The probelm with loot in the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

What do you mean the problem. There are several problems with loot.

Inventory Wars 2, Container Wars 2, Sigil Wars 2, and you can probably name 10 more you’ve heard recently.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Weird, I distinctly remember farming for years in gw1, for items linked to specific areas or mobs, and not getting the drop. Hundreds of hours, no luck.

Funny bit of trivia, “almost impossible,” means, “not impossible.”

Then it dropped in a to big area (so to many mobs dropping it) or from an mob that people farmed or ArenaNet wanted the item to be so extremely exclusive meaning buying it with gold would also be also close to impossible.

Obviously a developer can make the drop-rate as low as they want, making it close to impossible to get it. But when making the currency vs direct drop-rate comparison you can argue with me as much as you want, you are really arguing with math.

Devata.6589

You might be like ‘Well I never got precursor x to drop but I was ably to earn the money to buy it so this proofs the extreme low drop-rates.’ However then you forget an essential element of what I said. Having it drop from specific places. When every mob can drop item x, to keep item y exclusive the droprate has to be extremeley low, yes so low that it is likely that you never get it. But if only 1 mob or one group of mobs drops it, the drop-rate can be much higher while keeping the same level of exclusivity, and then the comparising to currency does go up and never getting it is statistically close to impossible.

Your approach is not going to work in GW2. If a rare and valuable item were to be available from a specific mob, with much better drop rates, players would farm the heck out of the mob. Since a lot of players are going to get kill credit, the drop rate would still need to be much lower than on other games in which a limited number of players (often just one, at most a party of X) gets a chance at the drop.

In addition, items dropping from specific mobs are going to generate farm groups, who will jealously protect their perceived “right” to kill the same mob over, and over and over. It’s happened every time a new specific area farm came to the fore in GW2. Every time, ANet had to step in and nerf the farm because people were chat-fighting over it.

For the record, I’ve never gotten a precursor drop. However, I wasn’t talking about this game when I said I could cite several examples of never getting an item that dropped from a specific source. Those examples would all be from other MMO’s which use the system you’ve put on a pedestal.

“Your approach is not going to work in GW2. If a rare and valuable item were to be available from a specific mob, with much better drop rates, players would farm the heck out of the mob. Since a lot of players are going to get kill credit, the drop rate would still need to be much lower than on other games in which a limited number of players (often just one, at most a party of X) gets a chance at the drop.”

This is exactly why it only works if you implement it everywhere. Not just in a few places. Also something I mentioned many times before. Indeed, when there is one ‘good’ item that drops from one mob this will happen and the value of that item will then drop making the currency approach the best again.

Now imagine this being implemented for almost all items all over the game. People can then still try to farm a mob, but what for? The item they want to buy with the cash is also available in a similar way and the amount of farming for the item they do not want (to then sell it to get money to buy the item they do want) will be more than the needed farming for the item they do want (because the lost you make on a sale).

Would people still decide to farm one mob for an item, then that items devaluates so farming it become not useful anymore. Farming (together) would not be efficient anymore. It changes the complete behavior. The behavior people now use in GW2 would not be efficient anymore and so people would be less likely to do it. Overall resulting in a better loot-system. Just look at the first two pages of the forum how many post there are currently about people complaining about loot.

This is why from the beginning of the game I talked about this and why I always think the cash-shop approach is bad (because it results in the current approach). The big question is, how big the impact is. In my opinion it’s huge because this is the sort of things that get people bored overtime, and no matter how great the rest of the game is, if people get bored they leave.

Posted by: revox.8273

revox.8273

What do you mean the problem. There are several problems with loot.

Inventory Wars 2, Container Wars 2, Sigil Wars 2, and you can probably name 10 more you’ve heard recently.

this

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Yep. I mention breaking drops down for mats a few posts up in this thread.

And please leave my snipples out of it ; )

my point is that high mat count for recipes are directly linked to lots of junk items.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Weird, I distinctly remember farming for years in gw1, for items linked to specific areas or mobs, and not getting the drop. Hundreds of hours, no luck.

Then it dropped in a to big area (so to many mobs dropping it) or from an mob that people farmed or ArenaNet wanted the item to be so extremely exclusive meaning buying it with gold would also be also close to impossible.

Obviously a developer can make the drop-rate as low as they want, making it close to impossible to get it. But when making the currency vs direct drop-rate comparison you can argue with me as much as you want, you are really arguing with math.

