The problem with people demanding zerker

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

The problem is NOT that people demand zerker gear for Dungeon runs. They are perfectly allowed to want to run with only certain builds.

The problem is that Anet sees it as a problem.

There was absolutely no need to eliminate MF. Players who demand to run with full zerker gear already had a solution: they simply didn’t allow players with non-zerker gear to run with them. There’s tons and tons of people who don’t demand zerker gear so you could always find another group. Problem solved, no other action required.

When Anet sees some aspect of the game that a minority of players but very vocal minority complain about, they change the entire freakin game on ALL players.That is the recipe for failure we keep seeing.

There’s absolutely no need to change the entire game to appease people who strictly PvP, or who do Dungeons, or who do Fractals, or who strictly do WvW (and the last thing you should be wearing in WvW is full zerker gear).

But instead of implementing changes that allow everyone to play how they like, Anet constantly forces everyone to play the way the most vocal comlpainers want to play the game.

I liked farming in PvE with heavily-statted MF gear, and once in a while I played a dungeon. When I did, I was the guy staying alive the most while I had to rez zerkers. Now I’m being told I can’t play the game the way I enjoyed because one group QQ’d a bunch. Same thing happened with my ele alt because PvP players kept QQing about how “powerful” eles were. Anet nerfed the ele until they are pretty much useless in all aspects of the game.

People are allowed to complain. But for the sake of all that is fun in this game, Anet PLEASE stop screwing the majority to appease the minority.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

People need to stop with the I had to rez zerker comment.

First of all, they have all the agro, so of course they die easier. Second of all, if you are in zerker too most trash and easier boss will die fast enough that the zerker won’t die.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Those zerkers die because while they’re doing DPS you’re sitting there leeching in your MF gear.

Good riddance to MF users in dungeons.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

They aren’t catering to a vocal minority, they’re catering to the people who don’t want to carry 2 sets of gear. That’s a majority there.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

MF Gear was just wrong. Anet realized their mistake. Account-bound mf gear will be much better, as it’ll allow you to diversify your farming experience through several characters, while having them stronger than they would be with MF gear as well.

Also, what has MF gear have anything to do with the problem with the zerker meta?

Posted by: dustinharlin.8693

dustinharlin.8693

In my opinion the real problem is that most people just want to rush through the content as fast as possible rather than sit back and enjoy it. I like that so many groups advertise that they only want people in zerker gear, it tells me who I don’t want to play with.

Although I don’t use MF gear I do agree it doesn’t need to be removed. If that’s how people want to play then by all means they should be able to.

DiogoSilva.7089

In my opinion the real problem is that most people just want to rush through the content as fast as possible rather than sit back and enjoy it. I like that so many groups advertise that they only want people in zerker gear, it tells me who I don’t want to play with.

It has nothing to do with rushing. I play with zerker gear because it’s better, but I still “sit back and enjoy it”.

There’s a large difference between people who want to “sit back and enjoy it”, and people who want to pick weak stats. I know, I know: people enjoy build diversity. So do I, especially as a big GW1 fan. But this game’s design does not treats all builds equally. So don’t blame the players for “rushing in”, blame the systems. It’s the systems and the mechanics in place that discriminate most non-zerker builds.

laokoko.7403

Although I don’t use MF gear I do agree it doesn’t need to be removed. If that’s how people want to play then by all means they should be able to.

So your point of enjoying is wiping over and over, kill monster slowly?

And the only joy of doing the same dungon over and over again(which I have done so many times) is find ways to do it more efficiently.

There is only 2 challenge for me for dungeon. One is to actually complete the dungeon, the other is do it as fast as possible.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I don’t remember seeing any zerkers complaining about MFers. It’s mostly the other way around. Zerkers are too busy clearing content to complain.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

There’s no problem with groups demanding zerker for specific things that they only want zerker for. In WvW you have guilds that require baseline (or exact) gear setups, and that’s perfectly acceptable there, so why not elsewhere in the game…?

