The flaw of Ascended Weapon Boxes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

First of all, I checked the first 3 pages, and didn’t find anything, if a topic about this is already up, please redirect me.

To the point: there is a huge flaw in the design of the Ascended Weapon boxes. I realize that Anet figured out from Fractals that having random weapons drop for you is undesirable and people didn’t like it.

Now they implemented a system where you can get an Ascended weapon box with fixed stats that make you pick your weapon. For example, you can get a Occam’s Weapon Box, which let’s you pick any Ascended weapon with Rabbid (or Carrion? I dunno, doesn’t matter) stats.

There lies a big flaw in this design though, which honestly is even bigger than having a random weapon drop of which you can pick the stats: if you get the wrong stats, the weapon is essentially more useless than any other weapon.

If I got a Cleric’s Ascended Box, I would literally never open it, because I have absolutely no use for a Cleric’s weapon. A blue lvl80 Berserker weapon is literally more useful to me than any Cleric’s Ascended weapon. The only reason I would use it is if they opened lvl50+ Fractals and I would need the AR, other than that, I wouldn’t even bother.

Which is why, to me at least, having random weapons of which you can pick the stats is a better design than a random stat of which you can use the weapon. Because, at least an undesirable weapon can still fill some function on some character, whereas an undesirable stat wouldn’t even be considered by me. An exotic of more desirable stats will ALWAYS be more useful than an ascended weapon with other stats.

I’m not asking for random weapons though, since that design also doesn’t work, but to me it would be better if they either implemented both systems, where you can get either of them, a random weapon with choosable stats, or a random stat with choosable weapons. Or have a token-like system where you can exchange some ascended token for a box of your choosing.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Honestly, I prefer the set stat boxes. At least then you can use the weapon. The ~5% (or whatever it is) damage increase is still noticeable even if you don’t get a weapon you want.

I got a cleric weapon the other day. Do I need those stats, not particularity, but I’d rather be able to use a weapon now, and have one less weapon to craft immediately.

You say you want a random weapon with pickable stats. I’d argue that it is worse. If I get a trident, I don’t care what the stats are, that weapon will be useless to me. If I get a warhorn/great sword/axe/hammer/mace/staff/scepter/focus those weapons will be useless to me (and most of them also useless to the alts I hardly play).

This is their token-like system. And I’d say it’s a great improvement from just a random drop. It’s the same thing as gearing your first character in exotics. If you didn’t have enough money/karma/mats to buy/craft it you got by on random drops until you could, how is this any different (other than the crafting process being much more expensive and time consuming :/ ).

I have a cleric longbow now, that just means that if I manage to not get another drop for 1+ month, but am able to keep up with the mats/can spend all the gold/ectos to get myself to 500 crafting I can craft my other weapon set with stats that I want. If ascended armor comes out by then, I can still choose to go for a weapon with better stats or I can focus on the armor instead.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

why the hell didnt they just let us choose both the weapon and the stats !

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The RNG method to get Ascended is probably like the laurel/ecto method to get Ascended Earrings/Accessories. It’s there to give lip service to the multiple-means-to-get wording, but is really meant to redirect you to ANet’s “preferred” method. I fully expect any Ascended drop the RNG gods might send my way to be Shaman’s or Cleric’s.

Edit: The random weapon, pick the stat method would have been friendlier to those who have multiple alts.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Slightly off topic, but where do you acquire ascended boxes?

| Lithia |

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Cause that would literally be to easy. There would be no point and after a short amount of time everyone would have the weapon and stats they wanted.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Any where you can get ascended material. So basically off of chests, champions, ect.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Any where you can get ascended material. So basically off of chests, champions, ect.

Oh okay thanks

| Lithia |

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Oh okay thanks

I got my cleric stat box off of a world boss big chest, most likely Teq (but it could have also been Maw) if that helps.

Bright.9160

Honestly, I prefer the set stat boxes. At least then you can use the weapon. The ~5% (or whatever it is) damage increase is still noticeable even if you don’t get a weapon you want.

I got a cleric weapon the other day. Do I need those stats, not particularity, but I’d rather be able to use a weapon now, and have one less weapon to craft immediately.

You say you want a random weapon with pickable stats. I’d argue that it is worse. If I get a trident, I don’t care what the stats are, that weapon will be useless to me. If I get a warhorn/great sword/axe/hammer/mace/staff/scepter/focus those weapons will be useless to me (and most of them also useless to the alts I hardly play).

