The game run out of content when you are 80?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tomer.4098

Tomer.4098

All I see is that when you are 80 you have the PvP which is cool, but its kinda lame if you compare it to other games (to clerifty, the PVP here is the best ive seen in any mmo in my life, but I mean, in other mmos when someones reaches lvl 80 he gets more kinds of game content that is not available to everyone else)

sidenote – guild wars 2 forum managers please let us write titles longer than 45 letters, i have to give up on words and the title looks weird

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

New content types don’t unlock when you hit 80. But you have dungeons, fractals, guild missions, achievements, collections. Even PvP and WvW can be started when you’re not 80.

This game is about choosing your own end game, instead of being thrown into a premade end game with a single path to advancement.

For example, if you want ascended gear, the only reliable way to get it is to craft. Some people try for a legendary. Some people try to unlock rare skins. Some people try to find and do every jumping puzzles.

Then there’s the Living Story which will continue when the expansion comes out.

There’s lots of stuff to do…but there’s nothing you have to do.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Even pvp is boring at this point….

There is such a lack of content I find myself logging in and wanting to play so bad, but really having nothing to do…. and even the things worth doing have already been done thousands of times over…. (like repeating dungeon paths.)

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

try completing the achievements. that’s your endgame content.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

That’s quite true and many people interpret that as a lack of content. When in fact Anet basically lets you pick your own goals and reach them at your own pace.

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

sPvP can be done from the moment you make a new character and leave the starting instance.

In the GW series levels are simply a gating to content. Living story being missing has cramped much of that content right now. Still lots of things to do on the journey to 80 then afterwards after setting a few goals. Then the option to try another class out etc.

Regarding WvW, sure you can go in at any level. Unless you pay a small fortune on low level exotics enemies will generally have a significant advantage. Best to stick with a lvl 80 unless mindlessly grinding EotM for levels.

Also keep in mind: if GW2 is boring simply take a break. There’s no sub fee and you won’t get behind in gear. The game is very casual friendly and will wait for you to return for some more adventures. Also getting friends involved/joining an active guild helps significantly.

Regarding the sidenote. Their forum software is limiting titles to 45, which can be short for sure, and they could increase it however it’s better than needlessly over-long titles. Being short and to the point as the details go in the post is the best way to handle it imo.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

That’s quite true and many people interpret that as a lack of content. When in fact Anet basically lets you pick your own goals and reach them at your own pace.

That’s my line of thinking precisely.

A lot of people seem to be needlessly throwing around the “lack of content” phrase without truly understanding what it means.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Vayne.8563

A lot of people seem to be needlessly throwing around the “lack of content” phrase without truly understanding what it means.

To be fair, if you’ve been playing since launch, at this point, there’s not much left to do…which is normal for lots of games at various points in their development, particularly shortly before an expansion launches.

But when you first hit 80…plenty left to do…just not end game content as defined by other games.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

To me, this game only really begins at level 80. You can then get a full complement of traits and top tier gear. It’s why so many people rush through the levelling process – there’s relatively little to do at lower levels besides exploring, story and PvP.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Well, for a new player who’s only been playing for several months, there’s still plenty to do, but for someone who’s been playing since launch, there is lack of new content.

Posted by: Jehuty.1938

Jehuty.1938

That always makes me laugh. Yeah achievments are content. It’s like creating one dungeon path you can complete in 10 minutes and implementing 500 achievments, like killing rats 10000x times, use your dagger 30000x times, avoid this attack. Ok cool, that’s some EXCITING content you got there.

World bosses? You do them several times and that’s it, nothing interesting apart from the chest at the end (that’s why ALL players do them in the first place).

Craft ascended/legendary? you have to grind for this and guess what? do the same thing over and over and over and over and over again. (dungeons, wb, silverwastes). That’s NOT content.

Fractals? Yeah sure you have levels but you’re basicly doing the same fractal paths. They don’t change at all, only the difficulty does, wich is NOT content variety.

It is crazy that when I think about what I was doing 1.5 years ago, it is exactly what I do today, except for the living story.

So yeah, my suggestion would be to take a break if you don’t have anything to do (wich I TOTALLY understand) until Anet are done with exciting HoT.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

All I see is that when you are 80 you have the PvP which is cool, but its kinda lame if you compare it to other games (to clerifty, the PVP here is the best ive seen in any mmo in my life, but I mean, in other mmos when someones reaches lvl 80 he gets more kinds of game content that is not available to everyone else)

sidenote – guild wars 2 forum managers please let us write titles longer than 45 letters, i have to give up on words and the title looks weird

Those opther game locks you out of content. You got starterzones, but when you visit them, all foes are one shotted, don’t give loot and no experience. GW2 has a a scaling system so you still have (compared to other games) challenging fights in starterzones and still gain XP. The loot is for your real level.

