The real "expansion" Guild Wars 2 needs.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Almighty Dervisher.6720

Almighty Dervisher.6720

http://www.statista.com/statistics/265018/proportion-of-directx-versions-on-the-platform-steam/

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Based on those statistics, barely anyone actually uses DirectX 9 through the past 3~4 years. If those users do use Dx9, it’s probably because the developers don’t care enough to update the game to something better.

The community has been wanting this upgrade, Anet. What’s taking so long? Guild Wars 2 using DirectX 11 has been talked about in the community before even closed Beta was released. As your little message in-game indicates, it’s been four years.

I’m fairly certain we all want to see our CPU usage in the <30/50% and GPU usage at 100%, finally. Instead of 100% CPU usage and 50% GPU usage.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

here’s a dev reply from last year about dx9, bad optimization etc.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

also 6 months ago someone asked about updating things to dx12 on the AMA
Jon Olson said “There are currently no plans.”

as to what’s taking so long…. well it could be because they aren’t actually working on anything to do with this, and have never promised to do so, and have no plans to at the moment.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Almighty Dervisher.6720

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

as to what’s taking so long…. well it could be because they aren’t actually working on anything to do with this, and have never promised to do so, and have no plans to at the moment.

So Anet knows there’s a problem with their game, and won’t address it? Alright, well guess i’ll have to intentionally not purchase any expansions or gems.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Playing Gw2 and seeing cpu usage below 50% in intensive scenarios is impossible. Gw2 is a mmo and requires the cpu.
Also, newer version wouldn’t solve performance issues during heavy fights. Game engine has to be modified, far from being an easy task.

Btw, if your gpu isn’t at 100% usage is because you’re cpu bottlenecked. Either by having an overkill gpu for this game, or an insufficient cpu.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Simple answer would be not for GW2.
If it is ever implemented it would be in the next version of the game (3??) IF they ever plan to make one.

Almighty Dervisher.6720

Simple answer would be not for GW2.
If it is ever implemented it would be in the next version of the game (3??) IF they ever plan to make one.

Doubt it. Seems like Anet decided to put little effort into GW2. Dev team removed anything that make GW decent, and made GW2 simple enough for braindead players to use. Not to mention how p2w WvW/PvP is right now.

http://i.imgur.com/eACzJ4e.gif

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

So Anet knows there’s a problem with their game, and won’t address it? Alright, well guess i’ll have to intentionally not purchase any expansions or gems.

That is not what they said at all. I would suggest reading that link, since it does explain why moving beyond DX9 wont gain much benefit overall.

Almighty Dervisher.6720

That is not what they said at all. I would suggest reading that link, since it does explain why moving beyond DX9 wont gain much benefit overall.

The devs are half way to being kittened. You expect me to read through all of what some Anet member said? The game is CPU bound. There are plenty of other games that show fps can be better.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

If the game still works, what difference does it make?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The devs are half way to being kittened. You expect me to read through all of what some Anet member said? The game is CPU bound. There are plenty of other games that show fps can be better.

They know about their game than we do, so yes I would expect anyone to read their explanations of a code and engine they work on every day before levelling any criticisms, in order for their opinion to be taken seriously.

Almighty Dervisher.6720

The difference being GW looks great and runs at a flat 60+, no issues. While GW2 won’t go above 40 no matter what kitten settings I pick. Whatever Anet did, they really kittened up their engine.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The difference being GW looks great and runs at a flat 60+, no issues. While GW2 won’t go above 40 no matter what kitten settings I pick. Whatever Anet did, they really kittened up their engine.

You’re comparing a 2012 game to a 2005 game though. One of which is more open world than the other as well. If they’re both on the same level playing field, no matter what is changed, one is going to perform better than the other no matter how many times you update whatever drivers or hardware you do.

40+ FPS is rubbish to you? Think about us Mac users for heaven’s sake!!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Almighty Dervisher.6720

You’re comparing a 2012 game to a 2005 game though. One of which is more open world than the other as well. If they’re both on the same level playing field, no matter what is changed, one is going to perform better than the other no matter how many times you update whatever drivers or hardware you do.

40+ FPS is rubbish to you? Think about us Mac users for heaven’s sake!!

There’s a reason I don’t click on Apple/Mac links, or interact with Apple users.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Well, the dev said that there is a bottleneck in the “main thread” and that they tried from time to time to reduce this bottleneck (which is complicated for him/them) and that the game has one “graphics-thread” (which is not the “main thread”) that handles all DX9 things, so optimizing the “main thread” does not boost the “graphics thread”.

