The grab for cash, where's your reach stop?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

But the game doesn’t discourage TP flipping. Are you suppose to flip stuff on the TP? Why aren’t you suppose to farm? Why doesn’t the system punish open world farmers more than COF p1 farmers?

TP flipping is really hard. It’s to do with learning the economy, predicting what items will grow in price. That’s why very few people are able to do it without suffering considerable loses.
World farmers are sort of punished more that CoF farmers. You need to continue to move in the open world and there are very few spots that are being farmed. You can continue running CoF for 1/3rd the reward all day long. CoF is the one that should be nerfed next to be honest.

Thank you! I think most of us get enough paycheck to paycheck type crap from life everyday, what’s the problem with making the game actually feel rewarding at some point?

Apparently the problem is a select few number of people who can’t stand to kill monsters to get items for more than 3 minutes at a time in any one place. I really don’t see anything else it could be other than extreme ADD and jealousy.

the more rewarding the game will be, the higher the prices will rise on the trade post, because everyone will have more money, meaning that most of your goals won’t be any closer.
You are not supposed to sit there and kill monsters repetitively. Most people that came to Guild Wars 2 do not like doing so. It’s not ADD, it’s being bored. Bored is bad for the game.

If you aren’t supposed to kill monsters(??) in an MMO, they should make a different genre of game.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

If you aren’t supposed to kill monsters(??) in an MMO, they should make a different genre of game.

you are supposed to kill them for quests. You are not supposed to depopulate the world -_-
You’re a hero that defends the world from dragons and goes to do dangerous missions in dungeons, or fight the invaders in WvW. You are not some lonely village hunter that kills bears repeatedly.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

@Mitra

I was feeling crabby, thanks for not taking the bait. I do think that most of the gain from COF p1 does not come from the end reward.

I think that many people who complain about wanting more gold really want access to the things gold provides. There are very few things that actually require gold (repairs and waypoints which are pretty trivial).

Therefore, people should be asking for increased drop rates. More supply means lower prices. More gold means higher prices.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

I’m really confused as to what is in the Gem shop that’s so kitten precious

Bag Slots: Are you really carrying 100 items with you at all times?
Bank Slots: What are you hording? Especially since crafting items have free slots
Character Slots: Maybe for an Alt-aholic
Dances: I agree. Dances are OP
Town Clothes: Because everyone deserves to look ugly
Mining Pick: Someone did the math, and you would have you have to use it constantly for like 6 years to break even?
Mini Pets: Baby lions are the only things that matter, right?

Too be fair….if you’re doing WvW your bags fill up quite quickly if you’re fending off a huge zerg on stonemist.

I read that as “feeding off a hurge zerg on stonemist”, I guess either is accurate

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

You have to find the sweet spot.

How long can the stick with the carrot be before the ettin stops chasing it?

Edit: Replace ettin with your own favourite mini. I had a long text there before, but decided that it really only boils down to this – not trying to be negative either. Perhaps one more thing:

I don’t need someone to tell me what I want.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Therefore, people should be asking for increased drop rates. More supply means lower prices. More gold means higher prices.

That’s true. More supply for NEEDED items is the answer, not more gold/random loot.

There is a problem when people choose to farm something (cof p1) to get enough gold to buy something they need instead of… you know, killing the “proper” mobs to get it! For example, lots of people will agree that farming cof p1 and then buying Powerful Blood is far better than killing the mobs that drop it, because it will take hours and hours of boring gameplay, at least in CoF P1 you are doing “something” slightly more exciting, especially if you are not in a 4War/1Me “bot” team. With cof p1 farming you are 100% sure you will get what you want, with actual farming of whatever mobs drop the blood, you might not get how many you want in a reasonable amount of time.

They really need to make materials and lodestones and other items that people want, more readily available and from more sources.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

you are supposed to kill them for quests. You are not supposed to depopulate the world -_-
You’re a hero that defends the world from dragons and goes to do dangerous missions in dungeons, or fight the invaders in WvW. You are not some lonely village hunter that kills bears repeatedly.

