The etiquette of standing inside people

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Being new to the mmo world, I’m still learning the ropes when it comes to gaming etiquette. And this is area that’s intrigued me for a while. This post is made half in jest, half serious curiosity.

There are some situations (like stacking) where it is entirely warranted to be inside each other’s airspace. Then there are times when you’re waiting on a boss and there’s plenty of space around you but some big toon decides to park himself over you.

What’s the feeling on this? Is it poor etiquette to overlap, or is it a compliment? Maybe they’re just saying, “hey, you picked an awesome spot. Let’s share.” Am I being rude if I enter another player’kittenbox without asking? And does anyone else go around other players when running somewhere, rather than through them?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I can’t say I’ve ever been bothered by or cared about where someone else is standing, excluding places like jumping puzzles where another player can block your field of view.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t think there’s any sort of hard and fast rule or any real etiquette. It’s more what’s comfortable for you. For me, crowded, I don’t care. Running through someone, I don’t care. Standing alone in an open area, not harvesting or anything and someone getting inside you, that’s probably trying to bug you. Not rude, but they are probably trying to get a reaction.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

As an Asuran, I think it’s totally fun to hide under Charr or Norn characters.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

It’s best if they’re a medium armour class with a nice big coat to hide in

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

As a reflector for Triple Trouble, it can be hard sometimes when another player stands inside of you. Because then you have to look through two people to see the wurm’s animations.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Selver.1307

Selver.1307

I’ve never heard of etiquette on the subject, I treat it like RL myself. Give people space as best I can. In most scenarios where I’m standing is not “my spot” anyway and it’s generally okay for me to be able to step out of them.

But yes. Especially on my asura, I don’t like when people (intentionally) overshadow you. I like to see everyone provided situation warrants it (great for ideas).

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

I tend to give space while running and fighting. While gathering resources is different, since there is usually limited space. Otherwise I assume people want to see their character’s animation as much as I want to see mine

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

What’s the feeling on this?

I feel he’s from a zerg busting guild

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Some people can’t stand it. Some people don’t care. Some teenage boys like to stand their pixelated male character in a certain way relative to any female set of pixels. Some mechanics favor stacking right on top of each other.

I try to view it as a “when in Tyria, do as the Tyrians do” sort of situation.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Jump on the world boss train and see how many people care if you’re standing on the same box as them! We will gladly share our spot with 100 other people for the glory of BOX!!

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I always try to put my character in a spot outside of other people, barring situations in combat where I need to stand in a specific spot to avoid dying or whatever.

Nothing really to do with “etiquette”, I just prefer to see my character unblocked and make them seem more “solid”. If they’re just clipping through other people then it diminishes the illusion of reality. Not that this game is particularly realistic to begin with, but still.

I also do other things for the same reason, like whenever I harvest nodes I try to put my character the right distance away so their tool actually hits the ore / tree. Which isn’t to say I sit there for a minute getting it perfect, but if I actually happen to get it just right I’m like “Aw yah”

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Lol this thread reminds me of my old days playing Runescape. There I had a friend who would often moan to me in private message (whisper) that other players were always “standing on her or her toes” while in the bank or just out in the world killing mobs. She was dead serious, it was no joke, she really could not stand it and it drove her mad every day lol.

Me, I just know there is limited space and the game would be unplayable if there was body blocking or any such thing. As for this thread and GW2. It’s impossible to be able to bank or use a merchant without standing on other people. However if I am running somewhere in the game world and see another player running towards me I will run to the side of them or get out of their way. I do this mainly for my own immersion if anything. Hey if it helps their immersion too well then it’s win win.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Oh sometimes I like to play “leap frog” over Asuran’s when I see them just standing around doing nothing. And if there are 2 or 3 of them very close to each other then it gets REAL fun!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

My only problems is max size Charr/Norns wearing those screen-covering wings in small places like JPs or choke points where I need to see/target the enemy but can’t… Sigh.

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

New wvw Zerg meta, have a charr stand until the enemy Zerg comes , then he gives birth to 50 asurans steamrolling the enemy Zerg

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

I used to do that with my smallest Asura….but after 1st person camera come and I hide in some Big Norn guardian…. I raised the carmera up….