The problem is only a problem when brainless/clueless people believe that zerker is the only possible good armor for any and all activities in PvE (or the game as a whole). That’s just ignorant and naive.

MF needed to go though. People en masse have been complaining about that garbage since (before) the game launched, and ANet already all-but said it goes against their goals for the game and they shouldn’t have put it in. It’s a broken mechanic. Why do you think the cheapest weapons and armor you can get are overwhelmingly all MF gear? People don’t want it, and those who do don’t/won’t understand why the stuff shouldn’t be a gear stat.

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

Yah I know bad guy elitist kitten me for wanting to use the most optimal build and gear…. I know I’m such a Dik right?

colesy.8490

The problem is only a problem when brainless/clueless people believe that zerker is the only possible good armor for any and all activities in PvE

It is.

The fact that you continue to refuse to accept that is … well …

dustinharlin.8693

It has nothing to do with rushing. I play with zerker gear because it’s better, but I still “sit back and enjoy it”.

There’s a large difference between people who want to “sit back and enjoy it”, and people who want to pick weak stats. I know, I know: people enjoy build diversity. So do I, especially as a big GW1 fan. But this game’s design does not treats all builds equally. So don’t blame the players for “rushing in”, blame the systems. It’s the systems and the mechanics in place that discriminate most non-zerker builds.

But the system isn’t flawed, the player’s logic is. I never run with zerker parties and I’ve done every dungeon just fine. Nothing in PvE requires zerker gear(or any other stat combo for that matter), the players do. I just hope that when they release the LFG tool that they make it as easy to see who I don’t want to play with as it is now.

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

But the system isn’t flawed, the player’s logic is. I never run with zerker parties and I’ve done every dungeon just fine. Nothing in PvE requires zerker gear(or any other stat combo for that matter), the players do. I just hope that when they release the LFG tool that they make it as easy to see who I don’t want to play with as it is now.

Oh yeah bro, there gonna have build and gear discrimination built into the LFD…….>>

colesy.8490

The problem is only a problem when brainless/clueless people believe that zerker is the only possible good armor for any and all activities in PvE

It is.

Like I said….brainless/clueless.

And yet it’s the zerkers who have done all of the number crunching proving their gear is the best while everyone else just spews “PLAY HOW YOU WANT”, you know even if it means leeching with bad gear, in the OP’s case, magic find.

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Yes, it is possible to contribute nothing to a group, get carried, and still finish a dungeon. Not all of us want to play that way, however.

dustinharlin.8693

Yes, it is possible to contribute nothing to a group, get carried, and still finish a dungeon. Not all of us want to play that way, however.

Like I said, flawed logic.

laokoko.7403

The difference is you probably complete the dungeon in an hour while another group can do it in 10 minutes.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ah yes…..

the ‘go zerker or gtfo’ mentality

or the ‘if you dont use zerker you’re just bad’ mentality

or the ‘ur gimping urself if you use anything else’ mentality

or the ‘must be completely efficient and optimal’ mentality

or the ‘must treat the game likes its a job’ mentality

not why I play. last time i checked, i didnt bother you people, and you left me the heck alone. problem solved. carry on.

Edit: Oh and btw….the speed clear time difference between all zerker and not, is generally less than 5 minutes, depending on the path and team. Big whoop…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Hickeroar.9734

It is.

And yet it’s the zerkers who have done all of the number crunching proving their gear is the best while everyone else just spews “PLAY HOW YOU WANT”, you know even if it means leeching with bad gear, in the OP’s case, magic find.

LOL. “Number crunching.” NO ONE is denying that you will deal the most damage with zerker gear. Of course you will. That doesn’t make it the best gear for every player in every situation.

Seriously, step back and look at how much of an elitist and exclusivist you’re being. Then step back and look at the population as a whole. If everyone who didn’t agree with you left the game, you’d be sitting in a wasteland of a bunch of people that very few people wanted to play with anyway.