So in essence, at level 80 you unlocked the entire game. Including dungeons, worldbosses, fractals, jumping puzzles, etc.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

To be fair, if you’ve been playing since launch, at this point, there’s not much left to do…which is normal for lots of games at various points in their development, particularly shortly before an expansion launches.

But when you first hit 80…plenty left to do…just not end game content as defined by other games.

Hehe, yea you have a good amount of play time, I would be supriced if you still had content to do now :P

I myself have also been playing since headstart and atm I have done most content I enjoy and now I am repeating the same content with new characters… But honestly PvP has been what I play 90% of my online time now the latest month.

With no new updates I have been playing less and less but for new players there are realy alot of stuff to do. As many has said allready :P

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

That always makes me laugh. Yeah achievments are content. It’s like creating one dungeon path you can complete in 10 minutes and implementing 500 achievments, like killing rats 10000x times, use your dagger 30000x times, avoid this attack. Ok cool, that’s some EXCITING content you got there.

That always makes me laugh. It’s what we’ve been doing since super mario or even before. You could speed through levels, you could collect all coins or whatevers. That’s exactly how things work.

Any content will only be new EXACTLY one time. I understand you want new toys every day because that’s how we “work” lately. Our attention span is shorter than that of a kittener spaniel’s. But it would be nice to accept that and set our demands that way.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

yes, you can repeat content infinitely and to no avail as there is no progression at all.

EdgarMTanaka.7291

yes, you can repeat content infinitely and to no avail as there is no progression at all.

This has been said many times I guess… But I will try to post another list of stuff to do that isn’t about Achiements but stuff that is so called content.

- Personal Story.
- Living Story.
- Dungeons (26 paths total).
- Fractals (50 difficulty levels and15 Differenet Areas).
- Dynamic Events.
- Meta Events and World Bosses.
- Jumping Puzzles.
- Mini Dungeons.
- Guild Missions.
- Diving Spots.
- Festival Events.
- Crafting (Yes this is content).
- Exploring (yes this is content).
- WvW and Edge of the Mists.
- sPvP.

That is in my opinion a good list of things to do in a 3yo game compaired to the former MMO I played where this was/is the content after max level after 7-8 years.

- “Dungeons”(10 raids, 35 3-6-man)(Instances).
- Scirmish (19 of them)(Challange mode thingy).
- Crafting.
- Exploring.
- Main Story.
- Festival Events.
- Quests.
- Mounted Combat.
- Housing.
- PvP.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Sure, I guess.

However, as someone who still plays Guild Wars 1, which hasn’t had any new content for quite some time, and has played that game since open beta, I’m finding it difficult to identify with the OP. I always find something to do. Maybe I’m an anomaly. ~shrug~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Sure, I guess.

However, as someone who still plays Guild Wars 1, which hasn’t had any new content for quite some time, and has played that game since open beta, I’m finding it difficult to identify with the OP. I always find something to do. Maybe I’m an anomaly. ~shrug~

Nah, you aren’t an anomaly. I don’t do dungeons, fractals, WvW, or PvP and I still get a few hours play time in whenever I log in.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

This has been said many times I guess… But I will try to post another list of stuff to do that isn’t about Achiements but stuff that is so called content.

- Personal Story.
- Living Story.
- Dungeons (26 paths total).
- Fractals (50 difficulty levels and15 Differenet Areas).
- Dynamic Events.
- Meta Events and World Bosses.
- Jumping Puzzles.
- Mini Dungeons.
- Guild Missions.
- Diving Spots.
- Festival Events.
- Crafting (Yes this is content).
- Exploring (yes this is content).
- WvW and Edge of the Mists.
- sPvP.

That is in my opinion a good list of things to do in a 3yo game compaired to the former MMO I played where this was/is the content after max level after 7-8 years.

- Crafting.
- Exploring.
- Main Story.
- Festival Events.
- Quests.
- Mounted Combat.
- Housing.
- PvP.

Impressive, a shame everything of your PvE list can be done in half a year max – easily. Some of it is recycled content (diving spots, gimme a break, some achievement point on an existing map is additional content, yeah…). Exploration is not new content the second time around.