There is a huge difference between being able to kill monsters in the same spot longer than 15-30 mins and depopulating the world. Also, I’m done with dragons, missions, dungeons, etc. I still play WvW of course, it’s the saving grace for this entire game atm.

All we are really asking for is a way to get items reliably rather than unknown factors and RNG, even if it still takes months and months, there needs to be some form of guarantee for time invested.

+1 to whoever said more supply is needed, that would be a great start.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Mirta.5029

There is a huge difference between being able to kill monsters in the same spot longer than 15-30 mins and depopulating the world. Also, I’m done with dragons, missions, dungeons, etc. I still play WvW of course, it’s the saving grace for this entire game atm.

All we are really asking for is a way to get items reliably rather than unknown factors and RNG, even if it still takes months and months, there needs to be some form of guarantee for time invested.

other games would stop providing you loot after the 4th mob killed. 30 minutes of just killing something is a long time. And I’m yet to see an MMO with no RNG. To be honest finding any game without RNG would be hard. Loot drops have always been random everywhere. If you want to be sure to get what you need to should sell what you get and buy what you need.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

From where I’m sitting, there are only two types of people who are genuinely hurt by the addition of speed bumps to popular/efficient farming methods: people who want Legendary weapons and people who want to buy everything from the Gem Shop with gold.

As someone who would like a Legendary weapon or five, I sympathize with those who find themselves X gold short of Y. But I also recognize that I can do literally everything in this game without a particle-effect producing weapon. So I’m somewhere between “that sucks” and “meh” when it comes to farming nerfs.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

If nobody ever farmed everything would’ve been cheap. But people don’t realise this and continue to farm so prices continue to go up…. when people finally wake up and see how bad farming is for the economy maybe they’ll stop complaining about “nerfing” the loot of farming spots/dungeons.

Micro economics 101. When there are more goods available (here through farming) the price goes down all other factors held constant. The more people farming ori nodes, the lower the price of ori. You might say that farmers are self-limited by this. The more people farm, the lower the prices will go. They are only hurting themselves in this regard.

As John Smith (GW2 resident economist) will attest, GW2 has an economy. It’s normal in any economy for individuals to buy and sell. Farming in GW2 will do nothing to harm the economy.

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

This is how I see the gem shop…
Since I consider farming as a 2nd job and not fun I will ask you:
Do you make in 1 hour enough gold equal to 800 gems (converted back into gold), if the answer is:
A. no – consider converting gems to gold. Since you may as well get a 2nd job in real life and I believe you make over $10 an hour.
B. yes – farm away!

1+1 = potato

(edited by Firegoth.6427)

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Do yo make in 1 hour enough gold equal to 800 gems (converted back into gold), if the answer is:
A. no – consider converting gems to gold. Since you may as well get a 2nd job in real life and I believe you make over $10 an hour.
B. yes – farm away!

Aw I can’t do both?

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Firegoth.6427

Do yo make in 1 hour enough gold equal to 800 gems (converted back into gold), if the answer is:
B. yes – farm away!

Aw I can’t do both?

You may, that was my take on things

1+1 = potato

Geotherma.2395

B. yes – farm away!

Aw I can’t do both?

^^ Good, cause I just keep tossing gold at an empty guild lol. Perhaps soon it won’t be so empty :P

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Firegoth.6427

B. yes – farm away!

Aw I can’t do both?

^^ Good, cause I just keep tossing gold at an empty guild lol. Perhaps soon it won’t be so empty :P

If you get a couple of guild missions, feel free to sell it to me

1+1 = potato

Geotherma.2395

B. yes – farm away!

Aw I can’t do both?

Actually I solo bought enough influence to have every guild bounty open and ready. I also have everything else to Tier IV or V. All from my own gold >influence from 3 months. ^^ I’d love some help with them lols

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

I’ve never spent a dime of real life cash on this game and I don’t plan to either.