So, in other words, even in a game without a cash shop focus or currency related item acquisition, items can be “almost impossible to get,” even if farmed for directly. And your claim to tbe contrary was inaccurate.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

“Your approach is not going to work in GW2. If a rare and valuable item were to be available from a specific mob, with much better drop rates, players would farm the heck out of the mob. Since a lot of players are going to get kill credit, the drop rate would still need to be much lower than on other games in which a limited number of players (often just one, at most a party of X) gets a chance at the drop.”

This is exactly why it only works if you implement it everywhere. Not just in a few places. Also something I mentioned many times before. Indeed, when there is one ‘good’ item that drops from one mob this will happen and the value of that item will then drop making the currency approach the best again.

Now imagine this being implemented for almost all items all over the game. People can then still try to farm a mob, but what for? The item they want to buy with the cash is also available in a similar way and the amount of farming for the item they do not want (to then sell it to get money to buy the item they do want) will be more than the needed farming for the item they do want (because the lost you make on a sale).

Would people still decide to farm one mob for an item, then that items devaluates so farming it become not useful anymore. Farming (together) would not be efficient anymore. It changes the complete behavior. The behavior people now use in GW2 would not be efficient anymore and so people would be less likely to do it. Overall resulting in a better loot-system. Just look at the first two pages of the forum how many post there are currently about people complaining about loot.

This is why from the beginning of the game I talked about this and why I always think the cash-shop approach is bad (because it results in the current approach). The big question is, how big the impact is. In my opinion it’s huge because this is the sort of things that get people bored overtime, and no matter how great the rest of the game is, if people get bored they leave.

An “everywhere” approach is no less likely to fail. Some items are going to see greater demand than others based on community “consensus” on what’s hot and what’s not. Also, developers do not add in new stuff everywhere at once, they add a few pieces at a time. New items will be tend to be in greater demand. So, yes, people will farm one mob, or a few mobs rather than your idealized vision of people spreading out all over the various maps.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

yall are getting distracted by great drops versus crappy drops.

regardless of what drops, there is too much item/inventory management you literally have to spend like 15-30 minutes cleaning up full bags.

open all these containers
salvage all this
consume all luck
keep all that
npc all that
tp all that
put this in bank

Its a big hassle

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Some have suggested that we need to see all this loot we get in order to feel some sense of satisfaction. Personally, I’d be satisfied if all my luck was auto-consumed, all rares and below auto-salvaged, auto-deposited and auto-compacted. I’m perfectly happy seeing the loot flash by on the right side of the screen.

Edit: And I’ve suggested as much in the QoL suggestions thread, before anyone suggests it.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Would you be happier if the entire game was automatically played for you, as you seem to dislike the hassle of moving a mouse around and pushing buttons.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

regardless of what drops, there is too much item/inventory management you literally have to spend like 15-30 minutes cleaning up full bags.

salvage all this
consume all luck
keep all that
npc all that
tp all that
put this in bank

Its a big hassle

What’s the alternative? bigger value items that drop less often? more stuff that you have to deal with sooner? I like the current system because I don’t have to spend 15 minutes per farming, it takes me maybe 20 seconds of maintenance per farm and then maybe once a week, I’ll spend 5+ minutes moving a few things around. When I collect enough boxes, I’ll open those en masse and that might take me 15-20 minutes, but that doesn’t happen that often.

There’s not a single game I’ve played that doesn’t involve inventory management; GW2’s is at least relatively simple. Sure, I’d prefer it was easier instead, but that doesn’t mean it’s as onerous as suggested above.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Some have suggested that we need to see all this loot we get in order to feel some sense of satisfaction. Personally, I’d be satisfied if all my luck was auto-consumed, all rares and below auto-salvaged, auto-deposited and auto-compacted. I’m perfectly happy seeing the loot flash by on the right side of the screen.

Edit: And I’ve suggested as much in the QoL suggestions thread, before anyone suggests it.

There is actualy a genre that works like that sounds like clicker games would be right up your alley.

Devata.6589

An “everywhere” approach is no less likely to fail. Some items are going to see greater demand than others based on community “consensus” on what’s hot and what’s not. Also, developers do not add in new stuff everywhere at once, they add a few pieces at a time. New items will be tend to be in greater demand. So, yes, people will farm one mob, or a few mobs rather than your idealized vision of people spreading out all over the various maps.

“Some items are going to see greater demand than others based on community “consensus” on what’s hot and what’s not." Yes, but that does not change anything. It’s completely unrelated.
If more people want it the price can go up, if more people would farm it the price would go down.