Of cause GW2 is not far behind competitors, or at least it has been, additions in recent years have been rather small. Still, in other games, repeating things serves a purpose. Here, it becomes all about acquiring gold to convert to cosmetic shop items really, really early in your career. The only “recent” addition that gave people a reason to actually accomplish things in PvE was the Mawdrey thing (which I found rather enjoyable, but I guess with the “but I wanna have too, mommy”-audience that dominates GW2, such long term endeavours and signifcant rewards for personal investment are not working well).

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Impressive, a shame everything of your PvE list can be done in half a year max – easily. Some of it is recycled content (diving spots, gimme a break, some achievement point on an existing map is additional content, yeah…). Exploration is not new content the second time around.

Of cause GW2 is not far behind competitors, or at least it has been, additions in recent years have been rather small. Still, in other games, repeating things serves a purpose. Here, it becomes all about acquiring gold to convert to cosmetic shop items really, really early in your career. The only “recent” addition that gave people a reason to actually accomplish things in PvE was the Mawdrey thing (which I found rather enjoyable, but I guess with the “but I wanna have too, mommy”-audience that dominates GW2, such long term endeavours and signifcant rewards for personal investment are not working well).

Wow, thats pretty narrow minded is it not?

Let’s see… How long time it takes varies by player but let’s say it takes me ½-year to compleate all the content in GW2. How long does it take to compleate all the content of the other game I said. I would guess it would take me about 3-4 weeks and then because the game is made of an Expansion model I will not have a good portion of content until a year after that. But ofcourse not only that but that game have had some updates in between and some months have gived good updates where atleast you have had a week or two worth of content. But for every new expansion this game looses most the points of doing the content of the old expansion.

Again lets compare GW2 with the other game, in GW2 you say you repeat the content only to earn money to buy Cosmetics? Only mawdrey is something to aim for?
In this other game you have to repeat a single instance over and over again and hope that you will get one item so that you can iether sell it or have it yourself to craft an item that will be useless once a new expansion hits. What is the difference from what you just told me? I don’t see it.
In GW2 you can get a good item and/or get gold to buy an item of your choise and this item skin will be stored in your account for the rest of this games existence.
In the other game you can get an item that you can iether sell to get gold or you can craft the best gear from it. This gear will be worthless as soon as a new expansion hits and you will only be able to sell it for vendor prize as it is bound to you.

Every MMO has repeatable content, thats like the life and bread of an MMO and in my Opinion, GW2 has the best kind of repeatable content becouse I don’t have to do the boring stuff to get it (Except for Fractal and Dungeon skins).

About diving spots as part of content of the game, just becouse it gives achievement points doesnt mean it is not content as some or atleast the latest added Diving spots are hard to find and hard to perform and is not just a simple thing to find to get an achiement. Some players just as with Jumping Puzzles find doing the latest diving spots being a competition.

But ofcourse we can take this of the list if you wish, it doesn’t make the list less fantastic.

For me that has been playing since headstart, I have been playing almost everyday since then with a few breaks now and then. I must agree that since the announcement of the Expansion I have played less and less, I need new content soon or I must take a break. But this game compaired to other games in my opinion is far better with content and stuff to do over again for a reason and becouse it is fun.

Vayne.8563

Well there is progression. It’s called skill progression. Unless you can beat every single person 1 v 1 in PvP, I’d say there’s progression.

Some people only think they progress when their numbers get bigger. I think that’s a flaw in most MMOs. In this game, technique often trumps numbers.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

When you are level 80 there is more content than at any level below it because every single thing in the game in every zone is now accessible to you. That is only true at level 80.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Once you’ve been playing for a while, you will end up repeating the content you find most enjoyable.

For instance, I buy more character slots and level other characters (so I can try out new builds, a different aesthetic and a different “feel” for each character).

A lot of others will do fractals and dungeons daily because they like the challenge and high rewards.

Many people focus on PvP or WvW because they find the strategy and fights exhilarating.

But what I seem to find is the underlying reason why most stay with GW2 (even after “doing everything”) is because of the community. Once you’ve found a great guild or group of friends to play alongside, you are attached to the game in order to interact and have fun with them. Even if you’re doing repetitive, boring and tedious things, good company will always change the atmosphere. Moreover, other people might point you in the direction of content that you left untouched or didn’t like and change your mind about it.

So yeah. If you want to stay in GW2, find yourself some like-minded buddies to fool around with

Posted by: Slackoth.2108

Slackoth.2108

No. Other games (MMOS) will make you farm for gear for months on end when you reach max level. They will make you suffer through painful pvp where you’ll be undergeared for like 6 months.