This is their token-like system. And I’d say it’s a great improvement from just a random drop. It’s the same thing as gearing your first character in exotics. If you didn’t have enough money/karma/mats to buy/craft it you got by on random drops until you could, how is this any different (other than the crafting process being much more expensive and time consuming :/ ).

I have a cleric longbow now, that just means that if I manage to not get another drop for 1+ month, but am able to keep up with the mats/can spend all the gold/ectos to get myself to 500 crafting I can craft my other weapon set with stats that I want. If ascended armor comes out by then, I can still choose to go for a weapon with better stats or I can focus on the armor instead.

To you Cleric’s might be useful, but to me, I’d still rather take a rare or an exotic Berserker weapon over any of the other stats, meaning that to me, anything but a Berserker box is quite literally useless.

And I’m not the only person that has the same problem.

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Because that’s a feature unique to legendaries

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

This just comes down to Stat Snobbery…

Ppl mad b/c they don’t get Berzerkers 24/7 as drops. Even though speed clearing 5 Dungeons in 1 hour which = easy Shards to just craft their own stats instead…
….I’m Playing a very very very small Violin for them right now

Get It

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Not really. Legendary weapons let you swap stats on the fly. Allowing someone to select the weapon and the stat once when they manage to get that super rare drop isent asking to much as any crafter could do the exact same when they make it.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Cause that would literally be to easy. There would be no point and after a short amount of time everyone would have the weapon and stats they wanted.

And what is so wrong with that? That then frees up people to go after legendaries or other cosmetic items and also allows Anet to get back to focusing on that horizontal progression they liked to tout so much initially.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Not really. Legendary weapons let you swap stats on the fly. Allowing someone to select the weapon and the stat once when they manage to get that super rare drop isent asking to much as any crafter could do the exact same when they make it.

Ahh then I agree. I took it as if they wanted to choose whenever and as many times as they want.

We already know this mechanism is possible (we did it for rare items) but I’m sure there would be some other fixes they would have to do behind the scenes.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

SiNoS.2147

Ahh then I agree. I took it as if they wanted to choose whenever and as many times as they want.

We already know this mechanism is possible (we did it for rare items) but I’m sure there would be some other fixes they would have to do behind the scenes.

Maybe. Given they just did it basically for all mf gear leads me to beleave that they have that system in place already. That makes me think it might be fairly easy to do.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Anet, I suggest you remove the ascended weapon drop entirely and replace with a single blue item. That’s what people that complain about receiving ascended weapon drops deserve.

Bright.9160

Ppl mad b/c they don’t get Berzerkers 24/7 as drops. Even though speed clearing 5 Dungeons in 1 hour which = easy Shards to just craft their own stats instead…

Get It

The fact that I can craft Ascended weapons doesn’t change anything about the flaw in their design.

Although I’m not mad, just surprised anyone would think this is a good design.

Anet, I suggest you remove the ascended weapon drop entirely and replace with a single blue item. That’s what people that complain about receiving ascended weapon drops deserve.

You missed my point so hard I don’t even know why you bother posting.

I would literally rather get a blue drop than any of the utterly useless stats (meaning anything but Berserker, Assassin, Valkyrie and maybe Knight’s).

Getting a random weapon has a lot higher chance of being useful than a random stat. The fact that of the 17 available stats, only 2 are really desirable, and 2 are acceptable means that I have a 76%+ chance of getting a completely worthless stat that I wouldn’t even think about using, ever. And it’s not even sellable (and salvageable?)

Whereas at least every weapon outside of Torch would find a character I could use it on.

IndigoSundown.5419

Great idea! Then maybe all the rewards-or-leave crowd would leave, and the game would become a niche game for people who want to play just for fun. I’d be happy, but I doubt ANet would be.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Tbh I have to disagree, because its use is dependant on individual play style. I for example, am running a Dire-Condingineer, with Energized Armor and Blood Fusion traits aswell as superior runes of the undead. So I personally capitalise well own tanky stats. So the range of state I can use is significantly higher, simply because my damage increases with tankiness which alot of non-direct damage weapons have.

