The reasons to play GW2

The reasons to play GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

Originally, it was because I was a GW1 fan. I played 4155 hours over 56 months in GW1, averaging 74 hours a month. I enjoyed the GW2 for about two months after the launch and slowed down afterwards and I have not played for 27 days. In total, I spent about 340 hours online on GW2 since late Aug of 2012, an average about 22 hours a month. I had a chance to play GW2 tonight, but I did Yoga instead. I still have temptations to play GW2, but then everything in the game seems so familiar that I can just close eyes and see how the game would be played out.

Fire Water Air
FA

The reasons to play GW2

Posted by: Ventrue.5731

Ventrue.5731

Well, it pumps out bunch of casual content with the living stories, it is pretty much like holly day events. Kill 200 mobs for achievement A, do a personal story for achievement B. But I would not expect any end game content if thats what your after…

The reasons to play GW2

Lord of Rings.5371

Well, it pumps out bunch of casual content with the living stories, it is pretty much like holly day events. Kill 200 mobs for achievement A, do a personal story for achievement B. But I would not expect any end game content if thats what your after…

Yes.

This game has little appreciation of the time players invested in the game. It keeps on demolishing players’ accomplishments and forcing them to lower levels, just like levels scaling down at a lower level zone. This type of nerfing appeared in all aspects of the game in zone scaling, dungeons, pvps, skills, and gears. And the biggest nerf is how little value GW2 gives to the time invested by players in GW1. This leaves a sense of deception when new items are introduced and the suspicion that obsolescence is already being planned as new items being released.

For the time I have put in the game, 4,495 hours, one could have earned $32,588.75 USD at $7.25USD minimum wage.

Fire Water Air
FA

The reasons to play GW2

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Yes.

This game has little appreciation of the time players invested in the game. It keeps on demolishing players’ accomplishments and forcing them to lower levels, just like levels scaling down at a lower level zone. This type of nerfing appeared in all aspects of the game in zone scaling, dungeons, pvps, skills, and gears. And the biggest nerf is how little value GW2 gives to the time invested by players in GW1. This leaves a sense of deception when new items are introduced and the suspicion that obsolescence is already being planned as new items being released.

I’m having a difficult time understand what you’re talking about to be honest. Demolishing accomplishments? I guess you’re talking about the revamped Fractals, but considering people are already back to level 50 that idea falls flat… you think leveling down is bad? I think it’s one of the more brilliant concepts I’ve seen in quite awhile. In games that don’t down-level you you’re basically closing the door to the content of any zone once you out-level it. The challenge is completely gone when you can one-shot those zone bosses that gave you a real challenge at level. So why go back to an archaic system that kills content behind you to give the illusion of power? Ridiculous, just creates dead content over time. Your talk of obsolescence is also highly off mark. Ascended gear has not, nor will it, made exotics obsolete. The game is tuned for exotics at high levels. Even in WvW the minor advantages you’d get from ascended are easily countered with a single well timed dodge or other show of timing and/or skill.

I think I’ve more than enough hours in this game to decide personally that my time invested is definitely rewarding and well spent. As to whether or not ANet appreciates it, well, I’m not going to put words in their mouths, but it feels like it and that’s good enough for me.

#TeamJadeQuarry

The reasons to play GW2

Lord of Rings.5371

I’m having a difficult time understand what you’re talking about to be honest.

Sorry about that.

I was reviewing my Guild Wars experience and justifying time spent in the game. Now, there is very little value for the 4155 hours, equivalent to 173 days or about half a year of my life, spent in GW1. So I was looking into whether I should invest more time in GW2?

Fire Water Air
FA

The reasons to play GW2

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I’m having a difficult time understand what you’re talking about to be honest.

Sorry about that.

I was reviewing my Guild Wars experience and justifying time spent in the game. Now, there is very little value for the 4155 hours, equivalent to 173 days or about half a year of my life, spent in GW1. So I was looking into whether I should invest more time in GW2?

Bah, you don’t need the forums to decide that for you. It’s really very simple. Are you having fun when you play? Don’t sweat the metas, don’t let things like ascended gear force you down a path you don’t want to go, just go do something you enjoy. If you find ways to have fun then yes, it’s worth investing more time into. If not, then it doesn’t really make sense to play a game you’re not having fun playing. Just keep in mind there are many different ways to play the game, so at least consider options you may not have at first (WvW as an example) instead of quitting without trying all there is to offer. (For WvW and a whole new experience, hook on with a WvW centric guild and run with them. The difference is night and day compared to “pugging” along.)