This game has ELEVIATED these issues, there are still things to do though.

You can farm for Ascended gear if you want to.

Commanding WvW.

PVP

PvE (though it is a bit “weaker” than some other Mmo’s)

Personally i think it’s a good thing that Exotic is almost as good as Ascended, it makes wvw pvp/roaming fair and skill based, not gear based.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Impressive, a shame everything of your PvE list can be done in half a year max – easily.

And this is different from any other game on the planet….how exactly?

I can assure you that you can pick any MMO in the history of MMOs and state the exact same thing.

If you can name one MMO that you couldn’t do all of the end-game content within 6months if you wanted to, I’ll give you at least ten cookies…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

It means exactly what it means.

Content is things to do. No stuff to get.

For example: the wvw achievements aren’t content. You get them by repeating what you have been doing from level 1 ad nauseam.

Legendaries aren’t content: you get them by farming mats and gold. You farm the mats and gold by doing exactly the same stuff you were doing before you reached lvl 80.

The living story is new content indeed. And even some of the achievements of the ls can be considered more new content, as they force you to change your approach to certain encounters.

Fractals can be considered new content with every level,even though it gets tedious to go from lvl 1 to thirty something where the fun starts.

This game has some end game content,and tries to incorporate the map into that endgame, which i love (i hate the empty maps of other mmos), but it could do with a lot of improvement.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

- Crafting.
- Exploring.
- Main Story.
- Festival Events.
- Quests.
- Mounted Combat.
- Housing.
- PvP.

Found the LOTRO player

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think I was 80 before I realized Fireheart Rise existed. I only found it because I was going for world completion and I couldn’t figure out where this hunk of vistas/wps/pois must be. So boom! A whole zone to explore! That was content.

I still have fun doing SW rounds now and then. That’s content.

If you want constantly new content once you’re 80, well, devs can’t keep up with players. But hitting 80 doesn’t mean you’ve done everything possible in the game, it can’t, not when 80 is so easy to get to.

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

New content types don’t unlock when you hit 80. But you have dungeons, fractals, guild missions, achievements, collections. Even PvP and WvW can be started when you’re not 80.

This game is about choosing your own end game, instead of being thrown into a premade end game with a single path to advancement.

For example, if you want ascended gear, the only reliable way to get it is to craft. Some people try for a legendary. Some people try to unlock rare skins. Some people try to find and do every jumping puzzles.

This is very true. I’ve been playing since launch and still have so many things I’ve never done in the game, mostly because I can never make up my mind and wind up deleting characters and starting over. I’m sure there are many who have done most of the content currently available.

However, most the people that complain about lack of content, when you ask them “Well hey have you done this yet?”, they respond along the lines of “No cause I don’t want to.” So the problem isn’t that there is a lack of content, it’s that players go in and rush through the content they like as fast as they can, and then neglect the rest of the content them come to the forums to complain.

This whole argument of other games giving you all this great content, that’s just the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. I specifically remember WoW’s “content” being a new dungeon or raid that came out with a patch, that involved me grinding the same content over and over for months to get the gear needed just to be viable in that patch, and then everything I’d done being rendered useless when the next patch hits and starting over again. As far as repeating content, that is standard in EVERY MMO EVER! As far as being required to grind gear every patch just to keep up, that is a false sense of content and I’m glad that has no place in this game.

Finally, if you are one of those people claiming to have done literally EVERYTHING there is to do in this game and have nothing left, then yeah, dear god, you should definitely take a break and go get some air or something.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

This pretty much sums it up for me. What Vayne has described here is exactly the reason that I migrated to GW2 after seven years with brand X. I don’t feel rushed to get anything done. I play what I want to play when I want to play it. And there are boatloads of things that I want to do that I just haven’t gotten around to yet.

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

Arguably you can get ascended gear without crafting by doing stuff in fractals.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

When in fact Anet basically lets you pick your own goals and reach them at your own pace.

Not necessarily.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Honestly gw2 end game is pretty average. Maybe a bit above because of PvP and WvW (actually certainly above average because of it). For PvE About the same amount of content as most MMOs.

More content for one without any expansions but less than most 3 year old MMOs (w/ expansions already as most get one at 1.5-2 years) if that makes sense. Hoping it catches up when HoT releases.

Edit – to be clear I’d still put gw2 as one of the best MMOs out there (depending on taste ofc) games like EQN may pass it up but they aren’t out for awhile yet.

