The perfect MMORPG.

The perfect MMORPG.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

I’m interested in seeing how the next generation of Sandbox MMO’s work out, these are games like Archage, Black Desert, Blessed, Everquest Next which will have no (or very little) linear content or in some cases class’s .. you just roll your character and it gets dropped into a world and away you go.

If you just want to build a farm and raise cows go for ir!
If you want to build a castle and rule a kingdom, go for it!
if you want to raid boss’s and dungeons, go for it!

In some ways GW2 tries this, but it really is more of a theme park mmo with the linear personal story lines and stepped zone progression.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Lifelike.5862

Lifelike.5862

an example of the flaws of “work for it” theory is this:

Player a is completely selfish, spent all his 3 hours farming the same mob beccause he found a loot too generous (or a minor exploit in a dungeon to make it easy).
If he goes to a dungeon he insults everyoen if they dont manage to do peed runs.

Plyer A gets rewarded

Player B helps actively community, helping low levels in dynamic events, attendingto wvwvw, and helps guildmates (but also strangers) to learn how to play in a dungeon, and helps people to gear.

Player B is punished because having worse drops, higher repair costs, less incomes and logistic costs….(see waypoint).

Player A meets player B in a dungeon OR wvwvw…one of them is profiting of equipment…

Player B leave the game
Player A goes on the forum saying AC is too easy and L2P etc etc etc….and he already got his legendary and is bored…..

Simple as that.

Well, one difference, does Player B realize he’s pretty much sacrificing “being the top dog” for how he chooses to do things? And if so, does he do it willingly or grudgingly?

Cause Player B pretty much encompasses me except for that higher repair costs bit – I rarely have to do full repairs outside of the two dungeon runs where I “lern 2 dodge traps” and hot action in WvW.

i do it quite happily……unless some elitist come son the forum insulting everyone and asking for nerfing ac drops and making it harder or because vertical progression is required….

I mean is like being fined because you help people…..that is too much for a GAME.

It’s just as bad when some casual elitist comes on the forum complaining about those ‘elitists’ who work for their gear, and demands to be able to achieve the same results for half the effort.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Player a is completely selfish, spent all his 3 hours farming the same mob beccause he found a loot too generous (or a minor exploit in a dungeon to make it easy).
If he goes to a dungeon he insults everyoen if they dont manage to do peed runs.

Plyer A gets rewarded

Player B helps actively community, helping low levels in dynamic events, attendingto wvwvw, and helps guildmates (but also strangers) to learn how to play in a dungeon, and helps people to gear.

Player B is punished because having worse drops, higher repair costs, less incomes and logistic costs….(see waypoint).

Player A meets player B in a dungeon OR wvwvw…one of them is profiting of equipment…

Player B leave the game
Player A goes on the forum saying AC is too easy and L2P etc etc etc….and he already got his legendary and is bored…..

Simple as that.

Well, one difference, does Player B realize he’s pretty much sacrificing “being the top dog” for how he chooses to do things? And if so, does he do it willingly or grudgingly?

Cause Player B pretty much encompasses me except for that higher repair costs bit – I rarely have to do full repairs outside of the two dungeon runs where I “lern 2 dodge traps” and hot action in WvW.

i do it quite happily……unless some elitist come son the forum insulting everyone and asking for nerfing ac drops and making it harder or because vertical progression is required….

I mean is like being fined because you help people…..that is too much for a GAME.

It’s just as bad when some casual elitist comes on the forum complaining about those ‘elitists’ who work for their gear, and demands to be able to achieve the same results for half the effort.

Lifelike, I’m still curious where you saw the grind in Minecraft, just out of perversity. Given I’m playing through a mod I might suggest on a server I help work on . . .

. . . I’m going to predict you’ll list the grind as “searching for those ever-elusive resources such as diamonds”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

The perfect MMORPG.

