The message suppression system appears to be overactive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

message suppression, fix it.

Don’t close everyone’s threads, this is a MASSIVE issue, I just hit 30 late last night and am looking forward to doing my first dungeon, and I will need to find a group!!

Turn it off, THEN discuss it, don’t waste days…. just don’t. Lots of people upset.

Posted by: Humor.5763

Humor.5763

I don’t really care to weigh in too much here as I don’t use “Map Chat” much.

However, I’d just like to point out, at least in my server (Stormbluff), I rarely see anyone talking in Map Chat at all. Whether it’s the same in every other server I wouldn’t know, I am simply stating, it sounds like ArenaNet is simply doing this as one of those “Just In case” scenario’s, I don’t mean to bash on them as well, and don’t mean anything by it. Simply asking, why do it, if the Map Chat, is rarely used.

I’ll maybe see it used for looking for groups for dungeons, however, there is no other manner of trying to look for groups period, other of course then the “Searching for party icon”, which I personally believe is absolutely useless since I’m going to guess a good few of the population have no clue how to use, or even that it exists.

I would personally suggest doing as many are saying, and remove the suppression, observe the situation a little more, and then if it “Needs” to be implemented, I would go ahead and do it.

Again, this is just coming from my server, I haven’t checked the server population in a while, and I seldom see people using Map Chat if at all.

Like God…
Only Better…

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

I agree it’s a bit heavy handed as I barely use chat other than to say thanks for the rez and it not that often in a very short amount of time and I get text message suppression. Whiles other can have a conversation without being suppressed at all.

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

Ya,lol.I died three times in an hour (was seriously under level for zone),I type a simple TY in /say channel and get suppressed on the third time.

It’s funny because scrolling back thru the chat text,the only two things listed from me in the entire chat for an hour or more was TY twice,and a good length of time apart from each other at that.

this game hasn’t turned out very social by design hahaha

Posted by: ounkeo.9138

ounkeo.9138

A pattern is starting to form here.

You can see that Anet has put in, what looks like a lot of effort into tools and systems to combat bots and farmers when the simplest solution would have been to hire GM’s to roam the world and deal with bots.

Instead, they’ve developed these automated systems with some effort that not only doesn’t work properly, but is inconveniencing the player base quite a bit. the Gold sellers and bots and farmers, none of this matters one iota to them.

why not put that effort into fixing the game instead. Anet’s anti-farm system obviously doesn’t have anywhere near the effect it should and frankly, it’s barely better than those free mmos that don’t have this system.

Why don’t they get that yet??

What’s next? Will we now be limited to 1 ingame mail per day because gold sellers are sending us gold spam via mailbox?

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

However, I’d just like to point out, at least in my server (Stormbluff), I rarely see anyone talking in Map Chat at all. Whether it’s the same in every other server I wouldn’t know, I am simply stating, it sounds like ArenaNet is simply doing this as one of those “Just In case” scenario’s, I don’t mean to bash on them as well, and don’t mean anything by it. Simply asking, why do it, if the Map Chat, is rarely used.

I’ll maybe see it used for looking for groups for dungeons, however, there is no other manner of trying to look for groups period, other of course then the “Searching for party icon”, which I personally believe is absolutely useless since I’m going to guess a good few of the population have no clue how to use, or even that it exists.

I would personally suggest doing as many are saying, and remove the suppression, observe the situation a little more, and then if it “Needs” to be implemented, I would go ahead and do it.

Again, this is just coming from my server, I haven’t checked the server population in a while, and I seldom see people using Map Chat if at all.

No. That is just you, on Sea of Sorrows we get buckets of map chatter and very very few gold spammers, I was under the impression they were mostly under control.

What arenanet just did is a huge joke, what do you think you are dealing with 5 year old children? you think these gold spammers wont adapt in a matter of minutes and set timers that will spam their crap every 5 min and 1 sec? You think they will lose lots of exposure because they cant spam constantly? Jesus more ppl will probably notice it as it won’t feel like spam anymore if its a bit rarer this is a fix for NOTHING and it is ruining peoples ability to be social, have fun and find players for dungeons -_-

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

No. That is just you, on Sea of Sorrows we get buckets of map chatter and very very few gold spammers, I was under the impression they were mostly under control.

What arenanet just did is a huge joke, what do you think you are dealing with 5 year old children? you think these gold spammers wont adapt in a matter of minutes and set timers that will spam their crap every 5 min and 1 sec? You think they will lose lots of exposure because they cant spam constantly? Jesus more ppl will probably notice it as it won’t feel like spam anymore if its a bit rarer this is a fix for NOTHING and it is ruining peoples ability to be social, have fun and find players for dungeons -_-

my sever is the same way, cant get people to shut up, and it was actualy about GW2 and lore today it was amazing!

also TC here good WVW match!