(edited by Mightybird.6034)

Shaogin.2679

If anything, I feel as though PvP and WvW are lacking. Love the combat system and over-all balance, but hate that there really aren’t any unique rewards to work for in these game modes other than personal skill. But I suppose a discussion along these lines belongs in the PvP/WvW subforums.

Gate of Madness

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

If anything, I feel as though PvP and WvW are lacking. Love the combat system and over-all balance, but hate that there really aren’t any unique rewards to work for in these game modes other than personal skill. But I suppose a discussion along these lines belongs in the PvP/WvW subforums.

Don’t they both have weapon skins or armor for winning the championship? But for the average player, ya I don’t think there’s anything unique other than the titles. edit- balths backpiece unique to pvp? that’s fairly cool

Shaogin.2679

Don’t they both have weapon skins or armor for winning the championship? But for the average player, ya I don’t think there’s anything unique other than the titles. edit- balths backpiece unique to pvp? that’s fairly cool

Yeah, only problem is WvW tournaments are too far apart, and PvP tournaments are difficult for some people that have jobs and duties outside of the game. More frequent WvW tournaments with new rewards instead of the same old skins (I personally think they’re lame skins) and a decent PvP ladderboard with unique rewards would make a huge difference.

Gate of Madness

EdgarMTanaka.7291

- Crafting.
- Exploring.
- Main Story.
- Festival Events.
- Quests.
- Mounted Combat.
- Housing.
- PvP.

Found the LOTRO player

Shhhh!!!

Honestly gw2 end game is pretty average. Maybe a bit above because of PvP and WvW (actually certainly above average because of it). For PvE About the same amount of content as most MMOs.

More content for one without any expansions but less than most 3 year old MMOs (w/ expansions already as most get one at 1.5-2 years) if that makes sense. Hoping it catches up when HoT releases.

Edit – to be clear I’d still put gw2 as one of the best MMOs out there (depending on taste ofc) games like EQN may pass it up but they aren’t out for awhile yet.

But as I said in earlier posts, most expansion makes old content absolete in other MMO’s. For a Veteran player those game might feel big and have alot of content but for a newly introduced player to that game would feel that there is alot of places but the player will outlevel outgear the old content and have no point in doing expansion 1 and 2 but skip and go directly to expansion 3. I havent played WoW so don’t take my word for it but what I have heard is that they have made it alot easier to level up the low levels so you will quicker be able to get to the new content.

Most content that is stays interesting are like new classes and reces but maps and dungeons mostly gets obsolete.

But in GW2 we will always have max level 80 and every part of the game is still rewarding no matter what level you are. Well I guess if you have compleated all Achievements on the Living Story I guess it’s not that rewarding to replay but everything else. You can still go back to queensdale and kill the behemoth and get good rewards even though you are level 80 and have bought the expansion pack in the future.

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

Sorry, I’m a bit outdated, ¿what are the other things that should had got the end game that would make it a good one?

I heard people saying that the GW2 endgame sicks because there are not raids, so, immagining that they successfully apply raids, (instances of 25 / 40 players.), will that really extend the life eternally? As I see it, it’s the same like current dungeons, when people play them several times, knows them and have already taken all the rewards than the instance can offer, they will have ended and return to the same situation that they are now.

Above getting gear of higher levels, to once you’ve got it, need to find a new gear with higher level than before… that could be a way to keep the people hanging and busy, a kind of “endgame”… but I prefer the current GW2 system, one top, and then can go obtaining more gear for collection purposes when I want, not forced to don’t be behind.

So, is there really any especial thing that GW2 endgame were still lacking? and that thing, ¿is really a solution?.

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

Sorry, I’m a bit outdated, ¿what are the other things that should had got the end game that would make it a good one?

I heard people saying that the GW2 endgame sicks because there are not raids, so, immagining that they successfully apply raids, (instances of 25 / 40 players.), will that really extend the life eternally? As I see it, it’s the same like current dungeons, when people play them several times, knows them and have already taken all the rewards than the instance can offer, they will have ended and return to the same situation that they are now.

Above getting gear of higher levels, to once you’ve got it, need to find a new gear with higher level than before… that could be a way to keep the people hanging and busy, a kind of “endgame”… but I prefer the current GW2 system, one top, and then can go obtaining more gear for collection purposes when I want, not forced to don’t be behind.

