The little details that matter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

A few things I’d like to see come into Guild Wars 2 from Guild Wars 1:

1) Emotes. Sure Guild Wars 2 has emotes, but they seem completely primitive compared to those present Guild Wars 1. One emote that struck me in particular was the /sit and /stand emotes; in Guild Wars 1, the character takes time to sit down properly and doesn’t seem to float down to the ground as in Guild Wars 2; there isn’t even a stand emote for characters in Guild Wars 2 because why stand when you can instantly appear on your feet. Emotes are a core part of many MMORPGs allowing for a variety of roleplay, machinimas, screen shots, killing time, etc. Instead of upgrading from Guild Wars 1’s 73+ emotes, Guild Wars 2 downgraded to 20+ emotes.

GW2 emotes: /beckon /bow /cheer /cower /cry /dance /kneel /laugh /no /point /ponder /salute /shrug /sit /sleep /surprised /threaten /wave /yes /rank

GW1 emotes: /agree /wings /aion /attention /beckon /beg /boo /scare /bored /bow /bowhead /head /catchbreath /breath /cheer /clap /congrats /cough /dance /dancenew /doh /doubletake /drums /drum /excited /fame /rank /fistshake /flex /flute /goteam /encourage /guild /ladder /champion /guitar /airguitar /helpme /highfive /five /jump /kneel /laugh /moan /no /paper /pickme /point /ponder /pout /ready /roar /rock /roll<#> /salute /scissors /scis /scratch /shoo /sigh /sit /afk /sorry /stand /taunt /rude /violin /wave /yawn /yes /zrank /zaishen

2) An option for a first-person view camera. I’ve read that they chose not to add the feature of first-person view mainly because they felt it would take away from the bond a player would have with his or her character(s), but I personally believe that first-person view has increased the bond I have with my Guild Wars 1 character.

First-Person Cons (that I can think of): PvP and dungeons would be a pain in first person, jumping puzzles might become more challenging, character height differences might lead some players at an advantage over others from a technical standpoint.

First-Person Pros (that I can think of): Better screen-shots, better machinimas, better view of the world they designed, being able to see the world from your character’s eyes and not from the back of the head.

I know there are several instances in the Guild Wars 2 gameplay that intentionally manipulate the third-person camera distance, but I really don’t understand why there can’t be a setting in the menu that would toggle first person view on and off. All they would need to do would be to add a buff to the character (similar to the guild banner buffs, selfless potion, etc.) so that other players could tell if one is in first-person or not.

Golden shackles are still golden.

(edited by Thanatos.2691)

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

3) Guilds. I don’t mean the current guilds in Guild Wars 2 that are essentially extended parties with access to banks, a few PvE challenges, and some guild weapons. I mean guilds like the ones in Guild Wars 1 with guild halls, GvG, etc.
I personally have become bored of Guild Wars 2 guilds and been playing guildless for well over a year now with no regrets. Anything you can do in a guild, you can do on your own. You can make your own personal guild bank, join weekly challenge guilds that only do challenges weekly then leave, find groups for anything with the LFG tool (which is a great addition,) and tag along with raiding parties in WvWvW. I’ve seen a few GvG matches in the Obsidian Sanctum arena, but that’s not true GvG with legitimate ingame scores and rankings.

4) Skills. Guild Wars 1 had over 1310 skills for a variety of different class-combinations. Guild Wars 2 has a majority of cookie-cutter builds and a mixture of utilities and unmodifiable weapon skills.
Sure there is no dual-class-system in Guild Wars 2, but players are given very little variety in builds with mostly useless elite skills, multi-purpose utility skills, and weapon skills that take up half the skill bar. I would personally like to see new weapon skills added to the game which could be used to modify the functionality of certain weapons.

5) Elona/Cantha/Dervish/Ritualist/etc. I’m sure these are being worked into expansions for the future, and I’m eager to await what kind of scythe-twirling spirit-armored classes ANet has in mind for the future of Elona/Cantha. The main thing I ask for regarding future expansions: better personal story that doesn’t get hijacked by a NPC. Glory to the paying customers, I say.

