The rewards from the collections achievements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

When I heard that collections would be added to the game, I was extremely excited and couldn’t wait for the feature pack to be released. I would go through the wardrobe, look at items and try to guess what could belong to those collections. Some of them were pretty obvious: the dungeon sets and weapons. Seemed like the pefect way to make people run the unpopular dungeons.

When the update came live, I was very surprised to find out that none of the following made it into the collections, while the black lion weapons each had their own:

• Corrupted weapons
  • Destroyer weapons
  • Mist weapons
  • Mystic weapons
  • FRACTAL weapons
  • Ascended weapons

However, what shocked me, were the rewards you receive from some of the rare collections, that cost players thousands of gold to complete.

• The reward for the ascended armor collection is a joke. A person who crafted all those super expensive armors, does not want a random exotic from a champ box, that used to cost between 1 and 20 g. A reward that makes a lot more sence would have been at least an ascended weapon box.
  • The acolyte of Dwayna – I own the backpiece and the bows (the short bow via a precursor) , let’s say a cost of 1800 g. Reward: a stupid exotic. Again, why would a person using such expensive weapons, want to recieve a random exotic, that can be purchased off the TP after one full run of AC?

I believe the collections have a lot of potential to entertain people for a long time, but some of the rewards should be revised. I am not saying that they should give precursors, but it should be better than the exotics.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i thought the same thing why does the black lion weapons all got slots for this and lots of other didnt. it just shows how focused they are on us buying gems and have us play their rng gaME

IceVyper.6810

I am a bit surprised that more people aren’t upset about the poor rewards.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

What surprises me is some players still don’t get it, that this is only a game to us.. its a business to ANET and as such they have to place carrots in front of us to try and entice us to part with some coin.

No one is forcing you to do the collections, no one is forcing you to buy gems.. especially as you can simply exchange some coin every now and then to build up your gem pots.. but no, players want easywin items as rewards.. use the exotics from the rewards to make money then buy your gems. its simple really if your not wanting to spend money… it’s not a race there is no winner or loser.
If the game fails to make money, then how long do you think it will be before any kind of content updates begin to get put back and then the bean counters back at HQ start to consider flicking off the power switch permanently… buying a boxset is only part of the business model and likewise part of your gaming experience.. but the key is you control the choices in game as to whether you want to donate some real coin to it or not.. nothing in the store is absolutely paramount to you succeeding in an event / dungeon/ frac etc.. its mainly just fluff to enhance your experience.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

IceVyper.6810

What surprises me is some players still don’t get it, that this is only a game to us.. its a business to ANET and as such they have to place carrots in front of us to try and entice us to part with some coin.

No one is forcing you to do the collections, no one is forcing you to buy gems.. especially as you can simply exchange some coin every now and then to build up your gem pots.. no players want easywin items as rewards.. use the exotics from the rewards to make money then buy your gems. its simple really if your not wanting to spend money… it’s not a race there is no winner or loser.
If the game fails to make money, then how do you think it will be before any kind of content updates begin to get put back and then the bean counters back at HQ start to consider flicking off the power switch permanently… buying a boxset is only part of the business model and likewise part of your gaming experience.. but the key is you control the choices in game as to whether you want to donate some real coin to the game.

First of all, nowhere in my topic was I complaining that I need to buy gems, that I cannot make gold or that I cannot afford the items on the collections.

The issue is, that you need to spend thousands of gold to complete some of them (which I and many others have already done) , but then you are given a very meaningless reward that does not measure the amount of work that people put in.

How is giving me an ascended weapon, instead of an exotic, affecting Anets earnings??

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Maybe because not all players have understand the underlining design principles yet, maybe because some players think that complaining about this has the same effect as complaining about the black-lions-chests-ticket-randomness (i.e. nothing will change), maybe because some players think its an error that will be fixed soon, maybe some players dont care about collections at all.

When they announced the collections I was quite happy about it. Now after I saw it myself: Not so much anymore.

Greetings.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

There are more collections than what you see or what Dulfy is currently reporting. There is one unlocked from a drop at the Claw of Jormag fight, for instance. No idea what collection, though.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Exotic Hunter Collection

Reward: 10 AP, Karmic Converter (Double-Click to trade karma for something useful. Can only buy one item per day. Allow you to buy items such as Bag of Empyeal Fragments, Rune Bag, or 5 Obsidian Shards for 4998 karma).
Unlock 34 named exotic weapon skins from champion boxes into your wardrobe

Hero of the People Collection

Collect and open all five tiers (Basic, Fine, Masterwork, Rare, Exoitc) of the Centaur, Flame Legion, Svanir, Nightmare Court, and Inquest Champion loot bags
Reward: Champion Slayer’s Chest (contains Obsidian Shards, Dragonite Ore, Empyreal Fragments, and a unique exotic weapon from champion loot bags)

. . . yup, the rewards sure are crap and not worth it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

IceVyper.6810

There are more collections than what you see or what Dulfy is currently reporting. There is one unlocked from a drop at the Claw of Jormag fight, for instance. No idea what collection, though.