Nothing in the gem shop is an absolute must have, you can’t buy power here – it’s all luxury/vanity kitten.

Firegoth.6427

B. yes – farm away!

Aw I can’t do both?

Actually I solo bought enough influence to have every guild bounty open and ready. I also have everything else to Tier IV or V. All from my own gold >influence from 3 months. ^^ I’d love some help with them lols

Can guild names be changed? (never tried to open one)
I can fund you half a legendary for that guild if you’re interested and the name can be changed

1+1 = potato

Mirta.5029

Do you make in 1 hour enough gold equal to 800 gems (converted back into gold), if the answer is:
B. yes – farm away!

what’s the point in making 28 gold an hour? While casually playing I make 14 gold a day or so. I don’t really need more than that. Even if I was saving up I wouldn’t require to save more than that to slowly move towards my goal. 14 gold a day X 100 days = 1400 gold in the bank. That’s a cheap legendary in less than 1/3rd of a year right there.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

okay. The reason the game discourages you from farming is because you are NOT supposed to FARM in this game. Yes, you lost your money, that’s always sad, but because of that a game that discouraged farming will not suddenly change and allow farming.
Now about dungeons – I did not notice any change in dungeon loot. I think that you just have a bad case of RNG. I was never too lucky myself. I tend to get blues and some greens sometimes. Friends that I run with though get cores and yellows sometimes. It was always this way and wasn’t changed.
And I never needed to exchange gems for gold either. All gem store items that I wanted I got with gold.

Yes, because you do not need to farm 24 hours a day to get a legendary weapon. You do not need to farm 8 hours a day to get the commander title. You do not need to farm dungeons to get money/tokens/items to buy armor. (That was complete and total sarcasm just in case you didn’t catch that.) You sound like a casual player that coasts along and lets money come to him over a long amount of time, but for the players that need to earn it quickly, they have to farm repeatedly. So tell me again how we’re not supposed to “farm” in this game and how it wasn’t made for “farming”.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Firegoth.6427

B. yes – farm away!

what’s the point in making 28 gold an hour? While casually playing I make 14 gold a day or so. I don’t really need more than that. Even if I was saving up I wouldn’t require to save more than that to slowly move towards my goal. 14 gold a day X 100 days = 1400 gold in the bank. That’s a cheap legendary in less than 1/3rd of a year right there.

Hey you got me good there budd! strong argument! what can I say? caught me with my pants down.

Now go ahead and explain that to the rest of the people who complain about how long it takes them to get a legendary.

1+1 = potato

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

statistics show that 15% of a mmo population farm, if farming is not seen as viable then that is 15% of the population lost. No wonder gw2 is failing

80% of all statistics are made up on the spot. And GW2 failing is total supposition.

I go with the thousands of companies that use statistics. Yes you are right it is not defintive truth BUT it does show trends. My example is accurate and used in the gaming industry: If you sit 100 mmo gamers in a room 15 of them will concentrate on crafting. 1% will concentrate on (40 person) raids (this % increases as the raid size decreases). This is the reason large group raids was not implemented in this game.

AS to total supposition sales and share prices are the answer to that.

Mirta.5029

statistics show that 15% of a mmo population farm, if farming is not seen as viable then that is 15% of the population lost. No wonder gw2 is failing

80% of all statistics are made up on the spot. And GW2 failing is total supposition.

I go with the thousands of companies that use statistics. Yes you are right it is not defintive truth BUT it does show trends. My example is accurate and used in the gaming industry: If you sit 100 mmo gamers in a room 15 of them will concentrate on crafting. 1% will concentrate on (40 person) raids (this % increases as the raid size decreases). This is the reason large group raids was not implemented in this game.

AS to total supposition sales and share prices are the answer to that.

crafting doesn’t equal farming you know.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Serious question…….if that’s the case, why do they populate the entire world with mobs? Shouldn’t there only be mobs in dungeons and around quest following that logic?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Serious question…….if that’s the case, why do they populate the entire world with mobs? Shouldn’t there only be mobs in dungeons and around quest following that logic?