That is supply and demand determines the price. This holds true for all items in the game. This does not change anything about how grinding would be the best way to get anything.

If getting all the items would work in this same way it still holds true that grinding some currency would not become the best way to get everything.

Let’s say there are two items in the game with a drop-rate of 1/5 (just as an example). More people want item 1, so the price on the TP does go up (High demand). How would grinding currency (so farming item 2, to sell it, to then buy item 1) become the most efficient way? Now you might need to get item 2 twice (so on average do that content 10 times) to have the money to get item 1. However, you could also get item 1 by doing that content 5 times. So the direct approach is the best.

However in that case getting item 2 would be more efficient by going for item 1 (do the content 5 times, get the item, sell it buy item 2 and still have some gold extra. So grinding currency). Because of that some people will go for that approach. This however means Item 1 gets better available on the TP, decreasing the price again. And that is how the economy will keep itself stable and the direct approach will mostly be the most efficient (because of sell fees).

Adding in items one by one does also not change anything (as long as everything that is in, already is implemented like this) because you get the same result. One new item gets added so everybody wants it. This means it becomes expensive so the direct approach is best. Then people start farming (to sell) it because it’s good value but because of that within no-time the TP is flooded enough for the price to be dropped so farming it loses its usefulness and within no-time the item is on a stable price-level again.

Devata.6589

salvage all this
consume all luck
keep all that
npc all that
tp all that
put this in bank

Its a big hassle

That is completely true and one of the reasons I don’t really play even when I log in. My bags are full and I still have a list of chest in the right lower corner flashing to be opened. Starting to play would mean I first had to start cleaning my bags.

However, this was not always the case. What imo happened is that from an early point on people complained about loot. However instead on really addressing the true issue behind the ‘lackluster loot’ they ‘fixed’ it by adding in more loot and loot bags and daily reward chest and so on. So people get flooded with loot. Of course that did not fix the issue and only created a new one, the one you talk about here.

Also needing 1000 of x mats to create 1 item while you can only stack 250 of the same mats is an issue. That should never have been designed this way. However instead of fixing that they decided to sell the ability to expand that number.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

we need more gold sinks coz the inflation is obvious. (like dusk selling 100g before and gem to gold ratio was 100 gems = 3 gold)

Gem to Gold Exchange rate is driven solely by the imbalance between selling gold for gems and buying gold with gems. As long as more gems are being bought from the exchange Vs being sold to it, the exchange rate will go up. Therefore it’s not a good indication of inflation.

As a side note, the exchange has a much steeper gold sink than the TP.

Now the 100g Dusk, which was during the first month of the game when the amount of gold in game among all the players was very low, is a bit of a cherry pick. It was over 350 gold by the first Halloween event which was less than a month later. Also since HoT with precursor crafting, the price has dropped from it’s peak of 1900 gold to 800 gold today. However at the root of it, the game’s “luxury” items aren’t a good measure of inflation either. The price of a basket of raw mats used in the crafting of gear is a better choice to track inflation.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

There are many things I dislike about GW2 when compared to other MMOs I enjoy (TSWL, BDO…) … But inventory and loot is NOT one of them.

If you’ve played any other MMO like TERA or one of those I mentioned above, you’ll see looting is a nightmare. You get something “good” only to find out it’s trash, but you can’t salvage it yet because it might be useful later on when you try to use it for one of the hundreds of aviable confusing resource management micro systems that are required in order to get into the endgame.

You get full stacks of things you can’t even bank but you NEED to keep…

In GW2 loot might not be “exciting”, but heck at least I know easily what is trash and what isn’t and I can make piles of gold with both. Plus, even bags can drop precursors and/or ascended so even if extremely rare, there’s always the chance… or even exotic weapon/armor skins, which is good.

I don’t see anything exciting on getting generic random stat combination number 47 from my 2 hours of mob farming for a specific piece of gear that will have to be improved anyways. GW2 does nothing wrong in looting aspect…

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

salvage all this
consume all luck
keep all that
npc all that
tp all that
put this in bank

Its a big hassle

Are you exaggerating or does it really take you that long? My three mains have the max amount of bag slots you can buy, all with 20 slot bags. When my inventory fills up it only takes me three or four minutes to handle all of what you have above.

Posted by: Clear Black.9206

Clear Black.9206

There’s nothing exciting about it.

