The censor system - No kittens please.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

I’m one of those people who are godly sick of cathuggers on the internet – So instead of replacing swears with the word “kitten” can’t you just star or heart it out like a lot of forums, SPUF among others, do? Most of us can figure out what a word was when it was written just by reading the context and the amount of filtered letters, and if we can do that anyways then there is no reason to try and protect us from bad words because we already know them. And use them. A lot.

(edited by Oxstar.7643)

Posted by: Twitchz.6407

Twitchz.6407

I find it little odd myself as GW2 is supposed to have a mature rating. Although one could argue that the use of such word in the first place suggests otherwise.

(edited by Twitchz.6407)

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

I feel old – I am not even sure what the definition, only ever seen it recently in game context. Wasn’t sure if it was a reference to hello kitty online or something.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

They should censor it with ‘Rytlock’ instead.

I’m so Rytlock sick of all this Rytlock.

Posted by: Twitchz.6407

Twitchz.6407

I believe its a play on the ‘Every time you say a bad word, god kills a kitten’ thing. That’s only my opinion though.

Posted by: Kethryes.5712

Kethryes.5712

At some point, kitten will become a swear word, and it will be censored… and replaced by puppy.

(And then the cycle will repeat)

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

i feel treated like a toddler lol.

Like they need to protect us from bad language .

hope nothing gets kittened in this post 8-)

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

I believe its a play on the ‘Every time you say a bad word, god kills a kitten’ thing. That’s only my opinion though.

And then you read….when kitten hits the fan…and reach a whole new level of holy kitten….

Posted by: heaster.8275

heaster.8275

They should censor it with ‘Rytlock’ instead.

I’m so Rytlock sick of all this Rytlock.

I’m loving it, sound fun and more contextual

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Huh… I always figured it was a reference to David Thorne’s “Exciting Investment Opportunity” and the related “request by Police.” Neither of which link I am putting here, because if you are of extremely sensitive temperament, you would be very displeased with me for sending you to that site.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I always thought it was a Charr insult. I know in one of the books, Rytlock gets upset when Logan calls him a “kitty.”

As far as how it’s used on the forums, I love it. It’s a great way to show people how silly they actually sound when they get upset or use harsher language when discussing a video game.

Oxstar.7643

Huh… I always figured it was a reference to David Thorne’s “Exciting Investment Opportunity” and the related “request by Police.” Neither of which link I am putting here, because if you are of extremely sensitive temperament, you would be very displeased with me for sending you to that site.

Send it to my inbox.

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Next

Most of us can figure out what a word was when it was written just by reading the context and the amount of filtered letters, and if we can do that anyways then there is no reason to try and protect us from bad words because we already know them. And use them. A lot.

Yes, it’s true that filtered words still may be obvious in context. If the use of a kittened word is identified as an insult or as off-topic, it will be moderated anyway.
But most importantly, the filtered words shouldn’t be shown on this forum.
Basically, users may feel even more insulted when they see which kind of insult has been used – “kitten” is much less aggressive, isn’t it?
Another thing is, imagine you’re constantly confronted with inappropriate language all over the forums – or you’re a new user who will be disturbed by the forums because of the use of such words.

This topic has been discussed several times now, but always ends up under lots of other threads…

Greetings

Posted by: Fook.3914

Fook.3914

i love kittens…

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

to me kitten insert just makes people look like psychopaths instead of nasty mean and ugly, will take nasty any day.

Most of us can figure out what a word was when it was written just by reading the context and the amount of filtered letters, and if we can do that anyways then there is no reason to try and protect us from bad words because we already know them. And use them. A lot.

Yes, it’s true that filtered words still may be obvious in context. If the use of a kittened word is identified as an insult or as off-topic, it will be moderated anyway.
Basically, users may feel even more insulted when they see which kind of insult has been used – “kitten” is much less aggressive, isn’t it?
Another thing is, imagine you’re constantly confronted with inappropriate language all over the forums – or you’re a new user who will be disturbed by the forums because of the use of such words.

This topic has been discussed several times now, but always ends up under lots of other threads…

Greetings

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Greetings

May I recomend changing “Kitten” to "Puppy’?
What if some of us dont like Kittens? Maybe some of us like Puppies better?
Can we choose the filter we want between Puppies and Kittens?

Thanks =)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

At some point, kitten will become a swear word, and it will be censored… and replaced by puppy.

LMKO! (and yes that does say laughed my kitten off) too funny! Loved it. yeah and then they’ll replace that one with bunny.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

And that’s why people suggested **** or some other funny stuff, like, smth that doesn’t result in open animal cruelty…. Seen a censor go for [I have a potty mouth], which was nice….when the same censor started changing w**** to “saint”(one of the playable classes, locked to a 12-14 yo girl)…it didn’t last long for obvious reasons(still, “LF saint CHell” was never the same)…

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

LMKO! (and yes that does say laughed my kitten off) too funny! Loved it. yeah and then they’ll replace that one with bunny.

LMKO <——- lol

First time I saw kitten being used I thought it was some kind of eu slang O.o

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

All this kitten accomplished is turn an innocent simple word into a vague super swear word.
Just like with “frack” on Battlestar Galactica.