So, is there really any especial thing that GW2 endgame were still lacking? and that thing, ¿is really a solution?.

more dungeons seemed to me like the easy way to go, with random elements to keep it fresh. Whats wrong with having a few parts of the dungeon swap around with some rooms being like a 1% chance of appearance during the run, etc. or when you normall go north through a tunnel this time it collapsed and you ave to find another way?

but they are not making anymore dungeons…schoolboy error if you ask me.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

more dungeons seemed to me like the easy way to go, with random elements to keep it fresh. Whats wrong with having a few parts of the dungeon swap around with some rooms being like a 1% chance of appearance during the run, etc. or when you normall go north through a tunnel this time it collapsed and you ave to find another way?

but they are not making anymore dungeons…schoolboy error if you ask me.

That’s what fractals are, and people are complaining left, right and center that they are too random to run, with “good” (read: short and easy) and “bad” (read: long and possibly complex) fractals thrown in the mix and no chance to select the ones you want to run.

Random content may sound good on paper, but in reality it’s next to impossible to balance the randomness to get a set of truly equal alternatives, and most (if not all) players will eventually get annoyed when the randomness gives them a variant “again” that takes them out of their comfort zone rather than the one they prefer.

Personally, I’ve been playing this game since shortly after launch, and I’ve yet to run out of content. Compared to the MMO I played before I enjoy the fact that I can choose what I want to play rather than having to repeat the same content until long after it’s stopped being enjoyable just to get that piece of gear I have to have to stay competitive (I’ve been playing healer and sometimes tank in high-end raiding), then raid two nights a week only to go a whole raid period (about a year) without getting the one top-end drop the raids gave because it was too rare to outfit the whole raid with it.

I’m glad this game doesn’t do “get this random drop only as a rare chance from boss xyz” for (almost) all of its content, because that’s what eventually frustrated me most in previous games. I’m an adult, I can very well choose what content I enjoy. I don’t need to be channeled into instance x and daily repeatable quest y just to keep my equipment level at a point where I won’t be a detriment to my raid.

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I know I’m a broken record about it and maybe most people are perfectly happy for GW2 to be just like every other lame-kitten themepark. But so what. I won’t stop advocating for player-driven sandbox features. I would like to think this franchise and company is too good to fall into the same old traps as the others.

This mantra about “Anet gives us the freedom to do whatever we want” is very misleading and quite frankly insulting to the concept. They insist on doing everything themselves. Everything hand-crafted and scripted by them. Everything that’s not pvp/wvw anyway, and even that is terribly limited.

Being out in this world they created, they don’t let us do anything where they didn’t explicitly lay out how it must be done and what the only outcomes can be. We don’t get to create, destroy, change, own, ..anything. It’s all so artificial and “not ours”. We’re not participants in this world. We’re spectators. Anet runs a pretty good show, but how many times does it need to be seen until you lose interest?

I know I’m not the only player who wants to actually feel ENGAGED in the world. I want to feel like I really can set my own goals and have my own things to care about. Not tedious fake scripted goals Anet sets for me. I want myself and my guild to be able to achieve some kind of actual prominence in the world. Something “real”.

And I don’t mean having banners up for Guild Missions for a few minutes and then it’s like we were never even there. I also don’t mean taking a castle in WvW just to to lose it 10 minutes later (and have that ownership have no value outside of PPT anyway).

I want to be able to do things in Tyria that are actually significant on some small level. What we have currently is a wide variety of options for completely pointless busy work. It just feels empty and unsatisfying and none of it makes any difference to anything or anyone.

Give us more meaningful things we can do with existing content and you (Anet) get so much more bang for you buck. Don’t put so much focus on things we’re just going to burn through in a few weeks. The story/themepark stuff is great and I do appreciate your efforts, but it’s also short-lived. And throwing in all kinds of pointless busy work doesn’t change that.

Please give consideration to more open-ended and meaningful things we can do. Things where WE decide what happens, how, when, etc. Where the outcome is what we make of it rather than what you dictated it would be. You get infinitely more replay-value down that road.

I’m personally very interested in Crowfall and EQN. I’ve even started taking an interest in Albion Online (which I was initially too quick to dismiss). It’s all about the features and things we’re allowed to do. I’m tired of feeling like a ghost in an unchanging world I can’t influence or have a place in. None of these new games are out yet, but when they are, how am I supposed to justify spending my limited free-time in Tyria? I already can’t, more often than not (I did just spend a whole hour or so playing last night, but that’s increasingly rare).

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Vayne.8563

Arguably you can get ascended gear without crafting by doing stuff in fractals.