You’re utterly and completely wrong, and it’s blatantly obvious to anyone who doesn’t carry your bias around. I have three out of my five lvl 80 characters in full zerker. I completely understand why zerker is good. I’m just not deluded enough to think that it’s the only good or worthwhile armor in the game.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

DiogoSilva.7089

But the system isn’t flawed, the player’s logic is. I never run with zerker parties and I’ve done every dungeon just fine. Nothing in PvE requires zerker gear(or any other stat combo for that matter), the players do.

Nothing requires zerker gear, you’re right. There’s a choice between going for a more optimal build or a less optimal build. There’s a choice between picking underpowered weapons and the better weapons. There’s a choice between picking bad traits and good traits.

But there’s no flaw in player’s logic here. Quite the contrary. It’s the most logical option to pick zerker gear. There’s no logical reason to do otherwise, with the exception of extra defensive stats for the players that still have some trouble surviving.

You can even go naked and do fine. But if players don’t want to pick you because you’re naked, don’t blame the players logic, because they’re doing the most logical choice.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

The problem is NOT that people demand zerker gear for Dungeon runs. They are perfectly allowed to want to run with only certain builds.

The problem is that Anet sees it as a problem.

No, in my opinion at least, the problem lies in the games inherent design.

- No healer
- No tank
- Focus on DPS
- Little control mechanics
- Little support mechanics
- Long cool downs on anything non-DPS related
- Defiant
- Unshakable
- Product of Crit + Prec + Pow is higher than Product of Tough + Vit, or Cond + Cond duration

I am not sure why the change to MF is undesirable? This makes alternate characters more appealing as MF is account bound. This makes it so that you can create a character that will kill stuff fast while also having the benefits of MF.

DiogoSilva.7089

- No healer
- No tank
- Focus on DPS
- Defiant
- Unshakable
- Product of Crit + Prec + Pow is higher than Product of Tough + Vit, or Cond + Cond duration

Exactly.

If roles were required in this game, people would pick different gear stats for each different role.

Hickeroar.9734

But the system isn’t flawed, the player’s logic is. I never run with zerker parties and I’ve done every dungeon just fine. Nothing in PvE requires zerker gear(or any other stat combo for that matter), the players do.

Nothing requires zerker gear, you’re right. There’s a choice between going for a more optimal build or a less optimal build. There’s a choice between picking underpowered weapons and the better weapons. There’s a choice between picking bad traits and good traits.

But there’s no flaw in player’s logic here. Quite the contrary. It’s the most logical option to pick zerker gear. There’s no logical reason to do otherwise, with the exception of extra defensive stats for the players that still have some trouble surviving.

You can even go naked and do fine. But if players don’t want to pick you because you’re naked, don’t blame the players logic, because they’re doing the most logical choice.

The problem is that people believe there’s a defined “good” vs “bad” in these decisions. That’s incorrect. What’s “good” for “me” and “my” goals. Might be “bad” for “you” and “your” goals. Trying to shove near-religious gear beliefs down other players throats is just ignorant and immature.

EDIT: If you are running a specific group with a specific goal, you are well within your rights to have gear/trait requirements. If you are speaking for the playerbase as a whole, you are completely outside your “rights,” and what you say bears, legitimately, zero relevance or weight. If you want speed runs and you and your buddies can all stay alive in full zerker…more power to you.

If you want to post a LFG with specific gear requirements, do it. Players without that gear will find another party. Would you rather have a full zerker who is less skilled at the game and is dying constantly? Of course you wouldn’t. Your gear makes no sense at all for that player. Wear gear that does the most damage, but NEVER at the expense of your personal survivability.

colesy.8490

It is.

LOL. “Number crunching.” NO ONE is denying that you will deal the most damage with zerker gear. Of course you will. That doesn’t make it the best gear for every player in every situation.