Posted by: Dreadlord.2791

Dreadlord.2791

The thing to remember is to not send the exact same message three times in a row. That is what triggers it. Send TY – then Thanks – then /bow – or whatever else. Just don’t spam the same LFG message over and over. Which is technically spam, just not regarding something negative (like goldsellers).

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

“The thing to remember is to not send the exact same message three times in a row. "

It’s just that Anet’s definition of “in a row” seems a bit off. Seriously, getting blocked for saying “ty” three times in an hour? It’s probably not by design and needs to get fixed soon.

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

It all has to do with the exact same message and yes even in 2 hours between if you are spitting out the exact same message you’ll get suppressed. It’s not permanent just slightly alter your message. Is it that hard to add an exclamation point or an extra couple of letters.

Posted by: RoninsBack.4023

RoninsBack.4023

Just stop! Hammertime!

Oh and no talking!

Just drawing up the plans for no smiling, jumping, laughing, running around, general shenanigans.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

Won’t the spammers just alter their messages slightly each time?

Posted by: CaveSalamander.9150

CaveSalamander.9150

What people generally do when LFG:
LFG CM exp
LFG CM explore
LFG Caudecus’s manor explore
etc etc until
Looking for group to do caudecus’s manor on explore, whisper me please!

My quest is to find the dorito.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

You can see that Anet has put in, what looks like a lot of effort into tools and systems to combat bots and farmers when the simplest solution would have been to hire GM’s to roam the world and deal with bots.

Instead, they’ve developed these automated systems with some effort that not only doesn’t work properly, but is inconveniencing the player base quite a bit. the Gold sellers and bots and farmers, none of this matters one iota to them.

GMs are an ongoing expense. This game doesn’t have a sub so it’s ongoing income is less fixed. That’s why they try to automate stuff and/or fix stuff with code.

I do think they need to do more, even if it’s hiring some people temporarily, to deal with some of the growing pains (due to poor design and/or underestimating problems that would arise).

I’m all for message suppression but it does seem wonky. Some people ramble like school girls in map chat incessantly to the point that I usually keep map chat disabled because I simply don’t want to watch conversations between a handful of mouthy brats.

Yet in WvW I had /say supressed when I used it maybe 3-4x in 3-4 hours while relaying pertinent tactical info.

RoninsBack.4023

GMs are an ongoing expense. This game doesn’t have a sub so it’s ongoing income is less fixed. That’s why they try to automate stuff and/or fix stuff with code.

I do think they need to do more, even if it’s hiring some people temporarily, to deal with some of the growing pains (due to poor design and/or underestimating problems that would arise).

I’m all for message suppression but it does seem wonky. Some people ramble like school girls in map chat incessantly to the point that I usually keep map chat disabled because I simply don’t want to watch conversations between a handful of mouthy brats.

Yet in WvW I had /say supressed when I used it maybe 3-4x in 3-4 hours while relaying pertinent tactical info.

+2,000,000 (quite a lot over) box and digi sales @ ~$60 a pop.

+$120,000,000, in addition to daily gem sales and you can read in the forum people do purchase, I haven’t personally but I would imagine they have daily income. They’re pushing us towards micro-purchases quite blatantly.

I definitely think they can afford it, even on a permanent basis.

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

You are insane if you think the $60 from each sale goes right into anets pocket. Each one of those $60 sales gets divided up into a ton of different chunks.

I knew a company owner who’s main product sold for $30. Out of that whole 30 he directly got $1 all the rest went to pay for all the expenses and people his business had. Now of course he had several offices selling several hundred a day so it was still good money but the point is that’s how money is broken up.

I don’t know exactly what anets costs are but I’m sure ncsoft takes a healthy portion of that money.

RoninsBack.4023

You are insane if you think the $60 from each sale goes right into anets pocket. Each one of those $60 sales gets divided up into a ton of different chunks.

I knew a company owner who’s main product sold for $30. Out of that whole 30 he directly got $1 all the rest went to pay for all the expenses and people his business had. Now of course he had several offices selling several hundred a day so it was still good money but the point is that’s how money is broken up.

I don’t know exactly what anets costs are but I’m sure ncsoft takes a healthy portion of that money.

To the extent that they can’t afford paying people to come into the game and police it, if that’s what people are asking for? If that’s what the game needs?

It’s a tried and tested method. Introducing DR as a bot prevention system is untested in MMO games. I’ve seen DR in other games, but I’ve never seen it used as a blanket anti-bot measure. Normally as an effort to stop casual and hardcore gamers getting out of reach of each other in terms of game progression. I can’t say I’ve ever seen it used in this way before.