Censorship is for the weak minded.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Zaith.9132

Zaith.9132

Make a habit out of censoring yourself, and it can be funny and creative at the same time. If you want you can manually substitute “puppy” for a word you know/suspect will be kittened.

Or you can borrow a page from Marge Simpson: “THOSE FUD RUCKERS!”

Instead of “what the kitten?” or “holy kitten!”… try “swinging baloney!”

/me tips transmuted tier-3 crafted hat

(edited by Zaith.9132)

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

While I think the kittens are funny, maybe they should do it so that it’s like in Johnny Dangerously:

“You fargin icehole son of a bench!” etc.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Oxstar.7643

Greetings

If it’s been discussed multiple times then maybe you should take a hint…
Also we’re grown people, all of us.
Do you have a son or daughter? I promise you that in school they have already learned more swears, curses, and obscenities than you can think of off the top of your head.

JaironKalach.4938

Censorship is for the weak minded.

Nothing to do with censorship. It has to do with using a more respectful level of communication with strangers. There was a time when that was absolutely necessary, because an offended stranger might express their offense through violence. We still in modern society maintain similar rules in terms of public decency. In most places, you’re not allowed to walk around town naked, etc…

The internet, of course, is notoriously full of people who think that there is no reason for them to self-filter. Much like a flasher walking through town, that kind of thing tends to start to push people of out a community. So, internet forums generally have their own way of enforcing the community rules.

Think of it as an opportunity for growth. You can expand your self identity and means of self-expression beyond crudity and crude speech.

I play on Maguuma

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

Previous

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Next

Do you have a son or daughter? I promise you that in school they have already learned more swears, curses, and obscenities than you can think of off the top of your head.

That may be true – but they didn’t learn it from the Guild Wars 2 forums, that’s one of the points here.

Oxstar.7643

That may be true – but they didn’t learn it from the Guild Wars 2 forums, that’s one of the points here.

Well they WILL regardless of what you do, I don’t know why you folks even bother.
But whatever makes you feel good I suppose. It’s not like you’re doing a wrong thing.

JaironKalach.4938

If it’s been discussed multiple times then maybe you should take a hint…
Also we’re grown people, all of us.

These arguments don’t work for you like you think they do.

1) If we’re all “grown people” than I would expect that we can express ourselves better than use of simple inflammatory concepts, and there’s no need.

2) Even grown people don’t necessarily want to learn the limits of your vocabulary.

3) Just because my child has heard it on occasion at school doesn’t mean that it’s something I want to flood their head with. They may witness a horrific traffic accident, but that doesn’t mean I want them spending a large amount of time looking at dismembered bodies.

4) For a lot of us, those words are reserved (taboo, obscene) specifically because they are to only be used when there is a particularly extreme situation. Otherwise they don’t carry the weight necessary when the time comes.

I play on Maguuma

Oxstar.7643

To each his own. I’m not a goody two shoes or a samatarian more than pretty much anyone else but if you feel good about yourself, whatever.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I don’t think some of you realize the subtle psychology in play here. Replacing swear words with kitten actually defuses a lot of arguments around here. Swear words incite anger, which incites more swear words. Excessive use of swear words becomes nonsensical around here because of the censorship. It doesn’t stop people from being angry for whatever, but it does mitigate the feedback loop of being angry because someone else is angry.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Personally I’d just use the word “marklar” from south park. especially since everything and everyone is refereed to as marklar.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: HunterFox.2578

HunterFox.2578

Honestly just thought posters were purposely using kitten type variations for their swears when i first started reading the forums here haha. Thought it was a way around a TOS violation or something but the more you know —-——-*

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Because sheltering people always ends up with good results right? Yes you should attempt to not curse or be overtly abusive. However going the opposite direction is just as bad, and is just running from reality.

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

I actually like the use of the word “kitten.” It gives the forums and game character in my opinion. When I first started using these forums I thought users were typing the word out themselves, in relation to an aspect of the game. I like kittens and I don’t mind if AN substitutes our curse words with it.

JaironKalach.4938

Because sheltering people always ends up with good results right? Yes you should attempt to not curse or be overtly abusive. However going the opposite direction is just as bad, and is just running from reality.

Again, huge difference between sheltering and setting up community standards. Difference between occasional usage and the mindless drivel that ends up on uncensored forums.

Turns out that reality includes an awful lot of nasty things that I don’t include on a regular basis in my life and I don’t expect my (hypothetical) children to either. The internet is full of people who find it amusing to try to fill everyone’s lives with just those things. So, a community site with this one, has to set up a way to manage that. This, actually, is one of the most effective ones because of the psychological effects mentioned above and because it does allow people to write what they want to write without fear of banning, so it provides that psychological benefit as well.

I play on Maguuma

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

I’ve seen this thread pop up a few times. Allow me to set this to rest. We have no plans to change or disable the swear filter. The only changes that are made are fixes to false positives and other bugs, which is ongoing. As this thread does not contribute to Guild Wars 2 discussion, it will now be locked.