Overall, the little details could make a big difference in the game. Roleplayers and Machinimas are crippled by the lack of options regarding camera and emotions in my opinion. The roleplay community and ability to do proper machinimas are essential to keeping any major MMORPG at the top, as they are a good chunk of the player population. The game seems to be geared towards average casual gamers with higher-quality graphics and less content than the original Guild Wars. I admit I just recently started playing Guild Wars 1, but I would honestly stay in GW1 if the community wasn’t microscopic compared to that in Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 stuck true to the lore of Guild Wars 1, changed the gameplay entirely, and downgraded the little details that made me fall in love with Guild Wars 1.

After all, it’s the little details that matter.

What are your thoughts? Agree/disagree? Anything you’d like to see brought back from Guild Wars 1 to make Guild Wars 2 more enjoyable?

Golden shackles are still golden.

(edited by Thanatos.2691)

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

I think every single one of these suggestions has been requested…. MANY times in these forums before. I’d love all of them (especially a first person camera option). Hopefully in the future we’ll get at least some of them.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: Godzzila.3752

Godzzila.3752

I think every single one of these suggestions has been requested…. MANY times in these forums before. I’d love all of them (especially a first person camera option). Hopefully in the future we’ll get at least some of them.

I don’t even think this forum is read by anyone with “power” to take decisions. The only anet workers going around here just seem to keep the forum from going to far on verbal abuse and such things…

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Is “little details” a tongue-in-cheek thing here?

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m pretty sure there’s a list somewhere at ANet of things that will never happen in GW2… and judging by how many times these requests have been made… don’t get your hopes up. It seems they generally don’t like making the game more like GW1, and I can’t really fault them for that.

Although I really want to see load/save feature for traits+skills at least.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Arctinus.7824

Arctinus.7824

I recently started playing GW1 and am amazed that it has so many more emotes than GW2. And not only that, it also has so many different dance moves – each profession AND gender has a different one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeH0ucIcb2Y). Would it be really that difficult to implement a bit more diversity when it comes to emotes/dance moves?

More skills would also be nice as well as perhaps a new class. As for Elona/Cantha, I don’t know. I’d personally like to explore the existing map first (Far Shiverpeaks, Blood Legion Homelands, Isles of Janthir, Scavenger’s Causeway etc.)

It seems, though, that it’s unlikely any of these things will be implemented anytime soon if ever. :/

Posted by: Omap.8530

Omap.8530

The problem is that Anet backed themselves into a corner with the living world story, they’re forced to make new content every month and do just that instead of fixing bugs or adding “little details” that people have been asking for since beta. This even is a cop out excuse, but I don’t actually know how much money they make that they can’t hire a new guy to add simple emotes. I just don’t know. the whole game as it is just feels just an unpolished as beta, and why? so we can have another living world event where you kill guys and do the same five events over and over to collect stackables to trade into weapon skins.

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

There are likely less emotes in GW2 as each one has to work for 5 races, compared to GW1 where all emotes where all PCs were human.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

New regions are not little details, lol

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Everything you wrote is either huge or completely irrelevant to me personally.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

So basically your complaint is that Guild Wars 2 is not Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t even think this forum is read by anyone with “power” to take decisions. The only anet workers going around here just seem to keep the forum from going to far on verbal abuse and such things…

That’s probably very much the case. This is how it works in many companies.

A huge percentage of all forum posts are a waste of time from a production point of view. People yelling to nerf this or nerf that and other people telling them to learn to play. People saying that dungeons are too hard. Plenty of stuff that makes no real sense to pay attention to.

So taking a dev that has authority and making him troll through thousands of posts to find dozens of useful ones is a bad business decision.

Instead you have works who aren’t as vital to the game go through them and make lists of the stuff they should look at/pay attention to.

