, block them as well.

I’m not trying to respond to them, I just don’t want them to be able to message me once they have blocked me.

Block them then, you already have the ability to do this.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

(edited by JoshuaRAWR.4653)

The blocking system

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Report them for verbal abuse, block them, move on.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

The blocking system

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

As Don has already stated.

All they would then to do is “Message, block, unblock, repeat.”

And, as was also already stated: Anything additional to make it more tedious for the trolls is an improvement.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

The blocking system

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Is it possible to friend someone and block them? If so, they’d know where you are anyway from their friends list.

The blocking system

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How does anyone know a ‘troll’ blocked them if they didn’t try to respond to the aggravating/unwanted/unflattering messages?

The blocking system

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

How does anyone know a ‘troll’ blocked them if they didn’t try to respond to the aggravating/unwanted/unflattering messages?

Exactly. They don’t. Which means they were trying to respond, in which case:

Report them for verbal abuse, block them, move on.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

The blocking system

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

- snip -
[Just to clarify this is not about wanting to respond to them, its about not letting them be able to message you once they have blocked you]

While I agree that blocker shouldn’t be able to send message to their block list, it will not address the issue of the OP: receiving abusive message from troll.

Consider if the incident happened for the first time:
1. Troll will just message the OP
2. Troll will block the OP
3. If troll want to send message again, troll will unblock the OP.
4. Repeat step 2 until the OP learned how to block the troll (which is the simplest solution requiring no code change)

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

The blocking system

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Personally i would like to have a command like /clear or /cls that allows me to clear the chatbox so i don’t have to spam emotes or something until i don’t have to read that stuff anymore.

The blocking system

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

There is literally no downside to the OP’s request though, so how about we not troll him? True it may not solve much, but it would be a nice implementation and it just makes sense.

On a side note, whenever I step into PvP I change my status to “invisible” which blocks all players from whispering me without me having to lift another finger. The downside of course being that it cuts off interaction with my guild during that time.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

The blocking system

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Block them in return. Problem solved. Scenario gets worse? Report them.

Just last night I was on my condi engi in wvw. Literally only just geared them up never played condi engi had no idea what I was doing just spamming buttons thinking oh god what am I doing and managed to kill this guy.. as I ran off I get a few rude messages and I laughed. Went to ping them a Packet of Salt but sadly since they have me blocked you can neither whisper or mail them back and this is where I agree it is flawed; they can still whisper/mail/verbally abuse you or take things further if they have you blocked. Sigh.

I’ve been getting quite a few negative whispers mostly in wvw but at least it gives me a laugh because they’re such childish comments.