I do wish you could sell the boxes though so people could buy and pick a descent weapon for themselves.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

because if so at your first few drops you would be done with the ascended farming and i think they want you busy with those as long as possible so you can start over with armor.

and if you wonder why they keep you so busy, my guess is because they don’t want to rush any new content and this is why we got recycled content like southsun, jumping puzzles, super adventure box and farming randomly in the old same maps

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

DarcShriek.5829

Get It

The fact that I can craft Ascended weapons doesn’t change anything about the flaw in their design.

I would literally rather get a blue drop than any of the utterly useless stats (meaning anything but Berserker, Assassin, Valkyrie and maybe Knight’s).

Getting a random weapon has a lot higher chance of being useful than a random stat. The fact that of the 17 available stats, only 2 are really desirable, and 2 are acceptable means that I have a 76%+ chance of getting a completely worthless stat that I wouldn’t even think about using, ever. And it’s not even sellable (and salvageable?)

Whereas at least every weapon outside of Torch would find a character I could use it on.

I didn’t miss your point. You received as a drop one of the most powerful weapons in the game and as a thank you, you complained that it wasn’t good enough.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I haven’t gotten any of these boxes, feel lucky you even got one. :P

Posted by: NoodllZ.8376

NoodllZ.8376

It’s basically like any other drop, I don’t see why this is a problem. If you wanted a specific weapon with specific stats then craft it.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Get It

I didn’t miss your point. You received as a drop one of the most powerful weapons in the game and as a thank you, you complained that it wasn’t good enough.

Yes, a Magi Ascended weapon would be FANTASTIC, totally the best in the game. Oh wait, a Berserker Rare weapon would out-perform it. You can’t possibly attempt to justify the silly manner of acquisition involved with these crates just by going WAH BE GRATEFUL, especially when they’re account bound and thus become total dead weight if the stats are worthless to you. If they’re going to be that way, then they should be tradeable.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Ya know, just when I think I’ve seen the most entitled players can get…

A thread like this pops up and proves me wrong.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i want to choose
1. choice of weapon
2. choice of stats

2 items.
is it that hard to implement?

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Bright, do you really expect serious replies in this sub section?

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

Getting the ‘zerk or go home’ vibe here. If the content you play only has room for one build, perhaps you’ll manage to scrape by against those oh-so-dangerous mobs you want the 5% gain to min-max against. (If this isn’t the case forgive the condescending tone.)

If you WvW and have enough classes at your disposal to put any weapon to good use, I can’t imagine you can’t cobble together something that fills a useful role outside of a crit build.

If you refuse to play anything other than direct damage dps, I suppose other stat combos really are useless to you, but that’s not a failing of game design.

Consider an ascended drop outside your normal playstyle as encouragement to branch out a bit.

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]

DarcShriek.5829

Get It

Yes, a Magi Ascended weapon would be FANTASTIC, totally the best in the game. Oh wait, a Berserker Rare weapon would out-perform it. You can’t possibly attempt to justify the silly manner of acquisition involved with these crates just by going WAH BE GRATEFUL, especially when they’re account bound and thus become total dead weight if the stats are worthless to you. If they’re going to be that way, then they should be tradeable.

I can see how a substandard player would have problems adapting to weapons other than those prescribed by the internet meta builds. Is that the problem you face?

SiNoS.2147

Getting the ‘zerk or go home’ vibe here. If the content you play only has room for one build, perhaps you’ll manage to scrape by against those oh-so-dangerous mobs you want the 5% gain to min-max against. (If this isn’t the case forgive the condescending tone.)

If you WvW and have enough classes at your disposal to put any weapon to good use, I can’t imagine you can’t cobble together something that fills a useful role outside of a crit build.

If you refuse to play anything other than direct damage dps, I suppose other stat combos really are useless to you, but that’s not a failing of game design.

Consider an ascended drop outside your normal playstyle as encouragement to branch out a bit.

Thing is there are stat combo’s that just dont work. Im not with the zerk or get out crowd. Personally i use a few different combo’s. But that being said i’ve spent close to 1100 hours of game play refining my play style. By this point i know what works with my build and what does not. As many have pointed out ill take an exotic with proper stats over an ascended that has useless stats any day. The exotic will out perform the ascended. Honestly a rare likely would.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

@arKRazor
People like to pick on the zerk or go home ideology but there are many people who are diehards about other stats. Also it is a failing in the game design if only one stat is viable. Why the kitten would you change to a worse stat just because you got an ascended weapon.