No one here can decide if you’re having fun but you. In that light, all our opinions are really worth a whole lot of not much.

#TeamJadeQuarry

The reasons to play GW2

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No one here can decide if you’re having fun but you. In that light, all our opinions are really worth a whole lot of not much.

So much this.

Step back, *determine what you find fun, determine if GW2 offers you that ‘fun,’ and go from there.

Do not let others dictate your play…

*stupid filter

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

The reasons to play GW2

Posted by: Heta.8629

Heta.8629

Yes.

For the time I have put in the game, 4,495 hours, one could have earned $32,588.75 USD at $7.25USD minimum wage.

Would 1 shotting everything be more fun than getting scaled down? You still keep all your equipment traits and skills you just are scaled down to a competitive level for the enemies around you to still make the content challenging. If scaling did not exist you could solo all dungeons that do not require group mechanics and you might want to do this but it is unhealthy for the game. By solo I mean completely roflstomp. I can only assume the other part of the post refers to ascended equipment. Ascended is how devs planned exotics to be in the beginning but they were acquired far too easily which is why ascended is introduced now. Time playing != potential money earned so the comparison is pointless. What job can you find that pays you minimum wage for your time at a computer in your free time? If it’s not at your home than travel costs and time also have to be considered. Would you work in your free time if you weren’t playing this game or find something else fun to do?

The reasons to play GW2

Lord of Rings.5371

Are you having fun when you play? Don’t sweat the metas, don’t let things like ascended gear force you down a path you don’t want to go, just go do something you enjoy. If you find ways to have fun then yes, it’s worth investing more time into. If not, then it doesn’t really make sense to play a game you’re not having fun playing. Just keep in mind there are many different ways to play the game, so at least consider options you may not have at first (WvW as an example) instead of quitting without trying all there is to offer. (For WvW and a whole new experience, hook on with a WvW centric guild and run with them. The difference is night and day compared to “pugging” along.)

Yes, I try to have fun in the game. Some of WvW guilds appear to be really serious. I am still not sure if I would like to make the time commitment since I already spent so much time in GW1.

So much this.

Step back, *determine what you find fun, determine if GW2 offers you that ‘fun,’ and go from there.

Do not let others dictate your play…

Curiosity can be fun. I am curious about today’s update.

Fire Water Air
FA

The reasons to play GW2

Posted by: Izer.2083

Izer.2083

What i like is the job balance. But I still complain a lot about warrior lol.
Played free to play games before this… such like Rising Force, Perfect World, 3Kingdom Online, Runes Of Magic, and Allods… the thing i love about this game is we don;t spend as much money and not a single person can use real money to kill a whole party solo….

The reasons to play GW2

Lord of Rings.5371

Would 1 shotting everything be more fun than getting scaled down? You still keep all your equipment traits and skills you just are scaled down to a competitive level for the enemies around you to still make the content challenging.

It could be fun. For challenges, one could go to higher level zones.

If scaling did not exist you could solo all dungeons that do not require group mechanics and you might want to do this but it is unhealthy for the game. By solo I mean completely roflstomp. I can only assume the other part of the post refers to ascended equipment. Ascended is how devs planned exotics to be in the beginning but they were acquired far too easily which is why ascended is introduced now. Time playing != potential money earned so the comparison is pointless.

We paid for the game, a game of entertainment. I want to be entertained. I don’t believe that forcing players to work certain way is called entertainment. It is called slavery. I would like to have options to solo if I want to. I like to have places where one shot can work on everything. It is called serving the clients. Login in the Guild Wars 2 it like going to work at a job now. We are clients of Anera Net and we do not work for Guild Wars 2.

What job can you find that pays you minimum wage for your time at a computer in your free time? If it’s not at your home than travel costs and time also have to be considered. Would you work in your free time if you weren’t playing this game or find something else fun to do?

Well, you obviously did not look hard enough for a job. The time you spend in the game could be the time you spent learning Java, or doing Yoga, or just have walk with your friends, family or pets, or just cleanup your room. All of them are more rewarding than in a game were achievements are meaningless a few years unless you are working with your physical friends in GW2. Then I am concerned about the lingering effects of been constantly exposed to the flashing lights of the game. I don’t want mine friends to go through this.

I don’t mind playing Zork with my friends because it actually challenges players to think. Here, it is a training ground for slaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork

Fire Water Air
FA

The reasons to play GW2

Lord of Rings.5371

Of course, none of us are slaves.

Fire Water Air
FA