The hate for talent

The hate for talent

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

More and more I am experiencing this habit that the community has to despise people who claim to be skilled for this game.

Try it: go to LA, and say that you are a good player.
(Note: I am not saying I do it. This sentence is for rhetorical purposes)

People will instantly tell you that you lack humility, that you are an elitist, that you are despicable etc; for no reason.

People do not want to see or be aware of the fact that some players can be more skilled than them (no boasting, just statement of skill). The community seem to believe that they would be better off without such players.
It appears as if the community would like to stay bad and play only with bad people.

It is also the same on the forums.

I believe this is not benefiting the game in itself because it promotes stale and boring gameplay additions rather than diverse and challenging content.

As a comparison: when you play football as an amateur you play it for fun and you dream of being as skilled as the players of international level. In GW2 the ’amateurs" have no such dreams, worse: they do not want to face the fact that being better is possible.

With all due respect, why the discrimination?

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

(edited by Zelyhn.8069)

The hate for talent

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because someone that is actually good have no need to shout about being good?
A good player don’t need to get confirmation from other people to know that they are good.
And people shouting about being good in chat simply looks like kittenholes.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

The hate for talent

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

More and more I am experiencing this habit that the community has to despise people who claim to be skilled for this game.

People will instantly tell you that you lack humility, that you are an elitist, that you are despicable etc; for no reason.

People do not want to see or be aware of the fact that some players can be more skilled than them (no boasting, just statement of skill). The community seem to believe that they would be better off without such players.
It appears as if the community would like to stay bad and play only with bad people.

I believe this is not benefiting the game in itself because it promotes stale and boring gameplay additions rather than diverse and challenging content.

As a comparison: when you play football as an amateur you play it for fun and you dream of being as skilled as the players of international level. In GW2 the ’amateurs" have no such dreams, worse: they do not want to face the fact that being better is possible.

you have just summed up the entirety of several of my other posts xD
ive tried to get my point across but youve done it in ten times the less writing,
Im aguild leader and help out as many people in my guild as i can so please dont just shout elitist!! i need more challenging content in this game, it doesnt have to be required just as long as i can show off, i like seeing other people show off with items they have achieved i dont think of it as a one way thing like most people do, i like seeing people with things that i cant get,

This will make me go crazy and work extremely hard to et it and when i do i will show off like they did, this is a gap in gw2 and these players are the ones that have been left in the dark i know that the game was set at the start to be casual but surely they can cater even a small bit of the game to challenge seekers,
btw im not solo’ing lupi xD

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

The hate for talent

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I let my actions speak for themselves, people can judge me on that.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

The hate for talent

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

People who brag they are “skilled” are most of the times not only NOT the most skilled at all, but also often just annoying and also arrogant, and therefore not pleasant people to play with.

And discrimination? It’s usually the ones who think they are better than everyone else who discriminate the “lesser players”, and not the opposite.

“Any man who must say ‘I am the king’ is no true king.”
- Tywin Lannister, Game of Thrones.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

A good player don’t need to get confirmation from other people to know that they are good.

dude youve just had a thread closed for saying I QUIT because you were better than everyone else in pvp,

so sorry to everyone else if im coming across rude as im normally not but you can take your kitten comment and kitten kitten kitten

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

People who brag they are “skilled” are most of the times not only not the most skilled at all, but also often just annoying and also arrogant, and therefore not pleasant people to play with.

And discrimination? It’s usually the ones who think they are better than everyone else who discriminate the “lesser players”, and not the opposite.

“Any man who must say ‘I am the king’ is no true king.”
- Tywin Lannister, Game of Thrones.

although this post raged me a little, i say you said majority :P
take note that i like to show off to my friends to instill compettion and i like it vice versa aswell

The hate for talent

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

dude youve just had a thread closed for saying I QUIT because you were better than everyone else in pvp,

so sorry to everyone else if im coming across rude as im normally not but you can take your kitten comment and kitten kitten kitten

I would actually suggest checking that thread again.
I didn’t create that thread and I said more or less the same thing in that thread as I said here.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

The hate for talent

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

I didn’t create that thread and I said more or less the same thing in that thread as I said here.

