The cost of quick travel should be removed.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaz.1867

Gaz.1867

As the title says.

I really feel that the cost of travel ruins a lot of this game. Mostly for high level players. I also feel it is a significant portion of the reason why players leave the game. The system feels like its sucking the blood out of me.

An example: Someone calls out a dynamic event and links the waypoint, I proceed to pay a sum of money to travel to that waypoint, I take part in the event and am rewarded with a sum of money, then I pay to travel back to my previous location to finish of what I was doing before. By the end of it all the cost of travelling has eaten up about 70-90 percent of the monetary gain from taking part in the event and im left feeling like ive been totally screwed.

It makes the whole experience feel like a brutal grind with very little reward. Especially if the things you want to buy with the reward cost gold instead of karma.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Nothing is more awesome than being forced to log out of the game because you have died and haven’t enough coin to revive at the nearest uncontested waypoint.

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

Hmmm. I think it’s too valuable a gold sink to be rid of it. I could be wrong.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

They should absolutely not be removed. If anything their cost should be increased.

If you allow people to never be in the world, they won’t. If waypoints were free you would never see anyone out in the world, because people would just port to where they want to go.
The fact that it is costly means you are more likely to see people out in the world because they don’t want to use their precious coins.

This is an MMO. It wouldn’t be an MMO if you never saw other people.

Just look at WoW. Because of the flying mounts(and the fact that you have no reason to go outside of a city) you will never see anyone out in the open world.
Does that sound like an MMO experience to you?

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

This particular horse has been beaten to death already.

Necessary money sink. Nothing major. You’ll pay for it with a couple of monster kills.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Nothing is more awesome than being forced to log out of the game because you have died and haven’t enough coin to revive at the nearest uncontested waypoint.

Love how often the word forced is thrown around these forums.

Waypointing is free if you don’t have enough coin to revive. Maybe you should actually experience things before complaining about them?

Waypoint costs are a necessary goldsink to keep the economy in check. There is no possible way that these fees could or should ever be removed. Walk if you don’t want to spend the coin.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Elbegast.6970

Waypointing is free if you don’t have enough coin to revive. Maybe you should actually experience things before complaining about them?….

…. Walk if you don’t want to spend the coin.

Waypointing is free if I’m broke and dead? Since when? I’ve had to relog many times because every surrounding waypoint was ‘contested’ and I was too broke to revive anywhere else.

And I usually DO walk everywhere in-game. And when I say ‘walk’ I mean that I actually walk. I haven’t ran in a very long time. Running and waypointing kills the immersion. I only wish we weren’t FORCED to use waypoints to revive upon death. Do you see how that works?

Posted by: Bullk.5836

Bullk.5836

Waypointing is free if you don’t have enough coin to revive. Maybe you should actually experience things before complaining about them?

Waypoint costs are a necessary goldsink to keep the economy in check. There is no possible way that these fees could or should ever be removed. Walk if you don’t want to spend the coin.

Only free to nearest wp if wp is contested (99% of Orr) your kitten out of luck

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Waypointing is free if I’m broke and dead? Since when? I’ve had to relog many times because every surrounding waypoint was ‘contested’ and I was too broke to revive anywhere else.

And I usually DO walk everywhere in-game. And when I say ‘walk’ I mean that I actually walk. I haven’t ran in a very long time. Running and waypointing kills the immersion. I only wish we weren’t FORCED to use waypoints to revive upon death. Do you see how that works?

I was mistaken about the nearest waypoint being free when contested.

I guess I just haven’t experienced it for a long long time, but how can you possible be too broke to not afford a waypoint, especially if you don’t use them as you say?

And, as for your forced waypoint use, what do you suggest as an alternative? That we’re automatically ported somewhere else upon death? What if I don’t want to go there? Then I’m “forced” to waypoint to the place I want to go.

I see no problem with the system as is personally.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

They should absolutely not be removed. If anything their cost should be increased.

