The cultural armor set prices

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Retrobond.4798

Retrobond.4798

I just want to know if these set pieces would change in the future or it will stay the same. I know the prices were raised because there was an exploit involved around them during the first few weeks. Now that time has passed and possibly the exploit loop has been fixed would the prices be dropped down again or will it stay the same? Currently, buying a whole set of the cultural armor tier 3 set totals 119g while the orders whole armor set only totals to 8g.

Just want to see if this is permanent as I’m starting to save gold for it.

Posted by: Kedryn.2981

Kedryn.2981

Also because, besides hard core farmers, gold buyers, or no-life gamers, or cheaters, there is no way someone would ammass and “waste” 119 gold for a full set, or over 600g for the achievement. I play nearly every day, for many hours, not farming but doing many things, and i have 19g….

it’s cheaper to make a legendary than to make the fashion achievement…

Posted by: Sinphul.3091

Sinphul.3091

I’m only level 59, haven’t had a chance to play for a few days and have 21g. If you’re that broke playing many hours a day you’re doing something wrong.

Posted by: GregT.4702

GregT.4702

Ditto. I can craft equivalent stats to a tier 3 set for about 9 gold, and sure, there should probably be some discount representing the time and investment put into maxing the discipline, but surely 10% of the cost of the cultural set is not an intended discrepancy?

Especially considering that a lot of the tier 3 cultural sets look fairly boring? I mean, it’s not like they have animations or particle effects like the legendaries. The norn female medium set, for example, is arguably uglier than the basic level 1-80 medium drops.

Retrobond.4798

I’m only level 59, haven’t had a chance to play for a few days and have 21g. If you’re that broke playing many hours a day you’re doing something wrong.

For the record, I ain’t broke. The reason I’m asking is because these were not the original prices of these armor sets when the game came out. It was raised because it was exploited by people. These armor sets total to 10g before it was raised to fight the exploit loop found. And time has passed and possibly the loop fixed or not. So maybe put the prices back to it’s original state to be in loop with the other armor sets like the Orders.

GregT.4702

For the record, I ain’t broke. The reason I’m asking is because these were not the original prices of these armor sets when the game came out. It was raised because it was exploited by people. These armor sets total to 10g before it was raised to fight the exploit loop found. And time has passed and possibly the loop fixed or not. So maybe put the prices back to it’s original state to be in loop with the other armor sets like the Orders.

Yes. There’s no point in having an armour set that’s exponentially more expensive than its peers unless it’s at least slightly more attractive in terms of either stats of appearance.

I mean, maybe if you could wear cultural armour as town clothes AS WELL AS battle armour, and it came with costume brawl skills as a result. That would still be lame, but at least it would be an attempt to justify its price.

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

I think there is a large gap in between Legendary Weapons, Tier 3 Armors, and the rest of the normal exotic gear.

There needs to be a middle ground of rare weapons and armors to work towards too, that are require half the effort.

Retrobond.4798

I think there is a large gap in between Legendary Weapons, Tier 3 Armors, and the rest of the normal exotic gear.

There needs to be a middle ground of rare weapons and armors to work towards too, that are require half the effort.

I wouldn’t argue that the T3 Armors are in par aesthetically with the Legendary Weapons. It is probably on par with the cost though if you’re going for the Cultural Armor achievement.

I agree there should be middle ground armor but given that the state of GW2 right now is still young there might be more exotics we’ll see. But they dropped the ball on not making new Halloween armor sets(not rehash). That is a huge chance for a middle ground gear.

Posted by: Dualius.4916

Dualius.4916

Can I second this with a violent and loud hell yeah? As a new player, and given the current state of our economy, gold is hard to come by. At level 35 (currently 37 yo), I had managed to amass the 2 gold and 88 silver required for the cultural set, plus some loose change, however I just couldnt bring myself to buy the cultural armor. How can I when gladiator (or barbarian, not sure) armor is available on the TP for as little as 80s for the set. Heck, could even have grinded crafting and made it myself.

Cultural armor sets are if anything else meant to show off some meager form of racial pride. The armor is designed specifically to look good on one and only one race. Why put it at an unreasonable pricepoint? Just makes nobody want to buy it.