He’s been confusing two lords I think

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

OMG im soooo sorry it was lord erik not you
now who looks like an idiot xD

The hate for talent

Zelyhn.8069

I am not talking about boasting etc, I dislike skilled players who despise average players, but I like competition, I like to dream, I like to strive to be the best (in a healthy way), I like the fun and the motivation I get from being challenged! yet people hate me for my yearnings.

Elitism is not the problem here, what is wrong is averageism !! :)

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

The hate for talent

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

Just a question: How do you know you are better than everyone else? And when I say better I mean more skilled. How exactly do you measure your level of skill compared to all other players from your server (shouting in LA) or all other GW2 players (forums)?

IMO, the problem with claiming to be more skilled than other people is problematic, because “being skilled” is a subjective view and something I don’t think you can measure precisely. This especially goes, because of the inequality of classes.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

The hate for talent

Posted by: tcat.6725

tcat.6725

Is this thread for real? Is the OP really asking why people make fun of him on the forums and LA when he starts to brag about how good he is at this game? Thank you for the silly post, it gave me a good laugh. I especially enjoyed when the OP tried to compare playing a video game to a professional athlete.

The hate for talent

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Truly good players don’t advertise…. they ‘show’ it by simply playing. Jumping in and helping people out that are losing a fight, offering their assistance to someone asking for help with no expectation of any type of repayment. They are humble, and most will tell you (if asked) that they aren’t good players.

People that shout that they are ‘good players’, ‘have skillz’, or advertise ‘pro x’ usually tend to be jackkittens that (in fact) aren’t good players.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

The hate for talent

Zelyhn.8069

Don’t get me wrong, I am not talking about advertising.
Of course I would never say “I am a good player” in chat in LA.
Please just try to understand the problem here :)

Addition example:
A highly ranked player in DotA is often a streamer and average people will watch his play to become stronger. This is healthy. it does not prevent average players from having fun, and actually they are usually proud to play a game that has a competitive scene.
In GW2, the community makes sure that no one can have such pride.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

(edited by Zelyhn.8069)

The hate for talent

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I am not talking about boasting etc, I dislike skilled players who despise average players, but I like competition, I like to dream, I like to strive to be the best (in a healthy way), I like the fun and the motivation I get from being challenged! yet people hate me for my yearnings.

Elitism is not the problem here, what is wrong is averageism !!

Nobody knows you so I very much doubt if anybody hates you.

People generally admire talent, maybe even feel a little envious, but generally nobody likes a braggart.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

The hate for talent

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am not sure what anyone could expect by publicly proclaiming they are better than everyone/anyone else. Be it in-game, on-forum, or standing on the neighborhood corner.

An age-old adage comes to mind: actions speak ever-so-much louder than words.

Good luck. =)

The hate for talent

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Go outside and tell people you are better then them.

See if they like it.

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

i dont think anyone is understanding the OP’s point,
he is referring to the skill that you compare with fellow challenge seekers, healthy competition likewise,
i do the same thing, if im friendly with someone and ive skyped them before ill teae them about something they dont have, its what makes you want to get unique items, it all links,
He is NOT refferring to going up to new players and laughing in theyre facing because they are still coming to terms with the game.
Read before commenting or you just look ignorant

The hate for talent

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I wouldn’t say that the GW community doesn’t allow people to have pride in their playing ability. There are several people that stream when they play (and are good) that have people following/watching/asking questions/commenting what-have-you.

In every community you will find the rotten apples, the ones that are jealous of those that have more skill. The ones that can’t appreciate that someone else could be better than them. If all of the people were like this, things like the shoutcasting wouldn’t happen. There would be no point, because no one would watch. There wouldn’t have been such a huge gripe about the lack of an observer mode for pvp.