It works the same way in publishing. You get 1000 submissions a month, 100 of which aren’t crap. It’s called the slush pile. You get a junior editor to go through the slush pile and reject the crap. Then they go through the 100 and weed out the ones that fit the criteria you can actually buy and maybe 20-30 of them get to the editor’s desk, of which he’ll choose five.

Godzzila.3752

A huge percentage of all forum posts are a waste of time from a production point of view. People yelling to nerf this or nerf that and other people telling them to learn to play. People saying that dungeons are too hard. Plenty of stuff that makes no real sense to pay attention to.

So taking a dev that has authority and making him troll through thousands of posts to find dozens of useful ones is a bad business decision.

Instead you have works who aren’t as vital to the game go through them and make lists of the stuff they should look at/pay attention to.

It works the same way in publishing. You get 1000 submissions a month, 100 of which aren’t crap. It’s called the slush pile. You get a junior editor to go through the slush pile and reject the crap. Then they go through the 100 and weed out the ones that fit the criteria you can actually buy and maybe 20-30 of them get to the editor’s desk, of which he’ll choose five.

I don’t think there are such things as a list, I think that the forums and every suggestion that comes from them are 100% ignored by the devs (unless they are stuff like bugs that are really messing things up)

Vayne.8563

I don’t think there are such things as a list, I think that the forums and every suggestion that comes from them are 100% ignored by the devs (unless they are stuff like bugs that are really messing things up)

You’re welcome to think anything you like. Do you have any evidence of this, or are you just guessing?

Allaraina.8614

DUDE

/highfive

Have you worked in publishing? Cause yay fellow people who have worked in publishing! <3

…. That said I don’t envy those poor editors. Those deadlines, man _

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D

Vayne.8563

DUDE

/highfive

Have you worked in publishing? Cause yay fellow people who have worked in publishing! <3

…. That said I don’t envy those poor editors. Those deadlines, man _

I’ve worked on and off for years, but mostly for small presses and later on epublishing companies. It’s hard work. A lot harder than most people think.

Allaraina.8614

I’ve worked on and off for years, but mostly for small presses and later on epublishing companies. It’s hard work. A lot harder than most people think.

Definitely. I’ve been told it’s one of the most high stress, underpaid white color industries. After being there even for a short time, I’m inclined to agree. Serious kudos to you for being able to stick it out there!

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Thank you so much.

“Another ‘I want to play Guild Wars without actually playing Guild Wars/this game feels too much like it’s own, I want it to be like another’ thread.
Well, these are little detai—— that is quite the opposite of little. Is ‘giganormassive’ a word.”

Olba.5376

Numerous changes that have been made to the game, both in balance and elsewhere, have appeared in the Suggestion forum months before they were in the game.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

So basically your complaint is that Guild Wars 2 is not Guild Wars 1.

This is like saying ,I read harry potter philosopher’s stone and it was amazing.
Now i just read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and it was terrible.
Then why didn’t you just read the first book Again?
Keep in mind guild wars 1 is a 10 year old game. It doesn’t mean its bad.
I agree with OP on some things.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

GW2 is the most un-further-developed MMO I have ever seen. After almost two years there is lack of typical stuff like:
-new playable races
-new classes
-new crafting disciplines
-new skills
-new weapon types
-new dungeons
-new raids
-new pvp modes (WTF!?!?! I found 1 mode ridiculous during release, but after two years it’s just embarassing)
-new campaign/continent (Elona, Cantha)
-…

The only thing that has 100% attention is the gem store, the gem in their hearts, the one shiny emerald tear that brings the company’s finance department to joyful bliss.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Thank you so much.

“Another ‘I want to play Guild Wars without actually playing Guild Wars/this game feels too much like it’s own, I want it to be like another’ thread.
Well, these are little detai—— that is quite the opposite of little. Is ‘giganormassive’ a word.”

Such comments really make me wanna vomit.
Imagine you clinging onto your gw2 :Please, I wanna stack in corners to kill stuff, I wanna do my 100 man zerg content, please leave my Gw2 alone it’s so unique!!!