It is the best gear for every player in every situation, because the answer is always “more DPS” when you run in to a fight. The only reasons I can think of why someone shouldn’t use it is if they suffer bad lag or if they have some physical impediment that makes it difficult for them to roll out the way every few seconds. In any other case, you’re best off using berserker, and if you haven’t used it before to experiment in open world to get to grips with how much damage you can take.

Seriously, step back and look at how much of an elitist and exclusivist you’re being. Then step back and look at the population as a whole. If everyone who didn’t agree with you left the game, you’d be sitting in a wasteland of a bunch of people that very few people wanted to play with anyway.

If everyone who disagreed with me left the game, we would be left with all of the pvp players, all of the wvw players and pve would consist of competent and wannabe competent people. And I know this might sound crazy, but zerker players are actually friendly. I have a lot more fun bantering away with zerkers (there was even one point where three of us stopped paying attention at subject alpha, started chatting and then we wiped, but even then he had almost no hp bar left, because zerker gear) than getting annoyed at random pugs for doing things wrong, or the worst case is when they’ve never done a dungeon before but don’t state so at the beginning. I don’t mind teaching people, just make it known before we start.

You’re utterly and completely wrong, and it’s blatantly obvious to anyone who doesn’t carry your bias around. I have three out of my five lvl 80 characters in full zerker. I completely understand why zerker is good. I’m just not deluded enough to think that it’s the only good or worthwhile armor in the game.

It’s not delusion, it’s fact. Every other gear is viable because the game is so faceroll easy, but zerker is the only one that’s actually good.

DiogoSilva.7089

The problem is that people believe there’s a defined “good” vs “bad” in these decisions. That’s incorrect. What’s “good” for “me” and “my” goals. Might be “bad” for “you” and “your” goals. Trying to shove near-religious gear beliefs down other players throats is just ignorant and immature.

Defiance is a fact, not a belief.
Condition capping is a fact, not a belief.
Poor healing scale is a mathematical fact, not a belief.
Power x Precision x Critical Damage scales better than any other stat in the game, this is a mathematical fact.
Every single content can be beaten regardless of stats, this is a proven fact.
DPS gear beats content faster than with any other gear, except for players who have trouble surviving. This is a proven fact.
Roles are not required. This is intended by Anet, as they themselves have said so.

Yes, it’s your decision to pick worse stats if you want them. It’s fine, really. Each player can do whatever they want. But zerker gear is mechanically the best gear for the game at the current state, and this will only change when (if) Anet decides to change how several of the mechanics of their game works.

It’s not a near-religious gear belief, because I don’t even like it. GW2’s endgame meta is terrible, and is trashed for its dps-zerg-fest in every non-gw2 community. It’s a flaw in the game that should be fixed.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Hickeroar.9734

It is.

It is the best gear for every player in every situation, because the answer is always “more DPS” when you run in to a fight. The only reasons I can think of why someone shouldn’t use it is if they suffer bad lag or if they have some physical impediment that makes it difficult for them to roll out the way every few seconds. In any other case, you’re best off using berserker, and if you haven’t used it before to experiment in open world to get to grips with how much damage you can take.

If everyone who disagreed with me left the game, we would be left with all of the pvp players, all of the wvw players and pve would consist of competent and wannabe competent people. And I know this might sound crazy, but zerker players are actually friendly. I have a lot more fun bantering away with zerkers (there was even one point where three of us stopped paying attention at subject alpha, started chatting and then we wiped, but even then he had almost no hp bar left, because zerker gear) than getting annoyed at random pugs for doing things wrong, or the worst case is when they’ve never done a dungeon before but don’t state so at the beginning. I don’t mind teaching people, just make it known before we start.

It’s not delusion, it’s fact. Every other gear is viable because the game is so faceroll easy, but zerker is the only one that’s actually good.

Blather all you want about why you THINK it’s best. It doesn’t mean your blanket bias works for every player in every situation. You’re still wrong.

Hickeroar.9734

GW2’s endgame meta is terrible, and is trashed for its dps-zerg-fest in every non-gw2 community.

And you play it……why?