Not really. You can get ascended RINGS in fractals and there’s a chance for ascended drops, but they are account bound and the odds of you getting the stat set you need for every piece of armor and weapon is very small, bordering on nonexistence.

You can get an amulet with laurels, accessories with guild commendations, rings with fractal relics, but armor and weapons can only reliably be attained through crafting.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I got almost 5k hours played, still don’t have the dungeon achievement, Haven’t leveled all classes. Haven’t experienced human personal story past level 10. Haven’t played all activities. Haven’t tried every fractal instabilities. Haven’t crafted a legendary. Haven’t gotten PvP titles on all characters. Haven’t completed all the JPs or 100% map completion. How the heck are people running out of content once they hit lvl80?

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I’d agree with what most people have already said here. I think the theories/explanations can be defined into two categories:

“Selective completion”. People say there isn’t enough content because there isn’t enough content or activities they want to participate in. If you decide you don’t enjoy playing dungeons or WvW, then your choice of end-game is very much reduced. This game is great in that there is so much variety in content. It caters for everybody really, but by offering a large variety means that there isn’t much of each category.

In short, if you want to be entertained in the game for a long time, you’ll probably have to dabble in a few different areas. Selective completionists have it hard because in most cases, there isn’t enough of one game-type to keep things fresh. Everybody has a personal preference, so if you’re complaining because you want more variety in your favourite game-type, I think that’s perfectly justified.

“Ignorant/Apathetic Completion”- saying that the game doesn’t have enough to offer without actually knowing what’s available. Many people will strike off certain content from the list simply because they believe they won’t like it. Many of the end-game content/modes require some form of learning or skill- lots of people quickly put content to bed because they don’t want to spend time researching/learning how to do things.

These kinds of people are just making things difficult for themselves. Arguably, it’s because most games “spoon-feed” players so there doesn’t need to be any player autonomy. Players who lack self-motivation are going to suffer because the goal posts aren’t put in place for them. These are the kind of people I don’t have time for- if you can’t be bothered to put in the effort, you don’t deserve the rewards!

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

I know I’m a broken record about it and maybe most people are perfectly happy for GW2 to be just like every other lame-kitten themepark. But so what. I won’t stop advocating for player-driven sandbox features…

… how am I supposed to justify spending my limited free-time in Tyria? I already can’t, more often than not (I did just spend a whole hour or so playing last night, but that’s increasingly rare).

Even if they would want to do that, the content of the game can’t be infinite. They have already set alternative variations that depends of the player choices and are dragged for some part of its personal story, they could go deeper on that and make the options to have more repercussions on more places, characters and conversations, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but at the end, we are in the same point. Sometime it will arrive a moment where the player has already played all the content that the game can offer to his interest, and will ask for the “endgame” again like they did with the vanilla version.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Not having content you are interested in is not the same as not having content. Fractals, season 2, level 80 areas and the level 80 dungeon paths may be the only new things, but all the other things are still available.

Rather than keeping them from character before level 80 to create some artificial ‘new content experience’ upon reaching level 80, they made them available sooner, so people can enjoy them more. That is a good thing.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

Even if they would want to do that, the content of the game can’t be infinite. They have already set alternative variations that depends of the player choices and are dragged for some part of its personal story, they could go deeper on that and make the options to have more repercussions on more places, characters and conversations, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but at the end, we are in the same point. Sometime it will arrive a moment where the player has already played all the content that the game can offer to his interest, and will ask for the “endgame” again like they did with the vanilla version.

Forgive me, but I’m not quite sure if you understood what was meant by sandbox / player-driven.

What you’re talking is a much more fleshed out Personal Story, and having it actually be relevant to the “life” of your character going forward. I would like that too, but to do it right, it would have to be really in-depth and have to increasingly be kept up with as the game grows. But we’re still talking about scripted A/B/C “decisions” and their outcomes that Anet has pre-defined for us.

I’m talking about exercising the kind of freedom that you don’t get with AI. Like building a house where there wasn’t one before, or a guild being elected managers/owners of a town, guilds forming alliances for their own political reasons, all sorts of things like that.

Maybe have some towns/castles/whatever that are won in a seasonal GvG tournament (long-term but temporary ownership, like with elections, except more violent). Maybe take that further into an Alliance Battles sort of thing. Maybe take it further into a WvW-like situation, except you choose who your friends/foes are and the “winnings” don’t get reset until next season.