Regular, fine, masterwork, and rare equipment merits as trash to be salvaged, and mostly everything can be crafted or bought with some sort of currency. Face it, the only decent loot in this game comes that can’t be bought with gold are crafting materials or items you grind for (e.g. ascended items bought using map specific tokens) or skins. Bag slots are used to hold the sheer amount of garbage loot so you can play without hitting the NPC. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

I propose to reconcile the equipment / sigils / runes in this game.

• Any equipment masterwork or below has no business in this game. Delete them and make rare equipment the standard (but don’t call it rare).
  • Delete minor and major sigils and runes. and remove the level /rarity requirements of superior runes and sigils.
  • Add exotic equipement / ascended equipement / legendary equipment / superior sigil drops that are untradeable and have something unique about them. Like a piece of equipment that only has one stat, or have an uncommon ability (e.g. increased damage vs a certain pve mob – by the way, those sigils should be deleted as well)

Hate to burst your bubble son, but the game is 5 years old now. They arent going to put this much effort into redesigning the way the loot system works just make a few people happy. I think most are fine with it.

Devata.6589

So, in other words, even in a game without a cash shop focus or currency related item acquisition, items can be “almost impossible to get,” even if farmed for directly. And your claim to tbe contrary was inaccurate.

No, what you do is changing the context or the conditions to try and make your point. Like I said, yes obviously a developer can make items having such a low-drop that the probability of anybody getting it is close to none. That is so common sense I should not have to explain that. But that is beside the point.

What I however was doing was comparing two systems, but obiously within the same context or with the same conditions. So the current (currency) system where item X has a price of Y (what is based on things like supply and demand) and the system where it’s less based on currency but items drop from specific places. Still however having the same supply and demand obviously. Else you can’t compair it.

In your example you change the supply (drop-rate) to proof that it’s still possible to get an item to be almost impossible to get.

What I wonder, do you really don’t get it or do you just not want to get it?

Let me give one example just in case you really don’t get it.
Anet wishes an item to have a specific rarity (let’s name that rarity Z). They have the item X drop from 100 mobs and give it a drop-rate of 1/10000 to get rarity Z. Farming directly for this item would already be a real pain (not impossible but a huge pain). And if Anet does that with many items, randomly farming to get currency (by getting items you are not interested in to sell and buy the ones you do want) would likely be the best option. Understand that Z is a huge factor for the price Y.

Now same condition, so Z still needs to be Z but the system where it drops from 1 mob instead of 100. Now the drop-rate can be 1/100 to still keep Z. So you get from a system where directly going from the item is a huge pain to a system where directly farming is a very doable option within the same conditions Z.

Going back to what you do, changing Z so much that it is almost impossible to get it even if drops from just one mob (lets say 1 mob droprate 1/100000000). Great you proven that is possible, however with these new conditions it is also close to impossible to get the item with the currency approach because the amount of Z would be to expensive for almost anybody… and that is if it even is available on the TP.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

drops should by only materials (salvages), no hammer or heavy armor drop from a rat…

imo is the only thing that needs to be adressed int this topic.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

drops should by only materials (salvages), no hammer or heavy armor drop from a rat…

I like getting hammers from rats. I’m sorry that you don’t.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

IndigoSundown.5419

In your example you change the supply (drop-rate) to proof that it’s still possible to get an item to be almost impossible to get.

What I wonder, do you really don’t get it or do you just not want to get it?

If anyone is having trouble getting it, it’s you. Ashen is basing his comments on existing games. You aren’t. Higher drop rates in MMO’s are a pipe dream, with exceptions.

Provide an example of an MMO where the developer uses the reward system you propose, with items dropping from various mobs and with reasonable drop rates and which does so in the open world. Dungeon/Raid bosses have very limited drop tables and always drop something, so content longevity comes from time gates and competition with other group members. Even so, it’s possible to never get a specific drop even in such circumstances. It’s happened to me, several times, and I’ve seen it happen to others.

So, yes, your proposed reward system does not exist in MMO’s. It’s unlikely it will ever be adopted in an MMO.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There is actually a genre that works like that sounds like clicker games would be right up your alley.

I’m genuinely mystified by this reply. I mean, I just don’t know if it’s meant to be helpful, comedic or sarcastic. I’m fine with any of those. I just don’t know which you’re going for.

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

Who doesn’t love having to transfer bags inside of boxes inside of chests to your low level characters to open for low level gear and to salvage with a cash shop item.

Call me old fashioned but I miss gold drops, especially those from dungeon bosses.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Who doesn’t love having to transfer bags inside of boxes inside of chests to your low level characters to open for low level gear and to salvage with a cash shop item.