If you allow people to never be in the world, they won’t. If waypoints were free you would never see anyone out in the world, because people would just port to where they want to go.
The fact that it is costly means you are more likely to see people out in the world because they don’t want to use their precious coins.

This is an MMO. It wouldn’t be an MMO if you never saw other people.

Just look at WoW. Because of the flying mounts(and the fact that you have no reason to go outside of a city) you will never see anyone out in the open world.
Does that sound like an MMO experience to you?

This doesn’t make any sense at all. I think he was saying the opposite actually.

People might do events if the monetary rewards were at least the cost it took you to travel there. Right now dungeons are much more lucrative and only cost the WP fee to get there once(I use WvW to get back to LA).

Side Note: If CoF P1 ever gets fixed, I think a lot of the gold sinks could be reevaluated, but right now the economy is all effed up because of it.

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

At level 80 its 1 silver and 39 copper. Kill 3 random mobs and you can make that much money most of the time. I see no problem with the fee for fast travel, and if you are broke, wiki says its free and doesn’t mention any distance limit.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint

Edit: I take that back, from wiki “If the waypoint is contested, you will have to wait to travel (or have someone mail you the cost to travel to the next nearest waypoint).”

Posted by: Gaz.1867

Gaz.1867

Your level scales depending on which zone your in.

Your reward scales depending on which zone your in.

Your travel cost does not scale depending on which zone your in.

This is broken imo. If its not removed then it needs to be scaled depending on the zone. Otherwise it costs more to travel to events than you get from the rewards.

As for meeting other players. Ive played about 20 hours this week and can count the amount of players ive met on 1 hand. Having an expensive travel cost doesnt help you meet other players, it makes it more difficult because people refuse to pay to travel to event areas.

Why does it even need to be used as a money sink? Isnt the ingame shop enough for a money sink? Isnt the auction house enough for a money sink? Why break gameplay to try control an economy that is already destroyed by bots.

Elbegast.6970

At level 80 its 1 silver and 39 copper. Kill 3 random mobs and you can make that much money most of the time. I see no problem with the fee for fast travel, and if you are broke, wiki says its free and doesn’t mention any distance limit.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint

Edit: I take that back, from wiki “If the waypoint is contested, you will have to wait to travel (or have someone mail you the cost to travel to the next nearest waypoint).”

…OR log out and back in to your home town for free and you don’t have to suffer the humiliation of begging for funds or for a revive from a passing player. Therefore, the default becomes to log out and back in…and it feels terrible. It almost feels like an exploit….which further ruins immersion.

Posted by: Tidbit.9352

Tidbit.9352

What I think they should do is add two tokens or consumables to the gem shop. The first one is a token that will make quick travel to any way point, already unlocked, be free of charge for 1 hour. The second one would be a token that permanently makes all way points free of charge. Just make the cost enough that people would have to really consider if it would be worth it or not.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

If you don’t save at least 1 gold in your inventory to waypoint to places, you probably deserve your fate lol. I admit that I was in this situation a couple of times, but I quickly learned to keep aside some money for waypointing, and it helps a ton.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

If you don’t save at least 1 gold in your inventory to waypoint to places, you probably deserve your fate lol. I admit that I was in this situation a couple of times, but I quickly learned to keep aside some money for waypointing, and it helps a ton.

Not everyone has the gold to just “save 1 gold” on all characters at all times.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Not everyone has the gold to just “save 1 gold” on all characters at all times.

If you’re level 80, I mean. And if you don’t have at least 1g per character when you’re level 80, you need to find a different game. Doing any major event will get you more than 1g.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’ve never once had a problem with WP and money. I WP constantly due to excessive death. I don’t want to try and even total up the cost of doing the dive achievement and sky crystals. I just keep a small emergency fund.

Tip for later. Run the sprint race a few times and you will get plenty of WP money plus loot for more money if you sell it. Now is the time to build up that WP fund before the event is over.

The Burninator