The proliferation of long term goals

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’m exhausted.

It’s hard to get beyond that sentence, because once I muster the energy I have to acknowledge that I am doing it to myself. I’ve spent many sleepless nights the last couple of weeks pursuing Winters Presence, alongside chipping away at the PvP League meta and farming up components for HOPE. Before that, it was farming masteries – an easy prospect in Central Tyria, but not for the Itzel Mastery that I needed to finish HOPE I. There’s also the new Fractal back piece and every specialization weapon collection that I’ve barely scratched. Then there’s all the old collections I haven’t finished yet. And forget leveling Scribe, because even my patience has a limit, and I sure as hell don’t have the gold.

We’re used to complaining about having no endgame in GW2. Well, that has changed and it is now upon us. We have a choice of endgames, whether it be hunting skins, masteries, fractal achievements, a functional guild hall, or that shiny new Legendary. Maybe you’re lucky and you had the resources for one or two already. Good news, you can pick your next focus and sequester yourself away from the light for a month, just like the rest of us. Grab a tractor and harvest that flax seed. Buy a watch to time your meta, and a calendar to project when you’ll have enough of whatever currency it gives. Grab your friends for those daily pip trades. Whatever floats your boat.

We are quick to call these a money grab – just another means of getting us to shell out cash for gold. I have a different feeling on this. In the absence of extensive maps, we’ve been given things to occupy our time; these were designed to take forever, not only to give the devs more time to develop new things but to give some sense of accomplishment to all the work we put in.

But it feels like very little of this pays off in the mid-term. When the achievement isn’t something I can knock out in an hour, it’s time to strap on the comfy shoes, because the journey might take a couple of months. I’ve been working on Exotic Hunter and Treasure Hunter since their release, at a pace that could generously be called glacial . I’ve worked on pretty much anything else that comes down the pipe as I can devote time to it. As big as ANet’s table is, my plate has grown to match. But without the ability to check off some of these things on the list, it’s starting to suck my enthusiasm dry.

Wintersday is over tomorrow. Here’s hoping it doesn’t get replaced with something else that will take a month to earn.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

I still need one more enchanted map piece to drop via RNG before I can finish off Treasure Hunter.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Blame the locusts. They’re the ones who finish most of the content in the first month and kew for more and more. And so, we keep getting gates.
Material/crafting gates so the market doesn’t go utterly haywire.
Every meta event in Magus Falls, so it’s utterly inconvenient for everyone but the locusts who can spend 2-3 hours in a single map.
New, unique currencies to thwart their incessant gold/karma farming, so they have something else to grind and grind.

If they don’t make it take a month for a normal person to earn, the locusts will cry in a week. :\

But yes, I’m exhausted too.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I do blame the locusts. Loudly…. and with great frequency on here.

But yes, I understand what you guys are talking about. I went on vacation, that’s the only thing that’s stopped me from farming winterday gifts until I dropped. Now that I’m back to work, its just not a (responsible option). On top of that, I’m trying to fit in the pvp league (which I only just started) achievements. If I play every day between now and the 25th I should get the 15 days I need for YotA1: Daily League Participant.

sigh

So much to do… so little time. Just have to keep reminding myself that there is plenty of time.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

You can’t do it all. Just accept that you don’t need everything.

I have been able to happily ignore the stuff that I feel falls into the “log-in/playtime metric” booster (Daily league participant I’m looking at you), especially when there is a hard end-date that basically says “you need to do this in the next 2 weeks”. I understand wanting shiny stuff, but sometimes you have to say bugger it when it really isn’t fun or feels like a horrid chore. Hopefully the message eventually makes it through to those designing these systems.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You can’t do it all.

Doesn’t stop me from trying

However, I also realize that the only one pushing me is me, and can stop if I so choose. Nobody’s holding a gun to my head and saying “do it or die.” Just me, being me.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Sariel V.7024

I still need one more enchanted map piece to drop via RNG before I can finish off Treasure Hunter.

IIRC, those map pieces are divided out amongst various regions in which the chests are found. If you need one scrap in particular, check with the wiki to find where you should be hunting to finish it.

Sariel V.7024

As the hour crept up to 5 AM last night, I came to the sinking realization that I was still short about 50 drinks. This, after pretty much a whole night of bell choir, following whatever effort I needed to put in to advance the repeatables one last time. So I made a quick run through all my characters and stuffed them full of candy canes to get that achievement finished before buying snowballs from the karma vendor and trying to get to sleep with enough caffeine in me to light up Buffalo.

I think this one achievement has me physically sick. Certainly as I tapped away at one last iteration before work, I was barely awake and running on muscle memory. I was highly tempted to call in, but I’m not ceding defeat to my worried wife even if my body has already thrown in the towel.

ANet has a habit of locking things off once a holiday is done, so I took the extra 10 minutes to run all my minis and other stuff through the forge before heading off to shower. I’ve spent enough on this Winters Presence. I’m not risking waiting for another year on it.

Tonight will be different. DAILIES AND DONE.

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

Players go through the following process

1. Learning the game (many never go beyond this and quit.)

2. Spend thousands of hours for an in game achievement, this could be a skin or a title(this could be repeated until the real life is valued more than what is offered for wealth, health, social and mental in the game.)

3. Became a casual player (because upon the acquisition of an achievement, its value become ambiguous and diminishing.)

4. Spend more time on forum than in game (the memory of thousands of hours of game play stays in players’ mind for a long time.)

My experience for the second step was achieving the title of

“God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals”.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kind_of_a_Big_Deal

Fire Water Air
FA