DiogoSilva.7089

GW2’s endgame meta is terrible, and is trashed for its dps-zerg-fest in every non-gw2 community.

And you play it……why?

Because I think GW2 is a good game regardless of its flaws.

Hickeroar.9734

And you play it……why?

Because I think GW2 is a good game regardless of its flaws.

You….just said it was terrible.

colesy.8490

There is nothing better than DPS in this game, and zerker gear maximises DPS. Therefore, how is it not the best?

DiogoSilva.7089

I said the endgame meta is terrible, which it is. It’s shallow, has no build diversity, and revolves around dPSing and dodging red circles.

But there’s more to GW2 than its endgame. WvW, PvP, bi-weekly content updates, etc.

Hickeroar.9734

There is nothing better than DPS in this game, and zerker gear maximises DPS. Therefore, how is it not the best?

You can’t DPS when you’re dead. Just because YOU can survive “anything” in zerker gear doesn’t mean the vast majority of other players can.

You’re talking about every single player in this game like they are part of the top 1-2% of skilled players. That’s pure ignorance and arrogance.

Very few players I’ve ever encountered can handle pure zerker builds for all or even “most” content. I run full zerker on three of my toons because I’ve learned how to do it and survive on them. I also would much rather have a casual/less-skilled player in my group running 50% bunker and not dying in zerker gear all the time.

You wanna be elitist, go be elitist with other elitists. Don’t expect everyone else to want to, or be able to play like that. Your viewpoint is categorically, provably wrong.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

First of all, they have all the agro, so of course they die easier. Second of all, if you are in zerker too most trash and easier boss will die fast enough that the zerker won’t die.

Agro in Guild Wars 2 is not based on damage done. If anything, the zerker should have none of the agro. So if you run zerker and die in a dungeon, you are doing something wrong.

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

- No healer
- No tank
- Focus on DPS
- Defiant
- Unshakable

Exactly.

If roles were required in this game, people would pick different gear stats for each different role.

That is absolutely the problem with the game, but I’m sure that somewhere down the road, they’ll have changed mechanics or fights around enough to mitigate this to an extent. The only question is whether they’ll do it soon enough.

Also, they’re moving Magic Find into non-armor bound locations. Like onto your account. So essentially Magic Finders are being given room to have more stats that actually contribute to the overall progress of the party.

I’m sorry, but it is demonstrably selfish to demand that you be allowed to take a stat that does nothing to support the party’s progress, whether by allowing you to deal more damage or allowing you to stay on your feet longer so nobody else has to pick you up, just so you get a marginally better chance of getting yellows or exotics.

That is a benefit solely for you that is taking something else away from the overall party build.

Sometimes the effect is only an extra three minutes on the run time and that can be fine for some dungeon groups. (certainly would be fine in mine), but the point remains that you’ve chosen something that only benefits you over something that improves overall efficiency. There is no way to spin that that isn’t selfish. It is a choice for the self over the whole. Everybody that points that out gets greeted solely with ad hominem attacks and no actual attempt to explain why that isn’t.

You should be able to play how you want. Sure. When you aren’t part of a team. When you’re part of a team, you should be willing to make non-selfish choices, or at least willing to switch off of MF gear if someone asks you. Otherwise, you’re making the selfish choice to demand to do whatever you want at the expense of others.

Individuality is great and all, but the culture that it is somehow sacrosanct and gives you carte blanche to be a problem for others is… tiresome.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I think the OP is totally, completely, irrevocably mad.

There is nothing good about a game element with X choices and only one is used.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

DiogoSilva.7089

And enemies can’t kill you if they’re dead.

Also, ideally, different stats should be used for strategical choice. Not only to help some players survive.

Hickeroar.9734

I said the endgame meta is terrible, which it is. It’s shallow, has no build diversity, and revolves around dPSing and dodging red circles.

But there’s more to GW2 than its endgame. WvW, PvP, bi-weekly content updates, etc.