Lifelike.5862

I’m interested in seeing how the next generation of Sandbox MMO’s work out, these are games like Archage, Black Desert, Blessed, Everquest Next which will have no (or very little) linear content or in some cases class’s .. you just roll your character and it gets dropped into a world and away you go.

If you just want to build a farm and raise cows go for ir!
If you want to build a castle and rule a kingdom, go for it!
if you want to raid boss’s and dungeons, go for it!

In some ways GW2 tries this, but it really is more of a theme park mmo with the linear personal story lines and stepped zone progression.

Is that what it’s coming to? Jeez, that sounds…awful. No structure, no sense of identity. I don’t think I could enjoy that sort of game as an ‘mmo’. One of the first things I think when I boot up a new MMO is “I am going to be a _ and I am going to use _ build, and people will recognise me as such.” and that feeling is one of the reasons I love this genre – that sense of having a title and a class, and progressing that way. Like wearing a snazzy uniform and having the satisfaction of people looking at your character and immediately knowing “that’s a healer.” or “that’s a thief”.

Modern MMO’s are trying too hard to strip out the player’s sense of identity in order to homogenise the genre. Nobody has to learn anything anymore. Nobody has to put in any real effort or build their character from something small to something big. Nothing can compare to that feeling of starting out as a Novice in Ragnarok online and thinking “I’m going to work hard, and eventually I’ll be an acid bomb Genetic with a Dieter, and I’ll spec into MVPing, but also focus on brewing potions to play market”

This current mentality of “I want to PVP now!” is pretty depressing. I like how GW2 handles it by scaling everyone up when they go into WvW, but still forcing them to obtain decent gear to do well. But when a game starts completely removing defining features like classes, leveling and vertical progression, that’s when you know the industry is going downhill.

The perfect MMORPG.

Lifelike.5862

Plyer A gets rewarded

Player B leave the game

Simple as that.

Lifelike, I’m still curious where you saw the grind in Minecraft, just out of perversity. Given I’m playing through a mod I might suggest on a server I help work on . . .

. . . I’m going to predict you’ll list the grind as “searching for those ever-elusive resources such as diamonds”.

I edited my previous post with details on what I percieve to be a grind in minecraft. And don’t worry, I actually enjoy that kind of grind a lot. I don’t necessarily consider it a bad thing at all.

still playing vanilla minecraft.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Inkubus.7529

Inkubus.7529

Think about a dungeon for example. You have to model actual objects in the dungeon be it say a statue or an alter etc.. you have to create texture for them, then you have to place them in the world, model and create the surrounding be it a temple or a huge cavern. You need to create and set particle effects be it smoke rising from the ground or lava splashing around. You then need to create the mobs and the npcs, create the story for them, animate them, script them to behave a certain way, perhaps code AI if they engage in a new behavor that isnt yet available in game, you have to create goals the npcs are trying to achieve, You have to create traps and other mechanics, script them etc.., create travel paths. you also have to create the sound effects, possibly music or decide which existing once you’re going to use. Create NPC dialog, do the voice overs etc… Then you have to test out the whole thing, fix bugs, improve / smooth rough areas. Suffice to say it takes weeks of work to create a single dungeon.

On the other hand a player goes through it in what 45 mins?

You should try modding. Modern programming involves advanced functions that parse invented script or XML files and do staff regarding those scripts. A good example is The Creation Kit for Skyrim. Bethesda even give tutorial on YouTube and Wiki support to encourage this. I also made a mod and planned 2 new mods (a big flee market and a city that player helps to be built) and it is not that hard. You have predefined object on which in this Kit program do small variations and with careful placement gain illusion of different shapes (especially for cave dungeons and ruins). Object events and effects are scripted and can work in drag and drop manner with adding other 3D objects. I am pretty sure Arena Net did same thing except they don’t release loosely their kit program to avoid all sorts of stupidity players might add.

Adding new content from players is good idea yet it is a bit hard and limitating in world of Tyria, but it would be possible to create extra personal stories this way that players can choose after completing current one. Also, players could design new instances with all sorts of jumping puzzles, additional paths to the present dungeons and so on.