Posted by: Hyena.7963

Hyena.7963

Speaking purely as an elitist, I like the prices just as they are.

Posted by: Katostrophe.3274

Katostrophe.3274

Biggest lie in this thread, especially because you purposely ignore the reason for the thread and give your non-sense 2 cents that doesn’t help anything.

The cultural prices are way way too high. No one is ever going to spend that much on a full set, which is why after months of playing this game I’ve yet to see ONE player in a full-cultural suit. Not ONE.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Why dont they just put legendarys on sale from a merchant for 9g too right guys?
No, T3 cultural armor is supposed to be expensive. Either farm up the gold or find another set that you like and buy it.
Seriously, stop trying to find ways to get rid of a portion of the endgame.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

GregT.4702

Biggest lie in this thread, especially because you purposely ignore the reason for the thread and give your non-sense 2 cents that doesn’t help anything.

The cultural prices are way way too high. No one is ever going to spend that much on a full set, which is why after months of playing this game I’ve yet to see ONE player in a full-cultural suit. Not ONE.

I’m in a full-cultural suit, appearance wise, although the stats are from my crafted leather exotics.

But I agree with the point that tier 3 is too expensive, yes.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

They should at least be exotics with uncraftable stats such as pow/vit/tough to give incentive to buy the tier3 sets. Keeping the tier1 and tier2 sets as rares is probably fine.

Jrunyon.3012

And, sup bro?
It may not be a full set but its only because I dont like the boots and head piece and I like the Halloween shoulders better. Stop making up facts, youre only hurting yourself. I see plenty of people with T3 armor on.

Attachments:

Nesmee – Thief

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

There’s plenty of armours out there, get one of those, or combine different pieces and create something unique.

Tier 3 sets gold price is fine, and should stay like this, it’s unique, it’s for the lucky or dedicated ones, I see no reason at all to change it.

I farmed up to 30 gold and bought the Human cultural tier 3 chest, then I got lucky with a black lion chest drop and sold the item for more gold and was able to get two more pieces.

It’s something for me to strive for and nothing that should be changed.

(edited by Farzo.8410)

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

it would cost you over 120$ real money to buy them at current gem shard exchange rate. just let that sink in for a second.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Jrunyon.3012

it would cost you over 120$ real money to buy them at current gem shard exchange rate. just let that sink in for a second.

Whats your point?

Nesmee – Thief

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Not a drastic reduction, maybe something like 60-80 gold would be fine with me. Still hard, but a lot more achievable. It would still take the average guy months to get the money needed, provided they don’t purchase anything else (like stuff for alts, new accessories for different build, etc.)

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

Cultural prices are fine. Quit whining that you are unable to afford it. It’s supposed to be hard.

Jrunyon.3012

I agree that the current prices are a bit ridiculous for Tier 3 Cultural armor. As far as I know they aren’t even Exotics, but are actually Rares. For the price of over 100g, this is rather silly. I could understand if the price was 25, or even 50… but well over 100 is just silly.

But you guys seem to not understand that YOU ARE BUYING THE SKIN!
The stats are bad so you go and spend a couple of gold on the exotic stats that you want and transmute it, did you want them to have a million different sets for sale so that you can get the stats you want? No, that doesnt make sense at all. And I guarantee if they just had one stat set up that were exotic then there would be a ton of posts complaining about that. I seriously dont see the issue here.

Nesmee – Thief

Farzo.8410

All I can read is that people comment on “The cost does not live up to stats and therefore the price should be reduced a lot more so I can buy it.”

It exists for one reason, and that is appearance, it’s a vanity item for players who strives for it.

If the stats are bad, don’t buy it, buy another set of armour with better stats.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I’ve almost got full charr t3 cultural, I just need a few more gold for the coat. Don’t say no one has it. I’m proud to say my warrior looks positively bad kitten

And oh yeah. I decided to get it after I’d already put at least 35 hours and a hundred runs or so into CoF to get a full CoF set.

Prices are fine.

Farzo.8410

No, we simply choose none of your options since it’s fine just the way it is.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Long Term goal, the prices are fine, but why is there a long term goal on standard looking armor that appears no more special than items you can farm much cheaper and faster in a dungeon?