But yeah, if you just walk into LA and ‘say you’re a good player’ be prepared to get ragged on. Cause like I said before, people that makes comments like that generally aren’t.

The hate for talent

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

This has not been my experience at all. When we play in WvW we regularly take notice of skilled players and people often look at them with envy.

I suppose it would depend on how you approached the conversation, and it could be easy to wade into an egotistical or condescending tone when talking about how awesome you are.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

This has not been my experience at all. When we play in WvW we regularly take notice of skilled players and people often look at them with envy.

I suppose it would depend on how you approached the conversation, and it could be easy to wade into an egotistical or condescending tone when talking about how awesome you are.

agreed, i never boast to people i havnt played with before as i dont know how they will react, however all in my guild are subject xD unless theyre new then i help them and introduce them to the others.

The hate for talent

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

That’s what I’m seeing.. It’s not that you play good, it’s that you are telling everyone about it. That’s egotistical and elitist and that’s what people have a problem with, you tooting your own horn.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

The hate for talent

LanfearShadowflame.3189

he is referring to the skill that you compare with fellow challenge seekers, healthy competition likewise,
i do the same thing, if im friendly with someone and ive skyped them before ill teae them about something they dont have, its what makes you want to get unique items, it all links,
He is NOT refferring to going up to new players and laughing in theyre facing because they are still coming to terms with the game.

Then he shouldn’t have lead with ‘go into LA and say you’re a good player’ and see what happens. Of course, you’re going to get jumped on. It’s not that people aren’t, or don’t want to be, aware that they are other, more skilled players than them in the game. It’s that they dont necessarily want it rubbed in their face. Only kittenholes do that, and walking into a town and announcing ’I’m a good player’ is going to precieved as exactly that.

Perhaps it was a bad example, but that’s precisely what I got from the initial post.

The hate for talent

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

This game is a haven for casual players. Maybe that’s a good thing. When a AAA hardcore MMO is released that requires actual skill and minimal brain activity; the casual players can stay right here.

The hate for talent

zenleto.6179

Then he shouldn’t have lead with ‘go into LA and say you’re a good player’ and see what happens. Of course, you’re going to get jumped on. It’s not that people aren’t, or don’t want to be, aware that they are other, more skilled players than them in the game. It’s that they dont necessarily want it rubbed in their face. Only kittenholes do that, and walking into a town and announcing ’I’m a good player’ is going to precieved as exactly that.

Perhaps it was a bad example, but that’s precisely what I got from the initial post.

Same.

The hate for talent

zenleto.6179

This game is a haven for casual players. Maybe that’s a good thing. When a AAA hardcore MMO is released that requires actual skill and minimal brain activity; the casual players can stay right here.

I’m more than happy to let those with minimal brain activity get their jollies elsewhere.

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

That’s what I’m seeing.. It’s not that you play good, it’s that you are telling everyone about it. That’s egotistical and elitist and that’s what people have a problem with, you tooting your own horn.

true true i just think the OP has had difficulty getting his words across, no one should ever be able to judge themselves in WvW as they dont know what others think,

i honestly though i was an average pvp’er until i started getting comments complimenting me on how fast i was, it made me smile tbh but i didnt then go around shouting it at people, but it did make me aware that i had been acknowledged as a good player and oh boy did my officers in the guild hear about it xD

The hate for talent

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

What I hate is people what decide how good a player you are based on your class. Yer playing a Ranger? Horrible player (because your class is bad, you are bad!). Playing a Thief? Horrible player (because we don’t like your class, you are bad!). Playing a Guardian and you’re fantastic, everyone loves you and you’re the best thing since sliced cheese.

