The perfect events

The perfect events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Hey everyone,

I’m sure everyone has seen threads about how the latest update made things to simple and seemed like it’s dumbing the game down. There are several events that I think should be the benchmark for events in terms of difficulty. People want a challenging game and not something so simple you can play with one hand. If your defeated, you should say “What could I do differently?” and attempt again. You shouldn’t be discouraged from retrying, and, I feel, these events do just that.

Go play any of the Mordrem events in Iron marches. These are the perfect difficulty, and every other event should aspire to be these difficult. They’re not punishing, and they’re certainly not easy either. The rewards for these Mordrem events are pretty lackluster in comparison to the easier events around though. Whereas the Branded events in Iron marches are faceroll easy (Defeat Victurus and his Branded army).

Great difficult examples include:
-Rescue the captured workers.
-[Group Event]Defeat the Mordrem Champion. (The thrasher that is immune to damage while you’re poisoned.)

Thoughts?
Should they raise event difficulty, especially as you progress in the game?
Other events you thought a perfect balance of difficult and fun?

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

(edited by UnitedChaos.8364)

The perfect events

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Hey everyone,

I’m sure everyone has seen threads about how the latest update made things to simple and seemed like it’s dumbing the game down. There are several events that I think should be the benchmark for events in terms of difficulty. People want a challenging game and not something so simple you can play with one hand. If your defeated, you should say “What could I do differently?” and attempt again. You shouldn’t be discouraged from retrying, and, I feel, these events do just that.

Go play any of the Mordrem events in Iron marches. These are the perfect difficulty, and every other event should aspire to be these difficult. They’re not punishing, and they’re certainly not easy either.

Great examples include:
-Rescue the captured workers.
-[Group Event]Defeat the Mordrem Champion. (The thrasher that is immune to damage while you’re poisoned.)

Thoughts?
Should they raise event difficulty, especially as you progress in the game?
Other events you thought a perfect balance of difficult and fun?

The normal mordrem vile leechers aren’t that bad of an enemy design since their underground vine attack can be interrupted through crowd control. My issue with the design is that there are no “back-up” attacks that are just as unique as their main attack mechanic.

So what does this have to do with the champion mordrem vile leecher from the event? Well, it’s because that’s the big attack for that champ and many players seem to fail at grasping that you can interrupt it with crowd control. Then again, there are other strategies, but interrupting, to me, is the most straightforward tactic. Then yet, since it’s a champion, it will become buffed with defiant which, to me, is the main problem with interruption since large zergs won’t pay attention.

As for event difficulty, I’d say they are far from perfect. The worker rescue event causes players to become trapped in vines far too often and the veteran mordrem wolf has the mind boggling permanent stability and retaliation boons.

A personal example: I completed the worker rescue event across a mesmer, ranger, and engineer. All three were trapped by the vines twice in a row (after breaking out of the first vine) without a chance to dodge out of the way. My characters were then downed and killed by the two mordrem wolves and three tentacle vines that were flinging projectiles at them. While the mechanics definitely make you think a bit and require a more different approach than most of the other events, they still have room for improvement.

The perfect events

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think you need a range of events. Take the toxic spore events. Most of the time they don’t get done. That’s because many people like faceroll content.

When warrior was the flavor of the month, lots of people rolled it, even though it was for the most part faceroll. I found it boring.

But I think that if you make all the events more difficult, the game will lose a lot of players.

There needs to be a range of events for all players, not just events that cater to one type or another.

If people didn’t like face roll events, there would’ve been no Queensdale champ train.

The perfect events

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Toxic events are also considerably more difficult than launch events. People mostly avoid them now in favor of running around doing Champ trains or chain events in massive herds where the only challenge is getting enough mob tags in before the mobs melt. The statement, “People want a challenging game and not something so simple you can play with one hand.” should be rephrased to say, “People in general want rewards, but I and some players like me want a more challenging game.”

Once people get all the rewards they want from the new events, Dry Top will be like SSC, with only a few people going there unless there’s a world boss event.