The point is to have free-form options where there can be meaningful decisions made by the players. The Dev doesn’t dictate what happens or know how things will turn out. They just provide the tools and players take it from there. Then we can become truly active participants in a world we’re actually are able to influence.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

At some point one could conceivably run out of content. I don’t think it’s the moment you ding to 80.

There’s so much more to do.
1. Achievements
2. World Exploration
3. Living Story
4. Obtaining armor sets
5. Obtaining ascended gear
6. Jumping Puzzles
7. PvP

This game is what you make it, really.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

on the contrary, some people believe the fun begins just at 80.. good thing about this game is that, at high level, the lower level content are not outdated like in other games where mobs turn grey and doing their quest/event doesn’t bring any benefit.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

(edited by azizul.8469)

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

At some point one could conceivably run out of content. I don’t think it’s the moment you ding to 80.

There’s so much more to do.
1. Achievements
2. World Exploration
3. Living Story
4. Obtaining armor sets
5. Obtaining ascended gear
6. Jumping Puzzles
7. PvP

This game is what you make it, really.

Just from my point of view:
1. Achievements/titles I only do if there’s a benefit. In my main current MMO, you get stat boosts for many of the titles, and they add up to make a bit of difference. Farming AP for an armor set doesn’t appeal much to me.

2. World exploration I only began to eventually get a legendary. It got old clearing every mission, finding every POI, and doing every skill challenge just for completion’s sake.

3. Living Story at this point requires either grinding out gold or paying real money for what isn’t really a massive content release. It’s not as bad as a recent expansion in another title I frequented, but it’s not good either.

4. Obtaining new looks isn’t bad at all, it’s just a horrid transmutation system that makes it not enjoyable. I could not keep up with my look for toons while leveling multiple characters at once via the exploration and log in rewards, and having to PvP or pay real money to do so is unappealing. This is Fashion Wars and end game, and it’s not very well executed.

5. Getting Ascended really only serves a purpose if you do fractals. It wouldn’t be so kittenomething to occupy players if you could directly farm the mats, but you can’t, so like other things at end game, it become a gold grind to get what you really want.

6. Jumping Puzzles I can take or leave, but unless you like that kind of platforming on top of a bit of annoying hopping around that’s already been done to get POIs/Skill points as you leveled, it can be tiresome pretty quickly. Again, all that jumping for very little reward.

7. How many PvP maps are there? It loses its luster pretty quickly.

No game will ever be perfect. People play multiple board games, single-player/co-op games, card games, and whatever else because nothing can entertain endlessly. That said, there’s a reason that most games have end game raiding and gear progression. Players want to feel their characters growing, becoming more powerful, expanding their skills, etc. Currently this game scarcely offers more than one gear load out for optimum clearing of most dungeon, fractal, and open-world encounters, so there’s no incentive to spend the time acquiring gear with other stats. No new dungeons or fractals have been added in quite sometime, and the upcoming group content will be open-world as well.

This game really caters to casual play here and there, with no worries of falling behind if you’ve been gone for one month or one year. There’s no expansive new story at 80—being rectified soon, but it’s been a very, very long time in the making compared to any other AAA or worse MMO. There’s no character progression beyond 80 at current. There’s no path to progress in any meaningful way at 80. There is a path being laid out, but at this pace, players won’t get to face all of the dragons of Tyria—assuming that all are to be fought—until somewhere around fifteen years from now, maybe even later.

If you watch developer interviews, the majority of those involved with other titles tout end game as the goal for their players, the place where the true game experience really sets in. This game has gone on another path, and has suffered for it. Living Story would have been an amazing alternative if it didn’t disappear every two weeks. It hurts a game when everything else out there allows players at least the option of experiencing almost every bit of core/world-shaping content no matter when they pick up the title.

Now this game is going to the expansion route. The main problem is that hundreds of hours of playable content disappeared with LS: Season 1, and S2 is nothing but unessential side story in terms of advancement, meaning that new players coming to the game today see a massive lack of content when comparing this title to any other MMO that launched concurrently or in the majority of cases even long after it. Heck, even larger themed events like Super Adventure Box have yet to be repeated, where as most MMOs bring such content back on a semi-regular basis to mix things up for veteran players and generate excitement for players that haven’t seen it yet.

For all intents and purposes, HoT is the first permanent content expansion this game will see, and its first real end game, with Silver Wastes, Dry Top, and LS: Season 2 serving only as stop gaps that can mostly be ignored by anyone picking up the title once it hits. End game, whether in the form of meaningful exploration, rewarded achievement, or continued high-level questing is far, far behind where it should be.