But there is more. If we have this scripted on the server, Arena Net can now and then inject these new stories and content so players would literally discover new items as time pass by. Over time, content would become so dense with additional stories and dungeons that players could have more than they bargain for thus ensuring players would play game for very long time. And this to be totally separate from expansions. Expansions should be totally new landscapes, new environments, new textures… These things I am talking about are suppose to create fun with what we already have.

And please, drop FotM. While reading it I totally understood as players go trough section of the dungeon and while moving on, the next part is always different. Let me explain: For example let us take Ascalon Catacombs. Let players do Lieutenant Kohler and only one passage is open into another section of the dungeon where we don’t know what type of dungeon would it be as random choice of certain number of predefined dungeons with their boss in that second part and after killing him they move forward into final section of the dungeon with hardest boss. This way it would look like one long and challenging dungeon and players would always be in one dungeon but path would be changeable every time they step in. All this is possible to program and script very well.
Now, FotM it is very broken and discriminatory. Broken since it feels like 3 random mini dungeons not connected in any way. Discriminatory as players of higher levels don’t want to play with lower levels.

Inkarius [ele] Inkores [war] Inkratos [ran] Inkariosa [nec] MaINK The Liar [thf] Inklusion [msmr]

The perfect MMORPG.

Lifelike.5862

I’m not fond of modding. I can understand the fun that comes with it, but it feels like a perversion of the actual product, like playing Ragnarok on a private server. I could play a fun mod if I liked the features being involved, but I would never consider it a true game experience and would value the original more.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Plyer A gets rewarded

Player B leave the game

Simple as that.

Just to explain more easily:

Try to clear AC with a group of lvl 35 players
Then try to clear AC with a group of geared lvl 80.

Wich route requires more skill and more time and more effort?
FYI its a lvl 30-35 dungeon

As i said its so sad elitist think they deserve more for being selfish…..
This is the main issue Anet solved with GW1 and GW2 at the beginning.

In the common mmorpg, time and being selfish is the ultimate road to success….
You don t even need skill, but equip and exerience…

Skill is the ability of adapt to a situaton and getting the best out of it REAL EXAMPLE:
Was playing ac with low level friendslast day we got to the point we died to ghosts in the ghost eater trap area so for possibly a glitch spawned double the amount of ghosts.

One lvl 80 player (the only aside me) ragequit, the four left were able to kill the ghosts with a well tuned teamplay and a well planned tactic.

A thing that i seldom see in lvl 80 groups….(no need for tactic when your equip compensate for mistakes….).

Yet we got only 60 tokens in a 1,5 hours run……i bet the ragequitter just found a lvl 80 party and claened twice the dungeon pressing 2 keys….
And thought he was so better than us >.>….

But when a game starts completely removing defining features like classes, leveling and vertical progression, that’s when you know the industry is going downhill.

afaik vertical progression is causing a huge crysis in mmorpg market….
While the only able to get their own market were those removing old concepts like grinding completely..

I’d like to see wich game without vertical progression are having troubles.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

The perfect MMORPG.

Lifelike.5862

It’s also sad when the casual player thinks they deserve more for being lazy or impatient. Typically you see the increasingly common mentality of “no, I don’t want to work for anything. I have a life and a job. I shouldn’t have to learn a game, because I’m not a nerd.”

this kind of mentality is just as disrespectful as players who insist on raising a bar when they want to run dungeons. Players should not be rewarded for attempting a dungeon under-prepared or under-geared. AC is known for being one of the harder dungeons in the game in spite of being lv 30ish. It’s design is generally poor as it is because of this.

A full team of lv 80’s struggles with AC in certain areas, especially that one zone where you have to protect the engineer while she repairs siege equipment. the ghosts spawned there are too numerous and have way too much damage and HP for undergeared players to deal with comfortably.