I’m better than average in PvE; prolly not one of the best – I wouldn’t know how to rate that and I ain’t claiming to be super girl – but better than the average player I see by a fair biscuit. But people find out I play a Thief and all I get is, “oh, she’s a noob; you don’t want a challenge; you play the game on easy mode; your daddy doesn’t love you!”. But there are good and bad players in every class. I play Thief because when done right it’s exciting and the other classes bore me; but that doesn’t mean I won’t play with someone else who likes their class just because I don’t.

I say don’t judge anyone until you’ve played with them, (unless you just don’t like their personality) because I find alotta people what claim to be average are pretty good players and alot that claim to be super are showboaters what run off and leave the party to play without them. But you never know until you give ’em a chance.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

The hate for talent

Zelyhn.8069

I understand your comments but you seem to jump on the assumption that I boast or brag about my skill level.
I never mentioned I have a high skill level (I did not mention the opposite either).
I never mentioned I shout about my skill level, I said: " try it".
I am actually a very respectful player, and I am very open to talk about skill level.

Thank you RedCobra for your understanding!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

The hate for talent

LanfearShadowflame.3189

What I hate is people what decide how good a player you are based on your class. Yer playing a Ranger? Horrible player (because your class is bad, you are bad!). Playing a Thief? Horrible player (because we don’t like your class, you are bad!). Playing a Guardian and you’re fantastic, everyone loves you and you’re the best thing since sliced cheese.

/Agree

So kitten annoying. This goes right back to the conform or gtfo mentality that some of us are trying so hard to discourage.

I say don’t judge anyone until you’ve played with them, (unless you just don’t like their personality) because I find alotta people what claim to be average are pretty good players and alot that claim to be super are showboaters what run off and leave the party to play without them. But you never know until you give ’em a chance.

So much this. ^^

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

lol true i think its just badly worded but lets not flame him xD let him defend himself

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

/Agree

So kitten annoying. This goes right back to the conform or gtfo mentality that some of us are trying so hard to discourage.

So much this. ^^

wasnt so long ago that i thought rangers were bad in 1v1’s i always aproached them as a mesmer with a smile on my face,
i recently got a name for myself among ROF players for being ruthless in 1v1, it was going well but i was thrown to the ground and put in my place by an amazing ranger, he was honestly the best i had ever seen, we threw comments at each other but they were all friendly, the challenge seeker i am i kept redueling even though i lost time after time, think it was about 6 duels before i gave up, well at least i can say i didnt EVER judge people before knowing them from then on

The hate for talent

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

I don’t see any basis for your assertion that this community doesn’t like skilled players.

1) As you have said, your example of going to LA and saying “I’m a good player,” doesn’t really get at what you’re trying to communicate here, because you can’t differentiate between the ridicule you’ll receive as a result of your perceived pompous attitude and that you’ll receive because people believe you, but dislike you simply for being good.
2) Your other example is that in other games, players watch skilled players’ videos to learn to be better themselves. We do that here also, have you ever been to the profession-specific forums? It’s all builds and videos put there to inspire and teach those interested.

You implied above that RedCobra is the only one who understands you. I understand you fine, I just don’t see any support (in my experiences playing this game) for your position. Do you have any additional points to make to convince us?

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

The hate for talent

Zelyhn.8069

Please read the OP accurately, and do not make this discussion about whether I am a bad person for having made such post but more about the behaviour of the community.
Read my replies and you will understand that there is no reason to make it personal :)

Edited OP with a note for clarification, didn’t think it was necessary though, my bad!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

(edited by Zelyhn.8069)

The hate for talent

LanfearShadowflame.3189

lol true i think its just badly worded but lets not flame him xD let him defend himself

Perhaps. Not all of us can be highly versed in wordily expressing themselves in such a way that the masses have complete clarification and transparency as to the point that the poster intended. (that’s supposed to be a ‘haha’ for anyone that doesn’t quite get it)

I do agree there’s no point in flaming him. (I think my posts have been relatively non-flamey, will have to double check now, haha)

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

The hate for talent

Posted by: tcat.6725

tcat.6725

So I read your post again and let me see if I understand you now:

“It appears as if the community would like to stay bad and play only with bad people.”