It would appear to me after a month (which is a decent amount of time for a test) it’s not working very well, if at all and the only concrete data we have is that 1600 bots have been removed. 0.08% (and that’s a massive underestimate) of total global population!

Calling people insane is unecessary hyperbole and you know it. Or you don’t know what insanity is.

If their current means to stop bot proliferation worked we wouldn’t be asking to them to do anything.

I appreciate there’s design, R&D, advertising, distribution and myriad overheads that have to be taken into consideration.

Taking all this into consideration they have turnover (not necessarily all in profit) of One Hundred and Twenty-Something Million Dollars in a month.

This sole project as ANet isn’t their only revenue stream. Then there’s gem sales, which I’ve mentioned.

It’s still a valid point.

I’m also intruiged by the “it’s all part of some masterplan” posts and that if we’re just patient there’s going to be some big reveal. Hypothetical.

The way it looks to me right now is that the servers and especially the PvE (for obvious reasons) are literally suffering an infestation of bots. That’s not hypothetical it’s a reality and the feedback on the forum is overwhelmingly negative and diasappointed with this aspect of the game.

We’re not asking for something to be done to be annoying or antagonistic, not at all, we just want to play the game as it was marketed to us and intended. Without bots everywhere you turn.

That’s not so much to ask for.

Current anti-botting systems and measures seem ineffectual to me. There’s nothing wrong in asking them to do something about it.

I don’t want to hear about hypothetical ban hammers we cannot know are coming.

I just want to see bots gone. Bots I’ve noted and reported weeks ago. Bots that get in my way.

If you’re (generalization) so insistent on your server not being affected by bots, say which it is and we can come and have a look and see if there’s no problem.

If there isn’t a problem I’ll come and stay on that server permanently.

Sounds like heaven.

(edited by RoninsBack.4023)

Posted by: TAKBonez.4953

TAKBonez.4953

this feature is utterly useless and does nothing to stop gold spammers when their on. It jus hinders the rest of the player base & is a general nuisance.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

this feature is utterly useless and does nothing to stop gold spammers when their on. It jus hinders the rest of the player base & is a general nuisance.

Not useless imo… but not utilised properly and easily abused.

For example, some nerdrager on Underworld earlier kept spamming silly -, – , – - jargon and quoting random stupid obsenities whenever there was some form of map chat going on – because he was bored… that’s when it has its uses as well as suppresses the endless repetitive spam by deperado guilds using it is a /whisper me and your in thing…. ANET should of thought things through a little more regarding its chat system as well as their LFM considerations but to say utterly useless.. meeh i disagree at that part I’m afraid.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

They need to add a better option for LFG in general than spamming chat. The one thing that annoys me most is mailing people. They should remove suppression or severely increase the amount of mail you can send to guild members and mutual friends (As in they have you in their friendslist and you have them on your friendslist).

Gold spammers won’t be able to spam but at least I can send mail easily to all my guild members keeping them up-to-date on news (which MOTD doesn’t do since nobody ever really opens guild panel except for guild leaders.. That or come up with a far better way of displaying MOTD).

Also helps with being able to send items (Like some gear I crafted for a newcomer to the game to help them out). At the moment I get mail suppression every 2-3 mails. I understand the reason behind it but it shouldn’t include mutual friends and guildies.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: Silver Halliwell.4735

Silver Halliwell.4735

I am going to bump this up and have to agree with Fay. Currently, I get more play time than my wife and some other guildies. I get salvageable items all the time. So, to help both of them out I was trying to send them my salvageable items and I find it incredibly inconvenient to have to wait 1 min or so after 2 mails to the same person. It is easy enough to report and block someone if they are spamming you, so really what is the point of cutting me off after just 2 mails. At least give me 10 an hour.

I also agree with the person that said there needs to be a better MOTD other than hitting G. People forget about that and sometimes there is information in there that they need to read. On the other hand, I remember MOTD wars back in GW1 and it became quite annoying. So make it so that you can only change the MOTD like once an hour so that doesn’t happen, but it should appear when I log in and when changed. My 2 cents.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Alternative. Utilize gw2lfg.com

No more need to spam at all.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

I agree OP, just add it to the list of broken systems in this game. I just hope they take the time to fix it and not just ignore it.

Posted by: Genuine.4981

Genuine.4981

-i typed “LFG SE story”
-i hadn’t typed anything in an hour, then typed “LFG SE story”
i got chat suppression
i waited until it was lifted
-i typed “…” to see if i could type again and it worked
-i typed “this chat suppression is the worst”
i got chat suppression
i quit GW2