Cannot be unseen -/-\- . . .

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

I used to do that with my smallest Asura….but after 1st person camera come and I hide in some Big Norn guardian…. I raised the carmera up….

Cannot be unseen -/-\- . . .

Inappropriate!

:)

Attachments:

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I move a few feet whether I’m the embedder or the embedee. Never had anyone object to my moving or to the overlap, so not sure there’s much of a concern.

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

I generally don’t care if someone does it. I myself don’t do it because I like to see my own chara clearly.
Also, not sure how often that happens but sometimes you don’t see another at the position they’re actually in due to server lag or the like, so it could happen accidentally. You think you’re standing right next to them, but in reality you overlap.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

I don’t care and nor should you. Bunch of pixels.

RL of course is a different story.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I often breathe down peoples necks untill they port if i ress them and they don’t say ty.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t care and nor should you. Bunch of pixels.

Don’t need no pixel pervs looking at my pixel underwear. \o/

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

It’s completely irrelevant. Stand where ever you want.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

Oh sometimes I like to play “leap frog” over Asuran’s when I see them just standing around doing nothing. And if there are 2 or 3 of them very close to each other then it gets REAL fun!

I only play asuras, but i always love to jump over fellow asurans, dogs, cats or any other object on my travels. I always move to the left or right if a large character stands on top of me, thought it was only me who it bothered lol.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

I play on the TC server and every now and then despite the megaserver I’ll get lumped in with the RP crowd, so I’ll generally avoid standing/walking through someone because they might in character it would likely ruin immersion for them (I know it would for me). I’d say outside of RP it doesn’t matter too much, but in towns with RPers maybe be a little mindful of it?

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

While I have never stood inside anyone intentionally (except at an event) I find it a bit awkward to be running and run through someone by mistake. I feel like I should apologize but that is not always an option anyway.

It could be worse. In second life some people get offended when others look at them too closely because they think people are trying to see what skins they have on and copy their look.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

It varies a lot, and some people will stand inside you just to annoy you if they know it bothers you.
But in general I think its appropriate to give people space unless gameplay actually calls for stacking. Minor exceptions include banks/vendors (although I try to find an “open space” myself), node mining.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I am ok with stacking EXCEPT jumping puzzles. If you are a large race or have those stupid angel wings, GTFO of my way.

Posted by: Loremaster.9261

Loremaster.9261

I totaly relate to what you wrote OP ^^
I run around charactes (even npc:s) rather then walk through them and feel like it’s intimate or rude when people stand too close to my character unless it’s in a fight. I also hate people parking their character on me…(charrs I am looking at you guys).

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I personally find it funny! I have a delicate winged elementalist, and a giant bearded norn parks onto her, and it’s like he’s just trying to place himself there to wait for the boss but he’s a bit clumsy. hahah

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Not really a problem for me- it’s not something I actively think about.

I do stand under charr/norn as an asura because it’s a bunch of fun and just a bit silly.

If somebody was following me around and purposefully trying to stand on my exact position every time then yes, I would be annoyed as somebody is going out of their way to obscure/intimidate or something along those lines.

I also agree that it is annoying doing a JP with a huge charr or norn standing in front using billowy robes. I usually put on a tight-fitting outfit for these if I’m using a large character, just to make sure nobody behind me is suffering. :P

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

When it comes to players standing on my character, for me it’s ZFG (Zero kittens Given). If someone is blocking the view of my character and I want to see my character, I simply move. There is no etiquette on this and there shouldn’t be because it’s not a problem. I think you’re trying to split hairs at this point OP, making an issue out of something that isn’t an issue.

For anyone who is for some odd reason (it makes no sense to me but whatever) offended by another player that just happens to park their character where you are, as long as you don’t let it be known that you are bothered by it, it won’t be done deliberately. If you let it be known that you are bothered by it, you WILL get swarmed by all the bored players around you, that I guarantee you. There is no such thing as ‘personal space’ in the context of the game, so please don’t think you are entitled to such because you are not. Do as I do: don’t let it bother you and simply press an arrow key once. Problem solved.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I don’t mind. I will move aside for others, sometimes if I’m running, but at the bank, or whatever, I don’t even pay attention.