A player who has taken the time and effort to hit lv 80 and gear themselves properly should, by any means, be entitled to having an advantage in dungeons. That’s not being selfish, that’s being efficient. They have already completed the content that players are expected to work towards, and as a result they are stronger.

Also, vertical progression has been a staple of mmo’s for years and has never been an issue until the current insurgence of casual gamers in the past few years. The “I want it now” crowd now rules gaming as a whole with an iron fist, and we see many modern games forced to adhere to this model in order to stay financially competitive.

If the people who enjoy vertical progression are ‘locusts’, then the casual players who don’t want vertical progression are ‘piranhas’. They will sit in a stagnant pond, a large legion of majority gamers, and instantly shred any new material that breaches the water’s surface. Unfortunately, this also means that nobody can set foot in the pond, new fish will never thrive there, animals can’t pass through, and the whole thing just stays stagnant forever.

It’s very much a matter of old school vs new school, east vs west, hardcore vs casual and so on so forth. Striking a balancing act on that is nearly impossible, but I simply cannot stand the idea of all mmo’s becoming stagnant horizontal progression in the future. that’s like the fabled GW2 manifesto being soiled, except for an entire genre’s legacy.

(edited by Lifelike.5862)

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Tenshi.3598

Tenshi.3598

@OP: Seeing as you reference TES, we’ll find out in maybe a year… I am extremely interested to see what the approach will be since it seems an impossible mission to me.

Leaving that idea aside, there are many things that could be done. Taking GW2 and legendaries as ultimate gear, I’d wish ideally wish the following:

Legendaries aren’t just top dog. They’re a status symbol. But more so, especially the weapons, they should be part of your identity. In fantasy settings at least, high class weapons get their own names, linked to the person bearing it. That’s how personal it is. Giving your legendary a nickname (just visible, say as an inscription) would be fun, but I’d think something else:
Take Greatswords. You could have various legendary greatswords, with different backgrounds. One crafted from (far too much) gold, one for the grinder, one for the mass slayer, one for WvW, one for the explorer, one for the challenge seeker, one for the completionist, etcetera. And please add one that’s absolutely ludicrous (requiring you to kill 10,000 chickens, do all sorts of minigames, get killed by a rabbit, take 1 million falling damage in one hit, and do all that while you’re intoxicated :P).
For bonus points, allow these to be upgraded (for even better looks) so that people can tell by your weapon that you are really dedicated. The highest tier should tell everyone that you have absolutely no life.

For one, this would mean that whatever your style is, you’ll be working towards a legendary. More so, people can look at you and see instantly what kind of player you are: your looks tell your story. Of course you’d want some variants, but the idea’s there.

Oh well, back to tyr…earth :P

This Glade has thorns…and here they are!

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Aenigmo.1754

Aenigmo.1754

I don’t believe there is a ‘perfect’ MMORPG.

There are MMO’s that are ideal for different subsets of the greater gaming population but for the most part, no single game will ever cater perfectly to everyone’s needs/desires. This is where GW2 and its developers have erred…they boasted a game that you could ‘play your way’ yet ultimately offered a product that you could play the way you wanted within the very limited parameters of their tunnelized vision.

There are plenty of games out there…both single player and multi-player on many different scales. The best gaming experience you can have is the one where you ‘play your way’ by choosing the titles that resonate with you and enjoying them to the extent that you wish.

With so many quality, F2P and low-cost options out there these days, you’re almost doing yourself a disservice by going ‘all-in’ on one title anyways.

Sincerely,

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Apathy.6430

Apathy.6430

It’s also sad when the casual player thinks they deserve more for being lazy or impatient.

Nobody is asking for doing more for less, I don’t think. I think they are asking for more to not equal more.

One problem with vertical progression in games is that it obsoletes content. The difference between 35 with blues and 80 with exotics in AC Explorable is staggering to say the least. A fully geared group of 80s can blow through any of the paths in minutes, obsoleting content besides farming gold or whatever.