I think this is the collection where you need to get all the elementalist conjured weapons: volcanus, mjölnir, wintersbite and winterbark (one of those bows drop from Jormag). Again, very expensive weapons, no idea what the reward is though.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think this is the collection where you need to get all the elementalist conjured weapons: volcanus, mjölnir, wintersbite and winterbark (one of those bows drop from Jormag). Again, very expensive weapons, no idea what the reward is though.

I don’t think anyone does yet, honestly. Still waiting to see what “Spirit Backpack” is . . .

IceVyper.6810

I don’t think anyone does yet, honestly. Still waiting to see what “Spirit Backpack” is . . .

I saw that one, it is quite ugly but at least it is some new skin. It looks like one of the new backpieces (the one with the hanging anvil from it) but it is transparent blue a blue hue.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

the item the claw drops seems to unlock a Corrupted weapon collection, according to the wiki.

Maybe the Megadestroyer drops a similar item for a Primordus weapon collection?

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

I think the intent is for the rewards to be a bonus to people who like the skins or happen to unlock many of the collection items through normal play over time. The reward isn’t supposed to be the primary incentive for completing collections. I already had the ascended armor one completed when I logged in today (I do a lot of fractals) so I got a nice title and the exotic chest which I used on Arthropoda and sold for 150g. Now obviously the 1200g or so that ascended armor costs is far more than the 150g reward that I got, but I didn’t spend 1200g for the reward. I spent it for the armor and I consider that reward as a bonus.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Just to play the devil’s advocate here, but the items you’re collecting in themselves are already rewards, you’re just getting an extra bit of reward for getting the whole set. Take for example the ascended armor collection: people aren’t making ascended armor to get the achievement reward, they’re making the armor to wear – the achievement reward is just icing on that particular cake.

Same can be said about pretty much every other collection reward, with the exception of Junk Collector.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Take for example the ascended armor collection: people aren’t making ascended armor to get the achievement reward, they’re making the armor to wear – the achievement reward is just icing on that particular cake.

I’m not doing it for the collection? Huh.

Same can be said about pretty much every other collection reward, with the exception of Junk Collector.

I’m just doing that so I can be one step to being King Skritt.

IceVyper.6810

I think the intent is for the rewards to be a bonus to people who like the skins or happen to unlock many of the collection items through normal play over time. The reward isn’t supposed to be the primary incentive for completing collections. I already had the ascended armor one completed when I logged in today (I do a lot of fractals) so I got a nice title and the exotic chest which I used on Arthropoda and sold for 150g. Now obviously the 1200g or so that ascended armor costs is far more than the 150g reward that I got, but I didn’t spend 1200g for the reward. I spent it for the armor and I consider that reward as a bonus.

You were lucky that people are going like crazy trying to buy those weapons, so you got a somewhat decent money out of it. You are right, the reward is not supposed to be the primary incentive, but it still should measure the amount of time and work. I only crafted the heavy ascended set. The rest of the skins I unlocked because I too do a lot of fractals (only miss a couple of pieces). But that still meant hours and hours of high level fractals. So yeah, I do not want a stupid exotic for my work, I want something that is harder to get and that I cannot buy from the TP.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Why do they tell me I already owned two pieces of some black lion weapons (torment trident and aetherized axe) when in fact I did not get them?
Is that supposed to be a bug or an ‘incentive’ to buy the remaining 18???

Of course I checked my wardrobe and the skins are, as before, unlocked.

And back to topic, yes I think they could improve the rewards. Some rewards even don’t make much sense.

Pandaman.4758

Take for example the ascended armor collection: people aren’t making ascended armor to get the achievement reward, they’re making the armor to wear – the achievement reward is just icing on that particular cake.

At the risk of sounding rude, but if you really are spending the time, gold, and effort to make three sets of ascended armor just for the achievement (and promptly throwing the armor away because you see no value in them), then you would make an excellent King Skritt

Tobias Trueflight.8350

At the risk of sounding rude, but if you really are spending the time, gold, and effort to make three sets of ascended armor just for the achievement (and promptly throwing the armor away because you see no value in them), then you would make an excellent King Skritt

I’m not. I just am kidding – I am not even really interested in finishing my Medium Ascended Armor except at the pace of “sometime before the game shuts down”.

IceVyper.6810

Just to play the devil’s advocate here, but the items you’re collecting in themselves are already rewards, you’re just getting an extra bit of reward for getting the whole set. Take for example the ascended armor collection: people aren’t making ascended armor to get the achievement reward, they’re making the armor to wear – the achievement reward is just icing on that particular cake.

Yes, and the icing on that cake, should be something more valuable. Why are the people griding geodes getting the opportunity to choose a free ascended armor piece? Why can’t I get a free berserker light armor chest for my alts?

What bothers me the most is that the reward is not special enough, and that I could get it extremely easily via other channels. Ascended items are always going to be more special than exotics (precursors being the exception). How hard is it to reward people with a choice of the godly ascended backpieces, for example?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yes, and the icing on that cake, should be something more valuable. Why are the people griding geodes getting the opportunity to choose a free ascended armor piece? Why can’t I get a free berserker light armor chest for my alts?