So there is a bottleneck/performance problem, but the existing devs can’t really fix this.

However, if you see the big picture, a real switch to utilize the features of DX12 would require a lot of changes and optimizations in the game client that by themselves would result in a much better client performance/speed. But A-net as a company does not want to put effort and ressources into this.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Something must be wrong with your system then. I play at 60 FPS (130 FPS with the frame limiter turned off). At medium/high settings.

Have you checked if your drivers are properly installed and up-to-date?
Also what are your specs?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Almighty Dervisher.6720

Something must be wrong with your system then. I play at 60 FPS (130 FPS with the frame limiter turned off). At medium/high settings.

Dual Xeons, which are a benchmark equivalent of an i3-4150. Unfortunately since Anet doesn’t know what multicore coding is, instead of getting 60+ fps like an i3-4150 does/can do, I get ~20~30fps at similar settings/specs (other than CPU).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YvHmc0C5k

Don’t talk about drivers. Honestly.

Dual Xeons, which are a benchmark equivalent of an i3-4150. Unfortunately since Anet doesn’t know what multicore coding is, instead of getting 60+ fps like an i3-4150 does/can do, I get ~20~30fps at similar settings/specs (other than CPU).

I’ve worked at technical support once, you would be surprised how many performance issues are caused by faulty driver installations.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Well, the dev said that there is a bottleneck in the “main thread” and that they tried from time to time to reduce this bottleneck (which is complicated for him/them) and that the game has one “graphics-thread” (which is not the “main thread”) that handles all DX9 things, so optimizing the “main thread” does not boost the “graphics thread”.

So there is a bottleneck/performance problem, but the existing devs can’t really fix this.

However, if you see the big picture, a real switch to utilize the features of DX12 would require a lot of changes and optimizations in the game client that by themselves would result in a much better client performance/speed. But A-net as a company does not want to put effort and ressources into this.

Dev also said that the render thread, the one that did all of the interactions with DX was almost never the cause of the bottleneck. Yes optimizations could be done to the code, but you really won’t see very much performance improvements, especially for effort invested, from switching this game to DX11 or DX12

How old is your computer? And how much RAM does it have (also if you happen to know, could you tell me what kind of RAM it is)? Your processor is not the only thing that a game’s performance relies on, and even then, the performance differences between a fourth generation i3 and a sixth generation i3 are huge (and from what I can gather, the i3-4150 is a Haswell processor, which makes it the fourth generation of “i” processors from intel). Anyway, no matter how good your CPU might be, it will always be slowed down when it has to read something from your disk (like game assets). RAM makes stuff go faster by being faster to access information from, but the type of RAM is important, as well as how much you have.

You can’t simply say that you have dual xenon processors and that this automatically means you should be having top FPS on this game. Even if your RAM and CPU are top of the line, this is still an MMO, which means lag can easily come from a not so great wireless card or internet connection (do you know your speeds?). And no, upgrading to DX12 will not help with any of these problems as they are hardware based and on your end.

Almighty Dervisher.6720

How old is your computer? And how much RAM does it have (also if you happen to know, could you tell me what kind of RAM it is)? Your processor is not the only thing that a game’s performance relies on, and even then, the performance differences between a fourth generation i3 and a sixth generation i3 are huge (and from what I can gather, the i3-4150 is a Haswell processor, which makes it the fourth generation of “i” processors from intel). Anyway, no matter how good your CPU might be, it will always be slowed down when it has to read something from your disk (like game assets). RAM makes stuff go faster by being faster to access information from, but the type of RAM is important, as well as how much you have.

You can’t simply say that you have dual xenon processors and that this automatically means you should be having top FPS on this game. Even if your RAM and CPU are top of the line, this is still an MMO, which means lag can easily come from a not so great wireless card or internet connection (do you know your speeds?). And no, upgrading to DX12 will not help with any of these problems as they are hardware based and on your end.

Yeah i’m not going to explain how I know this is a CPU issue.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Switching to DX12 wouldn’t magically unlock all of DX12’s functionalities. To take advantage of DX12 fully a game’s engine has to be constructed around DX12, simply converting to DX12 would bring little gain while at the same time resulting in years of bugs.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Almighty Dervisher.6720

Switching to DX12 wouldn’t magically unlock all of DX12’s functionalities. To take advantage of DX12 fully a game’s engine has to be constructed around DX12, simply converting to DX12 would bring little gain while at the same time resulting in years of bugs.