Though I do agree that these aren’t really little details. To some these might look like an addition, for others this might make the game complete because they don’t find it finished right now.

Olba.5376

GW2 is the most un-further-developed MMO I have ever seen. After almost two years there is lack of typical stuff like:
-new playable races
-new classes
-new skills
-new weapon types
-new dungeons
-new raids
-new pvp modes (WTF!?!?! I found 1 mode ridiculous during release, but after two years it’s just embarassing)
-…

Let’s see about that. Currently, there’s simply no space for a new crafting discipline without adding a whole new category of items. And that would be kind of silly, adding a whole new category of items just so that you can craft them. We have gotten tons of recipes and Ascended crafting added to the game.

As for dungeons, we have gotten Fractals of the Mists. Unless that doesn’t count because you don’t like it or something?

They have added new areas to the game in the form of the Zephyrite Sanctum, Southsun Cove and most recently, Dry Top.

ANet has also offered explanations for the lack of most of the things on your list. New professions are less likely than new weapons, which in turn are less likely than giving the current professions more access to the current weapons. ANet wants encounters like Tequatl and Triple Trouble to be the “raid-like content” in GW2. In GW1, having a lot of PvP modes split the PvP population too thin over too many modes for ANet’s liking.

This is like saying ,I read harry potter philosopher’s stone and it was amazing.
Now i just read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and it was terrible.
Then why didn’t you just read the first book Again?
Keep in mind guild wars 1 is a 10 year old game. It doesn’t mean its bad.

Doesn’t mean that you should implement it. WoW has more sales than any other MMO ever, I would say that’s pretty good argument for it not being a “bad” game. So with that, how would you feel if we copypasted WoW and called in Guild Wars 2?

You can’t just say “something isn’t bad so we should have it in this game”.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

-new playable races
-new classes
-new skills
-new weapon types
-new dungeons
-new raids
-…

The only thing that has 100% attention is the gem store, the gem in their hearts, the one shiny emerald tear that brings the company’s finance department to joyful bliss.

GW2 was an unfinished product when released in 2012 … they had a golden chance to start new but they choose to keep DX9 .. a big mistake. So much things was missing in the first months … just to name one the crafting stations was unable directly to use your materials in your collectible tab … you had to have all the stuff in your inventory to craft … no one remember that ?? It took one year and a half to fix crafting merchants in ebonhawke …. the list is so huge …

Posted by: Diba.4682

Diba.4682

-new playable races
-new classes
-new skills
-new weapon types
-new dungeons
-new raids

-I do not want new playable races
-I do not want new classes; Actually I want to see the current classes expand drastically to fulfill what we might think of as new classes
-I do not want new crafting disciplines; and do not ignore we have been given lots of expansion for crafting
-new skills; okay
-new weapon types; okay
-new dungeons; so what are the fractals? Just because it is not a “dungeon” does not mean it is not new dungeon-like content. They also added the new dungeon in TA, so it is not like they haven’t done anything on the matter.
-New raids; The revamp on Teq. and the addition of Trip Troub are very much raid quality. Significantly, they will be the standard Anet will pursue for future raid additions, where as the old ideas only worked for a little while before they became easy zerg-fest.
-New pvp modes; They did add one, although they are not ready to make it the norm and introduce it to tourney, I am not sure why, but we can trust they have their own reasons for not doing so.
-New campaign and content; We have a new living story…. and what about dry top? Huge success in spurring players to do the events whereas other maps no one even cares. Anyways, there has been plenty of new map content else where such as the zephyrs, Queen Jub, South Sun. Sorry it is not Cantha and Elona like you want, but it is there.

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

A limited version of 1st person camera would be great for cinematic screenshots and alike, although I’m not fond of a full-on 1st person view. I’ll get dizzy with my thief.

Godzzila.3752

Numerous changes that have been made to the game, both in balance and elsewhere, have appeared in the Suggestion forum months before they were in the game.