I do not understand the idea of wanting cultural armor to be such a long term goal. If anything, cultural armor should be some of the cheapest, it’s part of your culture.

Hyena.7963

Long Term goal, the prices are fine, but why is there a long term goal on standard looking armor that appears no more special than items you can farm much cheaper and faster in a dungeon?

I do not understand the idea of wanting cultural armor to be such a long term goal. If anything, cultural armor should be some of the cheapest, it’s part of your culture.

If it’s standard-looking and there are cheaper, faster alternatives… Why do you care?

The fact that it’s so expensive is part of what makes it so valuable. They make thousand-dollar articles of clothing in real life that’re no better than what you can get at a Goodwill store, but people still buy them. It’s prestige.

Farzo.8410

No, we simply choose none of your options since it’s fine just the way it is.

That is your opinion, of course.

Of course, I didn’t really mean we, it was badly stated from my side. My opinion.

I don’t mind paying for the Tier 3 set, and then a real Exotic set, I haven’t had a problem with transmutation stones or that kind of stuff since I do key runs with newly created characters, it takes around 25 minutes to get a Black Lion Key from the Commoner personally story, so no, I think it is fine the way it is.

fellyn.5083

All I can read is that people comment on “The cost does not live up to stats and therefore the price should be reduced a lot more so I can buy it.”

It exists for one reason, and that is appearance, it’s a vanity item for players who strives for it.

If the stats are bad, don’t buy it, buy another set of armour with better stats.

You have not been reading my entire post then, have you? Read the rest of it.

It does not exist only for appearance, else it would be a transmutation item like the Hall of Monuments rewards. It was designed to be used immediately, hence why it comes with stats carefully chosen to represent each race’s flavor of combat.

Do you really think it’s better to have to spend on the T3, transmutation stones, and another set of armor – just to get the skin? Justify your answer.

Actually it does exist purely for appearance. You cannot get those skins anywhere else in the game and they are for the specific race only. How can yo say they don’t exist purely for that?

And if you’ll notice. There is only 1 set of cultural armor. That is because Anet intended for you to transmute them onto an armor set of your choice that has stats you want.

Think beyond just “OMG EXPENSIVE” and you’ll realize there is a reason for the price.

P.S. I haven’t spent a cent on fine transmutation stones or keys. I got them purely through playing the game. Quit being dramatic.

Posted by: norc.5073

norc.5073

You can see a lot of cultural armor wearers. And the gold is not that hard to come by.

If you are willing to invest time (actual experience or business background is not needed, you just need to do it – buying low and selling high is a simple concept), TPing can get you a metric crapton of gold in notime. That is arguably the most profitable venture in GW2 hands down.

But even without the TP, daily Ori farming can easily net you upwards 10g a day for very little time invested. And just the passive income you get from most PvE content or even just plain WvW is just an additional bonus. You just have to make sure to salvage the right stuff, know what to vendor, and possibly craft resources if it makes sense to do so.

Just give it some thought, and maybe just jump into the cold water – I promise you won’t regret it.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

I agree the prices are too much, they should indeed be expensive but not so much. Also there really is no middle ground for a player to strive for, either you hit Lv80 and quickly get everything you want or work non stop on getting your legendary/cultural tier 3 sets, there’s no middle ground for all players to strive for.

One thing’s for sure though, if they DO plan on lowering the cost – I would hope they either do that really soon or at least let us know there are plans to lower the cost for the set in the future. Because it would just be inhumane to make someone sweat blood working their way to getting 120 gold to just have the price on the set lowered soon after they buy it.

I think a fair price would be around some 60 gold total for the full set.

illgot.1056

If it’s standard-looking and there are cheaper, faster alternatives… Why do you care?

The fact that it’s so expensive is part of what makes it so valuable. They make thousand-dollar articles of clothing in real life that’re no better than what you can get at a Goodwill store, but people still buy them. It’s prestige.

in real life, expensive clothing is made better than the clothing you can get at Old Navy.

Also in real life, we are expected to wear certain types of clothing for our jobs. Be that a uniform made one size fits all in China or a suit designed in Italy with expensive fabrics.