@Wallace
Just because there is a 5% increase doesn’t mean it will do more damage if its not the right stat. For zerk having power prec and crit makes the build strong not just the damage of the weapon.

@Everyone
Getting an ascended weapon as a drop is very rare. It’s on par to getting a prec, maybe a little less rare than that but still pretty special. Saying that they should be treated like every other drop is small minded. I bet once you get an ascended drop and realize that you can’t sell it and you can’t get the stats you want you will say " I remember that one smart, bright, intelligent forum poster who was talking about this bullkitten, hmmm why the kitten didn’t I support him. kitten me"

I dont think many of you understood what bright was saying. This was a good topic that was ruined because of people defending……idk….for reasons.

General sub forum…. Where good threads go to die.
R.I.P

(edited by champ.7021)

Bright.9160

Because it isn’t good enough (also, I didn’t get one, it’s about the design). I would literally prefer a white or a blue drop of any stat to an Ascended drop that is one of the 13 useless ones (or maybe I’d take Soldier’s as well, in case I even want to go WvW). Because at least a blue or a white drop can be salvaged and made into something useful.

If they make the stat random, it should be sellable, simple as that, because if I get a stat I don’t want (and I already provided good numbers to point out I most likely will), I should be able to sell it, because I wouldn’t even bother opening the box.

Bright, do you really expect serious replies in this sub section?

I figured there’s a bigger chance Anet reads this than the dungeon sub. That I would face a sea of morons, I knew beforehand.

Any other build outside DPS is useless to me, because in PvE, anything but DPS is useless. Try denying it all you want, it doesn’t make it any less true.

I don’t want to be ‘persuaded’ to try builds that I know are sub optimal, when I already know what the best builds for content are.

Not to mention, any build that uses Cleric’s, Magi’s, or any of the likes as a main stat is about as useful as a self-inflicted crippled guy in a relay race. All you do is bring your team down because you wanted to be ‘special’.

I can see how a substandard player would have problems adapting to weapons other than those prescribed by the internet meta builds. Is that the problem you face?

I can see how a substandard player would have problems acknowledging that anything but DPS is useless in PvE.

It’s also funny, because I’m usually one of the people who runs those ‘meta builds’ WAY before the PUGs even run them, and helps people test those builds as well. It’s funny to be at the forefront of the META and hearing people complain I can only run ‘pre-chewed’ builds when I’m usually one of the people that pre-chews them before throwing them at the public.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

It is a random drop. You didn’t do anything to really earn it. Killed random creature, get random reward. If you want a specific reward then craft the one you want.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Are you one of those “healing my party paladins”? If so, I can see how a really bad player cannot comprehend that +188 healing power is not exactly wanted unlike +188 power.

But hey, you got an ultimate weapon of destruction. With healing power.

haviz.1340

It is a random drop. You didn’t do anything to really earn it. Killed random creature, get random reward. If you want a specific reward then craft the one you want.

Crafting panel, an ultimate answer to gear acquisition. Why not tokens from dungeons or fractals? Crafting is much harder I guess.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Because the chase would be over with one drop. The entire tier is about slowing down progression.

This is more flexible than the exotics, which give you no choices when you get one (other than to equip it or sell it). Being able to sell them is a big part of why Exotic acquisition was way too fast compared to their intended time/progression arc.

You should also keep in mind they want you buying character slots and making alts. The birthday gift insta-level-20 scrolls a AND these new boxes work hand in hand. Got an ascended stats-box you can’t use? Make an alt who can.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

haviz.1340

Because the chase would be over with one drop. The entire tier is about slowing down progression.

This is more flexible than the exotics, which give you no choices when you get one (other than to equip it or sell it). Being able to sell them is a big part of why Exotic acquisition was way too fast compared to their intended time/progression arc.

You should also keep in mind they want you buying character slots and making alts. The birthday gift insta-level-20 scrolls a AND these new boxes work hand in hand. Got an ascended stats-box you can’t use? Make an alt who can.

Making alts with this amount of time gating? I deleted alts after patch hit for their exotics for salvage.

And which alt would you use if you got magi stats since almost every decent build in pve is zerker?

Chase wouldn’t be over after 1 kittening drop. You use 1 weapon?