“I believe this is not benefiting the game in itself because it promotes stale and boring gameplay additions….”

So your opinion is that the “bads” are not recognizing your skill (and those like you) or improving themselves enough, therefore GW2 designers will create stale and boring content to appease only them.

If this is the point you are trying to make, I would have to strongly disagree.

The hate for talent

zenleto.6179

Please read the OP accurately, and do not make this discussion about whether I am a bad person for having made such post but more about the behaviour of the community.
Read my replies and you will understand that there is no reason to make it personal

Maybe edit your post a bit or put in a disclaimer. Might help with new readers.

The hate for talent

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Tywin Lannister:

Any man who must say “I am the king” is no true king.

If you have to boast, you probably can’t prove it, most people can pick up on that.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

Read my replies and you will understand that there is no reason to make it personal

i think you should retract the “shout out in lions arch” bit though its giving the wrong impression, you have to remember that people dont read the comments the see the OP and jump in with the flame responses, while i agree that there isnt enough content for skilled players id say that 100% of the praise i have recieved from being skilled has never come from me telling someone, its because they either instanced with me and wanted to add me or dueled me in wvw

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

Tywin Lannister:

If you have to boast, you probably can’t prove it, most people can pick up on that.

to answer the OP’s post though id say its just like sarcasm on the internet, you cant use it if you dont know them as they will take it the wrong way, just like i can see is happening on this thread atm.

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

hey cherrie, i could probably boast and proove it but i wont know for sure until ive got to know the person im dealing with, part of advancing your skill is knowing your strengths and weaknesses, if i dont know im good at something then i wont being using it to my advantage, im an avid wvw’er so i need to know where i excel to exploit it and work on what got me killed

The hate for talent

Zelyhn.8069

Tywin Lannister:

to answer the OP’s post though id say its just like sarcasm on the internet, you cant use it if you dont know them as they will take it the wrong way, just like i can see is happening on this thread atm.

True that, but it wasn’t even sarcasm: just because I said “try it” people assumed I do it. It’s called reading accurately!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

The hate for talent

LanfearShadowflame.3189

i think you should retract the “shout out in lions arch” bit though its giving the wrong impression, you have to remember that people dont read the comments the see the OP and jump in with the flame responses, while i agree that there isnt enough content for skilled players id say that 100% of the praise i have recieved from being skilled has never come from me telling someone, its because they either instanced with me and wanted to add me or dueled me in wvw

I agree, maybe the removal of that line (especially as an example) would help.

I’ve had much the same experience when it comes to skill praise. The compliments and such that I have received while playing (in Gw1 and Gw2) have always come unprompted. People that have noticed my title, and then tag along. Places where I jump in to help out just because I’m bored. Players I’ve done dungeons and other instanced content with. Etc etc. I’ve never claimed to be a good player (and never will, cause I don’t think I am), but others seem to think so (although I think they’ve been smacked upside the head a few too many times in order to come to that conclusion lol).

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

Tywin Lannister:

True that, but it wasn’t even sarcasm: just because I said “try it” people assumed I do it. It’s called reading accurately!

i was referring to boasting though it can be taken the wrong way even more than sarcasm can you have to be careful who you do it to, honestly if i saw someone in LA saying im good at the game, id probably peek interest and ask to instance with them, maybe they would be a potential helper in the future but with that kind of broadcasting i wouldn’t have them in my guild

The hate for talent

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In my experience people who are actually good at something, whether it’s a game or a sport or a job or whatever, will get on and do it.

People who stand/sit around telling everyone who will listen how good they are actually tend to be mediocre at best and looking for praise/gratification or have a vastly inaccurate view of their own abilities.

Genuinely good players do get respect. It may be tinged with frustration, especially if they’re good at PvP and you just found out because they completely thrashed you, but people will respect them.