In game, the only thing cultural armor servers for is appearance, just not sure why cultural armor is so expensive and why there is no Legendary armor to work on.

(edited by illgot.1056)

fellyn.5083

I agree the prices are too much, they should indeed be expensive but not so much. Also there really is no middle ground for a player to strive for, either you hit Lv80 and quickly get everything you want or work non stop on getting your legendary/cultural tier 3 sets, there’s no middle ground for all players to strive for.

One thing’s for sure though, if they DO plan on lowering the cost – I would hope they either do that really soon or at least let us know there are plans to lower the cost for the set in the future. Because it would just be inhumane to make someone sweat blood working their way to getting 120 gold to just have the price on the set lowered soon after they buy it.

As far as prices go. I think the gold price is fine, currently. But then I think it would be awesome if they reduced the gold price by about 50 to 75% and tacked on an additional karma cost. So like the coat for example would go from 30g down to 15g, and cost an additional 50k karma.

I’m not sure what would be a good karma to gold ratio but I think no one would protest over that change.

Farzo.8410

in real life, expensive clothing is made better than the clothing you can get at Old Navy.

Like the pixels on tier 3 is cooler than other armours!

My opinion of course

illgot.1056

My opinion of course

My cultural armor is syvari and I think it all looks like crap. I would never spend more than 50 silver for any of it, and mainly just because I want to see how it glows at night, not really that I want to wear it.

Farzo.8410

My opinion of course

My cultural armor is syvari and I think it all looks like crap. I would never spend more than 50 silver for any of it, and mainly just because I want to see how it glows at night, not really that I want to wear it.

Well, then I don’t see the problem? It’s ugly for you, don’t buy it then.

Posted by: ddoi.9264

ddoi.9264

I like to think of it as another goal to grind for; an alternative to legendaries. If you want it, you can get it. Eventually. Under a few months. No RNG, no gambling with mystic forge. It diminishes the rarity and bragging factor of owning one, but a realistic goal is worth far more striving for.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

T3 cultural armor is the FoW armor of GW2 its sole reason to exist is for the wealthy to dump their gold back into the economy and say "look at me I’m rich " with an armor skin . In other words it’s not suppose to be easy to obtain .

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

So wait, what about the other people who DID work their kittens off for it. I guess you dont care about them as long as YOU get it for cheap right?
Come on man.. Think about what you just said.

But that’s the point, I would be completely fine with the prices being the way they are. I do think it’s a big extreme and would make more sense if it was lowered to about 60g total, but if they do plan on lowering it, it’d be sad for those who spent so much money on it.

Apparently the set didn’t start off so expensive and they only made it so because of an exploit, which means it was not originally meant to be so elite. Which means anyone who managed to buy it while it was still cheap got off lucky, which is still unfair.

I’m currently working on my cultural tier 3 sylvari set and am more than halfway there, I will buy it because I find it absolutely beautiful. However it does hurt a lot, 120g is a lot of money.

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

As far as I know of there are only Legend weapons…no armor legends as of yet

Also Cultural armor is Rare (not even exotic) and mainly for 1: fashion, 2: Achievement, 3: A gold sink…

Basically its something to waste gold on while not being a required game aspect…So I am pretty sure the prices will stay the same…And there are some players who do have a ton of gold atm…just because You dont farm doesnt mean others dont…if everything was super cheap gold would become worthless in a very short amount of time and auction house prices would skyrocket

fellyn.5083

There was no exploit for cultural armor. I’m pretty certain the cultural armor has always been the same price.

The exploit you’re probably thinking of us the cultural weapons that were being bought for 25 karma.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Personally, I’d like if they could be obtained with karma.

I think maybe 200k per piece would be fair considering the current ease of getting karma. This way they are still a long term goal, but also a fair amount of time in my opinion.

illgot.1056

There was no exploit for cultural armor. I’m pretty certain the cultural armor has always been the same price.

The exploit you’re probably thinking of us the cultural weapons that were being bought for 25 karma.

Fellyn, there was a short period where you could buy cultural armor VERY cheap because they misplaced a decimal.

