The rent in her corseted hull?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

“Her side was caved, her sleek curve wrenched apart, and water was pouring into her berth. She’d survive, but only if she could dislodge her unwanted suitor and plug the rent he’d made in her corseted hull.”

I’m reading and more or less enjoying the new GW2 novel “Sea of Sorrows.” But I just got to this passage, which refers to a boat collision, and I was totally taken aback. I know ships are referred to as female, but the other ship isn’t in this case, so I have to wonder… what was the author/editor thinking with this? I find it pretty disturbing.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Never heard of a ‘corseted hull’. Google came up with this:

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It speaks of one shipped being rammed by another. There is now a hole in it’s hull, and needs to be patched. Not sure what is so disturbing. If you want to anthropomorphize it, the lady now has a knife or something stuck in her ribs (where her corset would be), needs to remove it, and staunch the blood flow. Is this what is disturbing?

Sitkaz.5463

It speaks of one shipped being rammed by another. There is now a hole in it’s hull, and needs to be patched. Not sure what is so disturbing. If you want to anthropomorphize it, the lady now has a knife or something stuck in her ribs (where her corset would be), needs to remove it, and staunch the blood flow. Is this what is disturbing?

It’s disturbing because it was only about a stabbing it wouldn’t have to be a corset, which is a kind of underwear. So it’s more intimate than a “regular” stabbing, and again because he’s her “suitor.” The other ship also doesn’t have to be male, and actually shouldn’t because ships are female, when they’re anything. So it’s purposefully made it into an intimate underwear-involved stabbing from male to female… I hope I don’t need to be more clear than that. Anyway I didn’t anthromorphize it, the author did.

Edited to say: It’s possible they chose to use “corset” because they have ribs and ships have ribs… kind of.

(edited by Sitkaz.5463)

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

I don’t know what you are readying into this OP.

One ship is being rammed by another one that doesn’t have the fire power to do anything else. It’s not like the ship has a mind of his own.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

It’s a sexual metaphor. The author of the book has probably read too much Stephenie Meyer.

Go esports yay!!!

Tower Guard.5263

LOL ships can have sex, didn’t really know that.

Sitkaz.5463

I don’t know what you are readying into this OP.

One ship is being rammed by another one that doesn’t have the fire power to do anything else. It’s not like the ship has a mind of his own.

I’m sorry it’s not clear. It seems pretty clear to me, since the author chose to give it to us straight up: unwanted suitor, male and female, etc.

Tower Guard.5263

Oh grow up.

This is all I can say.

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

It’s called ships with benefits.

Sitkaz.5463

Oh grow up.

This is all I can say.

Who? And why?

I’m not bringing it up to guffaw about sexual suggestiveness in the book, like I’m twelve years old and find sex so hilarious. I’m bringing it up because I found it disturbing and interesting and thought it was worth discussing.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, all I can say is…if you are that offended, stop reading. Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me. Each to their own, I guess.

Posted by: Noir.3204

Noir.3204

All I can say is never watch Felicia Day’s Youtube book club channel, if you are so easily offended.

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Wow, quite a collection of dirty minds we have here.

One ship was rammed from the side by another, causing the side of the hull to buckle in the middle. The buckled curve would be in a similar shape as that of a woman wearing a corset that is squeezing her middle, hence “corseted hull”. The hole in the corset is the hole the other ship just made in the hull

An unwanted suitor is a guy who can’t take a hint. We’ve all seen the guy at the club who just can’t take a hint that the girl isn’t interested, he keeps on flirting even though she doesn’t want him anywhere near her.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

(edited by Dedlaw.9130)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Where did you think little boats like canoes and tugs come from?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

From the corpses of bigger boats?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Why can’t we have these sultry details in GW2?

I for one one would enjoy the intimate details between a male Norn and his delightful female Asura partner

or your neighborhood friendly Charr and his secret relations with the Quaggan across the street.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Darksidhe.6740

Darksidhe.6740

Artistic or creative license..which ever way you want to bend it.

Also may be another type of hull..splined or ribs compressed by a type of cloth/leather/other material? (silk?) into a certain form.
A leather covering over a wooden skelton frame like canoe.

Btw…ships with benefits..lol…awesome.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

All I can say is never watch Felicia Day’s Youtube book club channel, if you are so easily offended.

That one is pretty tame compared to a lot of the other stuff on the net …

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Perhaps not too high.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

From the corpses of bigger boats?

Abaddon: God of Water, Secrets and Boat Resurrection.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

It speaks of one shipped being rammed by another.

giggity giggity

but judging by the sheer volume of pirate ghosts I’m always wading through in Tyria lately, these sorts of events just spill seamen everywhere… just TRY and get to the Aether cache in North Hratli if you don’t believe me, there’s not even a Sea nearby so it’s a total mystery why there’s so much seamen there!

(edited by ilr.9675)