Some people are more sensitive, I guess. But I don’t care, personally. It might bother me if I played a smaller race. I hadn’t thought of that.

Also, in response to a previous post, as a norn, I usually wait behind if somebody else is doing a jumping puzzle along with me. Not because I don’t want to get in their way. But because it’s just so freaking impossible for me to do it without a clear path sometimes…

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

I hate when people stand in me

Attachments:

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I hate when people stand in me

Press an arrow key. Done. Death The Kid at least does something about the asymmetry that bothers him. Be like Death The Kid, do something about it and press an arrow key. You’ll be glad you did.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Did they at least call you back the next day?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think I’ve ever really thought about it. Unless I’m trying to take a screenshot, and then I just move aside.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ToriSama.5270

ToriSama.5270

New wvw Zerg meta, have a charr stand until the enemy Zerg comes , then he gives birth to 50 asurans steamrolling the enemy Zerg

LOL! That would be crazy to see!

To answer the question, I can’t stand it personally. I’m like “Move, you rude kitten!”

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

I hate it when people stand in/on top of my character. I just move to the side though, haven’t had anyone follow me yet. As someone else mentioned, I think they might be doing it unintentionally because of server lag and you might not be standing at the exact same spot on someone else’s screen.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The opposite brings its own fun. In second life (and elsewhere) characters are physical. This leads to two games:

“let’s all push the afker somewhere they do not want to be”

“just how high a stack of players CAN we make before someone moves”

Posted by: Nox Lucis.8341

Nox Lucis.8341

I’ve never given much thought to standing in people, but I did once use the sleep emote before going afk for a minute, and when I got back some dude was spooning me. Now tell me where THAT falls within MMO etiquette.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Once when playing my full size Norn I had two Asuras doing figure eights between my legs in Rata Sum. I thought it was kinda cute.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I think a lot of times people aren’t necessarily aware of it. Your character model may not have loaded at the time of them going AFK for a while on that spot. If you move a few feet over, and they move over you again, then it’s purposely done, of course. If they do it on purpose, I just guess they’re green with envy of how awesome you look.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Only time I care is when I’m doing a jumping puzzle. Having someone else jumping at the same time in some places can throw me off or block my view of the landing spot.

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I’ve never given much thought to standing in people, but I did once use the sleep emote before going afk for a minute, and when I got back some dude was spooning me. Now tell me where THAT falls within MMO etiquette.

They probably just wanted to make sure you didn’t get cold.

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

I have to add this for the sake of humor.

So, months ago, my guild played mostly humans. I was the only asura. So, we were going to do a dungeon, and everyone wanted to see if they could cover me up all together (I didn’t mind).

Then someone walked passed us. Stopped, and asked: “What are you doing?”

Then one of my guildmates said: “We are cuddling. Do you want to cuddle with us?”

The guy said: “Sure!

That made my day.

Posted by: Odyssey.6523

Odyssey.6523

I honestly sort of wish it was coded that 2 players could not occupy the same spot at the same time. I get that its a lot of server data to pass back and forth but I feel like tactics like stacking and what not wouldn’t work as well, causing more tactical gameplay, and it would just be a bit more immersive as well.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I honestly sort of wish it was coded that 2 players could not occupy the same spot at the same time. I get that its a lot of server data to pass back and forth but I feel like tactics like stacking and what not wouldn’t work as well, causing more tactical gameplay, and it would just be a bit more immersive as well.

Body blocking would then be a thing- can you imagine a bunch of trolls standing in front of entrances and NPCs?

I guess I don’t like standing in a crowd either, but that just gives me incentive to see what I can climb on top of to get away from it.

Posted by: Nox Lucis.8341

Nox Lucis.8341

They probably just wanted to make sure you didn’t get cold.

You might be right. Vigil keep does look kind of cold. I guess I was asking for shenanigans sleeping right outside the Asura gate hub like that.