This means nothing. Some balancing issues are just straight up obvious and you wouldn’t need feedback to notice them. The fact that it takes MONTHS from being said in the forums to actually something being made about it is just another example of nothing you say or do in this forum has any relevance…

Olba.5376

This means nothing. Some balancing issues are just straight up obvious and you wouldn’t need feedback to notice them. The fact that it takes MONTHS from being said in the forums to actually something being made about it is just another example of nothing you say or do in this forum has any relevance…

Well, among other things, the following were in the Suggestions:

• 4s Revealed
  • Wallet
  • Cleansing Ire
  • Burst Recharge% for Discipline
  • Ferocity
  • Burst Mastery

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

As someone with the power to make decisions at the company where I work I can definitely say that’s how it is. Whenever a customer service rep/forum mod honestly feels that there’s a major issue developing then they will send a copy of all of the comments/emails to me to a) see that there is indeed a universal problem (and not necessarily a 50/50 divide- an actual overwhelming majority of people thinking it is a problem, which almost none of the GW2 complaints in the forums actually have) and b) decide what course of action to take (toss it in the garbage or not essentially).

They do not have the power to publicly suggest solutions or make promises to anyone (obviously). They pretty much default to “I will pass your message along to the appropriate person” or “We will look into this”.

If I end up feeling it is indeed a major issue, I will bring it up at the next production meeting and then we as a group decide a) if we want to ignore the issue/table it for another day (not recommended—I feel Anet is guilty of this), b) how to address the issue, what the time/cost requirements will be, and how to communicate it properly to our customer base, or c) decide it really isn’t a major issue based on our vision of the product (i.e. “working as intended”) and then communicate that to the customers.

The problem with GW2 is that for every person complaining about X feature, there’s someone that defends X feature. Can you really even claim it is a problem if there’s not a real consensus from your customer base that it is in fact a problem?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

The problem with GW2 is that for every person complaining about X feature, there’s someone that defends X feature. Can you really even claim it is a problem if there’s not a real consensus from your customer base that it is in fact a problem?

.. Make love to me.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

.. Make love to me.

I’m not sure how I wou-……

Ok I’m rubbing my PC softly. That doin’ anything for you?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I agree with 1 and 2. When we don’t even have an emote to clap to show appreciation of someone’s rendition of the Game of Thrones theme on the flute, it shows the short coming of the emotes we have. And of course first-person mode with Rift support would be a plus.

We don’t need 1300 skills/traits. That’s way to complex and too easy to create broken builds as well as overpowered ones.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Godzzila.3752

As someone with the power to make decisions at the company where I work I can definitely say that’s how it is. Whenever a customer service rep/forum mod honestly feels that there’s a major issue developing then they will send a copy of all of the comments/emails to me to a) see that there is indeed a universal problem (and not necessarily a 50/50 divide- an actual overwhelming majority of people thinking it is a problem, which almost none of the GW2 complaints in the forums actually have) and b) decide what course of action to take (toss it in the garbage or not essentially).

They do not have the power to publicly suggest solutions or make promises to anyone (obviously). They pretty much default to “I will pass your message along to the appropriate person” or “We will look into this”.

If I end up feeling it is indeed a major issue, I will bring it up at the next production meeting and then we as a group decide a) if we want to ignore the issue/table it for another day (not recommended—I feel Anet is guilty of this), b) how to address the issue, what the time/cost requirements will be, and how to communicate it properly to our customer base, or c) decide it really isn’t a major issue based on our vision of the product (i.e. “working as intended”) and then communicate that to the customers.

I worked in a company dedicated to web application development and keeping in contact with the users was a a big important part of our job.
It’s not only the problems but also knowing what people think that should exist or not exist, and fact is VERY rarely there is any consensus or big majoraty about anything at all, that should not be a decisive factor while looking for implmeneting or fixing sometthing.
But I don’t think the problem is they not reading, ‘cause there is someone always reading for sure, the problem is they not giving feedback, on our feedback (hehe), at least they could say: "NO! That’s a stupid idea, kitten off!", but it’s always silence, like screaming at a wall…