"The future of Guild Wars"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I just found a gem of an old thread the other day. Titled “Any predictions about GW’s future.” It’s pretty fun to just read through and chuckle at the how remarkably similar some of the negativity in this thread are to what we see all the time in the GW2 forums.

http://web.archive.org/liveweb/http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/any-predictions-about-gws-futurei-t54392.html

Just some quotes I personally enjoyed:

I don’t think there will be a GW2 for many years…more likely to see 5 or 6 chapters for GW first (3 years) then you are looking at probably 2-3 years developing GW2.

Anet cant do just plain old GW correctly, they dont have a hope in hell of keeping a fanbase and I predict GW is dead/dying badly by 2006.

They need a change in leadership at ANET. Because it comes across as if they are really indecisive and misinformed about a lot of their decisions in the past.

While I do love this game, guildwars does not have the longevity to go on. Anet erred in too many ways. For example, we already have access to the best equipment, weapons, and level. What else is there to strive for in future updates and expansions? The only thing I think we can really hope for in the future are different weapons, skills, armors, classes, and perhaps an kitten of new content such as missions and quests. I highly doubt that this will entertain players for very long however.

After the first expansion I think they’ll lose a lot of PVEers as they realize there’s nothing that can be done about the weak depth of PVE and they’ve had their fill. PVPers will be long gone by then or a small amount will stick around to rule the game. The main thing that will consistantly keep people interested for long periods, say 6 months after they get it, is promises by Anet. It strings people along. Eventually it blows up of course, and they lose that customer. So overtime they are setting up a playerbase that disappears…

You want my prediction for the entire lifetime of the game and company? Guild Wars will crash and burn for screwing over the PvP playerbase while providing nothing related to content for the PvE player base. Because of this huge downfall, and it being their first game, A.Net will have extreme trouble trying to sell and produce any other games, and will eventually go out of business or be renamed and become just another pawn of NC Soft (if that hasn’t happened already).

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

Bingo. The hate at the beginning of GW1 was WAYYYYYY worse.

Conclusion : Haters gonna hate.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Oh, how I hated Factions when it was released. Now I count it as my favorite of the original campaigns.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Hate on the internet? NAAHHHHH.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

So you mean to tell me all the “hate” and negativity GW2 is having right now is nothing compared to the original? :o That’s shocking.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Wish I could sticky this. I’m one of the complainers here, but I try to be constructive. It’s because I know that this team has a good foundation that I’ll continue to stick with them.

Quote for the new Man of Steel movie trailer sums it up:

“They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun.”

ANet isn’t infallible and they need to make money, but they have the player’s interest in mind. Going forward, they just need to keep mistakes to a minimum

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Oh, how I hated Factions when it was released. Now I count it as my favorite of the original campaigns.

I still loathe it. Loved Nightfall and loved Prophecies. Eye of the North was hit and miss but overall I liked it.

Anyway, I’m still waiting for them to release the Guild Wars 2 they’ve been hyping. You know, GW1 with updated graphics and advancing the story.

:p

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Heh, if you guys think the WoW crowd is bad now, you should have seen it back then. These days folks are mildly ashamed to call themselves a WoW fanboy and compare every MMO to it, but back then WoW was considered the most awesome thing ever, so they were proud to do so. =D Something unique and special like GW1 was shunned in favor of more EQ/WoW style games.

It wasn’t until years later that they realized “Oh, hey, this is getting old. Sure wish a unique game would come around so I can pla-…. oh wait a sec”

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

As this thread is not providing meaningful feedback to the currrent issues & concerns, nor inviting to constructive & healthy discussion, it is now closed.