Getting drops is different from farming them. It gives people stuff to kill going from one place to another. If someone wants to stay in one place and kill the same mobs over and over again, that’s fine, but there will eventually be diminishing returns. If they keep moving, then there won’t be.

I don’t see a problem with this.

Villious.8530

other games would stop providing you loot after the 4th mob killed. 30 minutes of just killing something is a long time. And I’m yet to see an MMO with no RNG. To be honest finding any game without RNG would be hard. Loot drops have always been random everywhere. If you want to be sure to get what you need to should sell what you get and buy what you need.

I’ve been playing MMOs since Ultima Online. I’ve never played one of those “other games that would stop providing you loot after the 4th mob killed”. Just curious as to what those games are.

I agree that RNG is the nature of the MMO beast, but personally, I’ve never played an MMO with this much RNG……so to speak.

(edited by Villious.8530)

Mirta.5029

I’ve been playing MMOs since Ultima Online. I’ve never played one of those “other games that would stop providing you loot after the 4th mob killed”. Just curious as to what those games are.

Tera. Their DR against botters and farmers is to literally stop providing any loot after the 4th mob killed or so. Even if you’re doing the killing for a quest. In their opinion their players should make money doing pvp, dungeons, raids and quests. Every game is free to set their DR as they feel free and set their own rules. I don’t really think DR in GW2 is that bad. It’s pretty forgiving if anything. You can still run dungeons for 1/3rd reward (in WoW you’re limited to one raid in a week, no exceptions), you can still kill mobs if you change your location slightly while still getting loot and not having to reset the instance multiple times (GW1 with their not respawning mobs until the map is reset).

Villious.8530

Tera. Their DR against botters and farmers is to literally stop providing any loot after the 4th mob killed or so. Even if you’re doing the killing for a quest. In their opinion their players should make money doing pvp, dungeons, raids and quests. Every game is free to set their DR as they feel free and set their own rules. I don’t really think DR in GW2 is that bad. It’s pretty forgiving if anything. You can still run dungeons for 1/3rd reward (in WoW you’re limited to one raid in a week, no exceptions), you can still kill mobs if you change your location slightly while still getting loot and not having to reset the instance multiple times (GW1 with their not respawning mobs until the map is reset).

Never played Tera. That would be game, not “games”. I’ve played Ultima Online, Everquest, Everquest 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Asherons Call, Asherons Call 2, World of Warcraft and a few others I’ve forgotten. To me, Tera looked a lot like Aion, and I didn’t like Aion, so I never tried Tera.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

The reason the game discourages you from farming is because you are NOT supposed to FARM in this game.

loooooooooool

So you’re supposed to get all those ecto and T6 stacks (legendary, ascendeds, MF skins) by not farming? GL doing that.

No offense, but who said you really “needed” that stuff? If you really want it ASAP, then that’s your self-imposed grind, but not necessarily everybody else’s.

Even the optional fluff like what you mentioned can be gotten through normal play-it may take a long, long time, but you’ll get there.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Micro economics 101. When there are more goods available (here through farming) the price goes down all other factors held constant. The more people farming ori nodes, the lower the price of ori. You might say that farmers are self-limited by this. The more people farm, the lower the prices will go. They are only hurting themselves in this regard.

Ori prices DO go down from time to time, but lodestone prices are not, people do Ori runs but there aren’t as many people farming for lodestones, they farm cof p1 and buy them with gold instead.

It’s obviously true, that the more people that farm -specific- items, the lower the price for those specific items becomes as there is more supply, BUT it is also true that the more people that farm -just for gold- cof p1 for example, it won’t make the prices go down, they might even go up instead, supply is the same, but some people are richer, so they can sell higher, there will be buyers. Those who don’t farm -just for gold- will have issues getting what they want, if there is not enough supply for it.