A good chunk of the player base in this game is coming from GW1. In Guild Wars, no matter how many thousands of hours you spent farming to get the millions of gold required to by FoW armor, Gates of Madness in Hard Mode was still hard. Exactly the same difficulty as if you had bought a fresh set of level 20 armor for 5k gold.

Regardless of what you may want to claim, those GW players aren’t wrong to want the same system. GW did exceedingly well compared to most other MMOs since…well since WoW.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Alastar.2863

Alastar.2863

Now, outside of ascended gear and the Fractals of the mists, what grind REQUIRED grind is there? I am just a little lost in regards to what people are considering a grind in THIS game, and I personally don’t feel a grind that is required to compete at the present time.

Just asking for clarification.

The perfect MMORPG.

Apathy.6430

Now, outside of ascended gear and the Fractals of the mists, what grind REQUIRED grind is there? I am just a little lost in regards to what people are considering a grind in THIS game, and I personally don’t feel a grind that is required to compete at the present time.

…what?

Your post is basically “besides this new grindy thing they added to the game, where is the grind people are complaining about?”

Really?

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Alastar.2863

Alastar.2863

…what?

Your post is basically “besides this new grindy thing they added to the game, where is the grind people are complaining about?”

Really?

I said REQUIRED grind, you don’t need the ascended gear if you don’t want it outside of that ONE dungeon itself past a certain point, plus its not a grind in comparison to other mmo’s, which often takes months to aquire ONE item. Here I have heard an average of 5 hours until they acquire the items they need.

Any other “grind” I hear is never elaborated on, people just say “this game is a Grind!” What part?

The perfect MMORPG.

Apathy.6430

I said REQUIRED grind, you don’t need the ascended gear if you don’t want it outside of that ONE dungeon itself past a certain point

For now.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Eurosdown.6072

Eurosdown.6072

The closest game to “perfect” that I can think of is EVE, but of course some people prefer fantasy to scifi, or theme park to sandbox. EVE is still the best though.

The perfect MMORPG.

Apathy.6430

The closest game to “perfect” that I can think of is EVE, but of course some people prefer fantasy to scifi, or theme park to sandbox. EVE is still the best though.

EVE does have a lot of redeeming qualities that just don’t exist in other MMOs.

But it also lacks in a lot of other areas. The only part of the game I can get into is mining. But then to get past the standard frigate you need to join a mining corporation that hauls the ore you mine, which requires all of the horrible things of raiding such as setting up time and being required to be there, etc etc.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

we all agree gw2 is no revolution.

its just a perfection of what was there before, like a meltin pot of the best things we saw so far.

imo, an mmo revolution will definitely need very deep dynamic mechanism and obviously, very important, player generated content.
you have to be able to alter the world in a much bigger way, like in a society.

right now, mmos are very “self centered” and not online worlds as they pretend to be.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

we all agree gw2 is no revolution.

its just a perfection of what was there before, like a meltin pot of the best things we saw so far.

Well except the part where they drop the genius idea “no vertical progression” from GW1 along with the “most parts of world is as rewarding as any other cause nearly everything is level max content thus ensuring practically no part of the world becomes obsolete”.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Eurosdown.6072

Eurosdown.6072

EVE does have a lot of redeeming qualities that just don’t exist in other MMOs.

But it also lacks in a lot of other areas. The only part of the game I can get into is mining. But then to get past the standard frigate you need to join a mining corporation that hauls the ore you mine, which requires all of the horrible things of raiding such as setting up time and being required to be there, etc etc.

I think teamwork and logistics are part of the point. I mean, yes some stuff should be able to be done solo, but an MMO isn’t an MMO without player cooperation/competition, and this is where EVE is head and shoulders above most games: the scope of what you can accomplish with a driven group of players.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

EVE also does a job at keeping all maps in it’s galaxy/universe map relevant.

The perfect MMORPG.