Because I’m not that high in Tailoring yet to make silk stuff. Otherwise I’d offer

What bothers me the most is that the reward is not special enough, and that I could get it extremely easily via other channels. Ascended items are always going to be more special than exotics (precursors being the exception). How hard is it to reward people with a choice of the godly ascended backpieces, for example?

I dunno, some of them really do look special and odd.

IceVyper.6810

And I can get all of them super easily. Ascended stuff on the other hand: not so easy.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Indeed.

They created the perfect scavenger hunt that could have had precursors at the end…

…and then removed the precursor and placed a random exotic.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

No one is forcing you to do the collections, no one is forcing you to buy gems.. especially as you can simply exchange some coin every now and then to build up your gem pots.. but no, players want easywin items as rewards.. use the exotics from the rewards to make money then buy your gems. its simple really if your not wanting to spend money… it’s not a race there is no winner or loser.
If the game fails to make money, then how long do you think it will be before any kind of content updates begin to get put back and then the bean counters back at HQ start to consider flicking off the power switch permanently… buying a boxset is only part of the business model and likewise part of your gaming experience.. but the key is you control the choices in game as to whether you want to donate some real coin to it or not.. nothing in the store is absolutely paramount to you succeeding in an event / dungeon/ frac etc.. its mainly just fluff to enhance your experience.

While agreed Anet is a business, that can be a business and do things ethically. This implementation is transparently not ethical in the slightest and given the lack of success in China (ie see NCSoft financial report where this quarter with China’s profits GW2 made less than last quarter without China) and the pretty rapid fail of Wildstar the general business practices are becoming more and more “give us your money now” as a priority rather than making a solid and fun product which is ultimately a very short sighted business plan with MMO’s because you very rarely ever get back the people you lose along the way.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Indeed.

They created the perfect scavenger hunt that could have had precursors at the end…

…and then removed the precursor and placed a random exotic.

Probably was a form of the scavenger hunt they had in mind before they decided Precursors needed something else. Sort of like how Mawdrey smacks of “building yourself a Legendary instead of buying it”.

I’d almost ready to wager gold these two things are ideas they had, started testing and went “whoa, wait a moment, we need to do something better than this”. But someone rescued it for a pet project and polished it into something which could be used in the game.

Pandaman.4758

Well, the way I see it is we didn’t get anything extra before, so an exotic bonus is already pretty nice, especially when it’s actually something we can choose (assuming “your choice of a unique exotic weapon” actually means we get to choose and not “lol trolled, here’s something you already have that’s worth 1g”); conversely if people don’t care about the ascended armors, then they won’t feel penalized by missing out on great rewards because they don’t want to make something they don’t care for.

That being said, the wiki of the Grand Weapon Crate is really light on detail (or has none, rather); can anyone tell us if the exotics we choose are exclusively dropped unique exotics or include mystic forged exotics (like Infinite Light)?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

That being said, the wiki of the Grand Weapon Crate is really light on detail (or has none, rather); can anyone tell us if the exotics we choose are exclusively dropped unique exotics or include mystic forged exotics (like Infinite Light)?

Ascended Accoutrement Collection
Reward: 100 AP, Grand Artisan title, and Grand Weapon Crate (your choice of an unique exotic weapon from champion loot bags)
Collect 18 crafted ascended armor (6 per weight class x 3 weight class)

http://dulfy.net/2014/09/08/gw2-items-collections-guide/

IceVyper.6810

You get to choose from the weapons that drop from champion boxes (pretty much the ones that belong to the Exotic Hunter collection). All of them used to be cheap and easy to acquire via TP. No matter how much their prices skyrocket, they will never be percieved as special as they are very common and people are already tired of the skins.

I don’t see the exotic as a bonus at all. I see it as a “I acquired all the end game armor and all I got is this lousy exotic”.

“conversely if people don’t care about the ascended armors, then they won’t feel penalized by missing out on great rewards because they don’t want to make something they don’t care for.”

I cannot support such way of thinking. Depriving people of great rewards, just because someone might feel penalized for not caring to do the work.

Pandaman.4758

I cannot support such way of thinking. Depriving people of great rewards, just because someone might feel penalized for not caring to do the work.

And I can’t really support the idea of adding even more rewards on top of the three sets of end-game armor people will already have from getting the achievement. I understand you want achievements to be a goal, but as long as you’re getting said sets of armor for your effort how can you feel deprived of anything?

Now if you were arguing that the effort for ascended armor doesn’t actually reflect the rewards (because of how ANet rigged the damask recipe) and that calls for additional compensation in the form of the achievement reward, then I would totally agree with that sentiment.

IceVyper.6810

The armor sets were not rewarded to me, I got them myself. Anet decided to put them in a collection with a reward, and that reward should have been an ascended item. I have already sugested a weapon box or a backpiece.

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I just see no incentive to finish any collections.
The ones with a semi-decent reward are locked behind pay walls or giant RNG.