Meh, I never bother with that. Way too much work for too little gain. That’s something for people who enjoy min-maxing, and they can gladly profit from it.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

There is actually a genre that works like that sounds like clicker games would be right up your alley.

I’m genuinely mystified by this reply. I mean, I just don’t know if it’s meant to be helpful, comedic or sarcastic. I’m fine with any of those. I just don’t know which you’re going for.

Oh mate wasent suposed to be helpful depending on your mood its either comedic or sarcastic tho

Just sounded on your earlier post that you just want everything automated so you dont have to clean bags at all and from my experience clickers are as automated as they come hehe.

Devata.6589

Provide an example of an MMO where the developer uses the reward system you propose, with items dropping from various mobs and with reasonable drop rates and which does so in the open world.

Most known example would be WoW, but it’s in many mmo’s implementd like that.
In that game, collecting items (skins, or mini’s) was mostly done by quests, crafting or these type of drops.

There where some items that you where best of buying but also items you could also just get by going for a specific mob. There is a db where you can find drop-rates online and so see this approach very clear.
For example :
This item: ‘Schematic: Parachute Cloak’ drops from many places and so with very low droprates (0,0 (rounded) to 0,13% droprate depending on the mob) so you are better of just buying it. See: http://www.wowhead.com/item=10606/schematic-parachute-cloak

But there is also the mini Ice Chip that only drops from 3 mobs and so has a much higher droprate. (4 to 7%) source: http://www.wowhead.com/item=142088/stormforged-rune
That is inside a dungeon, I never said it should not be.

For you a true open world example (because you asked):
Azure Crane Chick
Drops from one type of mob (it’s an egg spawn not a true mob) in one area in the open world. Has a droprate of about 3%.
source: http://www.wowhead.com/item=104157/azure-crane-chick

Last example:
Spawn of G’nathus

Drops from one type of mob that has 3 spawns. Droprate is 92%
Source: http://www.wowhead.com/item=94595/spawn-of-gnathus

Hope this example makes it clear for you.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Hate to burst your bubble son, but the game is 5 years old now. They arent going to put this much effort into redesigning the way the loot system works just make a few people happy. I think most are fine with it.

Well, never to give up hope! DAoC reworked it’s Necromancer entirely what? 16 years down the line?

Though to be fair, problematic as the old design was, I liked it conceptually.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Thats been tried…. and it didn’t work out nearly as well as you’d think. After EC did a thing about it when Firefall was still a new thing. The JC Penny discussion comes up frequently whenever this topic is brought up; and the psychology around it is just staggering. It makes me lose faith in the reasoning powers of an average consumer.

IndigoSundown.5419

Provide an example of an MMO where the developer uses the reward system you propose, with items dropping from various mobs and with reasonable drop rates and which does so in the open world.

In that game, collecting items (skins, or mini’s) was mostly done by quests, crafting or these type of drops.

There where some items that you where best of buying but also items you could also just get by going for a specific mob. There is a db where you can find drop-rates online and so see this approach very clear.
For example :
This item: ‘Schematic: Parachute Cloak’ drops from many places and so with very low droprates (0,0 (rounded) to 0,13% droprate depending on the mob) so you are better of just buying it. See: http://www.wowhead.com/item=10606/schematic-parachute-cloak

But there is also the mini Ice Chip that only drops from 3 mobs and so has a much higher droprate. (4 to 7%) source: http://www.wowhead.com/item=142088/stormforged-rune

Azure Crane Chick
Drops from one type of mob (it’s an egg spawn not a true mob) in one area in the open world. Has a droprate of about 3%.

Last example:
Spawn of G’nathus

So, for some items the system works as you say. What I find ironic is that most of the examples of people (myself and others) not getting items they wanted despite many attempts come from WoW.

Devata.6589

For example :

Azure Crane Chick

Last example:
Spawn of G’nathus

So, for some items the system works as you say. What I find ironic is that most of the examples of people (myself and others) not getting items they wanted despite many attempts come from WoW.

That is probably because the developer has some items it wants to be truly rare in the game. But that is a design choice that is separated from the system for distributing rewards. GW2 could also put items in the game that are so hard to get that only a few people in Tyria will be able to get it.

I think on release GW2 did have a few of those items, Infinite Light comes to mind. Since then many of the required resources have become better available (or less demanded) making those items better available. And they did not put any of such new items in.