But if someone is standing in LA telling everyone how awesome they are most people are likely to roll their eyes (literally or figuratively) and either ignore them or disagree if they’re bored and feel like some troll baiting.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

The hate for talent

RedCobra.7693

I agree, maybe the removal of that line (especially as an example) would help.

I’ve had much the same experience when it comes to skill praise. The compliments and such that I have received while playing (in Gw1 and Gw2) have always come unprompted. People that have noticed my title, and then tag along. Places where I jump in to help out just because I’m bored. Players I’ve done dungeons and other instanced content with. Etc etc. I’ve never claimed to be a good player (and never will, cause I don’t think I am), but others seem to think so (although I think they’ve been smacked upside the head a few too many times in order to come to that conclusion lol).

and there is nothing wrong with modesty xD i have a guildie who is amazing but she is the most modest person in the world, sometimes i want to just scream.

the problem is gw2 doesnt offer anyway to Subtlely boast with items so people resort to shouting, how can i boast about solo’ing lupi in game, you cant, gw2 needs to cater to this audience as it causees unrest in players in the current situation as seen in this thread

The hate for talent

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

…id say that 100% of the praise i have recieved from being skilled has never come from me telling someone, its because they either instanced with me and wanted to add me or dueled me in wvw

This comment in conjunction with my own experiences in game (not saying I’m skilled, I mean when I play with people who are clearly more skilled than I) reinforces my opinion that there isn’t rampant “talent hate” in this community.

If I’m in Arah and my group nearly wipes on Lupi in P3, but we have one guy who stays up, handles Lupi’s aggro, and gets someone else up and we recover, I recognize that he needed skill to do that and I appreciate him for it.

Same in WvW when following a skilled commander.

I just don’t see where this idea that people dislike skilled players comes from, so it’s easiest to assume that your experiences are coming from players picking up on an attitude from you that you are more skilled than they are. You may not have that attitude, and I may be wrong. But in that case please explain what your experiences are that led you to post this, because the points you’ve made so far don’t resonate with me at all.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

The hate for talent

Zelyhn.8069

…id say that 100% of the praise i have recieved from being skilled has never come from me telling someone, its because they either instanced with me and wanted to add me or dueled me in wvw

This comment in conjunction with my own experiences in game (not saying I’m skilled, I mean when I play with people who are clearly more skilled than I) reinforces my opinion that there isn’t rampant “talent hate” in this community.

If I’m in Arah and my group nearly wipes on Lupi in P3, but we have one guy who stays up, handles Lupi’s aggro, and gets someone else up and we recover, I recognize that he needed skill to do that and I appreciate him for it.

Same in WvW when following a skilled commander.

I just don’t see where this idea that people dislike skilled players comes from, so it’s easiest to assume that your experiences are coming from players picking up on an attitude from you that you are more skilled than they are. You may not have that attitude, and I may be wrong. But in that case please explain what your experiences are that led you to post this, because the points you’ve made so far don’t resonate with me at all.

Why should players feel bad about the fact that some players are better than them?

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]

The hate for talent

LanfearShadowflame.3189

the problem is gw2 doesnt offer anyway to Subtlely boast with items so people resort to shouting, how can i boast about solo’ing lupi in game, you cant, gw2 needs to cater to this audience as it causees unrest in players in the current situation as seen in this thread

We have some things, but I agree that we don’t have enough.

In GW1, we had armors and weapons to denote some prestige (FoW armor with before Nightfall came out. Some ghostly weapons, Urgoz’s bows, etc) We also had more titles… Survivor (when it actually meant something), Protector, Guardian, I could go on and on and on. The difference though, is that GW1 is 3 games and an expansion. Titles weren’t available until after Factions, and while FoW armor was the epitome of bling in Prophecies, that wasn’t available right at the beginning either. All of that was added over time.

We do have some of these things at the start here in GW2, and I’m assuming we’ll get more over time. (More weapon skins, more armor, etc) People just need to have patience and give it time. Its frustrating, true, but patience is a virtue.