Not too shabby when you could buy a Tier 3 for less than 24 silver.

do some research.

Farzo.8410

My opinion of course

Well, then I don’t see the problem? It’s ugly for you, don’t buy it then.

you are full of angst aren’t you?

Why is it my problem? Why do you care?

Not at all.

I don’t see why they should become cheaper when you think your race’s armour looks bad just so you can buy them anyway?

Posted by: Siv.4351

Siv.4351

I’ve no problem with the price, the only issue I have is once you have transmuted it onto your gear, its there for good. If you want to play with a different spec and gear for it, you either re-farm the hundred odd gold for another set of t3 to put on your new stuff, or destroy your old gear to bring the look with you.

Getting it in the first place is enough of an achievement. It’d be nice if there was a collections tab for cultural pieces.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Eventually, it’s affordable. The issue I have is that there is no way to consistently make gold just playing the game normally through in game activities. I shouldn’t have to spend 3 hours a day picking gatherables or flip stuff on the AH to make reasonable amounts of gold.

Posted by: Sinphul.3091

Sinphul.3091

Overreact much? Making gold isn’t hard. For some not spending it on new stuff every level is. Decide what you want, budget time and gold and get it. Making things easier is not fun.

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

Y’know the price of Swarovski jewellery needs to come down, cuz “besides hard core farmers, gold buyers, or no-life gamers, or cheaters, there is no way someone would ammass and “waste” $500 for a full set”… kitten

The cultural armours (and weapons) are considered as premium fashion items, much like all the bling-bling of real life. It will and should stay at its current price because for those of us who plan our finances towards obtaining them, it will set us apart from people who are only willing to procrastinate and pick low-hanging fruit. Is there an achievement for wearing a full set of Tier 6 crafter items? Or maybe a full set dungeon armour? No, there isn’t; but it is an achievement for obtaining a full set of cultural armour, in more ways than one.

I play for 2-3 hours a weeknight (and more during weekends) and I have already acquired 3/6 pieces of my Tier 3 Sylvari. If I get some game time tonight, I’ll be able to pick up the chest piece as my forth. Yes, compared to many, that’s a glacial pace. But I am having a blast playing the game and working towards a lofty goal (that’s not a legendary), knowing full well the familiar sense of satisfaction I’ll feel when I eventually save up for the full set. Best of all, it beats being just another dude in COF armour.

Hyena.7963

No it isn’t.

Also in real life, we are expected to wear certain types of clothing for our jobs. Be that a uniform made one size fits all in China or a suit designed in Italy with expensive fabrics.

I don’t get what this has to do with what I asked you. You’re not “expected” to wear your cultural armor. It’s not a uniform. It’s a cool outfit that costs a lot of money because it’s intended to be exclusive.

If you consider playing this game your job then what you’re “expected” to wear is a suit of exotic armor, not a massively-expensive set of rares.

In game, the only thing cultural armor servers for is appearance, just not sure why cultural armor is so expensive and why there is no Legendary armor to work on.

Right. My question was “why do you care?” It’s just for appearance.

It’s expensive because, like I said just now, it’s intended to be exclusive. You’re not supposed to wear it, nor are you expected to wear it. It’s a status symbol. It’s why there are three tiers of it at vastly different price ranges. Tier 3 is supposed to be rarer than tiers 1 and 2. If it wasn’t, people would just save up for it and nobody would wear the first two because the third usually looks so much cooler.

If you don’t like that it’s hard to obtain a set then I should explain that if you didn’t have to work for it then everyone would have it and there wouldn’t even be a point to having it around.

You can actually consider it the legendary armor, albeit the entire set will end up costing far less than Sunrise or Twilight.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

@ Hyena – I see your point, but the problem is that in a game where you can literally buy gold from the developer, NOTHING is really exclusive or prestigious. It takes ZERO work to buy gems—>gold and then buy cultural armor, which is why I personally feel like it should be like the cultural weapons and purchased with an in game currency that can NOT be bought with real $$$ and must be earned.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I posted a question in another thread but just to derail this a bit: I heard sylvari t3 cultural armors glow. Does the same glow for asura t3/t2?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.