Anet’s had a long time to fix their engine. A long, long time.

A time they used to create content. Imagine a content drought of more than a year… No thanks. That’s how long upgrading to DX12 and implement multithreading is going to take, if we are lucky. It’s not a simple matter of just ‘fixing it’. You are asking them to redesign the entire game because you are having FPS problems.

You can either keep blaming anet for your problems, or you can try and let us help you.
And as i’ve told you before, i’m running the game just fine. And I know plenty of people who have no problem running the game either. So evidently the game is capable of running smoothly.

So I’ll ask again, are your drivers in order? How old is your PC? What generation i3 do you have? And so on. The more we know about your system, the more likely we are to find a solution for you.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Almighty Dervisher.6720

A time they used to create content. Imagine a content drought of more than a year… No thanks. That’s how long upgrading to DX12 and implement multithreading is going to take, if we are lucky. It’s not a simple matter of just ‘fixing it’. You are asking them to redesign the entire game because you are having FPS problems.

You can either keep blaming anet for your problems, or you can try and let us help you.
And as i’ve told you before, i’m running the game just fine. And I know plenty of people who have no problem running the game either. So evidently the game is capable of running smoothly.

So I’ll ask again, are your drivers in order? How old is your PC? What generation i3 do you have? And so on. The more we know about your system, the more likely we are to find a solution for you.

Lol you don’t even realize the extent of what you’d have to learn to be at the point where you could help me improve FPS. Most of it would be behind Anet’s approval, too.

What you could do is be like a lot of other players and send a complaint to Anet, because it’s been a problem through the past four years, and many more if you consider how long GW’s been around.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Taking advantage of DX12 functionalities is beyond “fixing” the engine. It’s more like rebuilding the engine ground up, and doing so would massively disrupt development for a year or more while also introducing massive amounts of new bugs.

Also Anet has been working on the engine, the 64bit upgrade for one, and a cursory look at the Heart of Maguuma maps reveals advancements in shaders, texture/geometry fidelity, and animation.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Lol you don’t even realize the extent of what you’d have to learn to be at the point where you could help me improve FPS. Most of it would be behind Anet’s approval, too.

What you could do is be like a lot of other players and send a complaint to Anet, because it’s been a problem through the past four years, and many more if you consider how long GW’s been around.

I don’t need to send a complaint because the game is working fine for me.
Since you obviously don’t want help i’ll leave it at that. Good day sir.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Almighty Dervisher.6720

I do want help. Unfortunately this amount of help requirement is likely out of your scope.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They said they were working on a native Mac client. If they’re doing that, then they’ll have to update their engine, which would also be a good opportunity to update the DX side. It’ll likely take another year at the least however, probably with the next expansion. Simply changing it won’t be a magical fix however.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

No, they haven’t. Redoing a game engine from a game such big as Gw2 isn’t a thing that can be can done in a few months. And then you have count Gw2 is upgraded periodically, which makes pretty impossible to do both at the same time.

Also, which model of Xeon do you have?

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I do want help. Unfortunately this amount of help requirement is likely out of your scope.

Actually, you don’t want help. All you are doing is refusing the help from people who more than likely know more than you about this subject based on your comments in this thread. All you want is to argue with people, I hope your thread gets closed because its clear you won’t be satisfied with any answer that people are going to give and you very clearly do not want help.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Just my two coppers – the game looks great, even on my old laptop. And on a good machine and monitor, it looks incredible. I’d rather seen more content and QoL improvements, as we’ve been getting recently. (p.s. thank you anet)
Agree that this *cough*trolling*cough* thread ought to be locked.

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

it’s probably because the developers don’t care enough to update the game to something better..

I think you answered your own question there.

They dont even care for their own forums, preferring to post on reddit!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

Posted by: TheOrlyFactor.8341

TheOrlyFactor.8341

They dont even care for their own forums, preferring to post on reddit!

http://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/58/75/2033786295-whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Playing GW2 for the story is like expecting plot in a porno. You’ll be left disappointed.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Hey, Almighty Dervisher. I have a 1995 Mustang in my garage. Do you have any automotive technical knowledge? I’d like to update it to the 2016 model. Or at least just upgrade its engine.

Posted by: Moderator

This thread has gone off topic and therefore has run its course. It will now be locked. Thank you.