Posted by: Sutcliffe.5491

Sutcliffe.5491

Just delete the box and pretend u never got it since its bothering u that much.
Or u could open the box and transmutate the skin to any weapon that u like and use it.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The only thing useless is a closed mind. After a year of playing, I still don’t get the mentality of Zerker or nothing.

Ascended was created to give us something to spend our time on. Thus, the boxes are working perfectly because you’ll have to keep going to get the stats you want. Heck, if I was dev, I would put the drop rate of Zerker to 10% or less. This would be to take up players time longer and to encourage them to try other builds.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

This is just a consequence of the fail stat system in the game. The sheer fact that 50% of the prefixes in the game are plain useless is mind boggling, but it is so.

IndigoSundown.5419

Crafting panel, an ultimate answer to gear acquisition. Why not tokens from dungeons or fractals? Crafting is much harder I guess.

Crafting is something over which ANet has more control.

SiNoS.2147

The only thing useless is a closed mind. After a year of playing, I still don’t get the mentality of Zerker or nothing.

Ascended was created to give us something to spend our time on. Thus, the boxes are working perfectly because you’ll have to keep going to get the stats you want. Heck, if I was dev, I would put the drop rate of Zerker to 10% or less. This would be to take up players time longer and to encourage them to try other builds.

Thing is a lot of us have tried other builds. A lot of us have had over a year to try new builds. That being said in that time you learn what works for you and what does not. Im not going to magically just change my build because i got some uber weapon that has useless stats. Honestly im just going to throw it away. Atleast with exotic’s i can turn it into gold to buy an item that is actually useful. With ascended drops thats not the case. If they can be muted i guess thats something i can do with them. If not its simply to the trash for atleast half of the ascended weapons out there for me personally.

haviz.1340

Maybe because there are 2-3 prefixes that don’t have useless stats like healing power or toughness. Have you ever played fotm 80? Mobs, normal mobs, not bosses, can deal 25k+ with their autoattacks. Having less damage and still dying with 1-2 hits is acceptable to you?

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Can you salvage them? If I could get a few ectos out of it at least that’s something :/.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Sutcliffe.5491

Maybe because there are 2-3 prefixes that don’t have useless stats like healing power or toughness. Have you ever played fotm 80? Mobs, normal mobs, not bosses, can deal 25k+ with their autoattacks. Having less damage and still dying with 1-2 hits is acceptable to you?

Maybe it’s not useful in fotm 80 or in general pve content, but saying its useless is just not true. I have seen builds using toughness and healing power in wvw to great effect. If u dun play wvw and as such the stats are useless for you. Then it’s not anet fault but its due to u ignoring a part of the game that such gear can be useful.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I really hate elitist people like you. Let people play how they want!

haviz.1340

Maybe it’s not useful in fotm 80 or in general pve content, but saying its useless is just not true. I have seen builds using toughness and healing power in wvw to great effect. If u dun play wvw and as such the stats are useless for you. Then it’s not anet fault but its due to u ignoring a part of the game that such gear can be useful.

Do you think wvw-ers are happy with new gear? Did they need gear progression?

Forgive me if I don’t find zerging as something fun.

(edited by haviz.1340)

Sutcliffe.5491

Do you think wvw-ers are happy with new gear? Did they need gear progression?

Forgive me if I don’t find zerging as something fun.

Thinking that WvW is only about zerging just shows your ignorance about WvW.
And whether anot WvW-ers are happy with the new gear is another issue.
All i know is that the stats u mentioned are not useless like what u say and Anet were to remove these ‘useless’ stats from ascended weapon, more people will complain that there is nothing for them.

haviz.1340

Thinking that WvW is only about zerging just shows your ignorance about WvW.
And whether anot WvW-ers are happy with the new gear is another issue.
All i know is that the stats u mentioned are not useless like what u say and Anet were to remove these ‘useless’ stats from ascended weapon, more people will complain that there is nothing for them.

Most people zerg, disagreed? Someone asks for a build for wvw, typical asnwers:

1. “You need lot of toughness to survive t1 zergs”
  2. “Zerkers are free rally in zergs”
  3. You should see the point

Wvw is 24/7 zerg for most of the people and anet promotes that gameplay with every new patch. Seems like you don’t play how they intended you to. Similiar to how exotics were not intended to acquire that fast.

The only people that could possibly be “smart” enough to ask for gear progression are playing mostly in pve. It’s been made for them.