EVE, is indeed the most revolutionary mmo on the market, and its like 8y old…

seems like no big studio is willing to risk making something innovative and different;

for whatever reason; i say; watch out Blizzards Titan. this probably will be the next big thing as Blizzard (like them or not) are capable of innovation.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Nabbis.5784

Nabbis.5784

seems like no big studio is willing to risk making something innovative and different;

for whatever reason; i say; watch out Blizzards Titan. this probably will be the next big thing as Blizzard (like them or not) are capable of innovation.

Blizzard was capable of innovation but i seriosly doubt that they can do anything new anymore. Dioblo 3 was a failure in everything but sales and WoW just keeps refining the same thing over the years. I dont personally like it when people say that a “company” is innovative based on a decade old experience. Everything depends on wether its the same people running/developing the show and even then theres no guarante.

The perfect MMORPG.

the difficulty is in finding the right spot between “balance and progression”.

how much more powerfull should a character be if he played 10 times as more as another character ? 10 times ?

or the game is entirely skill based, like a classic shooter.
but then how do you implement progression ?
and in a rpg, people usually want the “from zero to hero” feeling.

its quite tricky actually…
and the solution can t be simple.
thats one thing.

then there is the grind, what to do to alleviate the “grind”.
nowadays, with google, not a lot of content can ever be too hard.
so how do you limit progression?
like EvE ? learning skills at a real world time speed ?

so all in all, GW2 isnt that bad.
its nothing revolutionary, but they made the curve very very smooth.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

Eve is a battleship simulator. Never saw anything revolutionary about it. Its an accountant’s dream, my friend who is a CPA spent hours on that game just making spreadsheets for all his future battleship costs.

The perfect MMORPG.

the revolutionary thing is that you can be something in the world.

you can work for other players! aint that crazy.

andany players are chosen for their speciality.

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

the revolutionary thing is that you can be something in the world.

you can work for other players! aint that crazy.

andany players are chosen for their speciality.

Shadowbane did that and with less itemization and simulation. You could use tactics like psychological warfare and true spies in that game.

The perfect MMORPG.

sounds interesting.
id like to play a major production as mature as that.

but probably the player base is too low for this kind of game to be profitable?
there is always the different ages, maturity and languages of all players involved.
i understand the difficulties in designing such games.

in that regard, GW2 did a good job at upgrading the old EQ style.

but its no revolution

The perfect MMORPG.

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

(Incoming opinion from – Jordan.6157)

I think alot of people are misunderstanding my original post. I said that people’s most fav part was gear and honestly I don’t take that back. But my whole post was to try and show how removing the grind to spam dungeons and replace is with well made content (which is currently is, almost, opinions) and reward people once they venture through this well made content. If it was fun then people choose to do it again rather than being drawn back just because of the lovely gear they can get in the future.

That’s where I brought into single player RPGs like skyrim and fable. Because they do this method. They bring in a cool cave, gauntlet, arena event where you take on an amazing adventure and conquer beasts of different difficulties and you are rewarded for how well you do (fable)/ if you complete it/ if you did it under this certain time (fable). But these games don’t really give you a replay option because it’s single player. But thats what an MMO would have to do, allow replay. Just like they do now but with less…. grind. I hope you understand and don’t take my opinion the wrong way such as : “you just want gear for free you lazy bum” because that is not what I am talking about. Working and earning it should be in completing it. Smashing through the challenging, fun content is “working and earning it”. Not repeating it over and over. That is really the worst way to work and earn it.

I am not saying for them to release new content every day/week/month but rather.. make content that is soo much fun that, well you “want” to replay it.

Then there is WvWvW in the background, spvp, tpvp, events, orr, and all other replay stuff. Just… take a note out of successful RPG’s books rather than MMORPG’s because that is really where all MMO’s are common and unoriginal. With their very drawn out repeat system. The only way other MMOs actually do it better than gw2 is that the currency isn’t dungeon specific. That is just another issue.