No build diversity? And then you listed WvW? Are you even playing the same game I am? Like….seriously?

Hickeroar.9734

And enemies can’t kill you if they’re dead.

Oh that’s right, because all legendary-class bosses die before they get any attacks off.

[/sarcasm]

I’ve seen warriors drop dead in CoF P1 speed runs on almost every single run I’ve done. I can probably count on one hand the number of times that a warrior has not been either downed or outright killed.

DiogoSilva.7089

No build diversity? And then you listed WvW? Are you even playing the same game I am? Like….seriously?

It was implied that I was talking about PvE.

I’ve seen warriors drop dead in CoF P1 speed runs on almost every single run I’ve done.

I’ve seen every profession in any gear drop dead in this game. With so many one-hit or two-hit kills, it’s perfectly normal, even for characters with defensive gear. But at least DPS geared characters can deal more damage.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Hickeroar.9734

Agro in Guild Wars 2 is not based on damage done. If anything, the zerker should have none of the agro. So if you run zerker and die in a dungeon, you are doing something wrong.

Unless everyone is running zerker… See the thing is, usually you have someone in tankier gear…which is not zerker…pulling aggro. Kinda negates the whole argument, right?

Hickeroar.9734

It was implied that I was talking about PvE.

I’ve seen warriors drop dead in CoF P1 speed runs on almost every single run I’ve done.

I’ve seen every profession in any gear drop dead in this game. With so many one-hit or two-hit kills, it’s perfectly normal, even for characters with defensive gear. But at least DPS geared characters can deal more damage.

I play three zerkers and 2 semi-bunker 80s. I can say unequivocally that the bunker builds can take vastly larger numbers of hits, and can then recover the health they lost nearly instantaneously over and over with nearly unlimited sustain. My zerker characters high damage is almost entirely burst based (no “real” sustain except for the zerker I have with a non-zerker trait setup), and they have far fewer ways to recover from hits they DO take.

DiogoSilva.7089

Unless everyone is running zerker… See the thing is, usually you have someone in tankier gear…which is not zerker…pulling aggro. Kinda negates the whole argument, right?

Aggro is determined by range and damage. That means that whenever a zerker is in trouble, they can just fall back for a few seconds. There’s also no way to reliably pull aggro, or else you would see tank roles in this game, which do not exist.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Well,… the vast majority of the player base is constantly dead because they THINK they know how to play in this gear…

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

DiogoSilva.7089

Well,… the vast majority of the player base is constantly dead because they THINK they know how to play in this gear…

The vast majority of the playerbase is constantly dead in dungeons regardless of the gear they have equipped.

Hickeroar.9734

Aggro is determined by range and damage.

No, it’s not.

Edit: Here’s the Wiki page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

Obviously damage/range is a factor. So is “tankiness.” (Armor/Toughness)

I run a knights/celestial guardian and I have aggro 95% of the time while I KNOW I’m dealing less damage than most people in any particular encounter. I scepter-range regularly (which has middling damage), and the scenario is the same.

Hickeroar.9734

The vast majority of the playerbase is constantly dead in dungeons regardless of the gear they have equipped.

Entirely Untrue.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I do not understand the argument vs what is the best. The game is based around combat and the content that we are talking about is based around combat. Therefore, whoever wins that combat the quickest is the best. As high DPS = kill faster, then naturally high DPS = best.

You can say it’s about which is more fun, but that doesn’t mean what is best. Take for example a sport. Would you say the best player in a given league (NBA, NHL etc) is the one who had the most fun? No, of course not, that’s ridiculous. You would give it to the person with the best stats (most goals/saves etc).

As this game is DPS centric, there really is no other stat to compare. Perhaps you could compare achievements, but you are going to get more achievements faster with higher DPS. Maybe if ANet invents the FUN-O-Meter, we can use the data it provides to establish which build is the best, but until then, zerker wins.

DiogoSilva.7089

Hickeroar.9734

I just edited my post and linked the same thing. I suggest you read it.